Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Eowyn or Arwen?
Eowyn 60%  60%  [ 32 ]
Arwen 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
Total votes : 53
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2006, 12:11 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Why do people have to like Eowyn? she's so normal but Arwen is really different, she's an elf. and I think Miranda Otto overexagerated (can't remember how it's spelled but anywho) Éowyn's role. I like the book-Éowyn better. i think I've got already a few angry glares so.. :bounce:

I revisited AU on Jan 14th after an almost 10-year break! The nostalgia..!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 28th, 2006, 7:27 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Just a question: How does being an elf make Arwen so different? There are plenty of elves in ME.

And since when was Eowyn normal? I could go on for awhile about this one.

"I'll tell you truly: I value my thought and work terribly, but in essence - think about it - this whole world of ours is just a bit of mildew that grew over a tiny planet. And we think we can have something great - thoughts, deeds! They're all grains of sand." - Levin

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 2:57 pm 
Elf
Elf

Eowyn is NOT normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 4:47 pm 

Now I should've totally stayed away from this discussion butt I couldn't help it. D;

Please keep in mind that this thread called for opinions and personal preferences, not true fact based on whether or not Arwen or Eowyn are better than the other.

I voted for Arwen, simply because I admired her more, because she is different from me, which contrasts to the fact that a lot of you guys voted for Eowyn due to the fact that you relate to her more. I do relate to Eowyn in the sense that I am different from the other girls, I'm more tomboyish, can be more physical at times, but it's the fact that I like Arwen more because I can't see myeslf being able to do what she does.

I couldn't see myself aging ever so slowly and having a relationship with a man who is destined to possibly die, or become king. Fate was never really clear. But she was able to keep strong in her love for Aragorn and in the end, sacrificed her immortality for the man she'd fallen in love with. And it is very possible, even though it is not shown in the clear-cut movie, that Arwen had numerous visions of what could be the future, death among her people, death among the race of men and Aragorn. And even though she was so pressured to take the easy way out, follow her people to the Grey Havens, live forever in the Undyling Lands, she eventually found her way back to what she truly wanted.

</end essay of Arwen-love>

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2006, 8:54 pm 
Istari
Istari

Nooooo don't make me pick!!! They're both really cool in different ways. Though I am more like Arwen, I want to be like Eowyn. So I guess Arwen, but...I honestly don't know...

Pippin of Herenya's Line - "...give nothing back!"
Got fed up and eloped with Ragetti 1-3-08 :P
PHYLLIS, THE ANTI-SUSPIAN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2006, 2:02 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

oh sorry yes what I meant was that Arwen's different from us (and Aragorn)! so don't please get het up :duh: so that's why I like Arwen more. though I'm more similar to Eowyn (being a human and such) I like Arwen more because she's different from me, but I'd want to be like her. did I make myself clear? =)

:psycho:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2006, 3:44 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I like them both. Both are interesting characters, but I think Arwen is more awesome.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2006, 10:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

Ánië Súrion wrote:
Nooooo don't make me pick!!! They're both really cool in different ways. Though I am more like Arwen, I want to be like Eowyn. So I guess Arwen, but...I honestly don't know...

Oh yeah, I am REALLY glad Eowyn's not an Elf, or this choice would be so much harder for me... ;) Elves will always come out on top for me.

Pippin of Herenya's Line - "...give nothing back!"
Got fed up and eloped with Ragetti 1-3-08 :P
PHYLLIS, THE ANTI-SUSPIAN!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2006, 4:40 pm 

I don't think I would have a problemwith them being both elves, if that were to happen. Eowyn would portray more of a warrior elf princess and Arwen the gentle kind, easy-going type. ...... I think I would still pick Arwen.

THE HALLOWFEST 2010
<a href="http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20958">information here</a>

</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2006, 11:27 pm 
Maia
Maia

Well...Eowyn is sort of from Rohan, so she couldn't be an elf. ;)

I like both characters a lot but Eowyn has always been and always will be my favorite. Everyone sort of likes her because she's kick-butt, girl-power, and everything, and I did too in the beginning...but then I began to see the story that most people didn't, about her growing up alone, and her want for love, and how she was alienated by the men around her...simply for being a woman. (I can really relate.) Also, her love story with Faramir is really sweet, but also more real than Arwen and Aragorn's. I love them both to death, but I'm a bit skeptical of true-love-at-first-glance sort of stories. They're very pretty and fit well in a ballad, and I desperately wish for one, (don't we all ;) ) yet Faramir and Eowyn get to know each other, grow together, and rely on each other during dark times. He really helps her through a rough point in her life and changes her outlook on life drastically.
[/eowyn rant]

Not to say I don't like Arwen at all. Are you crazy? I totally admire her! I think what moved me the most is the scene in RotK when she sees her would-be son, and for the sake of her child, sacrifices her immortal life. (Of course she also sacrifices it to be with Aragorn.) Her ability to do so...wow. I don't know if I could give up my life for someone like she did. A lot of times people look at Eowyn's action moves and think that's really cool. but Arwen's patience, love, and strength are also to be admired. In fact...people often forget that in the end of RotK, Eowyn realizes there's more to life than fighting for the sake of glory, and she devotes her life to being a healer. Indeed, fighting when it's important os a big deal, but loving war because it's war is sort of silly.

Both are excellent characters and good role models. I just prefer Eowyn's story a bit more.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 12th, 2006, 12:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

^ I completely agree, ~RinielAranel~ That is exactly why I prefer Eowyn to Arwen, though I still really like Arwen too :-D

<3
top banner by Coccinelle
I'll be back to visit, I promise!
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 13th, 2006, 12:07 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Faramir's&Eowyn's love story more true? hmm now that makes me angry. it seemed like love@firstsight with F&E... specially in the movie, but also in the book, they just met in the garden. A&A didn't love each other straight at first but after a while. so I think they're equally 'true'. :blink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2006, 12:13 am 
Maia
Maia

Well, from what it sounded like in the book, Aragorn saw Arwen dancing in the forest one day and fell in love. When Faramir first met Eowyn, he pitied her, but did not love her. They were both pretty bored in the house of healing so they decided to walk together in the gardens every day. It was a week or two before they really started to love each other - not a split second. In the movie, PJ had to cut that down, so it did look like love-at-first-sight. I didn't like it much, but for all of the time he had, he did a pretty good job.

Thank you for five-plus wonderful years of obsession, friendship and fun

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2006, 7:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I voted for Eowyn because I can partly understand her. If I was a female and I wasn't allowed to fight I would feel the same. Eowyn wanted to help Rohan, and she didn't allowed other people to take over and keep her from doing what she wanted to. She risked her life to save her King.

I didn't vote for Arwen because (remember, this is movie discussion) I didn't like her a whole lot in the movie. She mostly cried and recited poetry. No offense to Arwen lovers, of course. I just don't like Arwen half as much as I like Eowyn.

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1090576/ be sure to check out my LOTR stories!
Image I'm not obsessed, honest, not obsessed, not obsessed.... I LOVE LOTR!!!!!!!!! Okay, maybe I am obsessed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2006, 1:54 am 
Ent
Ent

I don't think I can ever choose between these two. :-D They come from totally different situations. One ready to lose immortality for love while the other one ready to die for her country. I really can't choose.

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2006, 12:55 pm 
Maia
Maia

Arwen w00t!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next