Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lord of the Rings Extended Version Released on Blu Ray
PostPosted: June 29th, 2011, 1:18 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Well the wait is over! :)
I have been waiting for 4 months now for June 28th to come so I could grab the extended versions of the movies on blu ray & am so happy to have them now!!!

This time they totally remastered FotR & it looks awesome as do the others. When they transferred FotR the first time to blu ray it wasn't the best.

The package that it comes in is absolutely beautiful with all of the gold. Suprisingly they put each movie on 2 discs. When they transferred them to blu ray everyone thought for sure they would go on one disc. But I am guessing they went ahead & put each movie on 2 discs to provide the best posible picture quality you could ever imagine.

Each movie has it's own very nice case as for all 3 movies in total there are 15 discs. There are 6 for the movies & then 26 hours of lots of great extras. Plus you get a digital copy of each movie to transfer to whatever digital device you want to watch it on like an iPod.

Very basic breakdown of the discs:

Fellowship of the Ring: discs 1&2 contain the movie in blu ray. Also 4 commentaries from over 30 people like the director, cast, writers, ect.
Disc 3: The Appendices Part 1: From Book to Vision; wich contains 6 documentaries including covering JRR Tolkien, visit to WETA Workshop, ect..... Interactive Midle Earth map tracking the journey of the fellowship.
Disc 4: The Appendices Part 2: From Vision to Reality; More documentaries & galleries of behind the scene photos.
Disc 5: FotR Behind the Scenes: These are the rare videos made by Costa Botes who PJ hand picked to do a behind the scenes while the movies were being made...These were on the platinum edition extended version of the movies wich I owned & they are very good.

The Two Towers: Discs 6&7 contain the movie in blu ray. Also 4 commentaries.
Disc 8: The Appendices part 3: The Journey Continues; Explores how the book was adapted to a screenplay plus much more.
Disc 9: The Appendices Part 4: The vattle for Middle Earth Begins: This one contains 8 more documentaries with just too much to list but it all looks awesome!!!
Disc 10: The Two Towers behind the Scenes: More footage from Costa Botes.

Return of the King: Discs 11&12 contains the movie in blu ray....Also 4 commentaries
Disc 13: Thed Appendices Part 5: The War of the Ringl; 6 more documentaries on how the book was adapted to screenplay. Plus 2 more interactive maps of Middle earth & more.
Disc 14: The Appendices Part 6: The Passing of an Age: Plenty more stuff but what stood out to me was there is a touching tribute as cast members say goodbye to Middle Earth & their characters.
Disc 15: The Return of the King: Behind the Scenes; The last part of Costa Botes behind the scenes footage.

Well that is all I am gonna post about it as there is plenty i didn't take the time to post. I can't see how any fan would not enjoy this as your getting about 11.5 hours of the greatest movies ever! plus around 26 hours of extra footage. Remeber the Movies are in stunning Blu Ray Hi Definition, but the extra footage is in standard definition. Right now almost everywhere has this on sale for $70! I don't see how any LOTR's fan can get any more of Midle earth any cheaper. Well I wrote this small article in hopes that somebody will grab this & enjoy as much as I have. I LOVE LOTR's & to me this is a dream package for any LOTR fan!

Have a great day!!!

P.S. I hope nobody else had already posted about this LotR EE on Blu Ray & gave the details as I looked & could not find anything about it. But if the did please remove my post as I would never try & post over what somebody has already covered.

Post subject: Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Version Released on Blu Ray
PostPosted: June 30th, 2011, 5:48 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

When the whole idea of Blu-ray first came out, I said the only movie worth making HD was Lord of the Rings. I finally have my wish. Halleluiah!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Lord of the Rings Extended Version Released on Blu Ray
PostPosted: July 21st, 2011, 7:43 pm 
Istari
Istari

oh goodness, would that I had $70 laying around somewhere. :) I saw the boxed set of blu-ray discs at Best Buy, along with a big (but not big enough! :P ) poster of a few characters next to it. it will be on my christmas list. :)

thanks for the Hobbit Team banner, Lembas!