Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: quotes/moments that stayed with you
PostPosted: October 6th, 2013, 12:29 am 
Istari
Istari

(i'm sure this topic is floating around here somewhere, but i wasn't around when it was, so...)

Are there any quotes or speeches by the characters that struck a special chord with you, and stayed with you? The lines that immediately pull your focus to the movie when its on, maybe you listen to those lines a little closer than other parts of the movie? Or a particular moment that has stayed with you? Maybe a particular moment/line from the books that didn't make it to the screen? For me, one of my favorite speeches comes from Sam, the film version of it.

By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something...That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

I absolutely love that. Its realistic yet hopeful, and relateable. Sometimes I need to be reminded that there's some good in this world still. Its the kind of thing that needs to be hung on a wall, so when you need a little hope its right there to read.

Post subject: Re: quotes/moments that stayed with you
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 4:37 pm 
Istari
Istari

That quote always makes me cry!! <3 it!

Pippin: i didn't think it would end this way.
Gandalf: End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path, one we must all take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, all turns to silver glass and then you see it.
Pippin: What? Gandalf? See what?
Gandalf: White shores, and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
Pippin: That isn't so bad.
Gandalf: No. No, it isn't
^^^This quote is always in the back of my mind, its so sad, yet hopeful.

Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us.
^^^This one. Makes me cry, but i still love it!

Gandalf: True courage is about not knowing when to take a life, but when to spare one.
^^^ it seems Gandalf quotes are the only ones that really stay with me!

Gandalf: Saruman believes only great power can hold evil in check, but that is not what i have found. I found that is is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep darkness at bay. Small acts of Kindness...and love.

Here are the quotes that stay with me. I love how Gandalf has a wise, gentle and humble way of saying these quotes.

Last edited by EmmaSwan on January 2nd, 2014, 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2014, 4:43 pm 
Elf
Elf

I cry to Gandalfs and Pippins conversation, too.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 4th, 2014, 11:50 pm 
Istari
Istari

wow, so I had replied to this topic, but it obviously didnt go through. Anyway, trying to remember what all I had written a day or two ago...I agree with you legolin, Gandalf is full of good quotes, both from the movie and the books, both meaningful and humorous! The conversation between him and Pippin strikes me as being sad yet hopeful as well, strangely comforting despite the frightening situation the conversation takes place in. And one of my favorite quotes from the first movie, the one where "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Excellent quotes.

And on a whimsical note, two moments (I can actually recite the whole scenes for both moments), in FotR when Aragorn is taking the hobbits to Rivendell, and Pippin is talking to Merry about whether Aragorn knows about second breakfast, and so on! Love that! (the apple!! :lol: ) And also, the humorous moment between Gimli and Legolas after the battle at Helms Deep, where they are comparing their body counts. They stayed with me, simply because they make me laugh, and my friend and I would actually recite those scenes together, so it brings back fun memories for me as well.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2014, 10:06 am 
Ent
Ent

"I can't believe I'm about to die beside an elf."

"How about beside a friend?"

"Aye. I could do that."

Makes me go "D'aww!!" every time. Legolas and Gimli, the original middle earth bromance.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: April 20th, 2014, 11:19 pm 
Istari
Istari

^Haha! I love that! Bromance! But that is a good part, shows the growth the two characters had during their journey, that they put aside the whole elf/dwarf issue. Ah so many lessons to be learned from Tolkien!

PostPosted: April 22nd, 2014, 5:50 pm 
Ent
Ent

I think another one that I've always remembered, is the bit at Helm's Deep, when Gimli can't make the jump across the gap, and Aragorn has to throw him across. Before that, Gimli says "Don't tell the elf." LOL, even when he's at a disadvantage, he's still got so much pride.

A lot of moments between Gimli and Legolas stay with me, because they are so different and I think in the beginning they really do hate each other. But after what they go through, they do become friends. I always hold out hope that I could have friendships like that, where you know friendship is going to last. Not just a countdown, to when one person is going to freak out and turn on the other.

I think the most emotional moment, has got to be the speech that Elrond gives to Arwen, when he warns her the pain and suffering she will go through, if she chooses to be with Aragorn. But even though she will end up alone, she is happy to spend one life time with the man she loves, because it will make her happy for a time. Of course the love part doesn't apply, but I do try to follow that way of life. Doing something that makes me happy, no matter what the consequences are at the end.

Even though this probably doesn't count, there are quite a few moments in The Hobbit, that stayed with me. Like with Thorin, how he was determined to restore his lost kingdom and defeat Smaug, even if it meant his own demise. His death is so touching. After all those times he doubted Bilbo, and let his desire for the Arkenstone rule his judgement, he was able to make things right between them before passing.

♥ Married to Thranduil, 22 April 2014 ♥

Lónannûniel, Queen of the Woodland Realm ♦

Image Image Image

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 18th, 2014, 6:19 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I swear I responded to this before but I guess not...
First of all... So much yes, love, and feels for everything everyone has posted already. Sam's speech in Osgiliath is something that I try and remember when I want to give up.
Of course another moment that sticks with me is Sam and Frodo talking about if they will ever be put into tales.

"Sam: I wonder if people will ever say, “Let’s hear about Frodo and the Ring.” And they’ll say, “Yes! That’s one of my favorite stories.” “Frodo was really courageous, wasn’t he, Dad?” “Yes, my boy. The most famousest of Hobbits. And that’s saying a lot.”

Frodo: Well, you’ve left out one of the chief characters: “Samwise the Brave.” I want to hear more about Sam. (He stops walking and turns around.) Frodo wouldn’t have gone far without Sam.

Sam: Now, Mr. Frodo, you shouldn’t make fun. I was being serious.

Frodo: So was I."

My heart melts every time!

Boromir line to Frodo after Moria has also stuck with me:
"Gandalf’s death was not in vain. Nor would he have you give up hope. You carry a heavy burden, Frodo. Don’t carry the weight of the dead."
When you already have so much on you plate sometimes one more thing can make you lose everything. It strangely gives me a little comfort, that line.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2014, 1:50 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

A lot of.quotes stick with me but a simple one does the most.
When Faramir has flashback of Boromir before he leaves for Rivendell,....

Boromir: "remember today little brother, today life is good"

I had an older brother that passed away who I looked up to in a lot of ways like Faramir looked up to Boromir. And it's exactly something my brother would say to me.

PostPosted: September 23rd, 2015, 6:15 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Pippin: "Wot's that?"

Merry: "This, my friend, is a pint!"

Pippin: "It comes in pints?"

Merry: "Mmmm."

Pippin: "I'm getting one!"

Sam: "You've had a whole half already!"

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 12:47 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

One miment that always stayed with me was when Aragorn is leaving and he tells Arwen to go to the undying lands.

It os not the dialogue between them or the tugg on heart strings that stuck with me, though. It is Aragorns response that it is not him falling in battle that he fears.

To be a humble person yet that confident of your skills that you know you could go head to head with hundreds or orcs and urukai shows just how skilled of a swordsman he really was.

We see it in the movies but it is not focused on. He knows his limits and pushes them, yet knows he can gain victory.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 6:41 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The first thing I thought of was this moment in The Hobbit: AUJ

After Bilbo fled and vanished from Gollum in the caves by putting the ring on, he sees Gollum weak and vulnerable. He could've taken Gollum's life at the very moment, but remembers when Gandalf told him : "true courage is about knowing not when to take a life, but when to spare one." And Bilbo decides to spare Gollum's life, even after Gollum tried to kill him. I don't know, something about that scene always gets me. And the emotional music during that scene doesn't help either xP

The Feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeels.

Gets me right in the heart!

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 6:58 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

That is a good scene. A very sound moral in it too!

PostPosted: October 14th, 2015, 7:45 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I can't tell you how many times I get The Feels during these movies.

Also (The Hobbit: AUJ) at the very end when Thorin accepts Bilbo and realizes he saved his life. And gives him a hug. Gahhhh.

Ya know, I think the music is the secret to these scenes. It's always perfectly moving music. Beautiful, moving music can make a perfect scene.

PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 11:13 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I agree with you, Nienna_Tinehtele. The music takes you right into the moment.

I have always loved this saying..."It is but a shadow and a thought that you love. I cannot give you what you seek."

PostPosted: October 15th, 2015, 12:17 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Also agree. The music makes or breaks the scene.

That is a good wuote too Starshine.