Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Another War
PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 1:42 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Caran tore her eyes from the rearguard and turned her attention to Lona. She watched her converse with the Captain quizzically. Perhaps the Captain had taken the theory they had given him seriously. Her hands continued to sharpen her weapon almost of their own accord, as if she had grown used to the motion. Well she had done it often enough.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 1:49 pm 
Istari
Istari

She turned and watched the soldiers as they talked, worked, and joked around. She was a woman in a man's world. She liked it that way, she hated the petty quarrels and meaningless conversations of women. A light breeze tossed her hair out. She looked up at the sky as the wind picked up. They could look forward to a nasty storm tonight. She stopped one of the rearguardsman "Tell everyone to secure their tents. If they have no tent, send them to me. I have extras inside my tent." she knew the younger soldiers had come unprepared.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 1:58 pm 
Maia
Maia

He followed her gaze, turning to face her on his haunches "We slew a warg-rider not long after you left. He must have tracked us through the night. We followed his trail- He was alone," he brushed his dirty hands on his thighs and stood up:"I made sure of it. The men enjoy the thought of at least another day or two before a search-party comes our way." He watched the blond-haired woman exit her tent and took in her disheveled appearance "Tell me, how do you and your companion come to join us on his trek? And why do you not share a tent for safety?"
He paused as the blond approached one of the day's rearguard.

. O r b i s N o n S u f f i c i t .

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 2:21 pm 
Istari
Istari

She quickly braided her hair and let the braid hang down her back. Suddenly the captain called to her "Lona!" she looked up and quickly ran to the hill where he was looking. He pointed. "The orcs have doubled back, look." she saw smoke from a fire in the distance. "They doubled...what?" this really made no sense now. It didn't before, but even less so now. The captain remained there, watching. She knew he wanted her to chart it. She walked to Caran. "The orcs doubled back. They are headed back east, for now." she shook her head, amazed at the random turn of events. "They are not retreating, that much is clear."

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 2:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

"That is mighty work. Work deserving of a relaxing drink." She added after a second thought as she continued to watch Lona. She smirked at the rearguards comment. "You ask that as though we were mere, defenceless women...Trust me I can fend for myself as I am sure Lona can too." Setting her sword inside her tent she stood up and held her hand out the rearguardsman. "I am Caran Marvyre ranger and soldier in these here parts...And you are?" She tilted her head, raising her brow quizzically.

Lona quickly turned her attention to Lona. "No they are not retreating. I think it is a ploy for us to follow them...Distract our attention perhaps..." She watched the smoke ascending into the sky. "They are more intelligent than I remembered..." she murmured.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 2:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

"No. These are mere orcs, they are not of the Uruk-Hai breed. I think they are looking for something. They would not intend to distract us,I can tell from their behavior." she noted. She glanced to the man. "I'll let you two get back to your conversation. I apologize for the interruption." she nodded her head at the two before going up on the hill again, this time alone, to watch the orcs. She squatted, her sharp eyes taking in everything.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:01 pm 
Maia
Maia

"My name is Feredir. I come from the lost lands north of Ettenmoor- Like my kin." he said, watching the one called Lona leave. He felt he should have spoken up before she left: "But I am not sure if orcs could plan so intricately. I have always found them lacking true foresight. I have been harbouring the suspicion they may be led by someone else- Somebody with enough knowledge of our ways and these lands to be able to manipulate us. The elves in Rivendale have suspected it for sometime. The attacks are not random enough to be purely raids."
He sniffed the cooling air and fished in his pocket for his pipe,"This Lona- Is she alright? She seems troubled. I hope I am not keeping you from her- Perhaps I should go. I can offer my services to our captain."
The skies rumbled ominously and he glanced up with a wry smile "It is not as if I would have to pack much."

Last edited by Rhavaniel Falathiel on August 17th, 2011, 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

"I am afraid I haven't been able to guage her. She tends to keep herself to herself." Her eyes followed Lona. "I do worry for her..." she muttered quietly. "I wonder who is leading these orcs. Interesting you should say they know our ways. You don't reckon someone from us has betrayed us?" Her eyes widened at her own words.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:10 pm 
Istari
Istari

She went and began to help the men secure their tents for the coming storm. It soon turned dark. the wind started to blow just as she was helping the last of the men secure his tent, then she cursed and ran to her own to secure it. The rest of the men had gone onto their tents, seeking refuge from the storm. The rain came down over her in torrents, and he wind tore her tent from her hands time after time. She gritted her teeth as she got one of the four sides secured, then moved to another, struggling. Her hair was plastered down, and she was soaked.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:19 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Caran shivered as she looked up at the darkening sky. "Oh dear..." She glanced at her own tent, ensuring it was secure. The men busied themselves around her, readying their own tents. Caran, upon noticing that Lona was struggling, dashed over to give her a hand, uttering a bried "excuse me," over her shoulder at Feredir. While Lona secured one side, Caran secured another.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:26 pm 
Istari
Istari

"Thank you!" Lona called over the storm. Her arms strained. The wind was so darn strong! She got her side secure then ran to the other side, grabbing the ropes and canvases. Soon she had that one done. she touched Caran's shoulder. "Thank you, now I wouldn't wish you to catch a cold! I am alright now." she offered a small smile and motioned Caran to go back to her own tent "Unless you wish to remain in mine, although inwould not leave your things in your tent unattended."

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:43 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Caran nodded, struggling to hear Lona's voice over the wind. Caran glanced over her shoulder in time to see the storm tugging out her knots. One side of her tent was flying like a flag in the wind. "Oh!" she shouted running over to her own tent. Her clothes were soaked through to the bone. Her hair stuck to her face, immediately irritating her. She grabbed at the rope and began to haul her tent back down to the ground.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:49 pm 
Istari
Istari

Lona ran over and helped her. Once they had done that she patted her on the shoulder "Stay in your tent!" she sprinted back over to hers and quickly went inside, shivering. She grabbed a blanket and wrapped up in it.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:54 pm 
Maia
Maia

Feredir watched the women dazed, then soaked as rain hit the camp. His horse shied loudly and his fire went out in a second. What was left of his tent was whisked into the sky with various pots, cloaks and hats that had not been held secure.
Swearing, he placed a foot on his belongings and made a grab for the horse's bridle, but the creature rose up on its hind legs kicking. He stumbled back a step to avoid being hit and tried to remember the elvish words to calm the creature. As it charged him half-heartedly he bent down to shove what he could into the discarded saddle-bag. Feredir swung it over his shoulder and backed away from his crazed horse, aiming for the two women's tents. He figured the men would have to talk- There was no way he was going to risk his life with a homicidal horse and such hostile weather. He could see the dark shadow bucking in the rain and cursed the sly looking man he had bought the beast from.
"Ladies," he called, blinded by the rain and his matted hair "I would be most grateful for a short respite from this hell!," he spluttered as the wind blew what felt like a river in his direction.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 3:58 pm 
Istari
Istari

"come in!" Lona called through her tent flap, and opened it for him. She was beginning to dry off, thankfully. Her blue eyes saw where he was and she beckoned for him. She had a cozy fire going inside the well secured tent, and she was heating water over it.

PostPosted: August 17th, 2011, 4:00 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Caran patted Lona on the back. "Thank you!" she said over the storm. "See you in the morning...Hopefully!" she winked at Lona and glanced over at Feredir. "Inside quickly!" She ducked into her tent, holding the flap over for him. Her body trembled and shivered with the cold.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 605 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 38  Next