Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: TRANSLATIONS -- All need for translations post here!
PostPosted: March 26th, 2014, 11:02 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I can do 'Elven' maybe...

Sindarin: edhellen based on Tolkien's Annon edhellen 'Elvish gate'

Quenya: I guess Eldarin would do for an adjective, short for Eldarinwa. See the plural in Tolkien's Eldarinwe leperi ar notessi 'The Eldarin fingers and numerals'

You could use Eldarin to mean 'Elvish' but more broadly perhaps: Quenderin 'Quendian, belonging to the Elves as a whole' (a learned word) [The War of the Jewels]. This might also be a short form considering Tolkien's quenderinwe coar 'Elvish bodies' (Parma Eldalamberon) so maybe singular *quenderinwa.

Well, I took a shot at [what seems to me to be] the 'easier' one anyway :)

I'm almost sure there's a word for blood in both languages [Sindarin sereg 'blood'], and probably 'glory' in some sense...

... but I'm lazy.

I agree with the following example at the link below [as it currently stands today anyway] for one possible way to write Sindarin edhellen in the Elvish letters [mode of Beleriand]

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Edhellen.svg

PostPosted: October 4th, 2014, 4:01 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Someone I know found a piece of paper with what looks like elvish lettering on it while she was geocaching. Can anyone tell what this says? I tried to figure it out myself, but had no luck. :confuzzled:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 4:10 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Could you translate the name "Zechariah" in both Quenya and Sindarin? That would be awesome! Thanks a bunch!

Dr. Z, a half crazy Elvish scientist

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 14th, 2014, 11:09 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Ales Bican did a Quenya version at his Baby Book website. Ales suggests...

"ZACHARIAS, ZECHARIAH, ZAC - Heb. 'god remembers'; eru "god", ista "know", so Eruista or Eruisto (with a masc. ending)"

If you agree that that's close enough, anyway. In any case we can see ista in the word Istari 'Wizards (Knowers)'. And Eru refers to the One God in Tolkien's mythology.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 12:12 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Elthir wrote:
Ales Bican did a Quenya version at his Baby Book website. Ales suggests...

"ZACHARIAS, ZECHARIAH, ZAC - Heb. 'god remembers'; eru "god", ista "know", so Eruista or Eruisto (with a masc. ending)"

If you agree that that's close enough, anyway. In any case we can see ista in the word Istari 'Wizards (Knowers)'. And Eru refers to the One God in Tolkien's mythology.

Thanks! Although I have a dilemma now, because on this page it translates the name Zachariah (which is the same name just with a "a" instead of an "e") as "Erurin" and "Enyalieru". Could one letter change that much? :swoon:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 15th, 2014, 8:01 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

The Quenya suggestion seems to be based on a word from Cirion's Oath enyalien 'for the recalling'.

Anyway I don't think it has to do with the spelling of the original name but the effort to make an Elvish name fit with respect to meaning.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 12:41 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Elthir wrote:
The Quenya suggestion seems to be based on a word from Cirion's Oath enyalien 'for the recalling'.

Anyway I don't think it has to do with the spelling of the original name but the effort to make an Elvish name fit with respect to meaning.

That makes sense. However, which of the two Quenya names and the two Sindarin names do you think is closest to the actual meaning? :confuzzled: Thanks again, dude!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 1:43 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Hmm, in my opinion something with remembrance or memory seems closer than Ales' choice of ista.

In a note to a late text Tolkien explained that Elurín (in the text the i is long, thus it has the acute accent) is said to mean "Remembrance of Elu" so this is probably the basis for the Sindarin suggestion on the page you linked to...

... although to me the repetition of the r when you replace Elu with Eru makes it somewhat less appealing with respect to sound. Some people writing in Neo-Quenya use *enyalie as 'memory' based on the word from Cirion's Oath.

PostPosted: December 16th, 2014, 2:38 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Elthir wrote:
Hmm, in my opinion something with remembrance or memory seems closer than Ales' choice of ista.

In a note to a late text Tolkien explained that Elurín (in the text the i is long, thus it has the acute accent) is said to mean "Remembrance of Elu" so this is probably the basis for the Sindarin suggestion on the page you linked to...

... although to me the repetition of the r when you replace Elu with Eru makes it somewhat less appealing with respect to sound. Some people writing in Neo-Quenya use *enyalie as 'memory' based on the word from Cirion's Oath.

Hmmm...interesting. So, are you saying that "Elurín" would probably the closest and best translation? It definitely sounds better!

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 11:31 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Quote:
Hmmm...interesting. So, are you saying that "Elurín" would probably the closest and best translation? It definitely sounds better!

Well not exactly, as Elu refers to an Elf (also named Thingol), while Eru refers to the One God, so you want Eru in there somewhere for the 'God' element.

What I'm saying is that while "Erurin" (as suggested on the page you linked to) is, in my opinion, closer than Ales' suggestion (Eruisto) as far as meaning is concerned, to me the repetition or the -r- in Erurin makes it less appealing than Tolkien's Elurín with respect to sound.

So it's up to you. Sound versus meaning (Erurin or Enyalieru, versus Eruisto, for example) and what sounds good will be subjective of course -- keeping in mind that technically, in both Quenya and Sindarin, the r is trilled.

PostPosted: December 17th, 2014, 4:59 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Elthir wrote:
Quote:

Well not exactly, as Elu refers to an Elf (also named Thingol), while Eru refers to the One God, so you want Eru in there somewhere for the 'God' element.

What I'm saying is that while "Erurin" (as suggested on the page you linked to) is, in my opinion, closer than Ales' suggestion (Eruisto) as far as meaning is concerned, to me the repetition or the -r- in Erurin makes it less appealing than Tolkien's Elurín with respect to sound.

So it's up to you. Sound versus meaning (Erurin or Enyalieru, versus Eruisto, for example) and what sounds good will be subjective of course -- keeping in mind that technically, in both Quenya and Sindarin, the r is trilled.

OK, thanks! I think I personally will go with "Elurín". Although Erurin is cool too! :yes:

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 18th, 2014, 10:28 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

No problem... as long as you're aware (as I assume you are) that Elurín is not really a translation of the name Zechariah. I mean it contains 'remembrance'... so half the meaning is there, but it does not contain the 'God' part.

On the other hand choosing a name due to its sound would have pleased Tolkien in my opinion.

:-D

PostPosted: January 7th, 2015, 6:49 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

So I've got a kind of atypical set of translation requests. I'm writing an After Action Report of my game of the Crusader Kings 2 Middle Earth Mod, and would appreciate help with some royal names for Arnorian Kings.

I know that post partitioning, the northern Dunedain stopped using elvish names for kings, but in Gondor Kings often took names reflecting their accomplishments. So when I reunite Arnor as King of Arthedain, potentially my High King should start using a similar name.

I have a few meanings I'd like rendered into the proper form:

'Flame of Arnor': a nod to the common mishearing of Gandalf's 'Flame of Anor', this is a posthumous name to be applied to the King of Arthedain who turned the tide against Angmar.

'Son of Victory': for his successor on his crowning

'North-Victor': for the king who finally destroys Carn Dum

A few locations as well, for smaller Arnorian castles or manors

'Swan Hill'

'Sudden Valley' (for the Arrested Development reference).

And on a totally different note, a name for a region granted to Eotheod warriors in Arnorian service. In my vision of the alternate timeline, the wide open plains North of Fornost and south of Carn Dum become a vassal principality, so my instinct is something like 'Normark' but I have no idea if that's appropriate for Rohirric.

Post subject: Re: Translate for me please
PostPosted: January 21st, 2015, 5:17 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Can someone please translate this phrase for me to Quenya Elvish. And if you could tell me the correct translation of the adjective easy or a word to replace it. The phrase is " Nothing in this world that is worth having comes easy." My translation is " Munta mi ambar sina i na walda arwa tulis oasie ( or "as asie")." If you could correct me if i'm wrong, that would be great. Thanks

PS i would have used the word hraia for easy, but later it's meaning was changed to different, awkward

PostPosted: August 20th, 2015, 1:35 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Elthir wrote:
No problem... as long as you're aware (as I assume you are) that Elurín is not really a translation of the name Zechariah. I mean it contains 'remembrance'... so half the meaning is there, but it does not contain the 'God' part.

On the other hand choosing a name due to its sound would have pleased Tolkien in my opinion.

:-D

Hey, could you also help translate the name Hesed (also known as just Hess) into Quenya and Sindarin too? Thanks! :-D

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 12th, 2015, 12:46 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Is there a meaning for the name?

To my understanding with names the best ( or near only) way to translate them is to use meanings.

For example if your name means "Rock" and your last name might be King you could find the elvish words (sufixes or prefixes and combine into onenif desired) that mean "Kingly Rock". Or "Kingly Stone". Etc....

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 352 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next