Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Staffs
PostPosted: August 16th, 2005, 3:20 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Someone mentioned on another thread about how cool Gandalf the White's staff was and I thought I'd bring up something I always wondered about.

Did anybody else notice how it was never really explained how the staff become something more than a simple length of wood? I mean, Saruman takes Gandalf's staff in Orthanc and doesn't give it back... yet by the Council of Elrond, he has another staff which looked slightly different. And again when Gandalf's staff is broken in Minas Tirith by the Witch King... he has it again by the coronation (I think, Grey Havens at the latest).

Is it just the case that wizards could take an ordinary staff and bestow their magic and power upon it? Or did the Elves keep a supply out back? Ok that might sound silly, but the design of these things were unique and at least one of Gandalf the Grey's staffs looked like it had Elvish patterns carved into it. I know the movies didn't have the time to explain such trivial things but I sure would like to know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2005, 11:31 am 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

I believe it is the elves... but I am not sure. *Begins checking his reference books*

Post subject: Re: Staffs
PostPosted: August 16th, 2005, 5:30 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Laivindur of Isengard wrote:
Someone mentioned on another thread about how cool Gandalf the White's staff was and I thought I'd bring up something I always wondered about.

Did anybody else notice how it was never really explained how the staff become something more than a simple length of wood? I mean, Saruman takes Gandalf's staff in Orthanc and doesn't give it back... yet by the Council of Elrond, he has another staff which looked slightly different. And again when Gandalf's staff is broken in Minas Tirith by the Witch King... he has it again by the coronation (I think, Grey Havens at the latest).

Is it just the case that wizards could take an ordinary staff and bestow their magic and power upon it? Or did the Elves keep a supply out back? Ok that might sound silly, but the design of these things were unique and at least one of Gandalf the Grey's staffs looked like it had Elvish patterns carved into it. I know the movies didn't have the time to explain such trivial things but I sure would like to know!

Oh - that's a very very good point! Also, Gandalf's staff changes to a white, smoother stick when he becomes Gandalf the White. Hmm . . . that's a good point. I'd like to know too. But as for Elves having control of the supply . . . I'm not sure because would that mean that the Elves had more power than a wizard like Gandalf? Possibly, but I don't know if it makes that much sense. . . Interesting . . . :bye2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2005, 8:08 pm 

Well it's quite obvious that Gandalf is the Valar's favorite Maia, since he was the only one that actually STUCK TO HIS MISSION unlike the others. *sigh*

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2005, 8:46 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Kitoky wrote:
Well it's quite obvious that Gandalf is the Valar's favorite Maia, since he was the only one that actually STUCK TO HIS MISSION unlike the others. *sigh*

Yes of course Kit! :-D Gandalf is great. Though I do wonder what relevance that has to this topic? :confused: lol..

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17th, 2005, 12:01 am 

Laivindur of Isengard wrote:
Kitoky wrote:

Yes of course Kit! :-D Gandalf is great. Though I do wonder what relevance that has to this topic? :confused: lol..

xD I was caught up in the humor of it all, I forgot my point.

:blush:

I've somehow believed that the Valar would always be providing Gandy with new and improved staffs everytime he needed one.

Or maybe PJ just got too carried away with the whole staff fiasco.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 17th, 2005, 10:45 pm 

That is a pretty good pointy Kitoky. I'm sure the Valar have a never ending supply of staffs for Gandalf. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19th, 2005, 12:07 am 

Oh, stop petting my ego.

Here comes another one of my cheesy script writing.

[Gandalf whips out the phone carved from a mellorn tree of Lothlorien.]

GANDALF: [hushed] Psst! Valar, sir! Sir?!

VALAR: [booming voice] What is it NOW, Dalfie?

GANDALF: [nervously] Well...well y'see....I mean...I know you warned me no---

VALAR: Another staff GONE, is it?

GANDALF: N-No! Well...well, yes...BUT!

VALAR: How many times must we tell you about your staff, Mithrandir!

GANDALF: [wincing] Eh...alot?

VALAR: .....

GANDALF: Right, sarcasm is not appreciated.

VALAR: Thou will find a staff from Elrond. Next time, DO think about the PEOPLE that you need for these supplies!

GANDALF: ...Yes, sir.

VALAR: [beep beep beep beep]

[Gandalf heaves a sigh and hangs up, grumbling.]

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Last edited by Kitoky on August 20th, 2005, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19th, 2005, 10:34 pm 
Elf
Elf

LOL Kitoky!!! :-D You really have a talent with those things! Did you enter the parody contest at the A-U.com site?

So he did indeed get the staff...

Elrond: (walking along in gardens)

Staff: (appears, falls right on Elrond's head) THWACK!!

Elrond: (thud)

Gandalf: (comes into garden) Hello? Elrond? Do you have my STAFF yet?! (stops) Oh, there you are! (picks up new staff and walks away) Thank you very much!

Elrond: (foot twitches)

:P I'll never be as good as you Kitoky!

^ *sniffles* Thank you all so much! I'm so...so honored...*dabs at eyes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 19th, 2005, 11:11 pm 

StardomeGirl wrote:
LOL Kitoky!!! :-D You really have a talent with those things! Did you enter the parody contest at the A-U.com site?

So he did indeed get the staff...

Elrond: (walking along in gardens)

Staff: (appears, falls right on Elrond's head) THWACK!!

Elrond: (thud)

Gandalf: (comes into garden) Hello? Elrond? Do you have my STAFF yet?! (stops) Oh, there you are! (picks up new staff and walks away) Thank you very much!

Elrond: (foot twitches)

:P I'll never be as good as you Kitoky!

Omg xD That had me rolling! [No I don't really enter contests, it would be unfair to the members if a mod entered...I don't know, but I just try not to enter contests.]

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2005, 12:18 am 
Elf
Elf

Yeah, I guess you're right. And you know why? 'Cause you'd win. ;) I'm going to be looking for more of those cute little scripties of yours around here! :-D

^ *sniffles* Thank you all so much! I'm so...so honored...*dabs at eyes*

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2005, 1:40 am 
Elf
Elf

That is a good point! :blink: Got me confused! I'm assuming the Valar would have automatically gave Gandalf his new white one though. Maybe he just calls the Valars up and BAM!!! a new staff. Which would be cool in my opinion. I love your scripting by the way, Kitoky!

(Witchking scene) -Pippen & Gandalf on Shadowfax

Pippen: Why is it, that you always appear with a new staff?
Gandalf: I'll tell you one thing, they're not for free! You know wizards get angry easily. Don't temp me!
Pippen: After you break 'em, some get stolen, yatta yatta
Gandalf: Hobbits....
Witchking: (Makes cool entrance and breaks staff!)
Gandalf: Stupid devil broke my staff! They don't accept REFUNDS either!!! You wanna a PEICE OF ME!!!
Witchking: For the last time, I'm called the Witchking! :disgust: FEAR ME!!! But please, call me Richard.
(Horn Calls)
Gandalf: That's right you better fly! :explode: Pippen! Come along! You'll about to find out how I pay for my staffs. :annoyed2:

Capt. Jack: Shoot him and cut out his tongue! Then shoot his tongue!..and trim that scraggly beard.

yAAAy! The <a href="http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/dec2007/tc20071218_443372.htm">Hobbit movie</a> is back on!!! Movie buffs get excited!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2005, 2:40 am 

:laugh: Oh my, eowynfaramir4eva. *cries* Ah, it's just so funny. "But please, call me Richard." XD!!!!!

Perhaps we should get back to the point. My guess would be the elves have an ever so stack of staffs for every wizard...except Saruman of course. Radagast probably doesn't need any...

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2005, 6:18 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

What about the BLUE wizards? I want to hear about them! I wonder if their staffs were blue?

Go team Blue! :blink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2005, 11:16 am 

The Blue Wizards are Alatar and Pallando whom travelled very far east. Many speculate that they became some sort of minion to Sauron and/or died.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 20th, 2005, 1:55 pm 
Futon-Revolutionist
Futon-Revolutionist

Kitoky wrote:
The Blue Wizards are Alatar and Pallando whom travelled very far east. Many speculate that they became some sort of minion to Sauron and/or died.

I thought Tolkien never put names on those two. The Complete Guide To Middle-earth does not mention them. You learn something new every day... :blink:

Last edited by tim4x on August 20th, 2005, 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.