Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 2:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

The Lay of Leithian ... a movie?
Yes, of course!!! 70%  70%  [ 26 ]
Nope, that would be horrible. This story shouldn't be turned into a disgusting romance!! 27%  27%  [ 10 ]
I don't like this story, so of course I don't like the idea of turning it into a film! 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I don't care... 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 37
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 2:56 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I don't think that the story of Luthien and Beren could be made into a good movie. The audience doesn't know about the whole background and I think it would be very difficult to cast characters like Melian.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 3:32 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

But on the other hand, you could make a prologue as in LotR to explain the background.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 3:46 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

yes but I think it would be much more difficult than in LotR... and who should be cast for Melian or for Luthien?? I mean Melian is the most beautiful elf ever and Melian is a Maia...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2006, 3:48 pm 
Custom Rank
Custom Rank

That's the point! Melian is like a godess, and how do you portray her? Beautiful beyond measuring, black hair, beautiful eyes, but whom to cast...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 6th, 2006, 1:01 am 
Maia
Maia

Quote:
Ugh. But now that I think of it, they would probably turn it into some really overly romantic story with nude people and elf. *Shudders* Don't do that! Make the movie, but let it keep its dignity!

^ I totally agree with you. I would love to see it made into a movie, but they would probably turn it into trash.

<center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2006, 10:23 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I would go to see it just to see if it turned out good at all, but I doubt it would be. I just don't know if they can pull it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2006, 10:23 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I would go to see it just to see if it turned out good at all, but I doubt it would be. I just don't know if they can pull it off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2006, 3:46 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

There are so many stories written by Tolkien which I'd really like to see as a movie, but if they were made very close to the book only book fans would watch them, so it would cost too much money I guess.. and so I'd rather have no movie than a "bad" one..

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2006, 6:02 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

i love the story of Beren and Luthien, and to be honest if someone makes a film of it it would ruin the tale to me.

If its turned into a film it would become a kind of tragic romance of the father not allowing his daughter to be married to Beren, so he sends him away. I can imagine the film turning Thingol into the enemy when in the book he's just looking out for Luthien.

also, i wouldnt see it working with Huan. Ive never seen a realistic talking animal in any non-animated film.

HOTE

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2006, 10:26 am 
Balrog
Balrog

exactly. I can only agree with ya. That's what I wanted to say by writing the post over yours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2006, 10:25 am 

I'm just adding my two-cents' worth.

Personally, I agree with some of you that The Lay of Luthien wouldn't make a very good movie. For one- yeah, it'll be hard to cast the right actresses. With so many rabid LotR fans around the world- producers would be hardpressed to decide which actresses should act as Luthien and Melian...lest the entire LotR community descend upon their heads in a rage of righteous fury. xD

That having been said...I think that The Lay of Luthien is best enacted out in our minds. Honestly, if it were to be made into a real movie- I highly doubt that it would meet the expectations of LotR fans. It would probably simply turn out to be a cheesy B-list movie with overdone animations...and taint the good reputation of Tolkien.

Soo. I've added my two cents' worth, then. *grin*

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 23rd, 2006, 1:59 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I would go to see a Lay of Leithan movie, but I don't know if my expectations would be very high. If it was done by a director with a lot of respect for Tolkien, it might be okay.
I don't actually think it would be too hard to cast Luthien and Melian - I mean, the obvious choice for Luthien would be Liv Tyler, and I'm sure that Melian could be done. I actually think that casting Beren would be the most difficult. I don't think it could be someone like Orlando Bloom. In fact, I can't think of an actor who I would want to play Beren.
I do agree that it would be very difficult to do Huan, though. Though Aslan in Narnia was AWESOME and I think our technology is pretty advanced, so it might be possible.

I dunno, I would be very curious to see how it would be done.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 1st, 2006, 8:54 pm 

hmm..i really dont care

Post subject: it would be a tough one to cast.
PostPosted: August 16th, 2006, 12:10 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

i think the movie could be made but it would be very hard to find the right cast of characters, and would probably cost more than any producer would want to spend. A movie like that would probably end up :explode:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2006, 9:58 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

hmmmm.. i think i'd rather not see the lay on the big screen.. most of you have already pointed out the difficulties, so i wont repeat them..
I prefer my own imagination to make the 'picture' of it.
Though.. if they ever did make a movie of it.. which i hope they don't, i would see it, just for the sake of it. Though, my expectations wouldn't be high.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2006, 1:56 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I wouldn't like to see it personally. Luthien was described as the fairest of the Children of Iluvatar, so I fail to see how any actress could do her justice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next