Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 12:09 pm 
Elf
Elf

yipes... it's run away from me! I'll take a Middle-Earth human, if thats ok. I've been wanting to try out this charrie for a while:

Name: Rothana, daughter of Cinhilond
Home: Minas Tirith
Race: Human
Appearance: Medium height, long brown hair, green eyes. Usually wears plain blouse and skirt, leather surcoat.
Weapons: Proficient with slingshot, but doesn't usually carry one. Typically has a few knives somewhere on the premises.
Personality: Optimistic, but used to taking the rough with the smooth. Accustomed to independence.
History: Rothana is the eldest in a family of five girls. She informally apprenticed herself to her father, a blacksmith, having a definite interest in his trade. This was extremely fortunate, as her father died when she was seventeen. Since then, she has helped to support her family by working as a silversmith, although the occupation is unusual for one of her gender. Most of her work is with jewelry, ornamentation, and housewares, but in her spare time, she has been experimenting with new steel preparation techniques.

Where exactly are you all coming from, and where are you geographically?

Last edited by Valera Elenhathel on November 30th, 2006, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 12:23 pm 
Maia
Maia

((Sure! I'll add you.))

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 4:10 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

((Yes, we can do the phone message over PM))

Joelle picked up the phone slowly. She did not want to talk now. "Hello?"

Banner by Limwen - Villya

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2006, 5:07 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Aerandir wrote:
(Can I just separate my OC writing from my actual RPing with a line of "------" like I normally do, SG?)

-----

Teledhelion raised an eyebrow at his companions. "What frightens you so about this palantír?" he asked curiously. "If it is indeed such a thing, then it was made of old in Valinor by the Noldor, our kin. Why then should we fear it?"
He waited for a suitable answer, all the while watching the seeing stone.

"It is not known who possesses the other Seeing Stones," replied Meleth. "They are not all accounted for, you forget - and there is much in Middle-Earth we do not know, even now that Sauron is destroyed."

She glanced at him and added, "I am not frightened, as you put it, - but we should be wary, at least."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2006, 11:29 am 
Vala
Vala

"Very well, then," Teledhelion said, shrugging. "But I see not how it might bring us to harm, because King Elessar regained the stone of Minas Ithil, and the others are also either in his hands, taken to Valinor, or lost in the Icebay of Forochel--this one must be the stone of Osgiliath." He reached out as if to take it (not as if it's got some negative grip on his brain, mind you!), then changed his mind and withdrew his hand. "I believe we should study it, that the better of our smiths may try their skill at making more of them, for they would be very useful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2006, 5:12 pm 
Elf
Elf

In Minas Tirith...

Rothana withdrew the white-hot strip of fine steel from the furnace, bearing the quickly-cooling metal to the anvil with a pair of tongs. Wielding a hammer, she began beating the steel, folding it over on itself. When it was too cool to fuse well, she engulfed it in the flames yet again.

The smith had been working on this particular piece for well over a month - in her spare time. She was proud to see blue ripples begin to appear in the steel, a characteristic found mostly in fine elven workmanship. As she transferred the metal again to her anvil, a footstep sounded at the smithy door, and she looked up, shaking away the sweat beading on her forehead. It was a man, a messenger or servant of some kind.

"Mistress, where might I find the smith? I was told to come to the house of Cinhilond."

"You were told rightly." Rothana continued beating the steel; it was fast becoming unmalleable. "Might I be of service?"

"I had rather see the smith directly."

"Ah." She smiled, understanding his conundrum. "I am she."

He gaped at her. "And Cinhilond?"

"My father. Dead these five years." Taking the steel back to the furnace, she placed it in again and began working the bellows with her foot. "Killed by robbers, close to where you stand. May I be of service?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 1st, 2006, 6:02 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

(no idea how to jump in... lets try this...)

Lughir rode his black mare, Morwen tward Minas-Tirith. He wanted to meet Aragorn, a fellow Dunadain that Lughir hadn't met yet...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 2nd, 2006, 12:30 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

Aerandir wrote:
"Very well, then," Teledhelion said, shrugging. "But I see not how it might bring us to harm, because King Elessar regained the stone of Minas Ithil, and the others are also either in his hands, taken to Valinor, or lost in the Icebay of Forochel--this one must be the stone of Osgiliath." He reached out as if to take it (not as if it's got some negative grip on his brain, mind you!), then changed his mind and withdrew his hand. "I believe we should study it, that the better of our smiths may try their skill at making more of them, for they would be very useful.

"There have been other artifacts said to be lost in deep waters - and later discovered nonetheless," said Meleth. Everyone knew that of which she spoke; the One Ring. "Perhaps, as you say, our smiths should study it, but I think first we need enlist the aid of one more experienced in the area, to assure ourselves that there is no sinister force possessing another."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2006, 5:39 am 
Vala
Vala

Eruraina, considering that Aragorn was the chief of the Dunedain, wouldn't it kind of make sense that Lughir would have met him before? Lol....

----

"Perhaps it would be wise, yes, but is it not overly cautious?" Teledhelion asked. "For now, the only Palantir unaccounted for is the one that was lost in the Ice Bay of Forochel, and who could reach that one save Ulmo or Osse themselves? And since they are both Ainur, why would they have need of it, or bear us ill intent?" He crossed his arms while he waited for an acceptable answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2006, 12:02 pm 
Elf
Elf

The servant half-shrugged and produced a leather pouch. "This necklace belongs to Lady Yvone of Ithilien. She and her husband have travelled here to celebrate the birth of the heir, and she intends to wear this to the festivities. It is an heirloom; take care with it. It is in sore need of repair."

Rothana moved the steel to the side of the furnace, where it would stay heated, but not disintegrate. Moving forward, she took the pouch and brought it to her workbench, where she teased open the drawstrings. A glittering tangle of finely wrought silver emerged. As she sorted it out into a more conventional necklace shape, she managed to suppress a groan.

"This is a delicate piece indeed - very few craftsmen now possess the skill to fashion a work such as this."

"Can you do the job or no? The house of Cinhilond was highly recommended to my lady."

Rothana inspected it carefully before replying. "Aye, I can do it. But it will take a fair amount of time."

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2006, 4:29 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"You can never be overly cautious," retorted Meleth, and turned to Aearion. "Here, I have room in my saddlebags - when we arrive in Gondor perhaps the smith there will be interested in seeing it."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2006, 4:48 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Aerandir wrote:
Eruraina, considering that Aragorn was the chief of the Dunedain, wouldn't it kind of make sense that Lughir would have met him before? Lol....

(I didn't know that Aragorn was the chief of the Dunedain! And I'm still not sure of what to post...)

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2006, 7:14 pm 
Maia
Maia

Aearion causiously nodded, and got back to his feet and dusted himself off, then swiftly mounted Morel.

"Alright... But we will ask his majesty's permission first." He stated firmly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2006, 1:37 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

"Naturally." replied Meleth, and stowed the stone in one of her bags. "I can't imagine doing otherwise."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 4th, 2006, 9:13 pm 
Elf
Elf

The servant nodded. "My lady requires it within a week's time."

"Aye," Rothana replied again, and stared resentfully at his retreating back, muttering. "After all, I don't really need to sleep, do I? That necklace is a bundle of work and no mistake!" She pulled the steel out of the furnace and subjected it to another beating before finally quenching it in a barrel of water.

Going to the one window, she wrenched open the creaking shutters and iron grille, letting the morning light fall across her workbench. Selecting a glass lens, she seated herself and began inspecting the jewelry in minute detail, marveling at the delicate knotting and etching. The main problem lay in the setting of the precious stones; channel sets demanded an amazing amount of attention, and many of the stones had become loose or fallen out. "How did they even escape initially?" she wondered aloud. To reset them, the surrounding metal would have to be melted, re-grooved, and finally re-etched. She'd better get started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 5th, 2006, 3:34 am 
Vala
Vala

Eruraina, I think you could just post with Lughir being with most of the rest of us by the river.

---

Teledhelion snorted. "Suit yourselves," he said, mounting his own horse. "It may be that King Elessar will grant us permission to study this Palanír, but I doubt it." If the King gave them permission, it would be surprising indeed, for the Palantír were, by right of inheritance, the King's property.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next