Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Over hill, over dale....The Journey of the Three
PostPosted: December 6th, 2017, 11:53 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The middle aged man leading the riders nodded to Gaelrin’s reply and urged his horse onwards. “To Dunharrow, then!”

The riders hurried off, horses at a brisk pace.

It would be quite some time before they arrived, but they quickly began passing up the slower units, supply wagons, and civilians.

As they traveled Kano road close to Gaelrin. She was certainly a skilled rider. He wished he could speak to her, ask her how she was feeling and what she was thinking, but their pace left no opportunity for discussion. Finally, as they slowed to a walk to give the horses a break, Kano looked to her. “How are you?” His broad question was perhaps not what he intended to ask, but it expressed his concerns.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 4:11 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda felt tears well up in her eyes as the wagon lurched forward down the road, and when the rain pattered down on the cover of the wagon, she felt a tear slide down on her cheek. She nearly went to wipe the tear away, but saw Ralian holding out a kerchief so she took it and wiped the now free flowing tears away.
"Aye." She said as she placed her hand gracefully ontop of Ralian's.
"That is my only wish right now."
Thinking of her husband going off to war only intensified the feeling of impending doom, but she shut her eyes and shook her head; No. He would be alright. He would make it through and find his way back to her.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaelrin squeezed the reigns and urged Sandy down the road; as they approached the slower riders, she led Sandy around them, then leaned forward and let the wind and rain splash on her face to wake her up.
After some time, she pulled up on the reigns until Sandy slowed down, then looked up suddenly at Kano's question.
She paused at his question, for she didn't know how she felt; yes, she felt sad and frightened, but...who wouldn't? She opened her mouth to answer him falsely, but the look in his eyes told her not to lie to him. He cared about her, she could see that much.
He deserved to know the truth.
"I feel....frightened. Sad and angry. But...I have to do this. I have to protect my brother from those monsters who...." tears began to well up in her eyes, but she blinked them away. "Well, I don't need to say what happened again. I feel so guilty though. What happens if I don't see Grihias? What if...what if he went somewhere else and I don't get to tell him where I'll be before we leave?"

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 6:36 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

"Gaelrin, you can not blame yourself for anyone else's fate... Not even those closest to you. If you must lay blame, blame those that attacked your people." Kano's heart sunk, considering that the people who were to blame, we're once his people. He looked down, then back to Gaelrin. "You are already going above and beyond your own call of duty. Hold to that truth. No one can ever take that away from you. No matter how things turn out " He looked ahead, hoping to catch a glimpse of Grihias. "As for your brother, he is a smart lad. I am sure he is well and you will find him. I suspect he is off to Dunharrow the same as us."

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 7:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin lowered her gaze as he mentioned who really deserved her blame; it was his mother and his father who were murderers. But the question was, was she to consider him a murderer?
Didn't he tell her that he used to go on the raids with his parents?
A shiver ran down her spine as she considered her what her feelings were if Kano was in fact one of the raiders, but she shook those doubts off as she caught the care in his eyes.
No. That is not who he was.
Gaelrin smiled faintly and nodded in agreement.
"Aye, you are right; my brother is definitely independent enough to have gone ahead of us. I think I was just fearing the worst. How...how are you?"

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 8:11 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama and Gramhold noted the passing of the soldiers, and as there was a short break in the procession they hunkered down in their cloaks and the wind drove the cold rain into them. With the approach of the next unit of riders Dunhama saw Gaelrin on Sandy, and next to her was Kano. He pulled back his hood and waved as he called out,

”Hail Lady Gaelrin! Hail Kano!

The unit commander decided to hold up as a few grizzled soldiers approached. They addressed both the commander and Dunhama,

”We have been sent to relieve the watch of this post. The riders are free to go onward.”

Dunhama shook his hand and turned to the commander,

”May Gramhold and I ride to Dunharrow with you? We are from Deorwine’s company and are to meet him there.”

The commander nodded and waved his riders forward. Dunhama quickly mounted their horses and joined in. Both Gaelrin and Kano held up and joined with them at the back of the company.

”It is good to see you both again!”

Dunhama said as the company threaded its way up the track through the rocks.

Last edited by Hanasian on December 9th, 2017, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 7th, 2017, 9:38 pm 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin noticed someone waving to them, and once they got closer, she dipped her head as she recognized it to be Dunhama. Not long after she and Kano rode up to him were they off on the road again. Gaelrin turned to Dunhama and smiled faintly.
"It is good to see you as well, sir Dunhama. I assume the Lady Athilda is on the path to Dunharrow to meet you?"

PostPosted: December 8th, 2017, 4:40 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kano greeted Dunham, pleased to have caught up to their friend. He looked about as they road onwards, then looked to Dunham for the answer to Gaelrin's question.

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 1:08 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

"Yes! Yes, my wife will be there before us. I look forward to seeing her again, for it has only been hours, I miss her."

He paused and looked aside as if he fell into a dream. He smiled and turned back to Gaelrin and said,

"She is riding with Lady Eowyn. You will be pleased to know Gaelrin that your brother Grihias is riding with them.

~ ~ ~

Railan moved over to sit aside Athilda and put her arm around her. She said,

"Fret not Athilda, for we will see him again in Dunharrow, and it will be some days before all the rider are able to get to Dunharrow. There will still be some time for us to spend with him."

Railan turned and looked toward the back of the wagon and was met by a grim stare from Grihias. Railan felt uneasy and turned away from him, looking again to Athilda

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 3:18 pm 
Ent
Ent

Gaelrin could not imagine what Dunhama and Athilda must be going through, but then again, she understood his desire to spend time with her. For she too looked forward to seeing her brother and being able to say goodbye to him.
A tear fell from her eye, but she quickly wiped it away and smiled, then nodded to Dunhama.
"I hope that we can all see each other before our departures and say a proper goodbye. But alas, it lightens my heart to hear that my brother is safe; I thank you for that, sir. But, if you'll excuse us, I think it is time that Kano and I ride out. Unless you wish to ride with us?"
Athilda wiped her tears away as she tried to stop the overwhelming sadness that weighed down her heart, but as Railan embraced her, her breath caught and she cried again.
After a few moments, her eyes grew weary and she wiped her cheeks dry, then placed a hand on Railans' hand.
"Thank you, Railan, for your comforting words. I had forgotten just how long it would take for all of the riders to get to Dunharrow, so it seems that there will be time between us. All of us."
Athilda looked up at Railan and rested her hands back in her lap.
"Do you have anyone special who is riding out today?"

PostPosted: December 9th, 2017, 8:07 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Dunhama and Gramhold fell in with this company and rode along toward Dunharrow. Dunhama smiled at Gaelrin and said,

”Yes m’lady, we will ride to Dunharrow with you. We will find Deorwine’s company there. Now, if only this rain would cease. This cursed darkness spreading from the Shadowlands of the East seems to encourage it, as if the first assault of the enemy is with this weather.”

And as if the clouds heard him speak, the rains poured down with even more ferocity, making the track muddy as water ran down the hill. The company worked their way up through the rocks in single file until they came to a grassy plateau. There, they could spread out and gently walk the horses as they grazed the fresh greens to each side. The ruts of the wagons that had gone before them could be seen as they disappeared between two tall pinnacles of rock on the far side. Trees grew high there, and the track was shrouded in darkness. They would soon have to coax their horses from the green grass and go down the track two by two.

Railan heard Athilda’s soft, caring voice ask her if she had someone special riding to war. She looked at the other side of the wagon as the rains poured down harder, leaking through the canvas. She wiped her cheek with her sleeve, glad for the leaking cover as it masked the tear that ran from her eye. She said,

”Yes…”

Railan shifted to let a stream of leaking rainwater pour on to her head before looking up and letting it splash her face. She had given up trying to stay dry. She glanced over to Athilda and finished her answer,

”He is someone I’ve known since we met as children. I’ve always loved him, but I am sure he does not think the same of me.”

Railan let her wet braids loose and pulled her long blonde locks back and tied it off into a single tail. She then said,

”I saw that healer woman… Annienna in Meduseld. It was late at night after you and… Dunhama went off from your reception. I was drunk and her words sounded strange from afar. But she sensed me, and as if some unseen strength drew me to her, I came to stand by her, and she spoke in her strange tongue as she raised her hands to the stars as they disappeared behind the black cloud that creeps over us. She said to me that Varda may have her eyes closed, but she still feels us, and that she asked for her protection over the people of Rohan. I did not understand, but it got me to think about it and I asked this Varda to keep him safe in war.”

Railan held her hand out and let the stream of water fill it. She drank it from her palm and looked at Athilda and asked,

” Do you think there is such a high power that can keep us safe?”

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 11:25 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Kano, though distant he was, tried to involve himself in the conversation at hand. He I quoted as to Athilda and Dunham. He was especially glad to hear that Grihias was safe and in the wagon, especially for Gaelrin's sake. He looked to Gaelrin and offered a comforting smile as she heard the news of her brother.

Then, as the rain poured all the more, it was time to move forwards. At long last they broke in a grassy are to let the horses rest and eat, but their time there would be short.

It wasn't long before those in charge made the call to the riders. It was time to move out. The was scarcely room for a pair of riders side by side on the path ahead. Kano, Gaelrin, and Dunham, being near the end of the procession, waited quite some time at the bottleneck.

"How much further is the road to Dunharrow?" Kano asked to no one in particular. He looked to Gaelrin, wishing they were there already and they would have some time to prepare... and some time alone before heading off to battle.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 9:28 am 
Ent
Ent

Athilda pulled her cloak tighter around her shoulders as the rain and wind beat down upon the thin wagon covering. But her action did nothing to warm her, for her cloak was slightly damp from the ride out. Athilda listened in wonder as Railan relayed her encounter with the healer, then paused for a moment as she considered her answer. But after a moment, she looked back up at the maid and smiled, but her eyes remained full of sorrow.
"I do. Even as our people were traveling to Helm's Deep, I prayed for our safety; I lifted up the same prayer constantly in my work during the battle as well. I....I didn't know exactly who would hear my prayer, but I knew that there had to be someone to give us hope during that dark time."
Her voice grew quiet as she considered all that had happened, then she finally whispered as a tear ran down her face.
"I will keep my prayers lifted, for all the men who go to war."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Gaelrin's nerves rose up within her at Dunhama's mention of the enemy threatening to slow them down with the rain, but her face remained rather emotionless. She couldn't let Dunhama or his commander find out her secret. If they did, she would be scolded and sent home while Kano and Dunhama defended this land.
Her thoughts were interrupted by Kano's question.
"I...I'm not sure. Dunhama, do you know?"

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 10:18 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The Lady Eowyn joined Athilda and Railan, and they sat silent for a time, huddled together to try and stay warm in the wetness. The wagon made fair time through the twists and turns of the mountains that shrouded Dunharrow, but some rocks loosened by the streams of water tumbled down and hit the rear wheel of the wagon, breaking it and knocking the wagon hard to the side. Grihias , sitting in the back was knocked out of the wagon and to the ground, landing in the muddy track.

Inside, Railan, Athilda, and Eowyn bounded hard together and the supplies fell all about. The driver jumped down and checked to see if everyone was all right. Railan, Athilda, and Eowyn untangled themselves and climbed out the back. The driver got the horses to pull the crippled wagon to the side as far as he could, allowing a single line of horses to pass. The rocks and the wagon blocked the way for any more wagons, so word was passed down the line for the wagons to pull aside and allow the riders to come forth to help move the rocks.

Grihias came and led the three ladies forward to get them out of harm’s way should any more rocks fall, and it was a good thing they did, for another slide hit the wagon , and the driver was just barely able to free the horses from it before it went over the side and down into the rocky valley. The five found a place where the rocks were not falling, and they stood in the pouring rain with the two wagon horses, glad they didn’t end up getting knocked down the steep slope.

”I guess the weather is with the enemy today.”Railan said, giving up on trying to stay dry. She went over and started pushing the smaller rock debris over the hill with her hands.

~ ~ ~

Dunhama thought a moment and then looked over to Gramhold who also heard Gaelrin’s question.

”We’ll be there by nightfall, for the road is rough from here on.”

Dunhama looked skyward and let some rain hit his face. He said,

”I hope this rain stops. Don’t want to set camp in a lake.”

It was then word came that help was needed ahead to be able to allow wagons to pass. The riders moved ahead, and they joined the others who had gathered to try and roll large boulders off the track and down the hillside so the other wagons could pass. Dunhama and Gramhold dismounted and started helping move the rocks. Two stout wagon horses were pulling the large boulders, and the ropes had to be cut when they started to make their own way down the hill. Everyone was wet and muddy and tired, wishing they could see the end of this journey as the day darkened.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 10:44 pm 
Ent
Ent

Athilda shivered underneath the weight of her now soaking wet cloak;it was useless to try and stay warm and dry, especially with the wagon being swept down the steep slope. Her self-pity was interrupted by Railan going over and assisting with the removal of the rocks; she needed to do the same. There was no time to loose. Especially when their time was so precious.
"Here, let me help you." She quickly walked over to Railan and helped her carry a larger rock over to the side, then began to work on moving smaller rocks out of the way.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 11:19 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

"Thank you Athilda."

Railan said as they helped clear the road. Railan turned and froze for a moment, looking down the road to some roders that had come. She squinted and shivered at the same time she felt a rush of warmth flow over her. Dunhama has come! He was hard to recognise in the dimming light and the veil of rain, but she was sure it was him. Catching her breath, she turned and looked at Athilda who was moving another rock. She went to assist her, and she leaned to Athilda and whispered to her as they let the rock go down the hill,

"Your husband is over there."

Athilda paused and looked in the greyness seeing shadows of men moving about.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: December 14th, 2017, 4:53 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

As the ride went onwards towards the wagon, Kano hurried to take rope tied to Boulder and use Sage to pull them out of the way. He would be little to no good on his own two feet in such a setting.

He looked to Gaelrin, feeling half guilty that she was stuck in this ghastly weather all because she wanted to stay close to him. Though there was her brother to consider, he figured both ought be back at Edoras under normal circumstances.

He had just grabbed the first rope, when in the dimming light he saw a women gazing intently towards Dunham. She seemed taken by him in a strange way... But it was not Athilda.

The young women then said something to one of her companions, who looked up to Dunham as well. This time Kano recognized the face of his friend Athilda.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 713 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 45  Next