Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2007, 2:32 am 

LotR was part of my reading plan in 4th grade.
The first time I saw the amount of litterature, I almost fainted!
I never thought we´d get through it all, not in 2 terms!
..but as soon as we got started...I couldn´t stop!
And so it has continued, through The Hobbit, The Sil to The Children of Hurin and all the movies..
Now it´s an in-grown part of my life, I reread LotR about every second year, so Middle Earth is always with me...

MvL/Nurr
my Aragorn

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 12th, 2007, 9:35 pm 
Kallisti
Kallisti

Well, I read the Hobbit when I was little, being extremely intersted in the Dragon on the cover. I didnt realise that he had written other books, so I didnt look.

In the winter of...2002...yeah because FotR was on DVD by then. I was at a friends of my parents place, we were staying the night, and mom wanted to rent a video. So we went to the video store, and I didn't really want any of the things she wanted, so she got mad and made us get FotR. We went back to the house, and I cat on the floor, being prepared to be un intersted. From the moment the movie started to the time my mom made me stop watching the credits, I dont think I swallowed once. I was staring so inensely at the screen.

My mom remember me not moving more than an inch during the whole thing. I was instantly hooked. We went home the next day and all I could think about was Frodo and the Fellowship. I immediately borrowed the first book from my friends mom, devoured it in three days(school, argh), re-read it and grudginly had to give it back. I read the next two in quick sucession, then went and saw TTT in the cheap theater. I saw RotK eight times in theaters, and rented FotR and TTT three and six times respectively.

I got the LotR/Hobbit box set books as a present the summer of 2002. To date I have read the LotR books 53 times and the Hobbit 43 times. I was going to buy the 2 disc editions of all three, but was pleasantly suprised one Christmas to recieve the Extended Edition box set. We stayed up past midnight watching them, I was the only one not to fall asleep. I have since watched them more times than I can count. This summer I shared the pleasure of watching them with my best friend, she had never seen any of the movies.

These books, and movies really are a life changing experience, and I think its wonderful that we can all share in it together, re-discovering, chatting, learning and talking about these amazing books and movies.

[/off soapbox]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2007, 4:58 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

My dad owned The Hobbit, TTT, and RotK in a box set, yes, it's missing FotR... so I bought my own about three or four years back. But he also has 100 other books as well, and growing up I'd always look through them. The Hobbit and LotR books always caught my eye(because they're white, and the rest of my dad's books are like black and really dark), but I though nothing of it.

Yeah... okay, it was around Spring I think... like a few days after FotR came out... About five 1/2 years ago... I was... *counts on fingers* 9. Every Friday my parents rented movies from the local blockbuster. So they had rented a movie me and my little brother (who was 2 I think...) would watch, and also got FotR. Me and my bro watched our movie, then went on playing. We played in his room, and then came out to the kitchen/living room where my parents had gotten to the scene "Council of Elrond" at first glance I though it was a whole bunch of guys in dresses(like Egyptians) sitting around... and then it zoomed in on Legolas. After that, I was hooked. We rented that movie a dozen times, and then bought FotR extended edition. It was some time during this summer that I read the Hobbit for the first time...

I watched FotR about a hundred times, and a hundred times over with the next following year. Then I went with my dad two days before Christmas and watched TTT in theaters and was there till midnight. The day it came out on dvd we rented it and I watched it a hundred times, then we bought TTT EE. And the same thing went on as with FotR.

Then came RotK came out in theaters, and I counted down the days... we dropped my lil bro off at a friend's house to watch him, and drove off, the whole time there my parents kept talking about visiting an old guy named "White". I was like "It's Gandalf! The White! We're going to see RotK" and dad's like "No... we're going to see an old guy named something White" And just as we turn into the theater he goes "White... White... oh yeah! Gandalf the White"

And when RotK came out on DVD, I searched the house every single day after school to see if my parents had bought it yet. When they did, you could have heard me on the other side of the neighbor hood! I was hooked! Now I've read 3/4 of FotR and the Hobbit twice.

I found A-U while googling images for Legolas...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2007, 10:45 pm 
Maia
Maia

We had to read LotR before we saw the movies. But we still had to be 13 to see the movies, so I read the books the summer I turned 12, my sister was reading them aloud but going to slow for my liking, I HAD to see what happened. (to this day she still hasn't finished reading them aloud, and it's been 2 years...).

Then a year later I got to see the movies and for a while liked the movies better, then read the books again and remembered how much more incredible they are.

PM me with prayer requests
www.therebelution.com
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 6:42 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I was first introduced to LOTR when I picked up FOTR from a bookshelf in this house that I was staying in, age seven, knowing nothing of the story and being able to read but finding it confusing and long.
I then, aged eleven, read the Hobbit in class. Enjoyed it. Mum got me the trilogy. Read them all in a week. Mum and Dad bought the first film when it came out, and I saw the other two in the cinema. I became obsessed age twelve, but that obsession melted slightly, and has lain dormant until last year when I was fourteen....I read the Silmarillion, and became obsessed again. Since then-I have remained loyally obsessed with LOTR

(Hi folks, was Charlothiena!!!)

[img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg51/Charlothiena/Charlothien

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 10:34 pm 
Maia
Maia

I don't even remember when I was first introduced to LOTR. It was a long time ago. I was still too young to watch the LOTR movies back then, but I remember watching the FOTR, and it ws the party scene. I remember pointing to Sam and going, "Who is that? Is that Frodo or Sam?" Then the LOTR obsession swept over it and I've been obsessed ever since.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 12:01 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I was first showed Lotr by my parents in the summer of 2003. We saw the EE of the Fellowship and the Two Towers. We went to the theaters for rotk. I always liked them, but I really started to get in to them the summer of 06. We remade the trilidgy that year, and that was also the first time I read the books. So now I love them! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 3:05 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I was first introduced to LotR a long time ago (a few years before the movies came out) when my mom read The Hobbit and some of FotR to me and my brother.... But generally I don’t say that’s how I got into it because at the time I didn’t care at all about it and it just sorta faded away. It wasn’t ‘til FotR was on dvd around 2002 and my dad rented it that I started getting more into it. :) So for about another year I just sorta enjoyed it, but then after seeing TT on dvd the obsession began. :P And before RotK was out in theaters I had already flown through the books (I just HAD to see how it all ended :teehee:) and become even more obsessed so when it was in the theater I went to see it. :yes: not to mention my brother and my two boy cousins helped the obsession because we ALWAYS use to play it out in our field and in our woods... that was like the only thing we would ever do when we were together. :-D (and what wonderful and memorable times those are!) and from there it’s just progressed......
And now I’ve been a fan for about 5 years. :-D

Get.Lost.In.The.Dark.To.Find.Yourself
-sig by Loafers-

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 9:36 pm 
Maia
Maia

I was introduced to it the summer after (I believe...it was summer...) FotR was released. My uncle was a huge fan, so my mum thought was should see the movie. I wasn't so excited because I remember seeing previews for like the action figures, etc., and thinking it was stupid. I got so into it as I was watching it my sister's arm was turning red. When we left the theater, I could wait to read the books! And Legolas....love at first sight...^^

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2007, 12:31 am 
Vala
Vala

*never gets tired of telling this story*

I grew up being obsessed with adventures, with swords, with being part of something bigger than myself. I loved fantasy. I read The Hobbit at 7 or 8 years old, and enjoyed it, though I didn't think much farther than that. When I was only 6 years old, my parents read The Lord of the Rings out loud to my sister, who was five years older. She told me a little about it, but I didn't really know what it was.

The movies came out the year we moved, and I remember one of the last things we watched in the old house was a TV program on the making of The Fellowship of the Ring. My parents were very interested in it, as they'd been Tolkien junkies since the 70s. I was curious about the movies.

Once FotR came out, my parents watched it, and announced that I would have to read the books before reading it. I opened the battered, 25-year-old copy of The Fellowship and read the ring spell on the first page.

Obsession from moment one.

I saw FotR in theaters five times, TTT four times, RotK six times. I have over 200 LotR pictures on the walls of my stairway. I have read LotR nine times, The Hobbit nine times, The Silmarillion three times, and the Children of Hurin twice, not to mention a stack of other Tolkien and Tolkien related books. I have learned elvish, I have made gigabytes of LotR graphics, I have freaked out friends and family with my speeches on Elvish genealogies.

I can't say I own the most LotR stuff, have watched the movies/read the books the most, or anything like that. But I can say that LotR has changed my life, from the moment nearly six years ago that I first opened that book.

There will come a time with no more tears
and love will not break your heart but dismiss your fears
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: How were you introduced to and/or become obsessed with L
PostPosted: May 11th, 2011, 9:58 pm 
Istari
Istari

I think I kind of just heard when I was like 5 and then my dad bought a video game and I immediately loved it

PostPosted: May 31st, 2011, 8:40 pm 
Istari
Istari

I read the books because I knew they were good. And well I watch the movie almost every month, everything.

"Looking behind"

PostPosted: June 19th, 2011, 2:03 am 
Istari
Istari

Well I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean with my friend, then she stayed the night and we were up late flipping through the movie channels and saw FotR was on. I wouldn't see the movie in theaters cuz I thought the orcs looks scary, but I was in an Orlando Bloom mood, and my friend said the movie was good, so I flipped it on just to see what Orly looked like. Actually, I saw Aragorn and I was hooked, lol! The story and all the characters just drew me in, and its all I could talk about for a long time. Simply amazing.

PostPosted: July 1st, 2011, 10:57 am 
Istari
Istari

I have read few chapters when I was a kiddo but didn't go much into it until I saw "Fellowship of the Ring". Then I took the book...came closer...anddddd...kissed the hobbits! :lol:

It was first step to obsession! Now I love Lord of the Rings with whole heart (I think I just get grown up enough to understand LotR :whistle: )

PostPosted: July 8th, 2011, 2:56 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

My mom bought the movies when I was... about 10 or 11, and I didn't want to watch them, I thought it was just about orcs and big scary spiders. lol! (really, that's what I saw whenever I walked in and my bro and sis were watching it.) :P
So after a few years, one of my friends saw the movies and was almost obsessed with it... and I was at her house one day, and she was taking quizzes on this site :P, and I took a few... not having a clue what anything meant, but it was still fun. hehe :P
When I got back home, I grabbed the book and started reading it, and finished in a couple weeks. (yeah, it's a long time to read a 1000 or so page book... but come on, it was the first long book I'd ever read! :P) And I found out it was about way more than orcs and spiders. :P Of course then I watched the movies. And read the silmarillion(partly, it's harder to read than lotr!!), the hobbit, and unfinished tales(mostly). I'm not obsessed with it, although for some strange reason, my friends keep insisting that I am... it's just because they don't like it very much. :P

PostPosted: July 19th, 2011, 4:59 am 

I was so sure I had posted here.. hmm.. well, I saw FotR when it came out and was hooked. Then I read the book, then I read TTT before the movie came out and RotK too. And by that time I had been roleplaying on this site for a while, learned all the Elvish lines by heart and had joined the forum. :P

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara