Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 103  Next
 Post subject: Re: There and Back Again
PostPosted: March 7th, 2017, 11:22 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
I would just like to let everyone know that we have had wild fires all over the country side and had to evacuate yesterday evening. Just got back home but we have no electricity and there are still fires all around us across the country side. Not sure how much I will be able to be on until we get electricity back and there is talk of the towns around being evacuated again if the fires get close once more... which it is Looking like that is a good possability at the moment.

So, if I dissapear for a time, I'll try and be back as soon as possible.

Stay safe mate.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 3:00 am 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

This fire-situation sounds pretty serious, Jax! :( I hope it gets resolved soon. Stay safe! :)

Return of the Rings 2011- make it happen

sig.set:by me;
my unbiological sissy is Aerlinn

PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 11:17 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

OUCH! That sound like serious §$%&ß@€µ#! Hoping it gets under control quickly! I'm guessing Australia? I'm a bit spotty about following news currently, mostly because a bunch of European politicians are raising utterly moronic issues that just make me want to gag (almost) ...

PostPosted: March 9th, 2017, 7:27 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Keep your family and yourself safe Jax. I hope things are under control soon.

PostPosted: March 10th, 2017, 2:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

Sorry to hear that Jax! Your in my prayers.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 10th, 2017, 8:22 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Well, thankfuly we got power back yesterday night and most of the fires are under control. There are a few remaining patches still burning but all small and not close to houses or anything.

Not entirely back to normal around here but looks like the worst is past.

Gandolorin I am in the US actually, just a really dry part... lol We have been in a drought for the past 8 years. :/

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 10th, 2017, 11:07 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

JAX! Good to see you here on the other side! Had to be rather stressful! Glad everything is mostly ok!

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 12th, 2017, 6:26 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Yes it was, still is in a way due to not getting as much sleep as usual. lol But yes, thankfully it's over and here is hoping they don't have more crop up with the continued high fire danger.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 4:27 pm 
Istari
Istari

Glad to hear things are turning around Jax!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 13th, 2017, 7:16 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Thanks. :D It's nice to be back and see everyone's posts here on AU again. :D

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:30 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Just to let everyone know I have been quite busy lately. I'm going to have to build some new pens for some more goats I am getting and keep a close eye on them until they settle in. There are possibilities of me changing jobs yet again due to some issues at my current job. Also, to top it all off, now that it is warming up we are going to try and get a garden in and do some out door projects.

So... I will still be posting on the site but my activity may be reduced for quite some time. Those who i am in an RP with hopefully can expect st least one reply a day on the busy RPs and I will try not to fall behind. Otherwise posts will come as I have time.

PostPosted: April 4th, 2017, 10:51 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Jax Nova wrote:
Just to let everyone know I have been quite busy lately. I'm going to have to build some new pens for some more goats I am getting and keep a close eye on them until they settle in. There are possibilities of me changing jobs yet again due to some issues at my current job. Also, to top it all off, now that it is warming up we are going to try and get a garden in and do some out door projects.

So... I will still be posting on the site but my activity may be reduced for quite some time. Those who i am in an RP with hopefully can expect st least one reply a day on the busy RPs and I will try not to fall behind. Otherwise posts will come as I have time.

Hoping everything is well on the employment front. I've been getting busier at work as well, and I may have gotten spoiled writing a lot at work for the RPs during the slow Feb/March time. Yeah that will be happening less.

Anyway... don't worry too much about Kin Strife, it moves at its own speed. As for the others, we'll work around it all.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 5th, 2017, 8:59 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax, you need to take care of those goats! My Granny owned and milked 100 goats a day in Cottonwood, in North/Central California back in the late '40's before I was born. She adored goats. But, she did that for only a few years. It got to be too much.

Do you drink the milk or plan to sell it? I babysat a little boy who couldn't digest cow milk so they put him on goat milk and he did fine. Interesting the difference it made.

PostPosted: April 7th, 2017, 11:08 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Thanks Hanasian. It's all good for the most part on the job... it's just the job I have is very demanding. We work 8 hour days but we don't get paid for getting all our equipment ready, getting it on, and getting on to the production floor... so that's like an extra 45 minutes every morning we have to go through to get ready and yet no pay. Then we don't get paid for washing/cleaning our equipment at the end of the day and getting it all put away. So another 30 minutes we have to do but yet no pay. Also (it's at a meat packing plant) you have a new piece of meat that you have to process, cut to exact dimensions, take bones off and extra fat etc... and you have a new piece every 5 seconds.... with no opportunity to stop or slow down because it is all on a conveyor belt that never stops. We do get two breaks in the day but the one is only 15 minutes and the second 30... but the break starts the moment we put down our knife and it takes 5 of our 15 minutes just to get off the production floor, get all the way up to the second story and use the restroom etc... then you have 5 minutes to get all the way back down to the first floor and get a drink and a bit to eat then another 5 to put your lunchbox and cell phone or whatever you have away and get your gear back on and get back on the floor before the conveyor belt starts up again... and to make things worse the guy I work with likes to skip his pieces every now and then... leaving me to pick up his slack at the end of the line which makes for a very difficult day.... so..... I am thinking... maybe this should have gone in the rant thread.... O_o

Anywhooo..... Finde. :D lol Yes, I love goats too! I used to have about 125 or more but I only milked a handful of them. We have been in a drought for like 9 years now and this year and last finally things are starting to improve a bit. But while we were very dry we had to sell most all our goats and since I had to get a regular job then I quite milking and sold the milk goats. Now I miss the milk, to which to answer your question I intend on drinking it. I love raw milk... so much so I can't drink store bought milk... it tastes nasty to me.

PostPosted: April 8th, 2017, 4:15 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

I find your description of you work fascinating, Jax, it it so far away from my own experience with work. I'm one of the pencil pushers (guess that term dates me a bit), or now keyboard peckers. Commercial side, business administration, project controlling with quite a bit of contact with accounting. The closest I came to your current job was when I did summer vacation jobs in 1973 and 1974 in the then still existent garment district on 10th avenue in New York, Manhattan. Lugging rolls of cloth from storage (they were stacked horizontally like logs) to the cutters a couple of floors above (they had the cutting matrices which helped them cut stacks of at least ten, maybe fifteen or even twenty, layers of this cloth - we're talking velvet jacket thickness - with minimal wastage). I could write a slim book about everything I did in those 20 weeks (8 in 1973 and 12 in 1974), also about the guys (the only women were the secretaries in th offices) I worked with. People whom I, under normal circumstances would never had the chance of meeting. And my life experience would have been poorer, narrower in many aspects if I had missed that. It was the time my, excuse my French, "bulls**t-detector" got its first fine-tuning. I was only a kid of 17 at the time (lawd, did I feel, naively and ignorantly wrong, grown-up after having graduated high-school!), so perhaps impressionable enough for that lesson. Few later experiences could compare to those two summer jobs.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2017, 10:15 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Jax - your description of your work exhausted me just reading it! :o The time constraints and bullying by your co-worker are surprising. Wouldn't you all be happier and work better if your time to set up and clean up were included in your paid time? And you had enough time to have a decent lunch break? After all, you're using their equipment aren't you, in order to do a job for them, and when you feel good about your job after a rest and meal, you ultimately do a better job! Maybe it’s too obvious... Your situation sounds like a real challenge. I’m glad you have your family (and goats) to balance it out.

I have never understood the penny-pinching managers/owners. My other favorite owner, whose company processed discs that IBM eventually turned into hard drives, paid us more than we were worth in admin, and more than the going rate for line workers. ALL of us would have done anything (that wasn't illegal) for him. We loved going to work. And, when I wasn't busy, I'd go work the line, diamond scribing a number on the disks.

I think the difference between him and some of my other bosses who thought I was their mini-me manager, he was still the manager and I had volunteered to do the scribing. I wasn’t managing anyone.

I think another reason was he was an immigrant from Croatia who came to the States when he was 20 with a few dollars in his pocket and ended up making his own American dream. He knew what it was to struggle and he didn’t want his workers to struggle. He wanted them happy and healthy to be there to do the job. A concept that worked.

Gandolorin wrote:
(lawd, did I feel, naively and ignorantly wrong, grown-up after having graduated high-school!)

Didn't we all? Capable of conquering the world! :karate:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1638 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100 ... 103  Next