Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently May 21st, 2024, 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2011, 3:04 pm 

[ I really love it when Maethoriel refers to Gandalf as the Wizard. I really hope Gandalf will appear somewhere at the end of this RPG. :) ]

Beör brushed absent minded over the tracks which the tears had left on his face. His skin was dry and rough, only a burning sensation reminded him of the tears that had dripped down his beard. He hated it, he used to curse himself for crying. It was such a natural reaction to emotions, but almost impossible to control. Long ago, when he'd just been there, he'd cried, cried because of despair or cried because of pain. It was a weakness, a sign to show that one was broken, or defeated. And Beör never wanted to show weakness. Yet the tears he'd now shed were no tears of weakness, but tears of humanity, something Beör still considered being one and the same.

Beör, will you look at me? Please?

When the Ranger looked up at her, he saw her pretty face, stained with tears. He saw her determination to give him hope and courage, but no more. He was unable to see Luthien’s love. Too long had he lived in the shadows, in a place which was forsaken of hope and love, that he could no longer recognise it. Yet he wondered why she was so set on helping him. He was nothing; a bitter man, damaged but not broken. How could she be willing to save what was already lost? Was she just naïve or was he a charity case? Or was it her natural spirit of optimism that made it impossible for her not to hope; her unaffected kindness and ability to see the best in anyone; her honest hope for freedom..

As he slowly edged towards the bars of the cell, he answered to her sweet pleas with a gruff voice: “You should keep hope. You deserve a world freedom and hope, without worry or pain, and it did exist, long ago..” Beör’s grey, empty eyes tried to find hers and he sat down, stretching his arm through the bars of his cell. “I just didn’t find it.. But you will, that I know..”
He stretched his hand as far as he could and was just able to grasp Luthien’s fingertips. As soon as he touched her a warm feeling spread through his arm, through his body. Her skin was soft and cold, but it was so good to feel her touch. It seemed almost soothing, and although emotions were still raging inside of him, his mind became tranquil.
He lay his head against the cold bars, and closed his eyes, yet he held on to Luthien like his life depended on it. Once he may have thought that the Gondorian maiden was a child still, and in need of protection, but very soon it would become obvious that Beör was in greater need of her. And soon he was to realise that he needed her if he wanted to survive that was still ahead of them..

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 11th, 2011, 8:28 am 
Maia
Maia

Luthien gave an exhalation of relief as Beör finally turned his face towards her, and edged towards the bars. Her arm still hung in the air, shaking slightly. She listened to his reply with a heart bursting with love, her eyes still brimming with tears. She closed her eyes, and after a moment she was alerted by the touch of the ranger’s hand. She wound her fingers round his as best she could, and leaned her forehead against the bars, a feeling of immense peace rushing through her senses. “You deserve it too,” she whispered. “The world you speak of. And you will find it. You are not so lost as you think.”

She remembered when the Mouth had set them loose from his chambers, to wander the long, dark corridors. They had been utterly alone, and she had been ill with the aftereffects of the Mouth’s dark magic. In a situation of such danger, they had both felt driven to stay together, and not to be parted, whatever the cost. Beör had looked after her; cared for her. Luthien wondered whether he’d simply thought that she was a little girl in need of protection, but she could not help hoping that he saw her differently, that he loved her as she loved him. Just as she needed to believe he wasn’t beyond hope, she needed to believe that he could love her.

Opening her eyes, she saw that Beör too had leaned his head against the bars of his cell, and his eyes were closed. She carefully observed the expression on his face, wondering what it spoke of. Remaining silent about her great regard for him was becoming almost too much to bear; but she knew that some day soon she would find the perfect opportunity to tell him of her feelings. A small smile crept up on her features as she held his hand comfortingly. “Very soon, we’ll be able to leave,” she said, softly. “Arawen and Maethoriel will come for us. And then… then we’ll have to summon all of our courage. I’m ready, Beör. I’ve been ready to escape since the first day I arrived here. I truly believe that this terrible darkness cannot last.”

~~~

Arawen met Maethoriel’s gaze steadily as the woman looked at her sharply, before the half-elf’s eyes seemed to glaze over. She waited patiently for a few moments; she knew that Maethoriel was prone to odd turns such as this – looking back at the page now, shaking her head, and then lifting her head and laughing. Arawen did not share the laughter, as she did not know the source of Maethoriel’s strange amusement. She only gave a small nod of acknowledgement when Maethoriel finally gave a murmur of approval for her work. She, too, was quite relieved that she’d not been caught stealing from the vaults. Arawen was well aware of the terrible consequences of theft in the Mouth’s household. The Mouth had a habit of pouncing upon the smallest of misdemeanors with unbelievable cruelty; she’d seen it before. Often she was the one chosen to enforce these strict rules.

When Maethoriel finally began to speak of their escape route, Arawen gave a brief, impersonal smile as she leaned over the table, peering at the map. Maethoriel traced her chosen routes. There seemed something almost agitated about her speech, despite her cold calculations; Arawen supposed it was because her thoughts seemed to move so quickly. She always seemed to be very on edge; that was one of the things about her Arawen had never really liked. But now, in their current situation, it did not seem to bother her nearly so much. On the contrary, she saw the woman’s quick thinking as an aid rather than a nuisance – as long as she put her “gifts” to good purpose, Arawen saw no reason to worry. But this was the catch; Arawen did not want to let her guard down, least of all around Maethoriel, who’s mood and demeanor seemed to change like the wind.

“Nurn,” she repeated the name quietly. “Yes. Wise. Although, concerning the Nine, we cannot be too… contented. They have an important task to look to but they have a nasty habit of springing up where they’re least expected. We will simply have to remain on guard. But yes… the Witch-king in particular has good reason to stay at home. He is putting the final touches to his great host in Minas Morgul.” In speaking these words, she freely gave Maethoriel information that the Mouth had thought she’d never dare trust another with. But her tone was cool and mercantile; she did not seem too attached to the statement.

Maethoriel banged her fist on the table, and Arawen did not so much as flinch. She turned her head towards the woman, waiting. Maethoriel was now pacing about the small room, and had placed a pipe between her teeth. Arawen straightened up, bringing herself to her full height. She gave several small nods as Maethoriel spoke, before the woman simply collapsed into a chair and looked at her silently. “A good plan,” Arawen said. “Concise, well-formulated. I like it. But be aware that we might be a little delayed whilst in Nurn. It’s a place operated by fear and slavery, and no doubt the Eye has put in place servants much like the Mouth, with delusions of grandeur.” With those last words her voice dripped with disdain. “If they trust our story, then we’ll perhaps be asked to break our journey there. And if they don’t… we’d have to break it anyway, permanently. Trade one prison cell for another, one might say.” She paused. “But these are all matters that can be addressed later. The important thing is that we should make haste; tonight. We begin tonight.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 13th, 2011, 7:11 pm 

It was a moment of calmness and somehow peace. The dark world in which the prisoners lived seemed always the same; cold and fear dominated the endless days of which no one could tell if it was morning or night time, whether it was autumn or spring There was no warmth of the sun, not a laughter of joy, not the rustling of leaves. Time seemed to stand still in Mordor even though life went on. But in that moment of calmness, when Beör just quietly held on to Luthien, life just seem to stand still. Even his inward struggle whether to trust, to care, to feel seemed to have ceased only for just a moment. Luthien’s encouraging words didn’t even scare him away as they usually did. It was just the two of them, and nothing else seemed to matter, not even where they were and what was to happen.

Yet this spell of relative peace was broken when Luthien mentioned the names of Arawen and Maethoriel. He slowly opened his eyes and met Luthien’s hopeful gaze. His expression had been serene but now a frown had appeared on his bearded face, which was now drawn, as if with pain.
“You seem to trust Arawen,” he stated simply, without any reproof in his voice. “What is the foundation of this trust? How did she earn it?”
Upon pronouncing her name he felt his heart rate increasing. Yes, he did forgive her, but still, he didn’t understand, he couldn’t forget and for that he still blamed her. And did Luthien know? She shouldn’t be misguided. She should be aware of what for person she was dealing with.

The grip on Luthien’s fingers tightened as Beör looked up at Luthien’s face as he spoke softly: “You don’t know what she’s capable of. What she has done..”

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 1:25 pm 
Maia
Maia

Luthien watched as Beör’s eyes opened, and the expression on his face changed. Steadfast, she held onto his hand, her eyes still filled with their hopeful light. She listened to him silently; he looked somehow as if he was in pain. Luthien opened her mouth to answer his question, but no words came out; a small pause stretched out between them, but before she could strive to fill it, Beör’s hand clasped hers tighter, and he spoke again. Luthien’s heart was now thudding hard. How could she explain to him the trust she felt towards Arawen? It was confusing even to her. All she knew was that she seemed to have caught a glimpse of Arawen’s old self, the last remaining signs of humanity behind the cold, dark exterior she presented to the outside world. Whatever she had done, she was still human, she had still suffered like them. Luthien wholeheartedly believed that she needed to be given a chance.

“Yes, I trust her,” she finally answered, softly. “I believe that she’ll keep her promise and that she will do her best to free us. She is a prisoner too, Beör; and I believe she truly seeks redemption. This is reason enough to keep her word.” She held onto the ranger’s hand tightly, in case he should suddenly pull away from her. “I cannot let myself believe that she is beyond hope,” she continued. “I have looked into her eyes, and do you know what I saw there? I saw a longing for death. What she has done here clearly claws at her soul. I do not know all that she has done, nor am I sure I wish to…” her brow puckered for a moment in a slight frown. Her heart was still beating hard. It felt strange, to be defending someone who had inflicted so much hurt. But deep in her heart, Luthien knew that this was something she needed to do. “When first I saw her, I despised her on instinct. If you remember, I spat in her face. But now I forgive her.”

She leaned her brow against the bars of her cell, her eyes closing, as if her long speech had exhausted her. Her arm was beginning to ache, but she held onto Beör’s hand all the same. After a few moments, her eyes opened. Turning her head, she looked Beör in the eye. Despite her fatigue, everything suddenly seemed very clear. Her expression was soft, and her gaze filled with love. “You’ve hated and blamed her for so long,” she said, quietly, without criticism; her tone was understanding and gentle. “So much resentment, Beör. You must have trusted her once, before she became the figurehead of all your hurt. You did trust her, didn’t you?” She swallowed, her mouth feeling dry. Her eyes stung slightly now as she was moved by the sudden realization, and compassion stirred in her heart.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 7:16 pm 

[My apologies for this gloomy post, but Luthien (and Ludovico Einaudi :P ) just made me write it. Beör's just really messed up, but I can't wait to introduce my new charrie, who definately less suicidal and messed up. :teehee: ]

I trust her.. She is a prisoner too, Beör.. I have looked into her eyes and I saw a longing for death..

Luthien's voice echoed through his mind; her words in defense of Arawen repeating over and over again. Her words pained him, seemed to cut him deep like a knife. She seemed to be choosing sides.. He had forgiven Arawen, but still he couldn't stop hating her. He'd tried to understand, but he couldn't. He had forgiven, but just couldn't let go.

You must have trusted her once, before she became the figurehead of all your hurt.. You did trust her, didn’t you?

Beör's face became pale with anger as painful memories of long ago washed over him. The Gondorian girl had become his friend, whom he'd given his trust, hope and comfort. They'd shared their hopes and emotions as they were both in it together.. Until she betrayed him and herself. How she was turned or why Beör never knew, yet all he remembered was that she returned to his cell one night, how she'd ignored his pleas and cries, proving herself to the Servant of Sauron.

Beör pulled his hand away from Luthien's with force, and started to pace down his cell in fury. Did Luthien see a longing for death in Arawen's eyes? He had wanted to die. He had wanted to die because the pain that the betrayal of Arawen had caused him. He had wanted to die because of what she did to him. But they just wouldn't let him.. Did Luthien really think that she felt remorse and sought for salvation? The fact that she'd left a man, who'd called himself her friend, rot in a cell for more than ten years, had apparently not weighed on her conscious.

Fury and hatred had built up inside him as all those vindictive thoughts raced through his head. It poisoned him and he couldn't think; he couldn't breath anymore. And in the shadow of his cell Beör growled as he hit the wall with all his power again, again and again, trying to relieve his frustration. Pain shot up his hand, which immediately clouded his mind, calming him. He fell on his knees, his back turned to Luthien, and breathed deeply in and out, as if he'd run a long distance.

Arawen's betrayal had been cold and calculated. It had left his broken into pieces, it had robbed him of his hope and it had made him never to trust anyone ever again. And she'd been there to mock him and to gloat. All he was now, he owed to her. She had broken him..

"Do not speak of things of which you don't know anything about," the Ranger said in a harsh tone. He covered his face with his hands in order to regain his emotions, which had been set loose by Luthien's provoking words. "Or of which you don't wish anything to know about."

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 1:01 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

The woman's head drooped and she stared at her leather clad hands. They danced distractedly with each other and she couldn't figure out whether it was a habit she had formed or if it was a manifestation of the state of her mind. She supposed that it could be both, but - in all honesty - she hardly cared one way or the other. It was just that the action seemed strange. Maybe she felt too removed from her body. Clearly the magic was taking over, begging to be let loose in a swirl of heat and red fury. That is how it always happened, though.

Maethoriel was swept away from the body she was held in and into something, somewhere, she didn't really want to be. Somewhere bigger than her that controlled her actions - she did not much like being controlled, but she couldn't stop it. Not anymore.
Maethoriel took pause in her reverie and glanced at the girl. It was short and piercing as if she were looking through her at something more insubstantial than the corporeal form than the brunette's slender shape. Her mind was filtering through her words. They had not gone unnoticed - though the madwoman's mind was often distracted she had trained at least part of it to pay enough attention to the reality around her. It worked too, most of the time. Sometimes she found that nothing got through, but that was beside the point. The point was...Nurn

Nurn.

The dark sea.

Slaves.

The children.

Yes! Those children were the future of the world. She had one.

Somewhere.

With Bear she believed and that brought a smile whose only description was sentimental. Bear. The thought flashed and died before returning to the group of children she was charged with now. They would amount to something. She'd watch them, though they would say to their deaths that they needed none of her protection. She smirked. The Wizard would have found the situation a fitting irony.

"We will be received as guests. I have connections and, if things do take a turn, then I will burn Nurn to the ground,” she said in such a manner that suggested she was not talking about a massacre, but nice tea and scones.

“Tonight? Hmmm…” she considered dully. It was soon, possibly premature. She looked at Arawen though, the façade the child built up was slipping, she could see it, which meant others would soon. Yes, best leave while the china doll could still play pretend.

“Rally your prisoners then and meet me outside. There is a precipice you will find me easily enough,” the woman walked across the room and reached outside pulling the lantern.
“Bring it with you. It may prove useful yet. The woman kept the door open and impolitely pushed the younger woman out.

“Make haste,” was the final sentence said before there was nothing left of the room except the dark and furniture still decorated with papers.

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2011, 1:14 pm 
Maia
Maia

Arawen soon found herself back in her chambers, the door shut firmly behind her. So, it was finally time. She cast her gaze around the room, which she had called “home” for several years now. She supposed she’d come a long way in ten years. She was twenty-eight now; all this time she’d kept track of her age. There were some here who simply forgot, the passage of time scraping away all recollection of their former selves. Arawen still remembered, even though at times she’d done her best to forget. She’d arrived in Mordor at eighteen, a frightened but proud girl in a prison cell, resplendent in her red gown. Time had changed her. The magical torture which the Mouth had inflicted upon her over the years had changed her, as had the iron shackles clamped about her ankles. So many things. She remembered everything. The snatched conversations with Beör. Urúvion’s visits. Thinking of the man’s name sent a shiver down her spine. She wondered where he had gone, once the Mouth had given him his orders. Urúvion had never been one to give up on himself after one defeat.

Taking a small snatch of breath, she paced across the room, dropping Maethoriel’s lantern on her desk, her footsteps alarmingly swift. She flung open the doors of her wardrobe and removed a long sheet, shaking it out and placing the hoard of stolen weapons inside the length of material, bundling them up and tying the ends in tight knots. She grabbed a leather belt and knotted it about her waist, securing a sheathed sword at her hip. Rising to her feet with one easy movement, she carried the bundle of weapons under her arm, concealed by her cloak. Now, what else should she bring? It was necessary that they traveled light, but she couldn’t let her prisoners starve to death on the journey. Well, she had no access to any food at the moment; she would simply have to leave it to Maethoriel.

There were various objects that she could have taken with her; little trinkets, gifted to her by the Mouth with his ironic sense of humor. Necklaces she’d never worn, rings. All crafted by man and elf. Her chambers had been furnished beautifully for her over the years, but she’d never delighted in it. It was still a prison, not so very different, really, from the cold, dark cell she’d once dwelt in, and then the squalid, solitary box room she’d been moved to, separated from human company, when she’d refused to cooperate with the wishes of her captors. Over the years, slowly, little by little, they’d worked at her with as many cruel devices that could be employed before she’d finally given in and agreed to do as the Mouth wished.

Everyone here had played a part in shaping who Arawen was today, whether they liked it or not. Beör, who had believed Arawen to have betrayed him. He had not seen the dark treatment she had been given. How could he have? After she’d been moved, it must have been left to him to imagine that she had been broken. But not so. They had chained her up, alone in that tiny room, and set about destroying her. And then there was Urúvion, who’d worked so hard to break her will, before finally he was removed, his position at the Mouth’s side made vacant for her. The sweet words, the threatening words, he’d whispered to her so long ago haunted her memory still. Her hatred for him had not slipped away. Perhaps if she ever found him again, she would kill him.

That thought made her feel sick to her stomach. What was she? Quickly scooping up the lantern from the desk, she took one last look about her chambers. She’d not miss them. Very soon she’d be gone from here, as long as everything went according to plan – as long as this wasn’t all some elaborate trick of Maethoriel’s. She still distrusted her. She had always distrusted her. Quickly exiting the room, shutting the door carefully behind her, she set off at lightning pace down along the corridor. She was making good time. With any luck, they would all soon be free – but the moment the prison door opened was when everything would truly begin.

~~~

Luthien’s expression changed when Beör suddenly snatched his hand away, infuriated by her words. She watched him pace up and down his cell, possessed by a fury she’d never seen before. Luthien’s pale skin flushed pink with a mixture of anger and distress, and her slender form trembled as she rose up to her feet with difficulty. She shook her head helplessly as the ranger hit the wall of his cell, before he fell down to his knees. His muttered, harsh words sparked something fierce within Luthien, and she was unwilling to unleash it. After they’d come so far, she couldn’t let all of it go. She didn’t want to rage and shout, but it felt as if the walls of her cell were closing in on her, preventing her from breathing properly.

“Stop it,” she said, eventually. “Stop it!” Her tone was at once pleading and reproachful. “Stop it. You shall not say such things to me. I’ll speak as I wish. Friends are supposed to be honest with each other, and that is what we are, isn’t it?” She drew closer to the bars of her cell, tears welling up in her eyes. “I spoke the truth and you know it, Beör. But I don’t blame you. How could I? It’s this place, it’s these bars…” she gripped them desperately, as if she might rend them apart. “If we could only get out… get out, far away from here… I’d show you, I know I could…” she was beginning to gabble in her anguish, tears rolling freely down her cheeks. She was on the very brink of telling him how she felt, that she loved him, before the iron door to the cell block was suddenly flung open.

Luthien flinched away from the bars, before she saw that it was Arawen who strode along the length of the block, swinging a bunch of keys. She looked very pale as she approached Luthien’s cell first, fitting the key into the lock and wrenching open the door. Luthien stared at her in astonishment, her breathing ragged, her freedom unfolding before her eyes. After only a few moments of hesitation, she charged forwards and grabbed Arawen’s hand.

“You’re doing as you promised,” she said, breathlessly. Arawen nodded.

“Yes. We must be quick. No delays. Maethoriel will be waiting for us.” She turned towards Beör’s cell and quickly unlocked it. Luthien hastily opened the door, darting inside. She looked at him as he knelt on the floor, pity stirring in her heart. She had not been angry at him, not really – simply angry at their situation. She sank down to her knees and put her arms around him, resting her head against his shoulder without a word. She held him soothingly, as if to tell him that everything would be alright, touching his tangled hair and closing her eyes.

“Time to go,” she whispered.

“Indeed it is,” Arawen interrupted, shortly. “I beg of you, Luthien, there can be no delays.”

Luthien rose her head at that, surprised by Arawen’s use of words. Nodding swiftly, she looked to Beör. “Are you ready?” she asked.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject: Re: Starless Night
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 10:11 am 

In his whirl of thoughts and emotions Beör became vaguely aware of the throbbing pain which his swollen, bloodied hand caused. His eyes remained closed, and for a moment he just let the pain wash over him, almost enjoying how it numbed everything else. His breathing slowly became less laboured and as he listened to Luthien’s quiet sobs, guilt welled up inside him. Guilt gnawed at him upon hearing her distressed words, knowing that she was crying. She had been right and he hated it. He hated how she could read him like an open book, and bluntly confronted him with it.

Beör remained on his knees, his eyes still closed, attempting to calm his mind. He couldn’t lose it. He’d come so far, he couldn’t lose it now..

At the sudden creaking sound of his cell, Beör stiffened. That sound had always made him panic. It was a foreboding sound of pain or despair. That high-pitched sound was often accompanied with a gloating face of orc or men; minions of the Mouth. Yet now there was no such face.. He became aware of Luthien’s presence, who’d immediately darted into his cell. She sat down next to him, holding him tightly, almost as if chasing away all his dark thoughts with her goodness. Beör shivered, not used to such a caring human touch. Yet her embrace felt good, just like when he had hold her hand; it felt calming.

Upon hearing Arawen’s voice, he slowly rose to his feet. He glanced from the brunette’s pale face to the opened door of his cell. Unbelief was written in his face, traces of suspicion visible in his bright blue eyes. His trust in Arawen had been broken so long ago, and in such a way, that perhaps it could never be restored again. Again he looked at the opened door and the Ranger fully realised that this was something he could decide himself; that this was something he could do because he wanted to. He was not dragged or shoved from his cell as had happened so often in the past. He could just leave now. That piece of power and control over his life, that was returned to him gave him strength. It made him forget his painful hand and the weak state he was in.

“Are you ready?” Luthien voice sounded softly, interrupting Beör’s train of thoughts. He glanced at the maiden, before replying: “It’s been fourteen years, five months and six days.. I think I’m ready now..”

He stepped out of the cell, but turned around for a last time in the small passage between the cells. He looked back at the small, confined space that had been his home for years. There was nothing to take with him except bad memories. He glanced at Arawen, remembering as the day of yesterday how she, instead of Luthien, had inhabited the cell opposite of him. So much had changed, so much time had gone by. He nodded at Luthien, as he took her small hand in his bruised hand. “Lets go.”

PostPosted: April 25th, 2011, 4:18 pm 
Maia
Maia

A wide smile spread across Luthien’s features as Beör stepped out of his cell. She was filled with an unbridled joy, to see him take control of his own life, his freedom. It seemed that he was finally ready to accept change and to take a chance. She gave his hand a small squeeze as she looked up at him, her slight frame seeming almost to tremble with excitement. “I can’t believe it,” she suddenly burst out. “I simply can’t believe it.” She might have said more, but when Arawen stepped further forwards towards her with a strained expression, the solemnity of the occasion hit Luthien harder. She needed to keep calm; she couldn’t let her happiness risk anything. This was the day she’d wished for at least a million times whilst sitting in her cramped, cold cell.

Arawen opened her cloak like a wing and drew out the bundle of weapons. Unwrapping it, she threw Luthien a sheathed dagger, which the younger woman caught deftly. “I hope you can use it,” Arawen said quietly, her tone sounding slightly numb. She seemed extremely tense, and was unable to muster a smile or any kind of encouragement in that moment. Arawen was very aware of the danger she was putting both them and herself in. She knew what would happen if they got caught. The Mouth would kill Luthien and Beör without a second’s thought, but her… he’d be less merciful towards her. She still remembered the old tortures he’d inflicted upon her during the early years. He was more than capable of applying them again before allowing her to die.

Luthien ran her hand gently over the dagger, looking at it closely. It obviously hadn’t been made in Mordor. It bore all the marks of having been forged in Gondor, the home of both her and Arawen’s birth. The sword that Arawen carefully handed Beör was obviously of the same making. She watched as Arawen placed the weapon into the ranger’s hands, her expression unreadable.

Standing there by her old inmate, Arawen felt as if she wanted to say something, something important that would somehow make everything right between them. She wanted to mend that old wound, but she found that attempting to do so was almost impossible. The ranger had forgiven her, yes, but he’d not forgotten, and neither had she. She still felt some residual anger towards him, for not understanding, for not wanting to understand the many reasons she’d had to make the choice she had, all those years ago. A long time had passed, and now, in this moment, time was scarce. It was precious, and she couldn’t spare it.

And so she turned, quickly. “Maethoriel will be waiting for us,” she announced, her tone almost cold, but filled with a strange edge to it. Was this the voice of someone on the verge of tears? But surely that couldn’t be, for Arawen had not shed a tear for ten long years. She had entered the cell block with a great sense of purpose, but now she felt as if too much was asked of her. She had to summon her courage. Taking a deep breath, she reached for the hilt of her sword, and drew her blade from it’s sheath, the metal singing through the cold air. Turning again, she faced the two prisoners.

“I’m sure you’re both aware of the dangers we face,” she said, her voice now perfectly steady. She couldn’t lose control, certainly not now. “This won’t be easy. In fact, we could all die.”

“I know,” Luthien replied, without allowing a pause. “I’d rather die fighting for my freedom than dying in my rotten cell.”

Arawen looked at the girl, her eyebrow raising slightly. She felt a little unsettled to hear the girl talking of death so rashly. Had Arawen not chose life, all that time ago, over death? But life had come attached with a price for her. “Indeed,” she said, coolly. “Have you ever seen a Nazgul? Have you ever felt the chill of it’s evil wrap around your mind? Claw at your very thoughts?” She found herself wanting to test Luthien, try her courage, but not out of cruelty of any kind. Luthien’s reaction was as steadfast as always.

“No,” she said, simply. “But if I face such a fiend, then I face it.”

A small smile curled at Arawen’s lips. A bitter smile, a surprised smile. “Very well,” she said. “Let’s go.”

But as she turned again, something in the corridor outside the cell block alerted her from her renewed determination. A half growl, a snarl… a snatch of conversation in that most hated of languages. That of Mordor. Arawen was fluent in the speech of this land, something which she despised herself for. She raised her finger to her lips for silence, so that she could hear what was going on. There seemed to be a small band of orcs marching along past the block, perhaps even heading their way.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 9:02 am 

A strange feeling welled up in Beör as his hand touched the hilt of the sword, Arawen handed him. He was not sure what it was; excitement because of the power he now possessed by having a weapon on him or just the strong want for vengeance, as he was now able to take the law into own hands. He held the sword loosely in his hand and swung the blade with ease, immediately remembering the way of the sword. He had been taught young and taught very well. As a young boy he spent as many moments as he could, when finished with his duties, with the old Rohirric blacksmith, who taught him the lore of the éored. Beör had always felt different; an outcast, and often sought solitude by wandering on the endless green plains or exploring the borders of Rohan. When he finally became of age, he set out to find his true heritage. And though he had not found what he was looking for, his skill with the sword excelled as the years passed and as he fought alongside the Dunedain. He had killed before, and wouldn’t hesitate to kill again.

Yet fourteen years of solitude had changed Beör; he was not in any way the same man he had been. Wittiness had been replaced by sarcasm, his sense of loyalty by distrust. His amiability had changed into hatred, his hope into despair. But not only had he changed mentally, but physically as well. The Ranger’s hair had grown long and wild and his clothes were piteous and torn. His face had become gaunt and his body meagre and weak, from starvation and fear in those long and lonely years.

Anyone, who just glanced at him, would realise that he was in no shape to fight. But Beör still took the blade, and returned Arawen’s awkward glare. She had always ignored his glares or insults, as if denying his existence, but now she looked at him, so intensely, Beör almost felt like she regarded him for what he was: a human being, a very old friend. He wanted her to say something, anything; anything to apologize for what had happened, for what she had done. But no words could make past deeds undone. Their friendship had been cruelly tested and it had not endured. Never would things ever be the same again...

He listened to Arawen’s words in silence. Of course had he realised the risks of their undertaking. Most likely they would all die even before reaching safe territory. But Beör was not afraid, for a long time he didn’t fear death anymore. He had endured so much that he had come to believe there were many things worse than dying. A crooked and bitter grin just appeared on his features as he heard Luthien’s brave, yet naïve respond to Arawen’s provocation and added in a low voice: “Things cannot get any worse as they are now. So let us not linger.”

Suddenly all were quiet, as marching footsteps and snarling voices neared their cell block, undoubtedly belonging to a troop of orcs. Beör took two swift paces forward, so that he stood in the dark corner, near the entrance of the cell block. Anyone who entered the block, would never be able to spot him, before having set a few steps in the confined space and looked back. In that time, anyone who would have hid in the dark corner could have struck; quickly and deadly. Beör, soundlessly gestured to Arawen to take the opposite corner and Luthien to join him. Whatever happened, no one, that entered the cell block would live to tell the tale of their escape, that Beör promised himself, as he grimly prepared himself for what was to come..

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 1:56 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

It was on the cusp of evening and midday - right before the sun grew low in the sky and before many orcs and unseemly creatures took to the world above with freedom. She gazed out over the barren landscape, covered with black ash and rock, the large city of the Nazgul jutting up into the sky like teeth or claws trying to rip the stars from above. She frowned and looked away towards where a very small bit of green could be observed from her vantage point atop the hill. This place, it had got into her bones, she felt that if anyone spilt her blood it would be the color of the orc's. She grinned - someone might have found it sad, or pitiful, but she had survived Mordor. She was one of the few who had lefter and returned and lived. She had brought down many of its key players - its vital organs, even - from the inside and none had been the wiser.

Her mind quickly flipped from her own deeds and towards those that needed doing - plenty enough time for self congratulating later. The children were not here yet. She snarled a curse, tearing open a chapped lip in the process, causing blood to trickle down her chin. The brunette had been met with trouble, no doubt. Maethoriel looked towards the entrance - momentarily at a loss as to what to do. No, no helping them escape from inside. It would raise to much noise. Arawen was on her own in there. They were clever enough, but they were also late. Should have hurried.

Maethoriel, for all her oddities and distaste for most civil laws, clutched to the idea of punctuality. This was mostly because the plans she made were so detailed that mere minutes could be detrimental to their outcome. At this time their success hinged on whether Arawen could get the prisoners out while the guards changed. There was a window where they met at the tower and, engrossed in gossip no doubt, noticed nothing for a good twenty minutes.

The woman turned on her heel to survey her supplies - most of which were old armor and helmets to provide proper disguises. The rest sat on the back of two horses, one painted the other colored like salt and pepper - the last was certainly a war horse although Maethoriel herself preferred to fight on foot. They were both her own - won of a farmer in a bet. They mirrored their lady's distaste, probably more from the smell of blood than anything else, and tramped unhappily with snorts and whinnies to underline their unhappiness.

"Hush, the two of you," she scolded, but place a hand on each of their withers. "They'll be around soon."

She could see it all now. Blood, screams - yes, Arawen needed to fight with these two before they got to her. It would place her higher in their esteem, bring them closer - it would make them less likely to to put up fights on the way too.

"Thank the Valar," she muttered for the second time in over three decades.

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

PostPosted: May 21st, 2011, 8:34 am 
Maia
Maia

(Hope this post is okay, guys! =D I didn't want to make the escape too easy, so they haven't got to Maethoriel just yet. Does anyone think there should be more drama and difficulty coming up? =) Like for instance, a confrontation with the Mouth? ^_^)

Arawen waited quietly in her corner, sparing Beör and Luthien a glance. They were obviously both ready to fight. She only hoped that the scuffle wouldn’t cause too much noise; Arawen had been taught to make silent kills, but the girl Luthien was untrained and full of resentment. And as for Beör – he hadn’t fought in years. He was weakened. Arawen had her doubts about them both, but a part of her clung to a small hope that they would not endanger the escape.

The footsteps were growing closer, and the orcish conversation was becoming clearer. Arawen’s expression was set with determination. As the first orc set foot on the threshold, she reached out and dragged him into her small corner, slicing her sword through his throat in one fluid movement. She did not flinch back from the gargle of black blood. As the corpse fell to the floor with a thump, there was an outburst of shouts and squawks from amongst the orc band. Signaling to Beör and Luthien, Arawen went forward and launched herself into the thick of the group.

Staring at Arawen with wide eyes, Luthien was not slow to follow. She’d never handled a blade before, but her unquenchable anger made her strong. With surprising agility she leapt up onto the back of an orc, gripping it’s shoulders and causing a great deal of anger as it tried to spin round to kill her. But she was quick to act, wielding her dagger and stabbing it through his throat. It was not a dignified kill, but then, there was very little that was dignified about battle. The body toppled to the ground and she withdrew the dagger, scrambling to her feet. She was not ready when another orc rounded on her, wielding a heavily spiked mace. Her skin paled a little, but before she could summon her courage back to her, a blade sliced through the orc’s stomach from behind, and the falling corpse revealed Arawen, who instantly grabbed Luthien by the arm and pulled her to her side. “Stay by me,” she commanded, allowing no arguments.

~~~

The orc band had been finished, and they could waste no time in reaching Maethoriel. Arawen lead the way along the dark corridor, running instead of walking. Her rapid footsteps surprisingly made very little noise, and she tugged Luthien along behind her, glancing backwards once to make sure that Beör was keeping up. Arawen’s cheeks were flushed pink and her eyes were brimming with anxiety, her hood falling down to reveal her mass of braided dark hair. “Keep up.” She gave Luthien’s wrist a tiny tug. Luthien was not dealing so well with matching Arawen’s speed, and her breathing was slightly ragged.

“I’m… trying!” she gasped. “How long till we reach the outside?”

“Try not to speak,” Arawen advised, not wanting a conversation to alert any unfriendly presence. They rounded a corner, which opened up to a sudden, steep flight of stairs leading downwards. Arawen hurried down them without pausing as Luthien stumbled along after her, alarmed by the steepness. Another, smaller, thinner corridor followed after the stairs, and a thick, ugly metal door impeded them. Arawen opened it hurriedly, leading the way through a large, empty room filled with pots and weapons. It was one of the uruks’ haunts, where groups of them would gather, eat their unpalatable food and start fights with each other. They’d obviously vacated for now, but it wouldn’t be long before they came back.

They reached the other side in no time, and Arawen hurried the prisoners through another corridor, which looked as if it had been carved from rock – very different from the grand, sweeping hallways of the Mouth’s household. It was very dark, and Arawen could hardly see anything as they crept along, the narrowness of the cave-like passageway not allowing them to run. Luthien took the opportunity to tug at Arawen’s arm.

“Arawen? Are we safe yet?” she whispered. Arawen clenched her jaw with impatience, not answering for a moment.

“Who knows,” she replied, eventually. “Please, just keep quiet and hope for the best.”

Arawen hadn’t spoken so much as a word to Beör yet. All the while they were fighting, walking, running, she felt as if he might be silently judging her. She hated the thought that there was perhaps nothing she could do to prove that she was truly sorry for everything that she’d done – and also, that she might never persuade him that it had not been her fault. It was far better to keep silent. But they would need to speak sometime, and in that respect she was grateful for Luthien; the girl seemed to have no problems with forgiveness.

The passageway suddenly grew wider, and Arawen quickened her pace. “Not long now,” she hissed. “Maethoriel will be waiting for us outside on a hill, not far away.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: June 27th, 2011, 12:30 pm 

The touch of the hilt of the sword felt so familiar; the swing of the sword, a quick blow in the Orc’s side, was performed automatically. It was flawless and lethal. Beör quickly retrieved his sword from the orc’s body, ready to take up another. In that moment the Ranger was not distracted by anything else and did not glance at either Luthien or Arawen. There was only his sword and that of the orc and nothing else. It only seemed yesterday since he had fought, that they had been surrounded by orcs on that pale morning.
The fight had already been lost before it had even started. One of their comrades had fallen. Not willing to leave his friend behind to be mutilated or dishonoured, he had not given up and remained fighting. It was a horrible, agonising pain in his back that alarmed him that something was very wrong. His back had not been covered anymore.. Before his head touched the ground and he sank in a blissful oblivion, he watched how three Rangers fled into the shady maze of Emyn Muil. With that image in front of his eyes Beör now fought. His anger fuelling his strength, perseverance and his thirst for revenge.

In what only seemed to take a few moments, the sound of battling had died down, along with the band of Orcs that had entered the cell block. Still in a daze, Beör glared at the blade his sword, which was smeared with black blood and slowly he looked around him. Arawen had already disappeared in the torch lit corridor and as he looked up he was just in time to see Luthien follow. The Ranger swore under his breath, sheathed his sword, and with only one glance at the empty cells, he quickly followed the women.

Beör would not be able to recall the corridors they had passed through and the stairways which they hurried down. He soon felt lost in the maze of passages, which doubtlessly was designed to minimize the chances on escape. Arawen’s pace was relentless and although Beör had seemed tireless during the fight, he now felt exhausted. A stinging pain crept up his back, which was hard to ignore. But he kept running and running. Only when he started to wonder what the size was of the dark place they had dwelled in for so long, which he had never seen as he was brought in unconscious, Arawen seemed to slow down. Beör stopped for a moment, doubled over, gasping for air. He refrained himself from making a comment about her being too fast. Speed and stealth was their only weapon now..

“Not long now,” Arawen hissed as she picked up speed again. “Maethoriel will be waiting for us outside on a hill, not far away.”

“Great..” Beör groaned audibly. “I’m glad that we’ve put our lives in the hands of a mad woman.. Haven’t we defied fate enough?”

PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 4:14 pm 

[So, I just started writing on an opening post for Rhys. I just kept on writing and this is the result. Most of it sprang from my own imagination and I also used this map. If you don't like some aspects of what I wrote, or if you had something else in mind, please tell me and perhaps I could change it. ;)
The person Rhys bumps into could be any of your chars. :) ]

Rocks and dust, as far as the eye could reach. A dry, barren wasteland, endless and deserted stretched out to the north and west. Ahead lay the Maegond Spur, a group of lower mountains of black volcanic rocks, that was one arm of a mountain range that bordered the southern side of the Plain of Gorgoroth. Only one large road went past the mountain’s feet, straight north, towards the fiery mountain and the Black Tower and it was usually trod by Orcs or Easterlings. The sun had almost disappeared behind the Mountains of Shadow and the air became somewhat less hot and dusty.

A raw command was barked harshly in a foreign language and the young man quickly turned his eyes off the setting sun and he looked towards the city of Thaurband, which lay on the banks of the sea of Nurnen. High domed buildings and pinnacles of sandstone contrasted against the bright blue sky. The many large and luxurious manors in the city were inhabited by the family of the Lord of one of the Great Houses of Nurn; the Nadilith. Their fortune was unimaginable and their power, granted by the Dark Lord, extensive. Sauron and his most loyal minions lavished the Lords of Nurn with gold, silver, gemstones and other trinkets in return for food and resources for the Dark Lord’s army. And the Lords of Nurn most eagerly complied to the wishes and commands from Mordor, greedy for more wealth, land and power. Large fields of wheat and corn stretched out outside the well-guarded city walls and were mostly irrigated by the waters from the Sea of Nurn. Thousands of slaves toiled day after day in the burning sun forced to support the armies that were to destroy the world they once knew.

Like a large human chain the long row of slaves was herded towards the city. Rhys blinked to protect his eyes from the emerging clouds of dust caused by the movement of the human convoy, and kept his head low, his dark eyes fixed on the ground, as that was the only way not to stand out. He had to remained inconspicuous for now.. Sweat trickled down his temple over his bearded chin; even though the sun had almost set, the heat was still overwhelming and Rhys knew that in the sheltered city the heat would be almost unbearable.

The large city gate was closed when the last slave was rushed into Thaurband. Slowly they approached the slave barracks which were scattered over the very outskirts of the city. There they would spend the evening and night, most often quarrelling, resting and sleeping in the relative coolness of the sandstone building. Rhys looked up to the high city walls, which were day and night guarded by the Black Watch, the brutal enforcers of law and order in Nurn. Their reputation of being relentless, cruel and fanatically loyal to the House of Nadilith and Mordor gained them the respect of the citizens of Nurn, yet all those who were forced to serve feared them. Any attempt to escape was cruelly punished if caught.. if..
In his four-and-somewhat years in Thaurband, Rhys had planned several escape attempts, but only executed one, which had failed miserably. He’d been young, reckless and unprepared; he’d just arrived in the world of sand and dust in Nurn and resistant to bending to anyone’s will. The aftermath of the attempt had left a permanent mark on him and for a year or so he’d tried his hardest to be invisible. But his longing for freedom had slowly overcome his fear of the consequences and contrary to before he was now young and reckless but also prepared.. There were small gaps between the switches of day and night watches shortly before dawn when they were set to work in the fields. If he could slip away, perhaps by knocking down an overseeer with a rock. If he could reach the other side of the city in time. If he could loose his pursuers by swimming the Nurnen Sea and if he could get rid of those blasted rings around his ankles which indicated his 'status' then perhaps he could succeed.. If.. if.. if.

Abruptly Rhys' train of thougts was disturbed as he bumped into the person in fron of him with a [i]thud[i/]. A waiting line had formed as to enter the barracks. "I'm sorry," he apologised and his characteristic grin had appeared on his face. Eventhough he seemed so far from civilization, it could do no harm to remain civil himself. "This damned heat seemed to have paralysed my senses.."

PostPosted: August 11th, 2011, 5:46 pm 
Maia
Maia

(Right then, here's my Nurn post and my post with Luthien and Arawen! :-D I'm sorry if combined they're rather long :lol: I hope you guys enjoy it :happy: )

A strange hybrid between a carriage, a chariot and a litter rattled along the dusty lane, going down the length of the slave chain gang. It was drawn by two dark brown horses, and within the ornate confines sat a young woman swathed in black silk robes, her tumbling golden hair bound up and pinned with gems. She sat back against a pile of cushions, seeming almost to shiver as her mode of transport ground to a halt. The fierce-looking man driving the carriage leapt down from his high seat, motioning to the horses with a raised hand to stay still as they fussed and wildly nodded their heads. The man, who was clad all in uniform black, approached the girl sitting in her splendor, and offered her his hand. She smiled faintly at him.

“Do not take long,” the man warned her, carefully using the common speech, well aware that this girl had not a single word of the people of Nurn’s native tongue. “It is not safe in these parts, filled with wretched vermin.” He glared at the line of slaves as they slowly processed towards the slave barracks. “Find this person quickly. Why my master thought to send you…” he shook his head as he helped her down the step, “…it is alarming.”

Morrigan slipped her hand from his, trying not to let him see that she shook. She turned her fair head towards the slave barracks. The time she’d spent here still felt like a bad dream; if it hadn’t been for Urúvion, she would be one of the poor souls in chains. She would never forget the day he found her, and told her that he would take her away from the horrible place. Feeling grateful to him felt like a betrayal to her own people, but she couldn’t help it. He had saved her life.

She did not begrudge him this one errand he had sent her on, to seek out, find and bring him one particular slave, who, according to Urúvion, was guilty of the most abominable crime. A brick had been thrown through one of the windows of his grand mansion home one night, and although there was no way on earth of telling who had committed the deed, he had decided that the only possible candidate was a young man named Rhys. The lad had caused trouble before – trying to bring about an escape for one. Urúvion could have sent the Black Watch to collect Rhys and punish him, but he believed it would be more amusing if he was lulled into a false sense of security by the soft voice and shy smile of Morrigan, his favourite.

Morrigan walked along the line, glancing here and there at the slaves. They stared back at her, taking in her rich attire, the beautifully wrought silver belt clasped about her slim waist, the silver head band fixed about her brow. Morrigan flinched away from their gaze, feeling guilty. She peered around for Rhys; she knew him by sight, since they had both been brought to Nurn around the same time four years ago.

After a few minutes of walking, she caught sight of him, and she stopped. He was smilingly making a remark to one of the people behind him. Hesitantly, Morrigan raised her hand, and the carriage driver strode up behind her. “That’s him,” she stipulated, quietly. The man nodded and went forward without a word. He seized Rhys’ wrists and unchained him from the gang, then proceeding to shove him forwards.

“Lady wants to speak to you,” he declared, gruffly. Morrigan gave a nervous smile and approached the young man.

“Hello,” she began, unsure of how to tell him that he was to be brought before Urúvion. She hoped enormously that her master wouldn’t hurt the man. He might just want to speak with him, surely? That was the problem with Urúvion; his moods changed so fast, and Morrigan found it difficult to keep up with them. That was why at all times she tried her best to be agreeable to him. “Your presence is required at the home of my master. He says… he says that you must come with me. Please try not to worry.” She tried to smile at him. “It’s this way…” she gestured, “…you can sit with me in the carriage.”

“Yes. This way.” Before Morrigan could stop him, the black-clad man went forward and roughly handled Rhys into the carriage. She could hear him making further insulting remarks, before looking over his shoulder and calling to her, “come. You must go now.”

Morrigan took a deep breath, and followed him, clasping her hands together tightly. She felt as if she was part of a world that was far too big and complicated for her; but she had no choice other than to participate. It was this or death.

~~~

Urúvion idly looked up as the large, elaborately carved doors of the great hall were flung open. At the far end of the hall, he was arranged elegantly on an array of scattered silk cushions that covered the dais. He was surrounded by his slaves, from simple attendants to musicians, jesters, courtesans… Urúvion liked to believe that he held a merry court here at home, and for the most part he treated those he kept around him cordially – but he had a terrible temper which could unleash itself at the most unexpected of times. He was volatile, and dangerous; it was therefore a very good idea to keep on the right side of him.

He watched Morrigan step forward past the threshold and drop a curtsy to him, head bowed. As she rose he inclined his head, raising the goblet of wine he held with a flourish. “And so you return!” he announced, his voice extending towards her despite the long distance. “Pray, come forward and sit with me. You’ve done your duty well, I see.” He smirked as he spotted Rhys, who was led into the hall by his chains. Gesturing with his other hand, he shooed away the various women who were sitting with him, eating grapes and drinking wine. They all scattered to stand back, making way for the favourite.

Morrigan approached the dais, and Urúvion smiled warmly at her. She sat down next to him on the cushions, and he draped an arm around her. At his side, she began to feel a little better; he always treated her so kindly. But it didn’t stop the guilt as she looked at Rhys, knowing that in his eyes she was a traitor of the highest order. She was from Rohan originally, but now she was far from home, and the only person who could keep her safe was one of the most dangerous men in Nurn.

~~~

Arawen lead the way along the passageway, her expression tightening when she heard Beör’s remark concerning Maethoriel. It was true that Arawen also felt uncomfortable about having to place so much trust in the woman; she still feared trickery and betrayal, but she had no choice. This was the only way that they could be free. And so Arawen made no reply, showing no sign of her inward emotion. She refused to let the others know just how nervous and even frightened she was about all of this. For the plan to succeed, she had to keep a level head.

The rock passageway was beginning to widen now. Luthien went to Arawen’s side, but Arawen held her back with one arm, and shook her head. The pathway had quite suddenly opened up onto a long flight of crudely carved stairs. Luthien’s eyes widened as she looked down, and she gave a slightly shaky laugh. “We might’ve had quite a fall,” she said, her quiet voice sounding unusually loud in the otherwise empty passageway. Arawen cringed, as if expecting hoards of rampaging orcs to come charging up behind them. Luthien attempted a smile at her, but Arawen did not look at her. Perhaps she couldn’t see her in the dark, but it was more likely that Arawen was too anxious to return any form of pleasantry, however well intended.

Arawen picked her way down the steep stairs; even she struggled slightly to maintain her balance. Luthien cautiously offered Arawen her hand, in case she needed help, but the dark-haired woman shook her head impatiently. Instead, Luthien hung back at Beör’s side, feeling slighted but unwilling to feel too irritated. The steps were treacherous, too precipitous to dare alone, and so she gently looped her arm through the ranger’s so that they could take the stairs together.

She leaned towards him momentarily, and whispered in his ear, whilst keeping her gaze directed straight ahead, wanting to keep a firm eye on the stairs. “Can you believe this is happening?” A smile hovered on her lips. She didn’t want to ruin everything by looking forward to being free too soon; she was well aware that they had a lot of danger ahead of them, but in this moment she felt truly happy. Her young, sweet features danced with hope. Everything seemed possible.

~~~

Arawen could begin the smell the scent of the air outside; it smelt of ash, of Mordor. She flipped the hood of her blue cloak over her head, and clenched her fists as she walked ahead of the others. They had very slowly climbed down the stairs, and made their way through another confusing series of passageways. Arawen knew that very soon, they would be out in the open, upon a cliff side where Maethoriel would be waiting for them. Her breathing felt short as a harsh breeze suddenly hit her face, sweeping a bunch of braided dark hair out of her hood.

Luthien appeared at her side. “We’re there, aren’t we?” she said. Arawen glanced sideways at her. The question left no room for ignoring Luthien, however much her mixed emotions compelled her to. Arawen felt a panging pain inside that she couldn’t quite explain. The first stage of their intended escape was beginning. She nodded shortly.

“Yes. We are.”

The cave-like passage was opening up, revealing a harsh landscape of sharp rocks. The sky was grey outside, as depressing and grim as could be expected from Mordor. “Follow me,” Arawen said, firmly. “Closely. Keep your guard.” Her hand dropped to her belt, onto her sword-hilt. Luthien nodded, unsheathing her dagger, before looking around for Beör. Before she could smile at him, Arawen hissed at her, “look ahead of you!”

Arawen felt immensely under pressure. Right now, she resented Maethoriel for naming her as the ringleader of their escapade. So much weighed upon her shoulders. But more than that, she felt uncomfortable around the prisoners; Luthien’s hope made her feel embittered and cynical, and as for Beör… his presence pained her more than anything. The memories of the friendship they’d once shared, so long ago now, were continually present in her mind, and it hurt.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: August 24th, 2011, 6:41 pm 

[I absolutely loved your post Goldy! I'm really excited about your new charrie! And I'm already working on my new post! Yay! It's so good to be back! :-D ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 25  Next