Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 86  Next
 Post subject: Re: Please Read & Introduce Yourself!
PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 1:31 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Aha... then you might have more time for Middle-earthian deep delving and quoting. Or gardening... or whatever! Also please note my recent answer to your question about the Hammond and Scull books in another thread ["Possible Future Films"]...

... note the word count, I mean :-D

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 1:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Already noted - you are capable of sufficient brevity when appropriate, apparently. :swoon: :laugh:

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 2:00 pm 
Istari
Istari

Welcome Finde! Hope you enjoy your time hear.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 3:39 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hello Elthir! Thank you for the welcome! No, Findë is not my real name. I was being in Tolkien’s world with the name and the naming. My parents know nothing about Tolkien, his world, or my time in it.

It is actually the name of a sword that one of my characters inherited in a very old RP. When I decided to join A-U, I wanted a different user name from my others and liked Findë. I do know the reference to Glorfindel but the rest is all new to me. Thank you for the lesson!

I admit right off, I know nothing about Tolkien’s languages, so it is wonderful to meet someone with such a great knowledge of them.

I like to use Quenya in my RP’s because it’s such an unused language. And I like the way the words sound. I have found the words and their definitions on various sites, and refer to them when I need Quenya words to sprinkle through my stories. With so many people these days speaking more than one language, I like to reflect that in my Tolkien-related stories.

But, “hair” does fit in a “real” way, which I didn’t know. I used to have very long golden hair. During my teens and early twenties, it hung past my waist and was VERY straight. Girls I knew back then were ironing their curly hair and hated mine. :P It is now short, dark brown in the back and turning gray in the front.

I managed to find this old photo:

Thank you, Gandolorin for the welcome. Yes, I love a good game. I grew up playing Cribbage with my Dad and play Babble every morning. So I’ll be hanging out in the games forum. But RP, especially writing with others, is my real joy.

Elthir reminds me of Frodo’s quote upon meeting Gildor Inglorion: “Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”

:hug: Elthir! Any answer, regardless of the length, I am open to. I still have so much to learn!

Thank you, Captain, for the welcome! Your avi is :drool:-worthy!!!!!

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 4:55 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Finde, your hair reminds me of my own!!!!!!!!!!! Well.........a long, long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Dagnabbit - that's a whole different subject.

I find the discussion of lore and word roots thoroughly interesting, and I look forward to reading the banter, back and forth!

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 7:26 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hey SilverleafArtist! :o Might we be sisters from another mother? I'd love to see a photo of your findë if you have one. :D

Last edited by Findë on March 31st, 2017, 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 9:50 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Findë wrote:
Thank you for the welcome, Jax! I can't draw worth a darn -- the images I see or imagine just do not make it to my fingers... But, I can put things together and make them look nice or see something I think would look good in a photo and a lot of the times, it does.

I figured out what was wrong with my photo posting. :D It turns out that when I copy the url from postimg.org, it puts an "S" after HTTP. No idea why but this site won't accept that "S". So, I removed them and :o it worked! :D

One of the photos from my other post.

These are my bead boxes. A friend gave me the three box starter kit and I've added to it over the years. My husband gave me an old Dremel box into which fit the three bead boxes, my tools and extra storage.

Ah, yes. Youtube does that as well. As Durian has posted elsewhere on the forum, the S is for a secure web address which will not work with the links. Removing the S, as you discovered, solves that issue. I guess your name fits because it seems very cleaver of you to have figured that out. I think I would have been lost forever if someone else had not pointed that out to me. :P

Elthir wrote:
Welcome Finde... is this your real name [as seems suggested in an earlier post]?

When I saw it I thought "hair", especially when I saw your avatar picture [which I now know isn't you though]. Your parents probably know, but Quenya finde also means "hair", as there are two roots in play, one being SPIN- "fine thread, filament", and the other being the root PHIN- "skillful, neat, clever". For examples of the hair element, we have Quenya finde, findele "tress, lock", noting Laurefindele Sindarized as Glorfindel "Golden haired"

The two roots allowed Tolkien to change his mind about the name Finwe, for example, which he said (even after The Lord of the Rings was published) meant "man of manual skill", but in a later text he noted that the first element in Finwe was often later explained by the Common Eldarin PHIN "hair" [why it's not SPIN here, I can't say] "as in Quenya fine "a hair", finde "hair, especially of the head"... ... though then [same text] JRRT adds that this explanation seems doubtful, as all the Eldar had beautiful hair, and that "... there is no reference to Finwe as having had hair of exceptional length, abundance, or beauty beyond the measure of his people." JRRT, The Shibboleth of Feanor, The Peoples of Middle-earth

So Tolkien, in this late text, appears to leave the etymology of Finwe up in the air, playing his role of translator rather than author. Another name once associated with "cunning skill, magic" was Fingolfin for example, but in a late text Fingolfin became a Sindarization of the Quenya name Finwe Nolofinwe, which, if I write it this way, might help: Finwe N[g]olofinwe.

Actually, given the texts I've looked at, I'm not sure the exact form finde "cunning" survived from Qenya [an early form of the language that Tolkien imagined as a young man] into Quenya as it was imagined in the 1950s and later ["later" meaning after The Lord of the Rings was published]. The text known as Words Phrases And Passages [or WPP, a post-Lord of the Rings text] notes two forms finca "clever (in petty ways)" and finya "clever", but not finde specifically, as clever or cunning...

... but the good news is, also in WPP we still have attested finda "fine and delicately made" from the root PHIN "skillful, neat, clever", which itself is still in play as a root...

... and so, if finda were altered to a female name, its form could be Finde! [as -e can be a feminine suffix itself, displacing final -a here]. So your name still works out in the same semantic bowl as "cunning", in the sense of "skillful, clever", even if early Qenya finde "cunning" became obsolete in the much later linguistic scenario (it's certainly attested in early texts, in any case)

I know, it seemed like a lot of work to get full circle here... but for myself, I had fun doing it. And your name can still have a double meaning too, which is neat I think.

By the way... I'm interested in names :-D

Hehe, Elthir, I always do love reading your posts! I learn much and love how indepth you can get. :D

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:14 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Findë wrote:
Hey SilverleafArtist! :o Might we be sisters from another mother? I'd love to see a photo of your findë if you have one. :D

I'll have to dig deep for that.........perhaps, I can find one from long ago. Today, it's long, long (I can sit on it), but it's not lovely as it once was. That's okay because I'm embracing the streaks of silver, and I intend to have it highlighted with silver and gold at some point. More elven, I think. ;-)

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:35 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Finde, the wine glass charms are lovely! I love beads and glass stuff. It sort of ties in with ceramics, actually.

Nice, nice.......

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 10:53 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Thanks Jax! And Finde, I love that you brought up that "no and yes" quote!

And oddly enough [trivia alert], in "real life" exterior to the story, Tolkien actually changed his mind about the Quenya word for "yes"... and "no"!

Tolkien Linguist Thorsten Renk explained this in his guide to learning Quenya: "You see, there's no way to have a language in which lá can be both 'yes' and 'no' - so if you want to speak Quenya, you have to decide for one of them. But there's no good guideline of doing so - should we go with Tolkien's latest decisions? Then lá means 'no' in Quenya, but then, a lot of the material in LOTR gets pretty awkward interpretations, as Tolkien's late ideas of the grammar are quite different from his ideas by the time he wrote Namárië. Or should we go with what's closest to LOTR? Then lá is 'yes' - but we know that Tolkien eventually dismissed that idea. So in the end, it boils down to an editor's choice which one to use."

Sorry, couldn't help myself... again.

Some of my posts can be used as sleep aides, by the way! :zzsoft:

PostPosted: March 30th, 2017, 11:07 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Elthir, I find it all quite fascinating. That someone gave so much thought to what they envisioned that they could create different languages, scripting, etc.........it's mesmerizing to me.

I was introduced to Tolkien in 1975. My teacher was playing albums during study hall of all of the lays and songs from the LOTR trilogy, put to music, and all of that. We thought he'd gone absolutely nuts, but he explained what we were hearing, and then spoke about the trilogy until the bell rang for the next class.

There is SO much lore that I'll never retain, so your explanations are appreciated!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 7:31 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Findë, those 'wine charms' are cool! It would help in identification especially when the inebriation kicks in. :)

Silverleaf, I to was introduce to Middle Earth in 1975!

Elthir, your in depth posts are really educational to me. I get a different insight from reading them.

And yes, that bloody 's'... most of these sites designed and set up in the oughies don't cater to secure urls. I can't even log in on firefox anymore without it telling me I'm about to log into an unsecured site.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 8:05 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Thanks Silverleaf and Durian... and we are 70s brethren in one sense, I see -- 1973 for me, I think I was somewhere in The Fellowship of the Ring when Tolkien passed on.

I know I had started the books in any case. Still have [slightly updated] 70s hair!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 9:43 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

.........Changed my site name from SilverleafArtist.

YAY!!!

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 1:33 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

*Groan* :huh:

I see that this site is going to be giving me more issues than CoE. There, you could change avatars (pics) and siggies, but not user names. Don't blame me if I occasionally address you in a post with "Hi, new here?" :hiya:

PostPosted: March 31st, 2017, 5:20 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax - I just looked at other URL's on other photos and saw that theirs didn't have any S's. It had to be the difference. :)

Dig deep, Silmalassë. :P And I agree with Gandolorin... I thought I had put the wrong name in my post about being sisters, so I changed it, and THEN read that you had changed your member name. That's not possible on any of the sites I belong to. It makes it kinda crazy to follow some threads because in some Durían is referred to as Hanasian... :blink:

But thank you for the compliment on my wine charms. Yes, ceramics tie into beads and glass. They all require creativity. I used to make copper enameling jewelry. It looks glass like once its fired.

Elthir, I agree with Silmalassë that someone gave so much thought to creating a language, but I’m equally impressed that you know so much about it when it’s not a readily spoken or written language! You really have a love for it! I’ll learn all I can from you!

Thank you, Durían for the compliment. The charms are so much fun to make.

My Mom handed me The Hobbit in the summer of ’69, between my junior and senior years in high school and said, “You might like this...”. When I finished it, I went right out and bought my own paperback set of The Hobbit and LotR. They are well loved, having read them nearly every year for the following 20 or so years, but I have a fairly new set, a gift from someone I met online who visited me. :D

Elthir, what’s ‘70’s hair, Precious?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1367 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 ... 86  Next