Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 27th, 2024, 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Oh boy, Nostalgia is setting in... :(
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 10:10 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I haven't gotten uber LOTR Nostalgic in awhile, but ever since joining the forum a few days ago it's been bad. 2001-2004 (Extended Editions COUNT) were good years to begin with and throw the LOTR mania I lived and breathed everyday during that time period and...wooh boy. :blush:

Can anyone sympathize, Amen me or even a heck yeah?

I'd like to hear how everyone handles life post extended editions...

Last edited by LOTRforever21 on October 10th, 2006, 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 4:22 pm 
Vala
Vala

Oh, I miss the years when everyone, not only me, was in a LotR mania so much... and I'll look at the pictures of me dressed up as an elf at RotK on opening day, or read my journal entries where I go on and on about how wonderful going to the movies in theaters was... or remember watching all the extended editions for the first time, noticing every tiny bit of extended, even if it was just a few seconds...

And now so many people are just forgetting it, though I still love it... and they stopped making the official fanclub magazine (I actually cried reading the last edition of that)... and it's so very sad!

A few weeks ago, we saw a commercial for the new special edition DVDs, and it was the first LotR commercial I'd seen in years. I got majorly sentimental, and actually started crying. Foolish as that might sound... yeah.

I'm always looking for others who still remember the beauty of the story, who, like me, are still totally in love with it. I think the only way I can handle life post extended editions is by seeking out other fans who still share a passion for it.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 6:37 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Yeah I sooo miss the LotR mania as well. But here in New Zealand is actually much more left of it than in Germany (of course, since the movies were filmed here). I think it's really good to look into the window of a book shop and see a Gollum statue there or that a bookshop has got its own Tolkien section. In Germany I can't find things like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 7:16 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I remember seeing the first teaser of the films back in 2000 (I think it was). It was the hero Fellowship shot from "The Ring Goes South" sequence where they all go past the camera and it said accross the screen: "The Fellowship of the Ring - December, 2001", "The Two Towers - December, 2002" and "The Return of the King - December, 2003" and I remember thinking how far away that December, 2003 release felt back then! Boy did it all go by so fast!

I can definitely feel ya on this one. I do miss being "in it", if you know what I mean. Thank Gods we have the Complete Recordings and Limited Edition releases (and hopefully other future special releases), at least there is still new Lord of the Rings stuff coming out, it's not officially dead or anything.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 7:17 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

It's definitely NOT dead or anything cuz luckily we have this forum here where we can keep our obsession alive :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 9:34 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Thanks for commenting all!
AF-
Quote:
or remember watching all the extended editions for the first time, noticing every tiny bit of extended, even if it was just a few seconds...
Oh, I hear ya darlin' I hear ya. :hug:

Fir-I miss the displays too. :( Yes, we do keep it alive.

Child-Holy Moly, it did go by fast didn't it... :frust:

:sigh: I hope PJ does make the hobbit. If only to see Ian as Gandalf the Grey again.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 1st, 2006, 10:20 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

If The Hobbit ever does get made, it had better be with PJ, Weta Workshop/Digital, Ian McKellen, Ian Holm and Andy Serkis!

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2006, 7:24 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

OMIGOD you are so right!! Lotr is like, the essence of my being. At school I'm known as "That Lord of the Rings Girl", and at home it's "Galadriel". I'm not kidding! And yes, that's all fine and dandy, but I really miss the good ol' days, when you could have a decent LotR conversation with just about anyone, not just your fellow ringers. *sigh* I suppose we can sort of re-live those times at this forum, kind of... I mean, we are all LotR fans, right??? Lol you brought up a good topic, LOTRforever21!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 4th, 2006, 9:07 pm 
Maia
Maia

I miss the days when you could mention LotR, and generally, people would know what you were talking about. Then, it was pop culture. While annoying it may have been, at least people didn't label you as weird for simply cracking a hobbit joke. ;)

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 12:28 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Well, the place where I have lived has always been an empty desert as far as any form of fantasy is concerned, so I'm kinda used to it. LOTR fandom was mostly between my mom and me until I mention either Numenoreans or Rohirrim to the point where I have to be reminded that "it is not real". OF COURSE IT IS REAL. :P But back then at least people would have seen it and if nothing else commented on Orlando Bloom. Now, they freakin' can't even tell it apart from Harry Potter and I get sooo ticked off.

All my fandom rantings have been, for the most part, on online forums and now that many of them no longer exist I am really upset since sooo many darn good RPs and whatnot are lost. It's when I saw the LOTR musical in Toronto that I saw hope again...

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 5th, 2006, 10:51 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Child of Óðinn wrote:
If The Hobbit ever does get made, it had better be with PJ, Weta Workshop/Digital, Ian McKellen, Ian Holm and Andy Serkis!

You can't forget Howard Shore! He must do the music. 8)

I'm still obssesed. I still quote LOTR every day, but I try not to be tooo obssesed otherwise my mom kinda says "That's enough." My dad and I still talk about LOTR and my sister really likes it. Which is really nice.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1090576/ be sure to check out my LOTR stories!
Image I'm not obsessed, honest, not obsessed, not obsessed.... I LOVE LOTR!!!!!!!!! Okay, maybe I am obsessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2006, 4:51 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I think I'm just as [s]obsessed[/s] possessed as always.. the movies have actually set me on my career path in the wonderful world of art.

But, I really do miss the days when anyone and everyone knew what LotR was and you could have a decent conversation, and the hype of the movies coming out and the rumours of this and that. Every now and then, I just sit and think to back then, and I realise.. that it was probably one of the most enjoyable and funnest times of my life so far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2006, 10:27 am 

That's why I love this forum so much. Other Ringers to talk to! I am like the only one in my entire town who still enjoys LotR. It's sad.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2006, 3:32 pm 
Maia
Maia

Nurrantiel wrote:
That's why I love this forum so much. Other Ringers to talk to! I am like the only one in my entire town who still enjoys LotR. It's sad.

Hear, hear!!

It's absolutely pitiful down here, the rage is all with Harry Potter, and no one really gives 2 cents for LotR, 'cept me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2006, 5:48 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Simple, I watch all the making of stuff, and the historical Tolkien parts. Then I watch and read the story again.

Translation of the blade.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 7th, 2006, 8:14 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

Leonder wrote:
Child of Óðinn wrote:

You can't forget Howard Shore! He must do the music. 8)

I'm still obssesed. I still quote LOTR every day, but I try not to be tooo obssesed otherwise my mom kinda says "That's enough." My dad and I still talk about LOTR and my sister really likes it. Which is really nice.

:duh: ah how stupid of me, of course Howard Shore must do the music! :D