Elthalion -- played by Pandora

Dwarves:
Barildum -- played by Aramel Elyanwe
Kilain -- played by Aramel Elyanwe

Men:
Harafan -- played by Aramel Elyanwe
Goldleaf -- played by ~Goldleaf~
Eradan -- played by Pandora

________________________________________________________________________________________

In Mirkwood, spring was at its peak. In King Thranduil’s court, the flora and fauna were thriving and the Elves were rejoicing. A celebration was in order, and now a festival was being held in the clearing of the forest.

The Elf King sat at a lengthy wooden table piled with all sorts of Elvish delights. There were various meats and cakes of all colors and designs; plenty to go around thrice over. But the food - as delicious and well-prepared as it was - was the farthest thing from Thranduil’s mind. He was caught up in watching the festivities: dancing, singing, storytelling, drinking, and all forms of merrymaking that were taking place. Elves of all realms had been invited, and so inhabitants of Rivendell and Lothlorien were present as well.

He watched, a smile upon his ageless face, as his son, Legolas, announced the start of the archery competition. There were to be several rounds - each increasingly more challenging - until one finalist remained. That Elf, male or female, would earn a special place in Thranduil’s Royal Guard - one of the very highest honors that could be bestowed.

From the crowd, potential competitors came forth. One of them was Aramel Elyanwe of Imladris, and behind her, her elder brother Talathion with words of encouragement.

“You will do well, gwathel. I am sure of it.” He braced a hand upon her shoulder and offered a smile.

“I can only hope,” she replied, voice barely above a whisper. Under the scrutiny of the King and his son, it was enough to make the best archer falter. And Aramel was far from the best, yet nowhere near the worst. She took deep breaths, trying to calm her nerves while holding her bow tightly and waiting for the event to begin.

+++++++++++

Not too far away, a group of warriors was under attack. A goblin ambush had caught them off guard and they were quickly finding themselves outnumbered. Harafan of Gondor gritted his teeth and blocked an attack with his thick shield, but could not prevent the strike that came from behind and fell to the ground. He turned and looked up, watching as the goblin that knocked him down was killed by one of the party’s Dwarves. Barildum helped Harafan to his feet, despite the fact that the Gondorian was much taller than he.

“Thank you, my friend,” Harafan bowed his helmeted head out of respect.

“Do not thank me yet,” grumbled the Dwarf, raising his axe as the goblins increased their attack.

+++++++++++

[[Translation - gwathel = sister. And any Elves will be in Mirkwood at the festival, while the other characters will be on the border of Mirkwood, being attacked. Have fun guys. ;) ]]

Last edited by Aramel Elyanwe on June 12th, 2011, 10:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject: Re: In The Gathering Dark [PRIVATE RP]
PostPosted: June 9th, 2011, 9:43 am 
Maia
Maia

Lainathiel was amongst those who stepped forward to participate in the archery contest. She stood nearby Aramel, a wry smile curling at her lips as she observed the brunette elf, clearly perceiving her nerves. Lainathiel had also traveled from Imladris just to attend this special event, but the importance of the contest did not seem to weigh so heavily with her. It was as if she viewed it as a light distraction, a pleasant way to pass the time; but it just so happened that if she were to win, she would be awarded a place in the king’s Royal Guard. Of course, she would be pleased indeed if granted such an honor, but she would be equally as happy not to win, and to go home with the knowledge that she’d had an enjoyable time.

She ran her long, slender fingers over the intricate carvings on her bow, watching as one of the king’s heralds announced the start of the contest, and named the competitors one by one. With each name, a cheer went up from the crowd. Lainathiel rolled her eyes cheerfully when she was mentioned by name and the cheers were accompanied by murmurs of interest. She was a well-known figure in most areas, being one of Lord Elrond Halfelven’s oldest and most trusted friends; not to mention that her archery skills had almost entered into folklore. Lainathiel suspected she wasn’t quite as skilled as they all claimed her to be, but even that was quite exceptional.

Standing amongst the competitors, she somewhat resembled a dark shadow, since she was attired in a blue so dark it was almost black. Her hair was raven, and intricately plaited back from her slender features, the long braids hanging down her back. A thin red scar marked her cheek from a long ago accident, and she wore no jewelry. But despite her slightly imposing appearance, there could be no doubting that she was by nature a friendly-hearted person.

She stepped forward towards Aramel, giving the other elf of Imladris a smile. “Good luck today,” she remarked, as the first competitor stepped forward. “I wouldn’t be nervous, if I were you. Think of it in this light: whether you come third, second or first you’ll still get to attend a magnificent banquet afterwards.”

~~~

Goldleaf swung her thick Gondorian broadsword towards the approaching goblin, parrying it’s blow before shoving her knee upwards into it’s stomach, winding the creature. As it collapsed to the ground, she quickly struck it’s foul head from it’s body with one swift, sure slicing movement. She did not flinch back from the black blood that spattered onto her attire, which was quite worse for wear anyway. Raising her head, she signaled to Harafan, calling over the clash of swords. “We’re outnumbered – how long do you think we can hold them off?” She impaled a goblin through the stomach, before wrenching her blade out of the creature. Their party was altogether too small, and their hope for survival was looking rather grim.

Despite being a skilled and quick-thinking warrior, even Goldleaf was finding it difficult to fight off so many enemies at a time; the goblins’ numbers seemed to increase by the minute. She received a sharp knock to the head when she was caught between two goblins, unable to parry both their attacks, and one of them hooked their ankle round hers, tripping her to the ground. Flat on her back, cursing at the pain on the back of her head, she kicked the first goblin in the shins, before dragging herself up and stabbing it in the leg.

Her blonde hair was now stained with her own blood, but she fought on steadfastly. They badly needed reinforcements. The court of King Thranduil was supposed to be nearby; with any luck, the royal guard might soon come to their rescue. Or maybe they would not. All they could do now was hope not to die.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject: Re: In The Gathering Dark [PRIVATE RP]
PostPosted: June 12th, 2011, 12:29 pm 
Lady of Gondolin
Lady of Gondolin

[Saeros/Elf...Eradan/Man...Elthalion/Half-Elf...Ryninial/Elf]

After announcing the start of the archery competition, Legolas watched as people began to step forward, bows in hand. It made his lips quirk in a small smirk, a sense of pride in his eyes as he moved to stand next to his father, placing his hand on the King's shoulder. "We have a strong group this year, Ada. I do think we shall have a fair competition."

=====

Ryninial watched as Aramel stepped up for the competition and couldn't help but smile, watching her friend's eyes shift from nerves to confidence. "You'll do great, mellon." She said with a grin. Ryninial was fair with a bow and arrow, but her real talents lie in herbs and the power of healing. She had recently returned from Imladris and was glad to be home and amongst her friends. She turned towards Elthalion and tilted her head.

"Why are you not entering, I've seen you with a bow and you are a force to be reckoned with."

Elthalion smiles and leans back against the tree he is resting against. He lifts his hand which is currently wrapped in bandages. "I'm still healing." She reaches out and takes his hand, bringing it up to look at it and frowning.

"You should have come to me, I could have fixed this quickly." She drops his hand when Legolas moves forward again to give the rules of the competition.

=====

Eradan felt a sudden pain shooting through his leg and he looks down to see a gash running from his knee down to his calf. He stumbles and is caught around the chest by Saeros. "We are outnumbered. We have to get to Mirkwood."

The waves that C R A S H E D upon
The R O C K S that you were trying to step along
And in my head I heard them play a S O N G