Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: Starless Night
PostPosted: November 9th, 2012, 3:22 pm 

Despite the fogginess in his head, Rhys tried to grasp what was being said, but everything sounded incoherent. They were talking about him. But why did they keep on calling him 'boy'? He wasn't a piece of merchandise; nameless and without feelings.
With effort Rhys scrambled back to his feet, after he had fallen to the ground when Morrigan was dragged away by Urúvion. He leaned against the wall to keep his balance and breathing was ragged. "That is not a way to treat a woman." he said with an unwavering voice. "Especially your fiancee.."

He looked at Morrigan's tear-stained face and a reassuring grin flashed over his pale face for only a moment. He knew the crowd was watching him; he could hear them holding their breaths while awaiting Urúvion's response. But their scornful glares didn't affect Rhys anymore. For years, everything in his life had been beyond his control. He had lost his freedom, but even worse, he had lost the freedom to behave and act in the way he thought was right. In the past -what seemed another life-, he would not have hesitated to stand up for the helpless. Now, he had the chance to speak up, to stand up for this girl, when no one else would. So if that meant he was the one to challenge Urúvion, then so be it.

----------

With a soundless cry, Beör woke up. It took him minutes to chase away the demons from his sleep and realise that what had seemed so real, like an actual memory, only a few moments ago, was only a nightmare. He looked at the two sleeping women next to him and then at the lonely silhouette of Maethoriel, who was keeping watch, while he tried to get his breathing under control. As soon as the trembling in his legs had ceased, he wiped the cold sweat from his brow, quietly got up and slipped away.

A few feet from the place on the ridge where they had set camp, Beör sat down again.It was a starless night and the gloomy sight of the barren wasteland, reflected his own mood. They had walked for days without end, not hearing or seeing any living creature. And even though their shrinking supplies caused enough to worry about, Beör couldn't help but think all day of what he could have done; what he could have done to prevent all of this, how things could have been differently.. In the scarce hours they allowed themselves to sleep, he did not find any rest either. He would then hear the high-pitched screams of the wraiths, thinking they were coming for him. He would feel the icy grasp of the mouth on his throat, when he tried to squeeze the life out of him. And nightmares plagued him, where she would there; Arawen, she watched and smiled as he was fighting for his life. In the morning, it was just too difficult to look at her and forgive her. Words could not make actions or scars undone..

At the sound of footsteps, Beör jumped to his feet, looking around him, bewildered, only to see that it was one of his companions, who was approaching him.

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

PostPosted: January 13th, 2013, 7:42 pm 

[ Bumpy dumpy :whistle: ]

PostPosted: January 28th, 2013, 7:08 pm 

[ I hope you don't mind me posting for my new charrie :) ]

A soft click-clacking sound of sandals sounded on the marble tiles in the hallway. A little girl, not much older than nine years old, tiptoed through the hallway, making sure not to step on the grooves of the sand-coloured tiles. Dressed in a simple blue tunic and with her blond hair falling back over her shoulder, she did not seem to belong in the household of Urúvion at all, which mainly consisted of Nurnians or Haradrim. With the tongue between her teeth and a frown of concentration on her face, she jumped from one tile to the other, while carrying a large basket with logs. At the door of Morrigan’s sleeping quarters, she halted and leaned with her back against the wall.

She could hear the voices of those in the room and she knew that He was there; the Beast. With his piercing eyes and his rough voice, he scared her. He scared her so much. She cringed as she suddenly heard him shout and her breathing came in shallow breaths. But there was also another voice; that of the Lady with the golden hair, who looked almost like a princess. She always liked to look at Morrigan and her beautiful gems and dresses. She was nice.

A tear rolled down her freckled cheeks, as the girl turned around and silently opened the door and entered Morrigan’s room.

PostPosted: February 17th, 2013, 7:43 pm 
Maia
Maia

(I'm sorry I've taken so long replying! :hug: I'll try and work on my Arawen and Luthien reply soon =))

"Urúvion, no!" Morrigan clutched hold of Urúvion's wrist just as he was about to send his clenched fist crashing into Rhys's face. She hardly knew how she had gathered the strength to do something like this, but she couldn't just stand by and watch all of this horror unfold. She visibly shrank as her husband to be turned on her with an expression of mingled anger and confusion. Morrigan, standing up to him? This didn't at all fit with the way he saw her. She was beginning to break free of his constraints, and he didn't like it, not one bit. "Please, don't," Morrigan blurted out, her cheeks shining with freshly shed tears, "you promised me that he would live!"

"Oh, he will live, for certain," Urúvion snarled, "but I cannot guarantee his quality of life."

Morrigan quickly glanced at Rhys, her eyes full of the wild, bright glitter of a frightened animal's. What was it that Urúvion was going to do? No one could be allowed to disobey him and go unpunished. She looked away again, not wanting anyone to see her and Rhys exchanging looks, since that would only get them into even greater trouble. Instead, her gaze fell upon the little girl standing alone in the doorway of her chambers. Morrigan recognized the child; she tried her best to be kind to her whenever their paths crossed. A sick feeling stirred in Morrigan's stomach as Urúvion noticed the new presence, too.

"What's that thing doing in here?" he demanded of Morrigan. "Can't you keep control of your animals?"

Morrigan just looked at him, lost for words, before moving past him and stooping so that she could look the girl in the eye, patting her shoulder gently with a reassuring smile. "I think you had better run along, sweetheart," she whispered. "Why don't you go to the kitchens? Tell the cook that I said you could have one of the chicken and turkey pies."

Urúvion had sharp hearing. "Do you really indulge your playthings so? I begin to see it's not just that Rhys creature you have a soft spot for." His tone dripped with venom and sarcasm. Morrigan looked over her shoulder, filled with icy fear but determined not to lose control of herself, even though her heart was thudding painfully in her chest.

"People," she said quietly, "not 'playthings', my lord. They are people. As am I. I am a person, too."

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2013, 1:01 pm 

The wooden door to Morrigan’s bedroom was heavy and made a cracking sound when it opened. No one noticed a little girl running to the far side of the bedroom, to the fire place. All those who were present cowered away at the sight of the enraged look on Urúvion’s face and at the sound of his thundering voice. The little girl quickly put the logs on a pile next to the hearth and placed a few others in the fire. Urúvion demanded that the fire had to remain burning night and day.

By the time she turned around to hurry out of the room again, everyone of the household had left the bedroom, quickly returning to their business now they realized that their master’s good mood had disappeared. It was dangerous to be near an angry Urúvion and those who had accidentally become the subject of his wrath did not live to tell the tale.

Humming a soundless song in order not to hear the Beast’s shouting, she picked up her basket and ran to the door again. But before she could open the door and leave, the girl heard his snarling remark and knew that he was talking about her. She stopped in her tracks, but did not dare to turn around and face the Beast. Her breathing became shallow and she could almost see how he slowly crouched towards her: with sharp claws and fiery eyes, ready to attack his prey.

She dropped her basket when someone touched her shoulder. But it was a light and soft and the girl turned around to look in the face of Morrigan. Her trembling ceased as the Lady Morrigan spoke kindly to her. She could not see the Beast anymore, as he was hidden from her view behind Morrigan’s wide skirts. But when Lady Morrigan took a step aside, she suddenly noticed the other man present in the room. The blond girl’s eyes grew wide and all fear was suddenly forgotten. She let out a loud cry and ran to Rhys and jumped into his arms.

----------------

Rhys had not moved an inch, even when Urúvion was about to explode with anger. He was grateful that Morrigan had been able to impede the man, for he would not have had the energy to anticipate on the expected blow. He was strong from all the work in the fields and he had become agile from getting in too many fights, so in honest circumstances he could take Urúvion. But now he was just...exhausted, even to retort to Urúvion’s sinister threat.

Fogginess threatened to cloud his mind once more and all that happened around him just seemed to dwindle in significance. But then a clear voice of a girl called him back to reality. The girl jumped in his arms and at first Rhys was so overwhelmed that he just held the girl, who clung to him like a lifeline and softly repeated his name.
Then it came back to him: her blond hair, her freckled face and those blue eyes. “Nadya?” he asked, incredulous. In response the girl only hold onto to him tighter and buried her face in his neck. How was this possible? After all those years he had not thought to see her again. He patted her blond hair and shifted his still shackled wrists to redistribute her weight on his arm.

Then, with Nadya on his arm, he slowly walked to the door. His vision was blurry and he had to make an effort to walk straight. But he did not leave the room, instead Rhys turned around and silently looked from Morrigan to Urúvion. He stood there, somewhat defiantly, but waiting for consent to leave.

PostPosted: March 2nd, 2013, 7:03 pm 
Maia
Maia

Urúvion looked at Rhys for only one short moment, seeming to have no curiosity whatsoever concerning Rhys' unknown connection with the little slave girl. No – his main concern was with Morrigan’s alarming intransigence. When was it that she had so suddenly learned to stand up for herself? He was so used to her as humble and mouse like, always keen to please him and keep in his good books. In the strange workings of Urúvion’s mind, this change in character felt like a betrayal; and betrayal must always be punished.

He approached Morrigan, utterly ignoring the other two present in the room. They could leave if they wished. His dark eyes focused on Morrigan, watching as she backed away slightly, her bare feet moving slowly. She looked so alone and vulnerable, standing there in her exquisite midnight blue nightgown. Her eyes were brimming with fear and wildly darting this way and that, before landing on Rhys, silently willing him to remove the child from the room.

Urúvion had never hurt Morrigan before, but now she felt sure that he would. Tears welled up in her eyes and spilt over as he backed her against a wall, one hand curving around her jaw line. “What’s this?” he enquired, as softly as a snake. “Not tears, surely? You know that I hate to see you cry.”

Morrigan pressed her lips tightly together, shaking her head. Anything she might do could be wrong in some way. She had no idea how to make amends, make things better again. It already felt too late. “I don’t mean to displease you,” she managed to utter. She was gradually growing smaller and smaller as, unbeknownst to herself, she crouched away from Urúvion, her shoulders hunching up. Riled, Urúvion shook her hard.

“Look at me when I’m speaking to you!” he demanded. “What is the matter with you? Where is that sweet girl of mine? Why has she been replaced with such blatant dishonesty and disobedience? After all the love and kindness I have shown you! I begin to doubt that you love me in return as you have so often said.”

“I do!” Morrigan blurted out. “You know that I do!” In truth she was not sure that she did anymore. How could she have bestowed her love upon such a man? She had tried to look past all his many faults, believing that there was some good in him because he had saved her from slavery. She had been naïve. She had been afraid, and she had been grateful.

“You lie,” Urúvion hissed now. His hand carefully wrapped around her slim neck, tears of his own blurring his onyx dark gaze. They were tears of rage. He bent his head and looked at Morrigan closely, running a thumb over her lower lip. “You’re a liar. A pretty, sweet little liar. But you are my liar nonetheless. You will learn that you belong to me, and as such, you have no right to air your misguided opinions, or to disobey me either in public or private. Do I make myself clear?”

Morrigan nodded quickly, her eyes rooted on the floor. Suddenly, Urúvion slammed her hard against the wall; Morrigan’s head was hit hard, and she cried out in pain. Urúvion let her go as she started to weep uncontrollably, left in a crumpled heap on the floor. “Ssh, ssh, shh now,” Urúvion soothed her eerily, kneeling down beside her. He began to stroke her hair, as he was so fond of doing, handling the long golden locks with care. “Shall I tell you a story to lift your spirits?” Morrigan made no answer, something which Urúvion did not seem to object to.

“Alright then,” he said. “Once, there lived a stubborn and obstinate girl, kept in a dark cage. She was beautiful, with pale skin and dark hair, and had high courage. I was kind to her, and she threw that kindness back in my face. She was disobedient in every way. Do you want to know what happened to her?” He received no answer. “She became something dark, and twisted, and cold and bitter. Her heart shriveled up and died; I watched that happen. Oh, outwardly, she remained beautiful, but inwardly she grew into a monster.” Urúvion’s expression was curiously blank, despite his bruning anger. As far as he knew, that “monster” still occupied the place at the Mouth’s side which he had once coveted. “You don’t want such a thing to happen to you, do you?”

Morrigan shook her head. “N-no… no, my lord,” she whispered.

“Good. Then I shall leave you.” Urúvion got to his feet and walked towards the bedroom door, glancing over his shoulder at Morrigan. “I am sure that our conversation will give you a lot to think about.”

As he left, Morrigan stayed on the floor, her hands moving up to her head, which hurt unbelievably. When her fingertips came away, they were stained red.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: April 13th, 2013, 6:52 am 

[ Yay, finally a post! Sorry it took so long, but then, I had a lot to write ;) ]

Rhys closed the door behind him and sighed deeply as he set Nadyah down next to him. He felt incredibly relieved to be out of that room, away from those hostile stares and sneers that almost made him feel claustrophobic, away from the insults of one of the most powerful men in Núrn, whose only desire was to see him dead. He did not mind any more that he was dismissed as something unwanted. Rhys only felt gratitude for being able to slip away, hopefully unnoticed, with Nadyah. The thought, that it was selfish to leave Morrigan to her fate, did not occur to him at that moment. Chivalry hardly seemed to exist in the city of Thaurband, where self-interest and violence were the most important standards.

He looked at the girl next to him and took her hand. She hopped along with him, as they walked down the hallway. Her tears-stained cheeks were flushed, but somehow her fear had suddenly been forgotten. “So why don’t we go and look for your mom?” Rhys said, remembering the equally blond, strong woman, whom he had met on their terrible journey over those barren plains. Nadyah suddenly halted and stared silently at the marble floor tiles, her lips trembling. Knowing instantly that something was wrong, Rhys kneeled down next to her, so that he was at the same eye height. “What happened, Nadyah?” he asked quietly. “You can tell me.” The blond girl finally looked up at him, her blue eyes again filled with tears. “She did not wake up.. I tried, tried.. Then they took her away and I..” The girl buried her face against Rhys’ shoulder and all he could do was quietly stroke her blond hair. It was devastating to see the pain and grief of this child, who was still so innocent, and Rhys suddenly felt pangs of guilt that he had not thought of either mother or daughter in the past years. There was nothing he could say to make her better nor could he do anything to make the past undone. All he could do was to make sure that no one could hurt her again. An incredible hatred stirred within him towards the man whom he held responsible this all, towards the man who left a parentless child to her fate or made women into possessions.

“I can stay with you..” he whispered. “Is that alright with you?” Nadyah looked at Rhys again, somewhat thoughtful, before nodding firmly. “Why are you wearing these?” she asked suddenly, touching the iron shackles with one finger. Rhys laughed wryly as he examined his shackled wrists. “These,” he said, “are for special people. They give these to those who are very strong or work very hard.” Nadyah tilted her head slightly and frowned. “I even got promoted,” Rhys added and he managed a small smile, even though his gaze was remarkably bank. “That is why I am here now.”

There was a loud sound; a door was slammed shut. Nadyah quickly peeked over her shoulder but Urúvion walked with large paces in the opposite direction, obviously not spotting the twosome at the other end of the hallway. The girl looked at Rhys, at the present very satisfied that he had so suddenly appeared in her life, but she did not notice Rhys’ dark look as he watched Urúvion walk away. Nadyah snuggled against Rhys arms, imagining that they were not in Thaurband but somewhere else, on a great adventure. “Tell me a story..” she said, while closing her eyes. “Please.. like before.” She could not see Rhys smile tenderly, but let a loud giggle when she felt that she was lifted up, like she was flying. “Not yet” he said gently, while walking back to Morrigan’s room. “I first need to…check something.”

Upon seeing Morrigan lying broken on the floor, Rhys hardly flinched. He carefully set Nadyah down and whispered: “Wait here for a moment. It is all going to be fine.” Silently he walked over to Morrigan and picked her up to lay her down on her bed. He felt that almost all his strength had diminished, so he clenched his teeth and tried to keep his gaze focused. Carefully, he untangled her blond locks to discover the source of the scarlet liquid. “It is not deep..” he muttered. He looked side-ways and grabbed a very pretty embroidered silk shawl from an arm-chair next to the bed. Ignoring its value, he dabbed the shawl on the wound. “Here, keep this on the wound, until it has stopped bleeding.” Rhys realised how much he must have sounded like a physician, but then he had acquired some skills in tending to injuries. Out in the fields, it was only too easy to get injured. Back in the barracks, some tried their bests to treat the cut flesh, fractured ribs or broken bones. A disabled slave was a worthless slave and would be disposed of soon.

“I know you are busy and everything..” he said, his voice sounding exhausted. “But I need to ask you for … a favour.” Rhys never liked asking for favours. It meant that he was in someone’s debt, which was usually dangerous, as the price could be too high to pay.
“I haven’t the faintest idea where I am.. where to go.” That thought had struck him as soon as he had left the room with Nadyah. He had no place to sleep or rest and to wander aimlessly in this maze of corridors, where around every corner, Urúvion or one of his accomplices could be waiting, did not sound that attractive. Besides, he was desperate to get out of these chains and to get sleep after seventy-two hours.
“So..” he said, flashing a grin, “could you be our tour-guide?”

PostPosted: August 5th, 2013, 10:04 pm 
Maia
Maia

(So sorry for the wait, dearie! :hug: And apologies for the length! :lol: )

As she looked up at Rhys, Morrigan’s gaze was entirely empty. There was no glimpse of anything, not even of fear, something which had been present within her heart for many months now. But now she just felt numb. It was as if the force of Urúvion’s violence had knocked everything out of her. How could Rhys be asking her for help? Her, who was as of this moment barely capable of helping even herself? “Your tour guide,” she repeated the words, her voice coming out surprisingly clearly. A tiny smile lingered on her lips briefly, before she looked down and shook her head gently. “No. No… I can’t be. You will have to find the steward of the household. He’ll help you. I cannot.” She reached up and touched the wound on her head, which Rhys had attended to. Her fingers came away red. She remained sitting on the bed, swathed in her fine silk night gown, her golden hair tumbled about her shoulders. She was like something out of a legend, a princess surrounded by luxury; but the illusion of a fairytale had abruptly ended. After this, she could see no way forward.

Long moments passed before she lifted her head and spoke again, looking Rhys in the eye. “You will find him in the great hall,” she said quietly. Her lips moved slowly, and her tone sounded strangely detached. “Go, and take away the child.” She touched Rhys’s hand, her clasp tightening over his fingers for a moment, as if to tell him that this was her last word on the matter. Slowly, she withdrew herself from him, and carefully raised herself up from the bed, picking up the blood stained shawl that Rhys had used to dab the cut and wrapping it around her shoulders. And then she disappeared through a door that led to her sitting room, where she would usually see guests. The door closed behind her, and Morrigan prayed that Rhys would go and not realize what her intention was.

She looked down at herself, a frown creasing her brow. She was clothed in Urúvion’s gifts, the bounty of his generosity and twisted love for her. She suddenly felt sickened by herself, by him and by everything. She tore the nightgown over her head, ripping the fragile silk and flinging it down to the floor. She stood in a simple chemise, staring at the blood on her hand. A mirror on the other side of the room showed her reflection, which for the first time in her life showed determination. She knew what she needed, or rather what she thought she needed to do.

~~~

Arawen smiled at Beör without a single trace of mirth, standing perfectly still. She looked at him, perceiving his nightmares almost as clearly as if she had experienced them herself. And in a way, she had. “Trouble sleeping?” she said, with a strange edge to her voice. She herself had not slept at all; she did not wish to anyway. She needed to be awake, to be in control. Her mind was plagued with unwanted thoughts, but she knew that sleep and dreams would provide her with no rest from them; so what was the point? “It’s disturbing, isn’t it? The screams, the ice. The cold sweats. Awakening to nothingness.”

She walked past Beör, passing by Luthien’s sleeping form, her footsteps light and soft. Arawen looked out at the wasteland that was Mordor, sighting the grey horizon. Her thoughts had moved far away from Beör, far away, to a different time and a different life. She felt a ghostly hand on her shoulder, memories sparking in the troubled shadows of her mind. It was a familiar hand, belonging to a man that she had not seen for years. She had never forgotten him though; and although she did not know it, he had never forgotten her. She had left a mark on Urúvion, just as he had left his mark on her.

“Cold.” His breath tickled her neck as he spoke, his chest pressing against her shoulders as he lightly curved a hand around her throat, drawing her closer. “Your skin is cold. And no wonder. You’re freezing. I know what you’re becoming… it’s as clear as day… I know. I know you.”

She was too terrified to turn around, to retaliate and defend herself. And so she let him touch her, hold her, when all she wanted was to punish him, to strike out and perhaps even kill him. But she was at his mercy, within his power. “How can you?” she whispered. “You cannot know me. The captor cannot know his prisoner. He cannot glimpse any part of her.” She closed her eyes, her lips trembling as she pressed them together. His hand was gently moving upwards towards her jaw line. His tenderness always frightened her, when she knew what he was capable of.

“I can,” he said softly. “And I always will. No one else will ever know, they will never understand. You will always be judged, Arawen. Looked down upon, hated and cast out. No one will ever accept you for what you are, no one apart from me.” He turned her towards him, looking down into her eyes with his dark smile. “That is something that you can never sever. We are tied together.”

Arawen shook her head mutely, wanting to contradict him, but finding herself unable to. In her current state she almost felt herself believing him. Was it true? And if it was, how had it come to that? It couldn’t be. It could never be. But Urúvion was still smiling, gently shaking his head at her.

“My poor Arawen. No one else will ever love you as I do. That is your tragedy. Always rejecting what I offer. And why? Pride? Fear, anger? All misguided… Come, come now. Fight against it if you will, contradict it in your mind, but you know that you are mine. You always will be.”

Arawen’s eyes suddenly leapt open. She had no idea that they had even closed. She felt cold all over, and a gasp was trapped within her throat. A terrible anger washed over her as she tipped her head back, beholding the sky above her. She swore to whatever god or gods were up there… she swore that if she ever found him, found Urúvion, she would kill him. Kill him. Slowly, she looked over her shoulder at Beör, her expression unreadable. In half a moment she looked away again and strode towards where Luthien lay, covered by Arawen’s own sky blue cloak for warmth. Arawen bent down and softly shook the girl’s shoulder.

“Luthien,” she said. “Luthien. Time to wake up. We must move on.”

Luthien blinked sleepily through a tangle of her blonde hair, pushing herself up without a word of protest. “Already?”

“We cannot linger anywhere for too long.” Arawen helped Luthien up to her feet, an arm around the younger woman’s fragile shoulders. Arawen felt some satisfaction in keeping Luthien close to her and away from Beör. But it was not simply pure maliciousness; she truly felt that Luthien’s good heart and gentleness was a calming influence on her. If she could keep something good near her, then perhaps she would not feel so overwhelmed by what she perceived as her own wickedness. “Beör?” she called towards the man. “Time to move.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: November 5th, 2013, 7:50 pm 

[ I feel so ashamed that it really has been three months since the last post here. :erm: So here's my post for Rhys and Beör's will be up later. ;) ]

"Rhys?" Nadyah's quiet voice echoed in the large bedroom. She sat on her knees so that her head just peeped out above the foot of Morrigan's bed. "Why is the Lady sad?"
She jumped up when Rhys took her hand and led her to the furry rug in front of the fire place.

"She's sad, because she fell and hit her head," Rhys said, glancing worriedly at the door, which Morrigan had just closed behind her. "I'll see if I can help her and I'll be right back."
Nadyah quickly grabbed Rhys' hand. "Don't go.." she pleaded. "I want to come with you." Distress was visible on her freckled face and Rhys knelt down next to her so that his dark eyes were at the same level as her blue eyes. "I'll be gone for just a moment. Don't be afraid, I won't be far away."

------

Rhys opened the door to Morrigan's sitting room, not sure what he expected to find there. Morrigan was standing in the middle of the room in a simple chemise. She must have heard him come in, but she stood as still as a statue. Suddenly, he was overcome by the same shame as a few days before when he had joined her in the carriage. He cast his eyes down, not wanting to look at her now she was so exposed and vulnerable. "I know what you want to do," Rhys said truthfully. He had seen it before; the despair and fear that drove some to that last resort, which they hoped would set them free. And what was even more cruel, that usually no one cared enough to intervene or help them.

Rhys walked to Morrigan and grabbed her wrist, perhaps more forcefully than he intended to. "Don't do it," he said and he added almost pleadingly: "please."
How comical his words must sound to her. Asking her not to take her own life, while only a few days ago he had wanted to take it himself. He had been angry and frustrated of not being in control of his own life, hardened by this life where he was hardly treated as a human being and his dignity had been shattered. He had considered her to be a traitor of her own people. But only later he realised that she was as trapped as he was. The only difference was that her cage was golden and luxurious, while his was dark and of metal.

Morrigan now looked at him, but Rhys still didn't let go of her arm. "You cannot give up. Especially you, who has more opportunity and resources than anyone else." Rhys stared at his shackled wrists and the world around him started to spin. He stumbled and grabbed the backrest of a comfortable arm chair to steady himself. How much he wouldn't give to slump down in this chair and sleep. Not shut away somewhere in the dark, but dozing off here near the fire place.

Instead, Rhys turned to Morrigan again. "I can help you," he said and even though he trembled and his face was as pale as a sheet, his voice was strong and the look in his eyes determined. "Escape has been my sole purpose since I have been here. I will find a way and being here makes it easier in a way."
He smiled a little and picked up the satin dressing gown that lay on the sofa and gave it to her. "But first I need your trust and your help. For the girl's sake as well. Besides, I'd rather stay alive, but when you're gone, I will be next."

PostPosted: December 25th, 2013, 9:54 pm 
Maia
Maia

Morrigan stared at Rhys silently, his words floating over her much like the slightest ripple of breeze against water. She heard him, but she was not yet moved to change her mind for him. She was enveloped by a deep and dangerous darkness, an invisible cloak of midnight that Urúvion himself might as well have draped around her shoulders. She could see no hope after this day, after all that had happened. How could Rhys possibly talk of escape? The very idea was nothing more than a dream to Morrigan. She had seen for herself what happened to those who tried to flee from this city. Their endeavours had nearly always ended in death. And what could she do to stop any of this? What resources, what opportunities did she have? Morrigan was trapped within the fog of her own bleak thoughts, unable to find a way out. For so long she had kept going by telling herself that Urúvion was her protector, that he loved her and would keep her safe. More than anything, she was shamed by the belief she had held for this man, by the love that she had nurtured for him in her own starved heart. She was sickened by it all to the core.

Morrigan limply took the dressing gown which Rhys handed to her. "You don't understand, Rhys," she said, her voice expressionless and hollow. "I cannot help you. There is nothing that I can do. Have you any idea, really, about the true nature of my place here?" She abruptly flung the dressing gown away from her, revolted by the satin softness, the feel of luxury and wealth. The opulence of Urúvion's court and home was financed by cruelty and tyranny; all of these gifts, these favours were ill gotten bounty, tainted with the pain and blood of the innocent. "I have no power and no influence. I am my master's pet, his little toy." She spat the words out bitterly now. "I am driven by weakness and fear! He knows that, don't you realize he knows that? He sees it in me, how easily dominated I am, how much easier it is for me to follow rather than go my own way." She shook her head in despair and turned away from Rhys. Now that she had started talking she could not stop. The words flowed out of her, and she found herself saying things that she had kept secret and hidden for some time now.

"And I have needed Urúvion. There, that will make you see that you hate me, if nothing else already did. I'm too small for this world. Where else could I turn but to him? And he treated me well. Never once in my life had I been singled out like that by a single soul." She paused, closing her eyes tightly. "I was a farm girl, I carried water and helped bring in the harvest back home, back in Rohan... I was never special. Not to anyone, until I met that monster. So I won't carry on this way. I refuse to."

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: February 17th, 2014, 5:08 pm 

[ Yay! Reviving this RPG! :) ]

“Don’t you see that what you perceive as your weakness is your one strength?” Rhys responded sharply. “Urúvion thinks that he has dominion over every living soul in this city and those who oppose him are taken care of. .. Eliminated, arrested or chained, so they will never come close enough to harm him. But never in his wildest dreams will he expect opposition from you, who has always been loyal.”

Rhys remained silent for a moment. He desperately wanted to convince Morrigan to help him. Her knowledge and position were invaluable. If, however, Morrigan would reject his offer, he could be in great danger if his intentions would become known to Urúvion. Rhys’ thoughts wandered off and for the first time in months, he thought about Rohan, the land Morrigan said she came from. The land of horses and endless green plains, which had been his home for a while as well. He wondered if Morrigan had come to this cursed desert at the same time as he did. He remembered that there had been someone from Rohan among the group of captives, who were taken from Harad to Núrn. And there were only a few fair-haired men or women from the West in Núrn. Could it have been her? Rhys couldn't remember. When he thought of everything back then, it all seemed to be a sort of blur. He remembered the little girl and her mother and some others were taken away at some moment. He remembered the anger, the humiliation, the fear, but also a blind conviction that he would escape, which had persisted until this day.

It doesn't matter who you were before or what you have done. A good man once told me that,” Rhys finally said. “What matters is what your actions are now and what you decide to do each day when you get up in the morning to make up for your mistake.

Rhys looked at up at Morrigan. She could hardly keep his gaze and despair was written over her pale face. “Perhaps..” he said hesitantly. “You were not the person, who I thought you could be.” He didn't understand. All he had known through the years, which had been filled with sand and hardship, was that he would not be there forever. No matter what it would take, he would find a way to get out. Preferably in a way that would make them pay for what they did to him. But in this girl in front of him was hardly any will left. No will to fight, no will to live. What could he ask of such a person?

Rhys rose and walked to the door. It was late and he had reached the limits of his strength. He had to find the Steward of the house, have his chains unlocked and hopefully some food and some rest. Then he could start making plans. “It is your decision of what to do with your life,” he said, looking back at Morrigan. “Just don’t waste it.”

-------------------

Beör felt a pang of pain when Arawen wrapped her arm around Luthien's shoulders, ready to move out. He tried to shake off the flashes of his nightmare, which chilled him to the bone. Stretching his arms and legs, he attempted to energize himself. But after he had picked up the bag, in which they had put their few belongings they had gathered, and walked for a few minutes, his legs felt as heavy as lead again.

He watched the two women ahead of him. Whatever Arawen was doing, it was working. Or perhaps it was all in his head. Beör didn't know any more. All he knew was that ever since he been freed from his cell, he had been falling apart. Could it be that he had been locked up for so long that he would not survive now he was free? Or worse, go mad? It sure felt like that. Inside his cell, that tiny dark place, everything had been so simple. His only goal had been survival and the only way that he had survived was through concealment. He had become a bitter and hateful man. Now, there were no more bars, nor the possibility for concealment and Beör felt adrift and empty. The way of the Dúnedain, he once had lived, was lost on him. How could he start to think about a future when he was to relive his past every day? Now he had lost himself in the darkness? Beör didn't know. All he knew was that he could find answers by moving ahead and putting as much distance between himself and the place of his nightmares.

They followed a dry and sloping trail that slowly winded south, which meant that they were finally to turn their back on the Mountain of fire and they would not have to catch a glimpse of the Eye that was always watching. Beör was glad for it, because only the sight of Barad-dûr darkened his thoughts. He was the last of their small party: Arawen led the way, followed by Luthien and him. The girl had been on Arawen's side often lately and after that moment when Arawen had marked him as the cause of her misfortune and her wrongdoings, Beör had kept to himself. He didn’t have the energy to fight, nor was there room for hatred towards anyone else but himself.

He hoisted the bag a bit higher on his shoulder and propped Arawen's sword, which he had not dared to put away in case something happened, under his arm and caught up with Luthien. For a moment they only walked next to each other in silence. He still had to get used to the oppressing heat and the dusty air, which seemed to suffocate him.
“Ephel Duáth,” Beör finally said, nodding to the mountain chain to their right. “The Mountains of Shadow.. He will think that we will try to cross them. It would explain why we haven’t run into any scouts until now.”

PostPosted: March 9th, 2014, 1:25 pm 
Maia
Maia

Rhys’ words remained in Morrigan’s head long after he had gone. She hadn’t been able to find the strength within her tortured heart to answer him; instead she had let him go, let him leave her alone to do as she wished. The hours passed in silence as she sat on the floor, watching the light from the window shift and change. It must have been early evening by the time she finally came to her senses and shook herself free from her trance like state. Slowly, she looked down at the shawl that was still in her hand. She had been planning to use the item to end her life. Wordlessly, she let the slippery silk material slip through her fingers.

She wasn’t sure what pushed her to get up and prepare herself for dinner, but she did so regardless of anything, her expression still and calm. It helped Morrigan to think of her body as like a shell, a part of her that had no connection to what she felt or thought. She could make herself move, walk, do and say all the right things… her mind, however, remained a dark and lonely abyss, into which she was afraid to plunge. Morrigan resolved that it was best to keep herself in a state of limbo, neither here nor there. She couldn’t let herself feel anything, not when she had to face Urúvion within the hour.

She got ready without the help of any servants. She wouldn’t have been able to look a single one of her attendants in the eye without flinching. Instead she dressed alone, opting for a white silk gown with a high partlet collar. She washed the blood out of her long hair, then brushed it out and fixed a circlet of white gems about her brow. Morrigan chose her outfit with purpose, wanting to make herself look pure and without taint in the eyes of her master. He had been so very angry with her… would he act like none of it had happened? Or would he treat her coldly and with disdain?

Facing the mirror, Morrigan shuddered, repulsed by her own desire to appease Urúvion. But what else could she do? To go against him would mean death. And no matter what happened, death was still the one finality that Morrigan feared. What punishment would await her after she drew her last breath? Closing her eyes to try and stop the trembling in her fingers, Morrigan took a deep breath and did her best to block out Rhys’ words. “Shut up, shut up,” she murmured. “Leave me alone.”

~~~

As usual, the hall was full of people. Urúvion would never deny himself an audience. He loved for people to observe his grand, ostentatious way of living, to see that he had all the luxuries of a king at his disposal. The one thing he lacked so far, though, was a queen; but Morrigan knew that he intended to put that right soon. She was the candidate for the place at his side. All eyes were on her now as she entered the grand hall, people falling back to make way for her. Morrigan wondered how many people had heard about the argument by now. Gossip was only to be expected.

Morrigan could see Rhys amongst the crowd. Since he was a part of her household, the young man would now be everywhere she went. Urúvion had commanded that Rhys serve Morrigan on bended knee. It would be torture to be forced to endure it - not only his servitude but his judgement of her, too. Morrigan tried to separate herself from her mind again, sinking into a respectful curtsy before the dais where Urúvion sat enthroned.

“My lord,” she murmured, keeping her head bowed and waiting with a pounding heart.

“Be seated, my sweet.” Urúvion’s voice sounded smooth and calm. “I trust that you are recovered and feeling better? I could not bear to see any harm come to you.” These were the words of the very man who had smashed Morrigan’s head against a wall. Obviously everything was forgotten, at least outwardly. Morrigan rose up and went to sit beside him, lowering her eyes to hide her gaze from onlookers. Fortunately this was considered correct female behaviour in Nurn culture. Whilst it may appear that she was adhering to standards, in reality she was doing her best to avoid looking at Rhys.

~~~

Luthien looked up in surprise, hearing Beör address her. She glanced at him from her lesser height, feeling relieved that he was talking to her again. Perhaps eventually the three of them would be able to achieve some kind of ‘normality’ whilst on their travels. The tension between her two companions was almost unbearable; they were going to have to learn to live with each other at some point. Their journey was a long one and it wouldn’t help in the least to have Beör and Arawen constantly at each other’s throats.

“I hope that he remains blind to our true intent for as long as possible,” she replied quietly, managing a small smile, even though the hot, dusty air was near intolerable. She was used to the mild climate of Gondor, not this blasted desert heat. She fell closer into place beside Beör, wanting him to know that despite what he might think, she had not turned against him. Arawen’s angry words had not changed her. “I just want to put some distance between us and this wretched place. I never imagined such a land could exist.” It was true; Mordor’s harsh landscape was beyond all her imaginings. She’d been brought here in a wooden crate on the back of a cart, unable to see out. Now she knew for herself what Mordor truly looked like; she could not help but wish that she could somehow unsee it.

Luthien noticed Arawen glancing over her shoulder at them once or twice, presumably to check that they were keeping up. But there was something odd about Arawen’s tone as she called to them. “You two, don’t dawdle! You could easily get lost.”

“We’re keeping up, Arawen,” Luthien called back, before looking back at Beör with a rueful smile. “I think maybe she doesn’t like me talking to you,” she whispered. “You needn’t worry about it though.” She paused and reached out to squeeze his arm. “Nothing’s changed.” She hoped that he would understand the emphasis she put into those words.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: March 24th, 2014, 6:28 pm 

Urúvion’s hall was crowded and eventually filled with chatter and some laughter. There was music, dance and other entertainment for the members of the court, who were mostly people of great influence and status. Only those who actually mattered in Taurband prided themselves to be invited to dine with Urúvion. They were scattered around the dais on which Urúvion and his wife-to-be were seated, eating and drinking at their leisure. But there were also those who were not meant to enjoy this feast. They were required or rather forced to guarantee the efficiency of the banquet and that all those who were present were given all they wished for. For someone like Rhys, for whom anything but stale bread or dry stew was a luxury and a treat, it was difficult to only watch this abundance of food. Anything you could practically think of was displayed on the tables or could be ordered. From the most delicious pastries and exquisite fish dishes to the most exotic fruit and wide ranges of vegetables and soups.

If Nadyah had not stolen some food from the kitchens earlier, Rhys was sure that he could not have contained himself and tasted whatever he liked. Having slept on a full stomach, however, made Rhys feel like being reborn, even after being he rudely woken from his sleep and taken to the Steward of the house. There he was given instructions and a worn pair of clothes to wear. He now looked like all of the other house slaves, except that his raw, red wrists betrayed that not too long ago he had been in irons.
It was probably what Urúvion wanted to achieve; to punish and humiliate him -publicly if he could-for a reason that was unknown to Rhys. There were probably dozens of reasons which Urúvion had made up to get rid of him, but Rhys stubbornly refused to even contemplate about what they could be.

He did what he was told, for now. He offered Morrigan wine, the most delicious dishes; he bowed and cast his eyes down. It was what he had always done here to survive. Pretending. But his mind was working on top speed, taking in the room, the number of doors and corridors. Every detail would be imprinted in his mind, like a map, to help him escape.
Throughout the evening Rhys was standing a few steps behind Morrigan, trying hard to evade everyone’s notice. Now and then, he would look from the corner of his eyes to the girl in front of him. Her beauty still enchanted him, but there was something else. The conviction had grown that if he escaped –and of that Rhys was certain-, he could not leave Morrigan, his countrywoman, but above all the person who had saved his life, behind.

PostPosted: April 29th, 2014, 5:49 pm 

“Arawen may want a lot of things.” Beör responded darkly to Luthien’s remark. In all truth, Beör couldn’t care less what Arawen wanted, not anymore. But her newly found authority did annoy him. As they walked down the dusty path which gradually wound southwards, the ranger felt remarkably at ease as he walked beside Luthien; as if a heavy load was lifted from his shoulders. For a short moment, it felt like the old days again when he was on the road to distant places, years and years ago.

Then, acting on a sudden impulse, Beör took Luthien’s hand in his. But as soon as he felt the cool touch of her skin something happened. It felt like he was not there anymore in that desert wasteland with Luthien. Beör was back in his cold, dark cell.

Arawen was crying in the shadows, while he whispered comforting words. She was there again, silently observing how he was interrogated. Now they were extending arms through the bars of their cell, only to feel the friendly touch of another human being. He saw the contours of her silhouette in his cell after Beör had finally dared to open his eyes and a sort of blank look in her eyes, as she had not been affected by his screams.

Luthien was talking to him, looking at him worriedly. It took Beör a few moments to recognise where he was. The burning sun and the oppressing air finally made him realise he was not in his cell anymore. Abruptly, he let go of Luthien’s hand. His shirt was soaked with sweat and his face was damp and all in all he felt like he had just recovered from a fever. He averted his gaze from Luthien and continued walking, hoping that he could pretend like nothing had happened.

------------

The kitchen was one of the busiest paces at this time of the evening. At the far side of what was a large kitchen with marble floors, there were roaring fires with large pots and grills hanging above it. There were servants specifically assigned to manage those fires. There were those sitting at long tables, peeling, cutting and preparing all sorts of vegetables, fruits and other delicacies for numerous dishes. The scents of herbs and sharp spices mixed with the smell of roasted pork and poultry.

Course after course was served in the hall were the banquet was held, while in an adjoining room to the kitchen the used dishes and silverware was placed to be cleaned. The entire process was supervised by several cooks. All of them, stern and tough men, who took the process of preparing the meal very seriously and were held in the highest respect by all those who worked in the kitchen.

Nadyah looked around the room. There were pots, larger than she was, large piles of plates and buckets with silverware which cast large shadows in the dimly lit room. Nadyah hated the dark. There were scary creatures, which she could not see, but only hear, that lurked in the dark. Just like at night in her dark room. Softly, Nadyah hummed a song, a lullaby. It made her think of mom and helped her not to be afraid.

There was a loud noise of several plates crashing to small pieces, a cry and then a thundering voice, cursing out loud. It was one of the cooks, who had directed his anger to one of the kitchen helps. The kitchen help, who had probably tripped over his feet and thrown a large bowl of salad over the floor, stood there quivering and looking as if his life had almost ended.

Curiously, Nadyah tiptoed closer to the crime scene, observing quietly how the kitchen help tried to repair the damage by stammering that he would prepare another salad. “You will do nothing,” the cook sneered in reply. “Do you know that the master specifically requested these fruits and vegetables for the Lady Morrigan to recover from her illness? Do you know how delicate her state is?” The cook almost ripped out his own hair in distress at the thought of confessing to Urúvion that the specially ordered dish couldn’t be delivered.

Then his eye fell on Nadyah. “You..” How much easier it would be to let that fair haired foreign child bring the news. So he pushed a plate with toast in her hand and pointed to the hallway.

Nadyah’s cheeks were flushed and her eyes were wide with excitement as she walked to the dining hall, happy to have escaped that dark room where she had to do the dishes. She’d never been allowed to go there, but she had heard about musicians, dancers and even magicians that entertained in Urúvion’s hall. And with her head full all these new wonders, Nadyah entered the dining hall, unaware that it was she who was to bring Urúvion another bit of bad news.

PostPosted: April 30th, 2014, 1:36 pm 
Maia
Maia

Morrigan sat silently, deliberating keeping her eyes turned downwards, trying her very best to avoid Rhys’s gaze. She didn’t want anyone to look at her, let alone him. His words continued to have a profound effect on her, repeating themselves over and over in her head. They affirmed her belief that with every step she took, she was betraying her people and her country. Perhaps death would have been a more honourable choice than this. If she had been left to starve alone in the slave barracks of Taurband, none of this would ever have happened. It was a mere matter of chance that Urúvion had been there that day, caught a glimpse of her fair face.

“Morrigan?”

Hearing Urúvion’s voice, Morrigan instantly lifted her head. Once again she felt that yearning to please him, to be seen as agreeable and obedient. “My lord?” she said quietly, watching as her master picked at his food, rolling a grape between his long fingers. His expression was thoughtful; he seemed to be studying Morrigan closely.

“I hope you are well,” he said, his voice sounding strangely sincere. His dark eyes flickered, and he set aside his food, seeming bored of it. Of course, an attendant was there to step forward from the shadows take it off his hands. Urúvion reached out and took Morrigan’s hand in his, a slight frown forming on his forehead. He leaned towards her and lowered his voice. “I’m sorry for hurting you,” he continued quietly. Mingled guilt and frustration was visible in his gaze. “You angered me, sweetheart, and I have a foul temper. You may have provoked me, but the fault was mine.”

Taken aback, Morrigan stared at Urúvion, pressing her lips together, completely at a loss as to what to say. Urúvion was not a man who admitted fault easily, or at all. What was it about Morrigan that broke this unwritten rule? Not for the first time, Morrigan asked herself why it had fallen upon her to be this Nurn lord’s chosen one. “I am well,” she finally whispered, her hand shaking within his grasp. “Don’t… don’t worry.”

“But I do worry,” Urúvion insisted. “With your frail health, I should never have handled you so roughly.” His tone held a fair amount of anger, presumably directed at himself. His hold on Morrigan’s hand tightened, and then loosened. “Will you forgive me, my sweet? And forget that it ever happened?”

There was a pause. What else could she do? She could hardly refuse. Summoning a sweet smile to her lips, Morrigan nodded. “Of course. Of course I will.”

His eyes swimming with gratitude, Urúvion reached up and touched Morrigan’s hair, curling his hand gently around the back of her neck. Morrigan felt incredibly aware of Rhy’s presence behind her chair, but did her best to try and ignore it. She was also alarmed by the true feeling of guilt that Urúvion expressed. Time and time again, he confused her with the extremity of emotion he displayed. It only made him even more dangerous.

~~~

“Beör!” Luthien walked alongside her companion, quickening her pace to match his. He was trembling and covered with sweat, but seemed to want to pretend that nothing whatsoever had happened. That wasn’t going to work with Luthien. His sudden seizure had terrified her, most of all because it had come completely out of the blue, without warning. She tried to tug at his arm, desperate for him to sit down and talk to her. “What just happened? Please, please stop walking, you look so ill…” Her face was filled with dismay. Desperate to convince Beör, she called towards Arawen, who was still several steps ahead of them. “Arawen, stop! We need to stop!”

Turning her head to glance over her shoulder, Arawen took one look at Beör, her expression carefully masked to appear entirely void of emotion or sympathy. She appeared to take Luthien at her word, and calmly walked towards her and the ranger. “What happened?” she asked Luthien, disguising her tone of voice as well. She sounded as if she was merely curious, when the opposite was true; there was something about Beör’s appearance that shook her. The shade of his pallor looked so familiar.

“I… I don’t know,” Luthien hurried to reply. “It was so sudden… I think you had a kind of seizure, or a fit, Beör. You need to sit down.”

“Yes, you should,” Arawen threw her weight behind Luthien’s opinion. “We can’t stop for too long, but you can’t keep walking, looking like that. You’ll collapse.” Making her decision official, she shrugged her bag of supplies off of her shoulder and dropped it to the ground. Her tightly clenched jaw was beginning to twitch visibly, and she quickly turned away, not wanting anyone to see her mask falter.

~~~

“Your dinner should have arrived several minutes ago.” This was the second time Urúvion had commented on this turn of events, and he did not sound pleased at having to repeat his discontentment. He had specially ordered the healthiest of meals for Morrigan, hoping that nutritious fresh food would help aid her return to health. Morrigan’s seizures were a never ending source of worry and grief for him. He hated not being in control of her illness. “What can those beggars in the kitchen be thinking of? I’ve half a mind to have them all whipped.” His hands, which rested on the arms of his throne-like chair, clenched and unclenched, his knuckles turning white.

Morrigan said nothing, not daring to contradict him. She looked away for a moment, desperate to find some way to subdue Urúvion. For one moment she found herself looking at Rhys, an almost pleading look in her eyes, before she quickly looked away. It was then that she caught sight of Nadyah, the little girl who Rhys was acquainted with, entering the hall. For some reason she was not quite aware of, she felt her stomach begin to sink. What was the child doing here?

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: May 6th, 2014, 4:36 pm 

[ Here's my post, Goldy! :) I hope you like it! ;) ]

Beör immediately collapsed on a large rock, when Arawen halted and dropped her bags. Despite the heat, he shivered and he couldn’t supress a quiver in his voice when he said: “It’s alright. I’m fine now.”

He was still overwhelmed by the things he’d seen, or rather, remembered. The ranger looked up at Arawen, as if he saw her for the first time, but all he could see was her back. How strange it was to be reminded of all these feeling he had once felt when being near to her; hope- worry- hate- fear- desire…

What Beör didn’t realise was that even though he had now tasted the sweet taste of freedom dawn had not yet come. The starless night was dark as ever. Old wounds had not yet healed and the scars were still visible; an everlasting reminder of fourteen bitter years.

Time was running out.

Beör knew that. He knew it would be a matter of time before Orcs or warg scouts would catch up with them or even worse, one of the Nine would attempt to pick up their trail. Luthien and he, they were meaningless, only to be used as mere pawns to get to the person the Mouth really was looking for: Arawen. She had information, essential information, about his tactics and strategies. The loyal servant of Sauron would never stop until he had secured that Arawen would not disclose any of his secrets. They needed to cross the borders with Harad, rather sooner than later, but they hardly had anything decent to eat or a good night’s rest in days.
They were running for their lifes and he knew that he was stalling them.

“We cannot linger,” he said. “We’re already moving way too slow as it is.”

And even though Beör knew that his words should be followed up by actions, he was at the end of his strengths. He glanced at Luthien, who had a worried look on her face and had cared for everyone but herself in the past months. Yet it had been her diplomacy and her hope that got them out. If it hadn’t been for her, he would not be here.

That gave Beör strength, enough strength to utter the decision that had probably been on Arawen’s mind for a long time: “You should go one, both of you. We all know that I am the one who is slowing you down. The chance of discovery only becomes greater if I remain with you."

---

Rhys had been occupied with his own thoughts for quite a while throughout the banquet. It was a tactic, which he now and then applied in difficult situations, to keep himself out of trouble or just to keep himself sane. In this case, it was the combination of all three. Waiting on Morrigan hand and foot and enduring Urúvion’s provocations had been much harder than he had anticipated.

So therefore he had retreated in the world of his own thoughts and dreams. A plan had formed in his mind on how to escape. He could not leave Nadyah behind. He had taken it upon himself to protect the chid so she would come with him. And Morrigan as well. That’s what Rhys had decided in the moment he had left her sleeping quarters. No matter what she said, Rhys would find a way for her to come with them. Her fragile state and her dependence on luxury would propose a challenge, just as finding fresh water on their journey.

Water.

Morrigan’s goblet had been empty for quite some time, Rhys realised with a shock. Quickly, he sprang forward and at the same time he heard Urúvion words: “What can those beggars in the kitchen be thinking of? I’ve half a mind to have them all whipped.”
Distracted and shocked, he stared at Urúvion. Rhys had become used to the ruthlessness and violence of the Nurnians. But this threat, based on such a trivial matter, seemed all the more ridiculous. At that moment, Rhys’ attention slipped and he was not looking at the goblet that his fingers were searching and which he now knocked over. But before everything was lost, Rhys caught it with a quick reflex before it could tumble off the table.

Rhys looked alarmed at Morrigan, whose eyes were wide with worry. Yet she was not looking at him, but a little blond girl, who walked with a quick pace towards the dais. Nadyah.

----

Nadyah tried to look at her feet, instead of all the splendour in the hall, as she walked in the direction of Morrigan. She listened intently to the music that was playing, so that she could recall it later and inhaled the delicious scents, so that she could almost imagine that she was eating those things herself. The girl was so taken up by all these experiences, that she only noticed Him when she was a few feet away from Morrigan: the Beast. Her heart started to race, her excitement turned into panic, not wanting to come near him. Rhys took a step back. There was some space directly next to Morrigan now. So Nadyah quickly placed the plate on the table and then turned to Morrigan. Her face only reached Morrigan’s shoulder, but she whispered softly so that only Morrigan could hear: “He was very angry because the boy dropped the salad. And now.. he needs another one but he hopes you won’t be mad..Are you mad?”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 25  Next