Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Do you tell your friends in real life about LOTR fans
PostPosted: September 11th, 2005, 4:56 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Do you tell people at school or at work that you are a LOTR fan? Most of the time when I tell somebody they give me this look :blink:

It makes me nuts. I have to discuss my LOTR fandom online. It would be nice to talk about it at work.

Does this happen to any of you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2005, 11:31 pm 
Vala
Vala

oh yeah! My friends give me that look every time I talk about LOTR. In one of my classes, the teacher has his playlist on, and he had LOTR music on it, and I blurted "That's from LOTR!!"
I got a classroom full of those looks, plus a few :jawdrop:

I still do talk about it! But it would be nicer to be able to talk about it more freely!

Proud mum of Gilthoniel! And proud grandmum of Nerissa!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2005, 11:42 pm 
Istari
Istari

Unfortunatly only one of my friends has actually seen to movie. And the others haven't even read the books. They think I'm nuts when I talk about how great the movie is, how cute the guys are, or how cool all the characters are. And they give blank looks whenever I start quoting from the movie and look a little shocked when I do my Gollum voice- yesss preciouss they doessss :lol: . I feel sort of sorry for them, missing out on the best movie ever made.

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2005, 11:48 pm 
Vala
Vala

they agree with how cute the guys are, but they prefer movies like Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants. I prefer LOTR!

Proud mum of Gilthoniel! And proud grandmum of Nerissa!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 1:18 pm 

most of the people i interact with are already fans or semi-fans of lotr...but those random people at school don't really get it when i say i'm obsessive over lotr. they watch all these other movies that i haven't even seen...(probably because there's a lot of bad stuff in them). i guess i'm 'sheltered', but i shelter myself...lol...anyway, yeah. they don't know what they're missing, but i guess everyone has their likes and dislikes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 2:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

To be honest, the subject rarely comes up at work. But I one guy who used to work in my office was a real LotR nut - and had been for years. In fact when he found out that I liked the films, he made me promise to read the book when I had seen RotK (a promise that I will never regret keeping).

We get a lot of letters in our office and so we started this little competition between us as to who could find the most LotR references in the letters that we dealt with. For example - if we got letters with the from people with surnames like 'Underhill' or 'Proudfoot' or 'Took' we could count the name towards our total. We came across houses called 'Rivendell' or 'Lothlorien' as well, along with streets named after Pippin (loads of them) Aragorn, and Faramir - I even found a reference to a cleaning product called 'White Wizard'.

We had to stop in the end when he was transferred to another office, but it made the day go a little faster!

Be alert - the world needs more lerts :guitar:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 7:45 pm 

A lot of my friends are into LotR just as much as I am and we discuss it a lot, but some of my other friends haven't seen the books or the movies and so it is hard to talk to them about LotR. So, we usually just talk about other things. :)

At work, (if you call baby-sitting work) the two girls I baby-sit (they are 7) have seen parts of LotR, and love to play "hobbits". It's actually quite fun! :blush:

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 16th, 2005, 10:40 pm 
Maia
Maia

I usally don't talk about it much with my friends, of course, I'm not real close friends with anyone at the moment, but one friend I had, she had read the books, and seen the movies, and we would talk about it some. And then I've got another friend who I'm pretty sure like them pretty well, but I doubt she's as obsessed as me. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2005, 9:32 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

hehe, this comes up alot since I'm always relating things to lotr. My friend Heather, who also happens to be related to me (lol!), is just as obsessed as I am. We're able to talk for hours about lotr. It's a pitty that she's in college now and I don't get to see her as much. Another one of my friends, Machelle, is just starting to get into lotr and she loves it! hehe, can you guess who got her hooked? :) Majority of my other friends have seen to movies and enjoy them as well. However, one of my friends hates it and see's not point to it and another one of my friends doesn't seem to understand it, since she askes the stupidest questions when ever we watch it. She's still convinced that Eowyn and Faramir are cousins! :annoyed:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19th, 2005, 10:45 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Ouh yes I know that reaction... :( Only my sister and one of my other friends is obsessed as I am... that's not easy ;) I relate anything to LOTR and sometimes I quote some sentences and everybody looks at me like that: :-o

^ banner: Bubble Black, Glitter Quote: ~shielmaiden~

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19th, 2005, 10:47 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

...but I think... you can survive that :) that's the reason for this forum here *smiles*

^ banner: Bubble Black, Glitter Quote: ~shielmaiden~

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 19th, 2005, 6:08 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

Okay, apparently I'm the only one openly obsessed with LOTR. Everyone, even my teachers, know that I'm a fanatic. At first I got some odd stares, but people have learned to just smile, nod, and back away very slowly...I have quite a few friends (all older than me :confused:) that are just as much obsessed (well...almost) so I have lots of fun with them. The only problem is they graduate two years before me... :'(

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20th, 2005, 11:16 pm 

Oh, of course I let them know, but I try to also let them know about my other interests as well. And then when they hear I went dressed in costume to all three movies, well! Sometimes they think it's cool, other times they seem to PRETEND it's normal, and other times they look like "oh, how weird and crazy to dress in a costume to go to a movie? I wouldn't be caught DEAD doing that!"

I let them know how I love LotR, the different things I've done with LotR, had LotR parties, read the books and watched the movies numerous times, and even invite my friends to play LotR games at my house sometimes!

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 22nd, 2005, 2:40 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

i haven't really told too many of my friends, cause they would probably see me as a nerd lmao. nah but i just haven't really gotten around to telling them, and frankly i don't feel the need. i like to keep some things private hehe

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2005, 12:50 pm 

That's a good question.
People always find out eventually...at my old school (where I still go for chorus) people made fun of me rather a lot...especially one girl, but that's okay, it's not too big a deal. I don't have to put up with it anymore.
I don't usually just come out and tell people, but it slips out somehow, since I'm not really trying to hide it! One thing I DON'T really tell people in general is that I'm really into costuming and am hoping to go to the Narnia premier in costume, and make some LotR costumes. I'd never hear the end of it!
Even some of my LotR loving friends think I'm a little crazy sometimes..but that's okay. I have lots of other interests too, and I make sure people know that. I don't like to say I'm obsessed with LotR, because of what the word implies and means, but it's certainly a passion of mine!

Kudos to Kitoky for the fabulous signature set, and art credit to engelszorn.
Who wants to join me in bringing back the lady?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2005, 12:23 am 

Erulisse- There is nothing wrong with being a nerd! Embrace your nerdniness! In fact, I have my own special reply for when people call me a nerd: "I know I am, but what are you?". I openly profess to be a nerd, and I'm very proud of it. Yes, I get made fun of, but here's my opinion: They'll all work for me in ten years anyway ;)

Nienor- I definately agree about the obsession thing. LOTR is a passion of mine, but not a true obsession. The only obsession that I would proudly admit to is that with my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ (there's a song by Steven Curtis Chapman about that called "Magnificent Obsession." It's my favorite song) :-D

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next