Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 7:30 am 
Ent
Ent

Mariel glanced up from her plate and smiled as she heard the deep voice of Durian resonate in her ears. As she watched Durian stand, she noticed the woman by the window had stood and made her way to the bar, only to be taken to a back room by the kitchen. Something didn't seem right. The two sisters had given each other a look and she didn't like it.
Her suspicious thoughts were interrupted by Durian, and she allowed herself to close her eyes and revel in the comfort of his touch. She looked up at him just as he pulled away from his kiss and nodded, then she glanced back towards where the sister had taken the woman. Her face grew stern and she stood then walked over to the bar as well.
"I beg your pardon, miss, for I know it's not my place to pry, but...is everything alright with that woman? She seemed ill."

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 8:53 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Caira looked at Mariel and said,

"You aren't prying into my business asking of a customer. My sister seemed to have taken pity on her. Go back and see how she is if you wish."

Caira eyes Mariel suspiciously as she looked back toward the kitchen, but turned her gaze to the young man by the fire before Mariel turned again to her. Caila then came out from the back and said to Mariel,

"Do you know this woman? She is in a bad way, but I don't think it is her fault. If you are offering to help, she needs somewhere to lay down and rest. Could she go to your room for a while? I will give you the day free if you can. We didn't expect so many our first days, and we don't actually have all the rooms ready yet."

Caila hoped the blonde woman would agree. While Mariel thought about it, Caila looked over at her sister, and Caira returned the scowl. Mariel could tell something was not right between the sisters, but knew not what.

Outside, Durian pulled a tall seed-stalk from the grass and chewed on it, using its end to clean his teeth, He watched the two horses warily investigate each other. When one found a good patch of grass, the other would saunter over and see what they were missing. Stormer at one point wanted to play, but the mare would have none of it. Stormer was so young, and he was fortunate to have found her when he did. They were getting along and it was good to see. He would have to ask the woman about her horse. He wondered if she was all right as she looked ill. And he wondered who she was running from. Why would she arrive in such attire? He sat there and thought about it for a while longer.

When he started feeling beads of sweat start to form on his head, he stood up and headed back to the inn.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 10:47 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Deumeawyn felt like she was walking, and when she got to somewhere where she could sit, the bartender gave her something to drink and some herb to chew on. She left and the talking outside the door echoed in her head. Duemeawyn closed her eyes and everything spun. She had to keep them open! She was breathing in short gasps and sweat started to run down her temple.

Another woman came into her vision. She was blurred but she recognized her to be the blonde woman that was at the table with those others. Deumeawyn reached for her hand in hopes it would keep her from falling. She felt like she was falling… Was she here to help me or … ?

It was a friendly hand. It steadied her, and Deumeawyn blinked the wetness from her eyes and she looked up at the blonde in a pleading cry for help.

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 11:34 am 
Ent
Ent

Mariel was about to answer Caila honestly, but then she remembered what the two sisters were up to, according to Durian. She nodded quickly.
"Aye, she was a maiden who worked in the tavern alongside me, and yes, she may have my room."
Mariel glanced over at Caira as she held out her hand for the key, but instead of handing her the key, she reached out and took her hand, said a quick 'thank-you', then headed back to where the woman sat with a smile on her face.
Her smile quickly faded as she saw the woman close her eyes and reach out her hand. Mariel ran to her and took her hand, then knelt down and rested a hand gently on the womans' shoulder.
"Shh, it will be alright. I'm here to help you miss. Please, tell me what ails you."

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 4:42 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Seeing everyone was distracted, Lwelyn decided to make a dash for the door, swinging his pack over his back, he quickly crossed the room. Opening the door he quickly bolted out. However only a few strides from the door, he crashed into a man and fell backwards into the dust. Cringing, he crawled backwards muttering apologies.

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 5:47 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

"Days you say?" The old man inquired. "I'm afraid I may not have such time."

"If you are needing help with something I'm sure I can be of assistance," Calypso offered.

"That you could... but i need this women too. She can hear the music."

Calypso gave a knowing nodd. "I see..."

It wasn't long before the company at the table vanished, however. Each to their own task. The old man sat, a thoughtful look on his face.

--

Outside, from atop the large hill behind the inn prying eyes watched the horses graze below and a man. They sat still, for the time being.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 6:04 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

“Thank you. I.. I am fatigued. I have not slept for two days, and it was stupid of me to drink. But…”
Deumeawyn paused as she held the woman’s hand. She blinked and looked at her face and as her vision was not so blurred now, ad she thought she looked sincere.
“I think… I think I may be able to stand now.”
She said in almost a whisper. She was not so dizzy now. She started to get up but sat back down. She looked at the woman that was in front of her and said,
“I think I will need a room… I need to rest… I can pay…”
Deumeawyn held the woman’s hand and took her other one and she stood. She swayed a bit but steadied.
”I can walk… I think.”
She took a deep breath and looked out toward the common room.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 6:16 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian had just rounded the corner of the inn when the door flew open. The young man with the shaggy dark locks that had been nervously sitting and watching the common room by the fire was on the run, and he ran right into him. Durian stepped back but the young man fell backwards and landed off the porch in the dust. He seemed genuinely sorry even as he tried to make distance from Durian.

"Well met young master."

Durian said as he slowly offered the young man his hand to help him to his feet. He then said,

"It's not my business to ask what business has you in need for swiftness, but maybe you should have some water before you run too much."

He offered the man his water bag, as he added,

"Durian is my name, pleased to meet you young sir."

He looked around warily as he scratched his ear. But turned back to the young man.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Caila took the moment to step over to her sister and she said in a quiet forceful voice,

"What are you doing! Why did you give that unsuspecting woman one of your concoctions?"

"Relax sis, it isn't fatal."

Caira said uncaringly. Caila got closer to her face and said, trying to keep it quiet so as not to disturb the guests,

"We are running a respectable inn here! Don't you ever do that again!"

"Correction sister..."

Caira said,

"You...are running this inn. I tried to make nice one night, and it just isn't me. Now, I won't abandon you, but I have other things to do than to spend every waking hour here in this place. I'll go to Bree and arrange to get those remaining supplies you need to make this ... inn ... complete."

Caira walked to the end of the bar and looked in at the two women inside the kitchen door as she passed them. Caila followed her closely and started to say,

"Now you wait..."

Caira turned and stopped her with her hand. Caila realized the two women noticing the disagreement the sisters were having. Caila sighed and said,

"We will see you tomorrow then?"

"Maybe..."

Caira said as she went out the back door to ready her horse.

Caila sighed as she was left to run the inn on her own.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 9:24 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel looked at the woman with sincere worry. She knew what it was like to be without sleep for days on end, but as Mariel looked into her eyes, she could tell that there was more to her story than just a lack of sleep. Mariel nodded and smiled encouragingly at the woman as she took her hands and steadied her as she stood.
"It's alright, miss. I'll help you to my room until they get the proper accommodations for you."
Mariel waited until she was ready, then after a few moments, she helped the woman walk out of the kitchen and into the common room. As they made their way around the tables toward the hall that led to the rooms, Mariel nodded at the old man and the other woman who he was speaking with. Guilt weighed heavily on her heart, for the last thing she heard the old man say before going to help the woman was that....well, it sounded as if he was dying.
Mariel sighed softly, but vowed in her heart to help him hear the music before he left.
Finally, she and the woman made it to her door, so she took her key and opened the door, then let it close shut after they walked through the threshold.
"Here you are, miss."
She spoke gently as she helped the woman lie down on her bed.
"Rest now, for you are safe. No one will find you here....and if they do, they'll have to go through me...which isn't much, granted, but...just know that you have a friend in me."
Mariel spoke kindly as she gently squeezed the womans hand.
"Forgive me for not introducing myself. My name is Mari-"
Mariel widened her eyes slightly as she caught herself giving away her true name.
"Marion. My name is Marion."

PostPosted: March 27th, 2017, 10:04 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

"Well met young master."

Lwelyn stared at the man's hand for a second before taking it warily. Scrambling to his feet, he brushed the dust from his patched trousers.

"It's not my business to ask what business has you in need for swiftness, but maybe you should have some water before you run too much."

He stared suspiciously as the man offered him water. The words pounded in his head, "No one gives anything freely unless they want something in return."

"Durian is my name, pleased to meet you young sir."

Lwelyn still did not accept the water, wondering if he should flee while the man, Durian, was distracted. Doubt gnawed at him. Finally he took the water, but held it.

"I am called Lwelyn," he said quietly, eyes downcast.

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 8:14 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Deumeawyn knew she was being let somewhere. She tried to focus on her path and held close to the blonde woman. Deumeawyn thought many ill thoughts as they went to a room with the blonde woman. She was I complete trust of this woman she did not know, and it was possible much ill could come from this. But as she leaned into the woman and felt her warmth and caring, Deumeawyn seemed to relax. When they got into the room, Deumeawyn collapsed on the bed. She listened to the woman’s voice and she sounded sincere. She said ‘friend’. Could she be a friend? She has helped me. Deumeawyn opened her eyes and said after she gave her name,
“I…I am Deumeawyn. But I go by a name my father gave me at birth, and that is Dawn. He said I was born as the sun broke the darkness. Thank you Mari… for this. For letting me stay and rest here. I must look a mess.”
Dawn was getting her thoughts back some now. She pulled her cloak hard around her, for she had nothing on other than her nightdress and this wool cloak. She didn’t want Mari to see her like this… She said as she closed her eyes as she lay down.
“I do not wish to keep you from your friends Mari….Marion. You have been so nice. I will remember this forevermore. I cannot thank you enough. “
Dawn took deep breaths… she was starting to feel like she would be better after some rest.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 1:20 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The old man and Calypso chatted for a while longer in hushed voices. They seemed to be discussing something quite serious. Finaly Calypso gave him a nod and headed out of the inn.

"Save my room," she told the women at the counter. "I'll be back tonight."

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 9:53 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel laid a hand reassuringly on Dawn's arm and smiled softly at her.
"Well, there's nothing that a bit of rest can't fix, so just relax. And please, do not worry yourself about me, I'm sure my...friends...will be fine without me."
Mariel was about to ask her why she was running, but thought it best to keep her inquisitiveness to herself. Perhaps she would reveal that later.
"Is there anything that I can get you before you rest?"

PostPosted: March 28th, 2017, 11:02 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian nodded as the young man gave his name and said,

”Well met Lwelyn. I’m not sure what you have in mind of doing, but if you would be willing to do something for me, I will pay you for it in the realms coin.”

He looked to see what Lwelyn would do with the offer when the worrior woman came out the door of the inn and seemed intent to fulfil what it was she set out to do. She only paused as Caira set off with speed on her horse galloping down the road to Bree. Durian watched this and looked back in the inn and said to Lwelyn,

”Something curious is going on in there I believe. Add to that someone or something is watching the inn from afar, and one of the proprietors running off like this.”

Durian looked at the high country far off to the east and the hills to the south of the inn before asking,

”What do you make of all this Lwelyn?”

Inside, Caila stood frustrated as she watched the blond woman help the sick one to her room. She noted the young man had left, as had the strange woman in battle dress The old glazier was still at the table and she went over to him and asked,

”I thank you for your fine work on the windows sir. Is there anything I can get you now?”

Caila smiled at him, all the while remembering that the blonde woman had said to Caira that both she and the ill woman had worked in a tavern. Maybe she could hire on or both of them…

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 3:16 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn sat up on the bed and though she was still a bit dizzy. She looked at Marion and said,
”I could use some water to drink, and I need to wash up.”
She stretched out her arms and removed her cloak over her head and let it drop on her lap. Her white long nightdress was stained with blood on her side.
“As for clothes, well, I… I left in a hurry.”
Marion saw the blood and looked concerned. Dawn eased her when she said,
“It is not mine.... but it is why I had to leave in a hurry.”
Dawn looked down in thought before looking again at Marion, who looked like she had many questions. She smiled at her slightly and her look invited questions. It felt strange to feel like she had a friend.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: March 29th, 2017, 11:56 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

”Well met Lwelyn. I’m not sure what you have in mind of doing, but if you would be willing to do something for me, I will pay you for it in the realms coin.”

Lwelyn paused, unsure what to do. Here was someone offering a real deal. A job for money. He desperately needed money. Horses hooves sounded and a woman sped off down the road.

"Something curious is going on in there I believe. Add to that someone or something is watching the inn from afar, and one of the proprietors running off like this...What do you make of all this Lwelyn?”

His dark eyes looked up at the man, Durian, and bit his lip.

"I don't know sir," he said quietly. "But I feel it...its like the War was never fought here....and...and I know it was."

He straightened, forcing his eyes to meet Durian's eyes.

"What sort of job...?"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 30  Next