Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: can someone give me an elvish name?
PostPosted: May 18th, 2007, 8:21 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

i would like healing moon. or moonstone. or something around that

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2007, 8:31 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

or soft heart

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2007, 12:25 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Since you didn't specify language:

For Healing Moon: We have envinyata- "to heal, renew" in Quenya, and Isil "Moon". There is nesta- "to heal" and Ithil "Moon" in Sindarin. I would make a name from the participle nestol "healing", to make Nestolithil or Ithillestol with assimilation from -ln- to -ll-. In Quenya, since anything with envinyata- would be too long, there's a reconstructed root for "help" that we could make *sála "helping" or even a continuative *sastála from, and add Isil to get Isillastálo with assimilation of -ls- to -ll-. Provided you're male, of course. If not, perhaps Isillastálë or Isillastálië.

Now for Moonstone: I already gave the words for "moon". In Quenya, "stone" as a material (or "rock") is ondo, and a single stone would be sar. This could make Sardisil or Isillar. In Sindarin, stone would be sarn or gond, making Ithilharn, Ithilond, Ithilonn, Gondithil, Sarnithil, etc.

As for Soft Heart, I dislike translating names with "heart" because of how annoying it is — in one timeframe, the word órë was the closest to "heart", being related to personality, emotions, etc. But in other writings, it's closest to "conscience" and is more of a warning than anything emotional. The words changed so often, it's too hard (for me anyway) to decide what word for "heart" to use.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2007, 9:33 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Location: In my library, unconvering dark and mysterious secrets...

Moonstone could be Curonsara, Curonsarn, Sarnithil, or Sarcuron. Personally I like Sarnithil.

(this is all in Sindarin)

Thanks Nurratiel, *Ennostiel*, PD, and Githoniel

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2007, 12:19 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Cúron refers specifically to the crescent moon. As for Curonsara, (A) I fail to realize where the -a comes from. Additionally, some mutation would have to take place. If it were a recent compound, simple lenition into Cúronhar(n). If it were an older name that had evolved with the pieces together, perhaps assimilation would occur, making Cúrossar(n).

Sarnithil is perfectly fine, but Sarcuron needs mutation as well — either lenition (Sargúron) or liquid (Sarchúron).

:bye2:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2007, 11:00 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

my friend wants to have a name "brown man" some1 plz translate :cool:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2007, 12:52 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

For "brown" we could use baran "brown, swart, dark brown, golden brown, yellow brown" or rhosc, which is more like "russet" or "red-brown". Though etymological notes from 1968 would make it *rosc from older ruska ... but that contradicts rhosc as found in LotR, though the Etymologies have it with the same derivation, though in the 1930s Etym. initial r- became rh-. For Tolkien to keep the Rh- in Rhosgobel (LotR) would mean the stem would have to had changed to SR-...

Anyway, I'd say Barandir in Sindarin or Varanwë in Quenya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2007, 12:24 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Well, I've been doing it for about 5 or 6 years now. I started off with simply reading the Ardalambion pages, as well as Helge's wordlists, and kept referring back to them whenever I wasn't sure about something. I think the cases took me the most time to learn, as well as the pronominal suffixes for "we" (I still have trouble figuring out when to use the possessive and when the genitive if it's an older text). I eventually got around to looking at Helge's Quenya course — which I read completely, but found a bit exhausting, so I just kept looking at the Ardalambion page for reference. I was more a Quenya person than a Sindarin one them — I had studied the former, but only dabbled in the latter.

Years later, after I had joined the website LotRPlaza, I stumbled across the website Parma Tyelpelassiva, since its webmaster (Thorsten Renk) used to be on the Plaza — that's when I found his articles, and his Sindarin and Quenya courses. I looked at his Quenya course, which I found to be much more user-friendly than Helge's was, and learned even more about Quenya from his website, and unlearned a few bad habits.

After that, I decided to look more into Sindarin. I had looked at it a little, but not that much — I found that knowing Quenya first helped me understand how many things in Sindarin worked. So I read Thorsten's Sindarin course, and whenever I need to look at something (like how to conjugate a tricky verb), I look at his website for reference.

One other thing has really helped me — constant practice. Since I joined the Plaza, I've worked in the language help desk and translation desks there for a couple years now, translating into Q & S or transcribing into the tengwar (or even the sarati, occasionally). Of course, my early translations had many errors, but there were a lot of people more knowledgeable than me around, and they were very helpful in pointing out how to fix my errors. It's been about two years since that point, and I'm still translating and practicing — it really helps me from getting too rusty. I've even written a few rhyming poems in Elvish, just for fun. I spend so much time practicing my Elvish, I remember more of it than Spanish (which I've been learning for about the same amount of time). I even have had the bad habit of accidentally using Elvish pronominal suffixes or verbs or nouns in my Spanish, and my teacher wonders what I'm doing.

Anyway, my post's a bit long, but I hope it answered your question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2007, 3:29 pm 

Hannon le Tyrhael.
I was about to ask you the same because I have noticed your detailed posts in the language section. You answer pretty quick and you always seem to enjoy doing the translations.

I just wanted to thank you for doing it, it's a great help! :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 12:23 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

No problem — it's sort of my niche; I do the same on at least 8 other forums. :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 1:37 pm 

It must be great getting to use your Elvish skills in practice. (You remind me of Dreamingfifi from the old forum, by the way).
Do you have a website on Elvish?

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2007, 4:13 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Eä wrote:
It must be great getting to use your Elvish skills in practice. (You remind me of Dreamingfifi from the old forum, by the way).
Do you have a website on Elvish?

I wonder why I remind you of her — though I do know who you're talking about; I've talked with her, I post on her forum and used to correct and add to the namelists, etc. Anyway, I don't have a website on Elvish, though I plan to have one eventually. Though it would have to have more content than just a database of useful links, and I have to think of content that people don't already have — articles, translations, etc. I only have one original idea for an article so far, but I need more material (i.e. more issues of VT and PE) before I can start writing it. So I'm not making a website until I can make more content to go on it.