Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 26th, 2024, 12:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2006, 12:08 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

My friends aren't really that into LotR or anything similar, so I usually keep it under my hat.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2006, 3:50 am 
Balrog
Balrog

All my friends don't like LotR so I usually don't talk much about it... some of them watched it to make me happy, but I don't want to annoy them so I just keep my obsession for myself ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2006, 12:39 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Well that's what I do now! When I did talk about it,either my friends looked at me like I was crazy or said really stupid things just to see how I would react. (because I have to admit, I do react quite strongly everytime someone says something stupid about LotR :P) So after a lot of teasing, I have learned to shut up. (although it pains me sometime ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2006, 12:43 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I and my friends easily can talk any movie we want to. However, you know where to stop or else it gets really annoying.

Will be going to London on March of the 30th

Post subject: Re: Do you tell your friends in real life about LOTR fans
PostPosted: May 31st, 2006, 2:37 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

vestalmiss wrote:
Do you tell people at school or at work that you are a LOTR fan? Most of the time when I tell somebody they give me this look :blink:

It makes me nuts. I have to discuss my LOTR fandom online. It would be nice to talk about it at work.

Does this happen to any of you?

I get that ALL the time at school. Almost everything I like most people don't. A lot of my school friends don't like LOTR it drives me NUTS!! I can only express my feelings online too. I don't think a lot of my friends know who Sean Bean is either so, I'm kinda disappointed in them :annoyed:

But you know what that's why we have eachother here online. :hug: :wave:

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 2nd, 2006, 11:33 am 
Balrog
Balrog

^
I know it's a good feeling... somehow I can't understand how you couldn't like LotR I mean it has so much content there's something for everyone in it

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 5th, 2006, 9:01 pm 

Not sure if I've replied here...

Anyway, I don't have many friends who like LotR as much as I do. Even the ones that did like LotR have moved on to other things because they've finished the books, all the movies have come out, etc. The only place I can really talk about my LotR fandom is online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 8:57 pm 
Maia
Maia

I was at camp last month, and we had a little activity to introduce everyone in my cabin to each other. We would get into groups of 2 and tell each oher about ourselves, then we'd go in front of everyone and tell everyone about the other person in the group. Like I'm in a group with Jane, I tell the group about Jane and Jane tells about me.
Well, Jane asked me if I had any obsessions. I said LOTR. So Jane told everyone, quote, "She's obsessed with Lord of the Rings, but that's ok because we all have our little obsessions." I was like "What do you mean 'that's ok?'" Rawr!" not outloud, though. lol. One of the girls in the cabin did say that was cool that I like LOTR. lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2006, 10:03 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I totally talk about it with my friends, whether they like it or not. I've actually convinced my one friend who really didn't want to to see the movies (YAY!) and she's going to come over and we're going to watch them. My one close friend (who is also my cousin) is just as obsessed as me. I also have a guy friend who might even be MORE obsessed than me. But I think it's having a positive effect on, even though they're so practiced at ignoring me that every time I go, "Well, in the Lord -" they groan and go, "Don't get her started!" to whoever made the comment that 'got me started'. It's actually kind of fun.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 15th, 2006, 6:52 pm 
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar
A-U's Official Tolkien Scholar

Hehe...my friends/family/acquaintances have a simliar reaction. They just walk away whenever I talk about LotR. And then my mom wonders why I spend so much time on here with people who actually like LotR. :D

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24th, 2006, 9:51 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Most my friends love LOTR, so it can be fun to talk about. All the other friends of mine think I'm weird 'cause I've read the books so many times. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2006, 5:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

One of my friends, has seen the movies, but doesn't really like it. My other friend says the movies are way to long to watch :teehee: and she hates reading. But I still play LotR with er and we talk about it. Althoug I usually just talk about Legolas. :p

solongandgoodnight<3.</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20th, 2006, 3:56 pm 
Vala
Vala

^ :lol:

My friends aren't exactly into Lotr. I've managed to persuade one of my friends to read Fotr and she enjoyed it. Now I have to lend her the others... But as for my other friends, well let's say it'll be completely useless to ask them to read the books. Some of them have seen the movies and loved them, but out of my group of friends I'm the Lotr obsessed freak...*shrug*

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 28th, 2006, 9:31 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Regretfully no. I think I somehow created several copies of my personality and each one has its own interests. The one that has the LOTR fandom is restricted to A-U and the only friend that likes LOTR even now.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2006, 5:57 pm 
Elf
Elf

I have 3 friends that are some-what obsessed with LotR, and i talk about it openly at school, like all my teachers think i'm crazy, and most of my friends. i think that they are jus jealous! :) hehehe. i have a twin sister who is completely obsessed(though, not as much as me :) ) with LotR, so we talk about it and watch the movies all the time. but my mom doean't really pay attention, and her and my "second" mom and dad still don't understand how me, my sis, and one of my best friends can watch the movies everday after school for 3 months straight! some people just don't understand. :closedeyes: but here is where i express myself to the MAX because i never do it enough at school, though i do it often. i like just looking at the LotR book-section @ borders. it's really fun. i ike seeing other ppl who shop in that section too because i know they prolly like LotR alot 2! hehehe :)

Hannon Le,everyone for the banners! :)
Married Khamûl on January the 26th, 2007:bones:

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 23rd, 2006, 12:50 pm 
Vala
Vala

I talk about my obsession to my friends all the time, and I think I annoy them sometimes... all my friends have a mild liking for it (I find it nearly impossible to make friends with someone who doesn't like it) but I have no friends who are obsessed. I'll mention ancient Middle Earth history, and they'll be like " :blink: ". It's rather frustrating. I have spent so much time studying and thinking about LotR that I have a rather large store of knowledge, as well as very well defined opinions and ideas about it, but no one to share them with.

That's one of the reasons I joined A-U, though I was nervous about doing so. I couldn't stand not having anyone to obsess with. I felt like hitting my head against the wall sometimes, because I had all this stuff in my head and no vent for it. My old best friend was obsessed, but that faded away like our friendship, so it was something I once had and have lost. So here on A-U, I love joining in the discussions and finding other people who are as fanatical as I am. 8)

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next