Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Was it wrong to offer a regular cut, then the extended DVDs?
PostPosted: October 6th, 2006, 7:44 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I bought FOTR long after it came out on DVD. I had never read the book, nor saw the film in the theater. Had no interest. Finally saw part of it at a friends house (the fight in Moria), and was stunned. I instantly bought the DVD and loved it. Read the book, ditto.

One thing that bugged me a little was I found ot the day I bought the first DVD, that 1 month later they were releasing the extended cut. I was kinda ticked off as I'd just spent the money, now I've gotta spend more on the same film to see the extra footage.
Of course, I learned not to make that mistake again, but am I the only one who felt annoyed?

Translation of the blade.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2006, 11:37 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

I was a bit peeved off. I bought all three movies in original cut and about 4 moth later I had to buy the extended cut with the promise of all the extended scenes so I know ur pain lol.
Namarie!!!!!

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2006, 6:57 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I learned from the first time, although I did buy the regular DVD's anyway and gave them to my father wholives in AZ (I'm in NY).
Only problem is, he still hasn't watched them.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2006, 7:05 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

thenm go over an dsay "lets watch all th eLOTR films one after the other" Its an endurance race as well as being a chance to introduce him to the movies.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 8th, 2006, 9:16 pm 
Vala
Vala

It didn't really bother me much, because they have different extras. I've spent hours and hours and hours watching the previews on my non-extended LotR copies. Also, for us who are on a low budget (*cough* like me *cough*) if we can't afford the extended, we can at least buy the non-extended (and let our parents buy the extended versions for us to borrow whenever). So it didn't really annoy me much.

What does kinda annoy me is that they're coming out with the new special editions. I think they should have come out with these instead of the old extended editions.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 9th, 2006, 1:31 pm 
Istari
Istari

I agree M8, they should have origianlly released the extended DVD's. And fair dos to u being honest, my LOTR budget isnt huge but am gonna get a sat job to help me get more stuff.
Hannon Le for ur input. Namarie!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2006, 7:38 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Altariel Frodo wrote:
It didn't really bother me much, because they have different extras. I've spent hours and hours and hours watching the previews on my non-extended LotR copies. Also, for us who are on a low budget (*cough* like me *cough*) if we can't afford the extended, we can at least buy the non-extended (and let our parents buy the extended versions for us to borrow whenever). So it didn't really annoy me much.

What does kinda annoy me is that they're coming out with the new special editions. I think they should have come out with these instead of the old extended editions.

You do make a good point about not having ext. DVD $$$, and an even better one about the later SE DVD's. That's irritating!!!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2006, 9:03 am 
Istari
Istari

i didn't mind them releasing two versions, but i thought it was wrong of them not to announce that fact when the theatrical edition of fotr was released - it wasn't fair to let people buy the theatrical edition and then tell them there was gonna be an extended version so they were gonna have to spend more money. obviously by the time it got to ttt and rotk people already knew so it didn't matter.

i did hate having to wait even longer for the extended edition though.

**MY BOOK**

~ proud to be a shieldmaiden for christ ~
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2006, 1:14 pm 
Istari
Istari

Thats just to make a few extra bob from all us lotr fans who love the books.
Its not very nice, doin that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2006, 6:00 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

Well actually it was announced through websites, magazines etc that after the theatrical release of each film, there would be a SE. Now most companies don't let people know, but for LOTR it was made known so if people wanted to by one or the other they could. As someone mentioned, both theatrical DVD's and SE contain different features, so if you are really interested in how they made LOTR, buying both sets shouldn't really matter. This new set, I heard rumours about when ROTK came out and PJ did say that they would release more footage and features in the future. Again, with King Kong, there will be a 3 disc set coming out very shortly, but it was made known when the ordinary version was released. :-)

^ By me and my SS *squiggle hugs*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2006, 7:27 pm 
Istari
Istari

I didnt hear that Johnnys fan? how long did us say after the release?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2006, 10:18 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

Location: Where there are handsome heroes and sexy villains.. all that need some lovin' ;)

EonwesBestMate wrote:
I didnt hear that Johnnys fan? how long did us say after the release?

I think it was pretty much announced when the release date for the theatrical version was made known. It may even have been mentioned on the theatrical DVD's. :-)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2006, 3:57 pm 
Istari
Istari

Didnt hear that news M8 oh well. I got my big sis to get me the extended edition boxset 4 last crimbo so it is cool, But I hear Altariel Frodos ppoint botu not have much spare wonga to spend on DVDS and stuff. Too true.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 13th, 2006, 7:32 pm 
Welcomator
Welcomator

EonwesBestMate wrote:
Didnt hear that news M8 oh well. I got my big sis to get me the extended edition boxset 4 last crimbo so it is cool, But I hear Altariel Frodos ppoint botu not have much spare wonga to spend on DVDS and stuff. Too true.....

Oh, I agree but look at it this way - if everyone is happy with the version they have at the moment, then there's no reason for them all to rush out for these new ones - hopefully they will come down in price. That's what I usually do, I wait...like Shelob ready to pounce...:D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 14th, 2006, 2:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

^Yes, that's what I'll have to do. Either that, or beg my parents for them for Christmas...

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2006, 5:23 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yeh buy them when u can or have the inclination to lol, I didnt say rush out and buy them immediately lol!!!!!