Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Waning Days of King Valacar
PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 9:35 pm 
Elf
Elf

With the weight of betrothal released from her shoulders, Amarwen felt almost giddy with relief although perhaps the wine she had drunk also had something to do with that. She was able to laugh, smile and talk freely and the banquet was filled with delightful entertainments chosen to dazzle and fascinate. She clapped, laughed and gasped by turns for she had not a care in the world any longer. She was free again and this, well this was now just a wonderful trip to Osgiliath that she could enjoy. Her thoughts were filled with plans for her remaining time.

As she considered what she might do with her remaining time in the city, a ripple of amazement eddied through those gathered and Amarwen’s head turned as did everyone else’s to take in the latest diversion. She saw tiny fires spinning, almost hypnotic and then she realised someone was dancing with them. It was astonishing indeed to behold and Amarwen craned on her toes to obtain a better view.

”Would you like to see?” came a question so close to her ear that she could feel warm breath soft against her earlobe.

A quick glance aside revealed Prince Aldamir once again and he nodded to the approaching dancer.

”Oh yes!” Amarwen said, a little breathless with anticipation and so, with a quick flash of a smile, Aldamir set his hands firmly around her hips and lifted her just in time to see the dancer spit fire straight from his mouth.

Her head tipped back as the flames streamed up and then blossomed outwards like the petals of a flower. Then Aldamir was lowering her to the floor once more.

”How captivating,” Amarwen breathed, entranced.

”Yes indeed,” Aldamir replied and just as she noticed his hands had slipped up to her waist they were gone again, ”Are you enjoying yourself, Lady Amarwen?”

“I most certainly am, your Grace,”
she replied as the minstrels readied to play, ”And you?”

He inclined his head and then posed a question, ”Do you dance?”

“My mother would box your ears for such an impertinent question, your Grace. My education lacks for nothing and so, of course I dance!”

Aldamir smiled at that, ”After dinner, I shall look forward to seeing the quality of that education for myself.”

“Challenge accepted!”
Amarwen declared, for she did so like a challenge, and it was then that she spotted Almara, ”If you will excuse me, your Grace?”

She inclined her head to him and slipped away towards the other woman who, in her black dress, cut quite the figure indeed.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

”A courtship, if you will,” Eldacar said quietly to Lord Therald as the two men watched Aldamir lift Amarwen up from the crowd, ”I hope this will raise no difficulties.”

“It already appears to be underway,”
Therald observed;

“I hope you understand that this is no attempt to delay or defer."

“Of course,”
Therald replied as he turned back to the crown prince, ”In fact, I think it most wise on Prince Aldamir’s behalf.”

At this, Eldacar felt a measure of relief as he reached out to grasp Therald’s forearm, ”Your understanding, Lord Therald, is greatly appreciated.”

“You are being generous, your Highness,”
Therald smiled back at him, ”For it gives Alenna and I just a little longer before we must part with our daughter.”

Not to mention that just might sway Amarwen’s stance on the entire arrangement, Therald inwardly thought. He turned back to watch his daughter and Prince Aldamir engage in what appeared to be a lively exchange. Amarwen was smiling, her eyes bright and then, at something Aldamir said, she tipped her head back to laugh. The Prince, meanwhile, appeared to be enjoying himself mightily. Yes, a courtship was just the thing Therald thought to himself.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

”My gracious, Almara, what a wonderful gown!” Amarwen exclaimed, smiling at Almara as she closed the distance, ”Have you been here very long?”

“No,”
Almara answered and then glanced about, almost as if she seemed unsettled or uncomfortable.

Amarwen could only too readily sympathise, ”These things are not so very bad once you know your way around them.”

The expression Almara wore at that was sceptical to say the least and Amarwen’s smile grew.

”An exchange then. You must tell me how you adjusted your archery technique so swiftly and I will show you how to make these things not just bearable, but downright pleasant,” Amarwen fished two glasses of wine from a passing tray and passed one to Almara, ”Starting with this!”

Amarwen lifted her glass to Almara, ”To a fine day’s competition.”

And watching all of this very carefully was Calimir, who had already noticed that Aldamir’s Shield Maidens were no where to be seen. Well and good. Well and good indeed, he smiled to himself as he looked over to where Therald stood with Eldacar. Just how amenable would he be should this alliance prove perilous to the child he so clearly doted upon, Calimir wondered.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2017, 12:39 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Almara smiled as Amarwen approached, their exchange left her skeptical but really? What did she have to lose? It really did look like fun... If one knew how to navigate such waters.

Almara sipped her wine and took a deep breath. Perhaps such an evening would help her relive some of her latest tensions.

"I guess I just learned to adjust out of necessity. I grew up hunting for my food... If I missed my target I missed a meal." Almara shrugged and sipped her wine another time. "At the competition, I guess I just imagined the animals running, adjusted, and the target to be the distance I needed to lead the target."

She looked over to Amarwen, realizing she knew nothing of this young women. "What of you? Did you come to compete?"

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 1st, 2018, 10:25 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Lady Farien joined her husband at the table and Eldacar poured her a glass of wine. He leaned over to her and asked quietly,

”Do you think this to be well for our son to remarry a much younger woman?”

“It has been forty years since Lady Cealia died giving birth to our dear grandson Vinyarion, and Aldamir has not been the same. Though it was an arranged marriage, he genuinely loved her. Maybe Lady Amarwen can finally break through the wall he had put about himself since then.”

Lady Farien replied, sipping her glass. Watching the fire dance, Eldacar pointed out that Aldamir and Amarwen seemed to be getting on well together. When the dance was over, Lady Farien asked,

”What do you think Vinyarion would say of his father courting a woman that was the same age as he?”

Eldacar sipped his wine and said,

”We may find out ere the night is over. A ship from Pelargir docked in East Osgiliath earlier this evening. Vinyarion was on it, for his studies there had come to an end. Once he clears the weariness of the journey, he should arrive here this night.”

Lady Farien smiled and watched as Lady Amarwen went to talk to another woman. She gave Aldamir a nod and a smile when he looked up toward her. Did he know his son was arriving this night?

~ ~ ~

Calimir gave Aldamir a polite nod as he passed before turning his eyes back to Lady Amarwen. Calimir’s adjutant Girdaen watched Aldamir as he greeted his brother Ornendil. He sipped his wine and said to Calimir,

”Two sons of Eldacar, yet the eldest has yet to marry. The younger married your cousin Lady Cealia, yet she died shortly after the birth of Vinyarion. They had only been married a year.”

“Yes, my dear late cousin... married by arrangement to the younger son. Why my uncle compromised his desire to have her marry Ornendil for her marriage to Aldamir, I cannot understand.”

Calimir sighed and sipped his wine. He looked over to Lord Therald and said,

”I have to wonder why Therald does not wish his daughter to marry the elder son and heir.”

Calimir looked back to see Lady Amarwen talking to the woman who fought on the Pelargirian mercenary team. He leaned to Girdaen and asked,

”What do you know of that woman, the one in the black dress with the intricate golden stitching?”

“Not much sir. She took the purse for fighters on short notice as was your brief.”

Girdaen replied. Calimir nodded and said,

”Yet she didn’t go all out against the Rhovanion wenches for more pay. As beautiful as she appears, there is more to her than what appears to the eye. Find out what you can about her”

Girdaen nodded. He looked over to Almara and Amarwen, and quickly left the room.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2018, 5:00 am 
Elf
Elf

Almara's explanation clarified for Amarwen just why it was they had placed as they had. Though, given what Almara had divulged it would be impolitic to recommend attention to breathing control and posture for competitive archery, stationery, horseback or at the hunt. Such concerns, she imagined, would be rather irrelevant for Almara's usual use of the bow. It would be akin, she imagined easily, to telling her mother's gamekeeper how best to go about his business. He'd inorm her in short order what she could do with her breathing and stance if she brought it up.

And so Amarwen nodded politely and kept her peace on that subject. Instead, she turned her thoughts to how she might answer Almara's question delicately as she sipped at her own wine. And then, as no one appeared to be within earshot as near as she could tell, why bother with such sensibilities?

"I was not brought here to compete in any match of my own choosing," she answered, smiling in the hopes of taking any edge off her words as her gaze found Aldamir with his family.

What matter now, what reason did she have to be bitter now that she was freed? None and so Amarwen's smile grew as a consequence. She took in Almara's gown, quite provocative indeed and making very much the impact if she judged the room correctly.

"Have you any plans for the evening?" she inquired and then her smile became conspiratorial, "Forgive me, but your gown certainly seems to suggest that you do."

Almara's expression grew strained at that and Amarwen perceived that she had fallen somehow awry. She clarified, "If I know something of what you hope to gain from the night, I will be better placed to offer guidance on how to obtain it. Is it him?"

Amarwen nodded to a young man passing them by. He had taken more than a passing interest in Almara's gown, or rather what lay beneath it.

"And do you always get what you seek?" Almara asked, her strain still showing.

Amarwen smiled at the question and arched a brow as she replied, "I am known to be quite convincing."

At that dinner was announced and Amarwen turned about to find her father. He gestured to a chair at the head of table that, with a swift count of seats, she knew to be directly beside Aldamir. One dinner, she could survive that surely. Especially now that she had reached an accord with Aldamir.

"Sit with me for dinner," Amarwen said as she took this in.

"I couldn't!" Almara hesitated as she took in positions. Only the most senior aristocrats sat where Amarwen's father beckoned, but Amarwen reached for her hand.

"You are here as the guest of Prince Aldamir, Almara. I can assure you, he will not have you linger at the foot of the table waiting on food long turned cold. Why, if they have not thought to set you a place, it would be an insult to Prince Aldamir. And if they have, and you fail to take it..."

"Also an insult,"
Almara astutely guessed and Amarwen nodded.

"Come - on the head table you will receive the upper crust of the loaf. Always the best. Salt and spices too! The choicest cuts of meat," Amarwen continued and then leaned in so close that her shoulder brushed Almara's, "And it is the most perfect place to observe all gathered, at your leisure, for sport or amusement. Nothing is so interesting as the people around us, I find."

"Very well,"
Almara replied, sounding somewhat reluctant. As far as Amarwen was concerned, the matter was settled.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Aldamir took in his mother's expression and knew, in an instant, that she had something to say. No time to say it, as it turned out, for they were called to dinner. Perhaps afterwards, he thought to himself as he turned towards the tables. As he did so, he could not help but notice Amarwen standing with a woman in a striking dress. Some might say provocative. Once again, Amarwen wore a conspiratorial expression, her eyes sparkling with some sort of mischief as she leaned in to whisper to the woman. Briefly wondering just what she was up to, Aldamir struggled for a moment to place Amarwen's companion and then it came to him: the woman that had placed second in the stationery archery. Quite the transformation indeed, that, he thought to himself as his mother found her way to his side.

"Perhaps another place is required," Lady Farien said quietly as the royal family assembled to take their places in a very particular order.

"For whom?'

"Vinyarion,"
his mother answered and Aldamir's brows rose as he smiled.

"Excellent."

"Are you certain?"
she asked, turning to look back to where Lady Amarwen stood with her father, "Is he aware?"

"Not as of yet,"
Aldamir replied, looking back himself just as Amarwen laughed at something, "But I can see no reason to put that off any longer now that we are agreed."

"He may not be as glad of the tidings as you may hope,"
Lady Farien observed and Aldamir nodded quietly to himself.

"Perhaps not, Mother, but I suspect Lady Amarwen's charms will be more than equal to any challenge."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Who is that?" Vinyarion inquired as he peered into the hall, his presence yet to be announced.

All were at dinner and seated at his father's elbow, looking very much at ease, were two young women. One wore black and other was clad in ruby velvet that glowed richly. His companions leaned forward and some whistled but one looked sharply at them.

"I do not know the woman in black," Halvarin said as he returned his attention to the hall ahead of them, "But the other is Lady Amarwen of Edhellond."

"That's Amarwen?"
Vinyarion echoed, surprised, "There's not more than one, is there?"

"There is not,"
Halvarin confirmed, still gazing at the high table before he shook himself.

Vinyarion shook his head at Halvarin and grinned, "And you're just friends..."

Halvarin shifted his weight at this and said nothing as he looked at the high table. Amarwen it most certainly was, and she appeared to be enjoying herself at the elbow of Prince Aldamir. And why would she not, he wondered, as Vinyarion straightened his appearance a final time.

Then he pressed forward to have his presence announced and Halvarin filed through after him. At the announcement, the attention of the hall fell upon them and Prince Aldamir rose to his feet at the arrival of his son. As for Amarwen, she gazed at the entrance of the hall and Halvarin was sure her smile, dazzling and bright, was for him. Mostly sure, at least.

Last edited by Elora Starsong on January 20th, 2018, 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 1:49 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Rie-Zunic stood at his position near the entry when Aldamir's son approached. It had been some time since Rie-Zunic had seen Vinyarion, but he recognized him and bowed immediately. As Rie-Zunic lifted his head the young man paused, another guard approaching.

"I am to relieve you, sir," he told Rie-Zunic.

Rie-Zunic bowed and was about to reply when he turned to the sound of Vinyarion's voice.

"You, soldier," he called Rie-Zunic. "You, I do believe are the first man if Gondor to recognize me. It seems you are free of duty. Would you announce my presence."

"Of course, sir!" Rie-Zunic said, bowing then hastily moving forwards with the procession. As they entered the room he announced the coming of Aldamir's son, then fell silent as his eyes caught Almara up by the prince at the table. She sat next to another women who Rie-Zunic did not know.

It took him off guard to see her up there, but more so simply to see her. His eyes settled on hers and amidst a comment Almara paused, locking eyes with him. For a brief second she flashed him a smile, and though it was sweet it held a hint of sadness.

Elsewhere in the room Girdaen mingled. He made small talk here and there, finding it easy to ask a few questions about Almara here and there. She had made it quite easy by placing herself so front and center at the table. He only need to ask, "Who is the ravishing young women beside Amarwen?"

It seemed few knew anything, though... And by few it seemed none. Until he caught the ear of another fighter from the games. "I do believe that is the women from the Pelagirian camp, is it not?"

"Is it?" He questioned. "I must say, I never would have recognized her in that gown! Do you know where she is from?"

"I heard she was a local," the man replied. "An orphan, I was told. Does mercenary work and paid jobs for military and other groups around Gondor. Otherwise I can't say I know anything about her."

"Thank you," Girdaen said with a smile, and he went.about his business.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 8:47 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

When Vinyarion received his early release, Halvarin congratulated him for his high grades in astronomical studies. A moment at the tavern while ales were schooned, Vinyarion asked Halvarin to come to Osgiliath with him, and Halvarin immediately agreed. Fearing it was drunken blather the next day, Halvarin was surprised when Vinyarion came to his quarters and told him to get ready to go.

The journey upriver was smooth even if it was slower than expected. The heavy rains in the north had caused river flows to be heavier than predicted. With an unscheduled stop at Harlond for repairs, they were not able to make it to Osgiliath in time for the start of the tournament. When they docked in East Osgiliath, they had barely enough time to get cleaned up and into their dress uniforms. While they awaited the coach to take them to the Royal Palace, Vinyarion said,

”It has been two years since I have been to this city. It still looks grand, if a little worn on the edges.”

“It has been longer since I have been here. I was thirteen when I accompanied my father here. He was the second to the Guilds representative to the King then. I was on the fringes of a Royal banquet then.”

As the coach rolled up they boarded and were off. Vinyarion said to Halvarin,

”Well, I will do what I can to see you are not relegated to the fringes. Being you are an up and coming navigator of ships, I think a place will be found for you.”

Halvarin looked over to the two guards that had just come on duty outside the palace, and for a moment pondered how much they looked alike. He shrugged and entered the palace just behind Vinyarion.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Vilna and Vidnavi, having found that the Rhovanions were not invited to the palace banquet, stirred Rhinnin, Helda, and Vilmaith to come with them for a walk through the city. They would find their own celebration. The twins spoke of a tavern they knew that catered to Rhovanions, and as they led the way, it was Vidnavi who decided to take a route past the Royal Palace. Vilna raised her hand and everyone paused and looked to where she was pointing. The guard of the palace was being relieved. Vilna recognised the two guards coming on duty as the two they had words with at the tavern in East Osgiliath.

”Look, it’s the brothers! Maybe they will be game to show at the invitationals tomorrow afternoon?”

She said. Vidnavi closed one eye and looked at the two Gondorians. She set out walking toward them, and when she got close, the two tensed and were at ready. Vidnavi said to Garran as she paused in the street..

”You were missing today at the tournament. I wish to put your name down at the invitational tomorrow, but I know it naught. What be your name Gondorian, so we may meet in the field?”

Vilna came up beside her and was going to try and get her to move on, but Gethan stepped down and stood next to his brother. Vilna squinted her eyes and nodded, saying,

”Two on two, or singles. We meet tomorrow, no? If you give not your names, know that Vilna and Vidnavi challenge you both in melee. We will be waiting tomorrow for you.”

Helda came up and pushed the twins on, looking at the two Gondorians. She said,

”It may not be wise to press them so hard. Come, let us find this tavern you speak of. I am thirsty.”

The five Rhovanion shieldmaidens let the Gondorian guards screen those who wished to gain entrance and went on to find the Northman Tavern, by the wall at the north gate. There would be drinks aplenty, but both Vilna and Vidnavi had other considerations now. Seeing the twin Gondorians, they knew that they had to bring their best to the invitational the next day. It dampened their desire to get totally drunk, but Rhinnin, Helda, and Vilmaith had no such inhibitions and bought rounds for the twins as they themselves finished each of theirs.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 11th, 2018, 12:21 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

They had been on duty for most of the day much to Gethen’s disappointment. Mostly their posts had been too far away from the festivities. There was much praising of the Prince’s name. Trust drink and entertainment to turn the tongue of the most staunch Numenorean. When the King’s line failed, that is when the people would curse the Rhovanians. At least that was the stuff the young guard with them had been spouting all evening out of hearing range from any superiors. Garren yawned with boredom as the guard continued on his hours long rant.

“It was bad enough when they…” the guard finally trailed off as an officer approached.

All three of them stiffened as the man walked up, his cloak billowing behind him. Everyone was in dress uniform due to the celebrations, something Garren found annoying. No fights had better start tonight, he didn’t have enough money to pay for a new uniform.

“Undarcil,” The officer snapped. “Both of you are going to fill in on guard duty at the palace. Now!”

“Yes sir,” Gethen and Garren answered in unison.

Their boots clicked against the stone streets as they hurried to their new post. Garren breathed a sigh of relief. Finally, they were away from that other guard. His ears were tired. It was one thing to be patriotic, but that man was an extremist. They were nearing the palace gates when Gethen noticed the twins that had challenged them days before at the inn. He rolled his eyes again at his brother’s stupid behavior.

“Relieving you of duty,” Garren addressed the two guards that were stationed there. They nodded and marched away, probably to bed. Garren would be jealous any other night and at any other post. The palace gates. It didn’t seem like much, but being positioned here could help them work up the ranks.

Gethen nudged Garren, squaring his shoulders as the Rhovanian twins came to a slow stop beside them. His brother blinked in surprise, having not seen them.

“You were missing today at the tournament. I wish to put your name down at the invitational tomorrow, but I know it naught. What be your name Gondorian, so we may meet in the field?”

Garren clenched his jaw, his eyes sparking. Maybe that guard had been right. She seemed to be hinting he had hidden all day instead of facing her. He glanced at his brother, who stepped beside him. Obviously, he wasn’t the only one that thought that she was insinuating he was a coward.

“I am afraid my brother and I were on duty all day,” Gethen smiled, though it held no warmth. “We would have liked to have been in the Tournament.”

Her twin stepped up.

“Two on two, or singles. We meet tomorrow, no? If you give not your names, know that Vilna and Vidnavi challenge you both in melee. We will be waiting tomorrow for you.”

Vilna and Vidnavi. He’d have to remember that. Which one was which, he couldn’t tell. But the same could be said for him and Garren.

“Gethen and Garren,” he answered. “We will be ready.”

Another Rhovanian pushed the twins away, speaking of drinking. Gethen watched them leave with a sharp gaze. Sure, he could call his little brother a coward all day long, but no one else had the right. The two lapsed into silence, watching the feast goers enter the palace. Interesting how some of the Rhovanians coming with the Prince weren’t invited. Not that Numenorean nobility would be ready for their...uncouth mannerisms. Garren crossed his arms, glaring at nothing.

“Sometimes you are more stupid and stubborn than that mule our father used to own,” Gethen commented, once the stream of guests lessened considerably.

“Thanks,” Garren said flatly.

“I’ll always be there for you,” Gethen flashed a grin. “Just like that old harness we used to put on it.”

Garren glared at him, “Let’s just finish this shift and get some rest tonight.”

Gethen snorted, resuming his careful stance lest a superior see that he was more relaxed than he should be. Garren looked the perfect guard, his stern expression and sharp eyes. Gethen laughed to himself. He hoped they wouldn’t ruin any future for themselves against the Rhovanians.

PostPosted: January 15th, 2018, 7:16 pm 
Elf
Elf

The Osgiliath Watch House was doing a fair trade that evening. Drunks. Brawlers. The usual business...except this time there were four Rhovianion women within and one, a tall woman with piercing blue eyes and head of bright red hair, was on the wrong side of the bars.

”He started it!” Helda objected vehemently and Vilna nodded emphatically.

”Saw it myself!” Vidnavia confirmed.

“She didn't even break important bones,” Rhinnin added and Helda shot Rhinnin, Vidnavi and Vilna an appreciative gaze. Her good mood soon evaporated, though, when she took in Vilmaith's dour expression.

”I’m not sorry,” Helda grumbled and it only made Vilmaith glower at her. Helda tossed her head to flick her braids back and set to muttering under her breath.

”I should have kept us to our quarters,” Vilmaith declared and Rhinnin challenged her immediately, ”Are we all to be prisoners? Has it come to that?”

“If you insist on rising to every provocation, it well might,”
Vilmaith snapped and at that, proper anger unfurled in Helda’s face.

She drew herself up on the other side of the bars and her fists curled at her side,

”We will not cower, Vilmaith,” she growled and Vilmath barked back at Helda immediately, ”You will follow orders, Shieldmaid!”

For a long instant, Helda stared at her. Unblinking blue eyes behind which lay a spirit and mind forged for the fight. There was no questioning Helda’s skill. In a fight, in battle, she was the one you wanted at your back. But, off the field…her obedience left something to be desired. Just as Vilmaith was preparing for open disobedience, something shifted in Helda. Could it be better judgement or had the woman just grown bored? No way to know. Whatever the case, Helda drew back from the bars and returned to the wooden bench she’d been slouched upon when Vilmaith had been called by the other three to come to the prison. Vidnavi, Vilna and Rhinnin took turns hailing Helda from the other side of the bars but the woman ignored her companions. Helda closed her eyes and so there was nothing more to be done.

Vilmaith turned away and walked a short distance from the cell Helda had been detained in. The other three Shieldmaidens lingered by the bars until she whistled softly to them. The three women drew away from the bars, peering back at Helda who remained within as they came towards Vilmaith.

”We can’t leave her here,” Vilna objected, scowling at a taunt thrown in the general direction of all Rhovanions, prisoner or not, by a fellow denizen of the Watch House.

Vilmaith shook her head, ”Helda knows how to look after herself.”

“Someone could knife her through the bars,”
Rhinnin said.

”Only if she’s stupid enough to get within reach,” Vidnavi countered and then grinned fiercely, "Only if they're stupid enough to let her."

“But it’s not right,”
Vilna objected, ”Helda didn’t start it. She had walked away from the lout when he cracked a bottle over her head from behind. If people know they can attack us without consequence, then what?”

It was a valid question but there was no answering it here. The inmates were howling, flinging epithets at the Rhovanion women in their midst. Vilmaith eyed Helda a final time. It was ripe provocation for any of them, she well knew, particularly the woman already arrested for starting a brawl. Helda, she saw, had not moved from the bench and her eyes were still closed.

”We could send word to the Prince,” Vidnavi suggested.

”No!” Vilmaith barked sharply, her attention snapping back to the women she stood with. Her response was sharper than she had intended but still, it worked. The others were quelled and they followed Vilmaith out of Osgiligath’s watch house without further argument.

As they gained the street, Vilmaith issued her orders, ”You will return to your quarters without delay and remain there for the rest of the night.”

The look that passed between the three women was brief but unmistakeable and Vilmaith was compelled to add, ”And there will be no attempts to free Helda overnight. Come the morning, provided you have been able to raise the coin, the fine will be paid.”

“But what if we can’t?”
Rhinnin objected.

Vilmaith gave no answer to that and she set off without a further word. At her back, Vidnavi, Vilna and Rhinnin traded another glance and then Vilna shook her head.

”Maybe some of the others will pitch in,” Vidnavi suggested, expression glum as they began to walk after Vilmaith through the streets of Osgiliath.

Rhinnin sighed but then paused, ”Perhaps that noblewoman might help. If she doesn't have the coin, her father would.”

Vilna's face brightened as she considered the notion, ”Vilmaith only said we weren’t to bring the Prince into this.”

Vidnavi smiled and her shoulders straightened, ”We could get one of the others to send word to the palace. That’s where she’d be tonight.”

“We could stop by on our way past…”
Rhinnin suggested but Vilna shook her head and ruled insurrection out with a simple truth. ”Vilmaith would wind our gizzards around her bow grip.”

“One of the others will have to do,” Rhinnin relented with a nod, ”Provided they know who to look for.”

“Easy enough,”
Vilna chuckled knowingly and the others grinned for they had not missed the way heads turned around Amarwen of Edhellond.

When Vilmaith checked surreptitiously over her shoulder, she found the three Shieldmaidens strolling along at their ease. Something was clearly afoot, she concluded with a weary sigh. She would have to watch them further still.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2018, 8:40 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

This is a continuation from the end of my last Halvarin post)

Halvarin was excited to find Amarwen there at the banquet, looking so beautiful and elegant and… royal. When their eyes met, a glow seemed to appear in her, and it was likely that the same could be said of him. He followed Vinyarion toward the high table where he would be introduced. Halvarin regained himself and stood tall as he walked forward, but still found it hard to keep his eyes off Amarwen.

After the formalities were done, Vinyarion turned to Halvarin and asked,

”Are you going to introduce me to your friend?”

Halvarin blushed a bit not wanting to interrupt Amarwen and her friend’s conversation, but Vinyarion caught the glance of Amara and Amarwen looked to Halvarin. He smiled and said,

”Lord Vinyarion, this is Lady Amarwen of Edhellond. I have known her since childhood.”

Halvarin gave Amarwen a slight wink and hoped he would have a chance to talk to her sometime this night. Vinyarion bowed,alacar’s great grandson.

(Sorry for the shortness. Working on getting my muse back on track)

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 20th, 2018, 1:19 am 
Elf
Elf

(sorry if I am moving too quickly folks)

Amarwen beamed at Halvarin, just delighted to find him here tonight. It had been months since last they had seen each other and in his formal Guild uniform, shoulders squared and dark hair pulled back, he cut a dashing and handsome figure indeed. She realised that her thoughts had grown unruly and that Halvarin had made an introduction. At his wink, she sank into a deep curtsy, her skirts spread in a wide flare. Through her lashes she caught the way Halvarin discreetly peered down at her. She winked back at him, her smile warm as she rose smoothly to her feet.

Here. Halvarin was here! She wanted nothing more than to pull him aside, perhaps out into the gardens, to talk to him. To hear his voice and listen to all his studies. Whilst he loved best anything to do with navigation, he always took care to bring her whatever he could on the subject of ship wrighting. Sometimes, even books from the Guild's big library in Pelargir. His grey blue eyes twinkled with merriment as he looked at her now but before she could say anything, three sets of fathers arrived: Amarwen's, Vinyarion's and Halvarin's.

And so, seating was adjusted and dinner was again underway. She watched Halvarin down beside his father intently and every time their eyes met she felt a frisson of excitement. She'd known he'd be here and here he was. It changed everything. For one, she was going to slip out tonight and her plans for tomorrow were now set aside. Distracted by her thoughts, Amarwen barely attended to dinner at all and as soon as it was over and the musicians prepared for dancing, Amarwen was on her feet. Fleet of foot, she hurried to where people gathered, readying to take the floor. In the press, she did not see Halvarin but a hand slid under her elbow and gently squeezed in a familiar manner. A soft smile was on her lips as she turned about but instead of Halvarin, she found herself face to face with Prince Vinyarion. He beamed at her, well pleased with himself, and she managed to cover her dismay by seeming surprised.

"Oh! I had rather thought you'd dance with Lady Almara," she explained.

"The evening is yet young, my Lady," Vinyarion replied, hand still lingering on her elbow familiarly.

"What of Princess Farien?" Amarwen persisted, looking in vain for Halvarin and unable to find him.

"Am I so objectionable, my Lady, that you would prefer I dance with my grandmother?"

If there was a rebuke there, and Amarwen was certain there was, the younger Prince hid it under his charming smile and so she had little course but to permit him to lead her out and onto the floor. As was the custom for this style of dance, Vinyarion released her hand so that she could walk around him. Once she was back in place, she curtsied as he bowed and then they were off. The Prince was naturally quite the able dancer. He was light on his feet, knew all the steps and was an attentive partner indeed. One might argue a little too attentive, for his hold on her was a little too close for comfort and more than once did she feel the warmth of his breath upon her throat or against her ear.

"You are quite enchanting," Vinyarion whispered quietly, "Little wonder Halvarin has kept you all to himself, but no longer. That game is done!"

Vinyarion chuckled quietly and before Amarwen could demand an explanation from him the music ended. She drew herself up, ready to hold him to account, but his father loomed over Vinyarion's shoulder.

"Now, Father?" Vinyarion objected when he realised what was happening and Amarwen was actually quite pleased to see Aldamir. She'd be happier still if she could find Halvarin but she'd yet to find him.

In response, Aldamir merely lifted a brow at his son and so with a profound sigh, Vinyarion set off with talk about locating Almara. Run, Amarwen thought to herself, as fast as that narrow skirt permitted. As she did so, the musicians struck up a fresh song and this one was lively indeed.

"If you'd prefer something a little more stately, your Highness," Amarwen said politely and in response, Aldamir was a flurry of activity.

Her eyes widened as he whisked them both off without delay. When she realised just how surprised she looked, Amarwen giggled softly at herself.

"Now, let us see about this education of yours," Aldamir quietly declared.

PostPosted: January 21st, 2018, 11:02 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Almara finished her meal with as much grace and as little awkwardness as possible. She felt quite out of place, but she did well not to show most of it. She stood silently as Aldamir's son and his friend approached.

After the meal the dancing began. Almara skirted the crowd that stood around the dance floor. She was looking for a particular Gondorian soldier. She passed through a small group, and on the other side of the dance floor Rie-Zunic caught her eye.

Almara smiled and tipped a head towards Rie-Zunic. Rie-Zunic looked at her for a moment, hesitation in his eyes. A moment later he began walking around the dance floor to meet her in the crowd.

~~~~~~~

Elsewhere in the room Girdaen also walked towards Almara. He thought to ask for a dance himself. After her being displayed in such attire near the head.of the table, it would be no unusual thing for several men to ask her for a dance.

He spotted her across the room and headed towards her but just before he made his way through the crowd, it seems he was beat. Aldamir's own son, Vinyarion, approached Almara.

"Excuse me, but may I interested you in a dance? It's never any fun on the sidelines." He smiled and reached out a hand.

"I..." Almara paused. Unlike Amarwen she was not as quick with her words. Her superiors from the Pelagirian camps would certainly look upon her as more valuable if she were to develop some sort of relationship with Vinyarion... Even if just a casual friendship.

The break in her resolve gave Vinyarion the chance he needed. He took her hand and pulled her towards the dance floor. "Come now, if your only objection is that hard to vocalize, it certainly can be overlooked."

"No... I'm sorry," Almara replied convincingly, casting a glance back towards Rie-Zunic. "I just thought I saw someone I knew, that's all. I was on my way to greet them." She smiled as the dance began. She hoped she wasn't too rusty. She had learned to dance... But it had been over four years since last she danced.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 12:08 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Halvarin had spent most of dinner and after discussing the key stars in the sky and arguing about how far a low draft riverboat could get up the Anduin. But he grew restless talking with the Guildsmen. His father took him aside and asked how his studies were going, and Halvarin told him. When he finally got a chance to seek Amarwen out, she was just starting to dance with Aldamir.

Halvarin saw his chance, and as Lady Farien walked by, he stepped forth, swallowing,

”Could I have this dance m’lady?”

“You are Lord Calimir’s son. I would indeed dance with you sir.

They turned and stepped out onto the dance floor, and soon it was apparent that it was not by chance that the Princess happened by. She said to Halvarin as they danced,

”I hope it is remembered by the Guild of my lineage, and not weigh all by my husband’s. All is not what it seems.”

Halvarin was puzzled at first, not sure what she was saying. But when she gave a glance toward Calimir who was watching intently, Halvarin’s thoughts considered what possibly could be taking place. It will warrant further observation. Right now, he used this moment with Princess Farien to see what he could learn, all the while dancing his way closer to Aldamir and Amarwen.

”Do you refer to your son and Lady Amarwen?”

Lady Farien glanced over at them, seeing how well they danced together. She said,

”The arrangement has its merits for Gondor, as did mine…”

She looked at Halvarin’s face and saw a sadness in his eyes. Halvarin was not used to having a mother, and he realised he had unknowingly let slip his feelings by his expression. She said,

”You are quite fond of the daughter of Therald are you not?”

Halvarin didn’t say anything but his cheeks reddened. Farien smiled. She leaned to Halvarin and whispered,

”You should not appear so eager young Halvarin. If you take the route least direct, it is the route least expected. Just make sure you are not too late at the end of your journey”

“Yes, m’lady. I will take your words to heart.”

Halvarin said. Was this what it was like to have a mother to talk to? He glanced to Vinyarion as he and the lady in black danced closer to them…

~ ~ ~

Vinyarion was enjoying his dance in accompaniment with this beautiful woman, and he said as he leaned toward her ear,

”Then may we dance our way toward them, and we can switch partners?”

Vinyarion knew he didn’t have her full attention. He would surely note who the one is that has captured this lady’s affection.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 2:19 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Almara gave a timid look, uncertainty in her eyes.
"I'm half afraid he won't want the dance," she admitted. "It has been a long span since we... We're an item."

Vinyarion only smiled, watching Almara's gaze towards the far side of the dance floor. And so, they danced in that direction.

On the sidelines, Rie-Zunic watched. If Almara was uncertain, he was more so. Yet there she was, slowly heading his direction.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 3:05 am 
Elf
Elf

Halvarin was dancing! Amarwen caught sight of him as Aldamir orbited the floor. He looked very comfortable with…Aldamir’s mother?! What were they discussing, she wondered. Distracted as she was, it was inevitable that Aldamir took note, for they had been talking about Second Age Noldorin poetry until her sudden silence.

”Something amiss,” he inquired as Halvarin turned about and their eyes met.

She looked away a moment later so that Aldamir did not see her gazing after another. Strangely, she felt uncomfortable that the Prince should notice such a thing. That this was so confused Amarwen and she felt the heat of her flushed cheeks.

”My Lady?” Aldamir pressed, concerned now.

”The hall is so warm,” she murmured as Aldamir steered them to the edges.

”I will fetch you something to drink,” he said but Amarwen shook her head.

”Do not trouble yourself, your Highness. I… some fresh air is all I require,” Amarwen returned for she had already had quite enough to drink as it was. Perhaps that was what was wrong with her.

Gently, Aldamir disengaged from Amarwen and inclined his head. He watched her from beneath his brows and observed, ”It has been an exciting evening.”

“Yes,”
she replied with feeling, ”It most certainly has.”

With a hurried curtsy, Amarwen turned from Aldamir and hurried through the throng for the cooler gardens. As she went, Aldamir marked her passage thoughtfully. She had her wide skirts in her hands by the time she gained the threshold. Fleet of foot and her heavy black hair flaring in her wake, the night soon enveloped her and he considered following.

So brightly had she spoken of her love for…he could not recall the poet that so entranced her now for he had been distracted by the way her eyes glowed with her enthusiasm and then, all of a sudden, she had fallen quiet mid sentence. Something had flustered her and he wished to know what it was. He wished to know a great deal more indeed but before he could effect that, a voice at his side turned his attention to his brother. Ornendil waved Aldamir over to where he stood with a number of others and so Aldamir attended to him, unaware that he was not the only one considering following Amarwen into the gardens.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The moon had grown brighter still since last she saw it and it hung, a splendid silver orb, heavy in the sky. Amarwen considered it as she wandered the cool, quiet paths of the palace gardens. Behind her, the minstrels struck up another song and she could hear the sound of laughter and the clink of glasses. Had she truly simply had too much to drink? Was this what was wrong with her now? As she rounded a neatly trimmed hedge, she heard someone hiss in the darkness.

”Over here! Quickly!”

Amarwen paused, frowning. She was sure, now, she’d had too much to drink. A shape emerged from the shadows and Amarwen’s eyes widened when she realised that it was Rhinnin.

”Have you any money?” the Shieldmaiden asked in a hushed, urgent voice.

Rhinnin glanced warily about the dark gardens. She smelled of ale. Amarwen could smell her from where she stood.

”No. Why would I?” Amarwen replied, ”This is a feast, not the weekly markets.

”Not a single coin?”
Rhinnin planatively asked and then crouched suddenly.

Amarwen turned but could not make out anyone moving behind them. They were alone in these gardens but still, Rhinnin set a firm hand around Amarwen’s elbow and towed her along to a position she felt more secure in.

”What’s wrong?” Amarwen asked as the Shieldmaiden rubbed the velvet nap of her sleeve.

She said, ”How much is the dress worth?”

“You mean to rob me?”
Amarwen asked, astonished, and Rhinnin shook her head.

”Helda’s been arrested-“

“Arrested!”
Amarwen exclaimed and Rhinnin clapped a hand over her mouth to quieten her.

“Why?” Amarwen asked from behind Rhinnin’s hand.

The Shieldmaiden withdrew it and hunched her shoulders, ”Brawling… though it weren’t our fault. Honest! I need coin…for the fine,” Rhinnin said, defeat in her reply, ”But as you have none…”

Amarwen pushed back her bare shoulders and offered the Shieldmaiden a confident smile, ”Oh, there’s more than one way to pay a fine, Rhinnin.”

It was not long before a Rhovanion Shieldmaiden hurried away in the company of an aristocrat in a ruby velvet gown. Their departure, though, was not unmarked, for indeed they had not been as alone in the gardens as Amarwen thought. The pains they took to go unnoticed made it clear that they were up to something most definitely illicit.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2018, 10:09 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

As Vinyarion and Almara danced to the edge of the floor, he gently released her with a bow. He caught the gaze of Rie-Zunic, though he didn't know the man, it was obvious he was one of the king's men.

"I take my leave," Vinyarion said.

Almara dipped her head in respect, then turned around and her heart stalled. There he was... With that look she knew so well. The look of skeptical uncertainty. She hated it when he looked at her like that. She scowled, but as Rie-Zunic offered his hand she took it.

Soon the two were dancing amongst the crowd. Rie-Zunic gazed deeply into Almara's eyes, but his gaze was broken as it lifted to her hair. "You haven't worn your hair like that since... Our wedding."

"And I swore I'd never wear it this way again," Almara said, a flirtatious smile on her face, but she faltered and looked away.

"Why?" Was all Rie-Zunic asked.

"Why?" Almara repeated. "That's all you have to say? Why?"

"I can't do it again, Almara," Rie-Zunic said. "You left me... Hours before our wedding."

"You were married," Almara said with sorrow as they danced slowly about the room.

"I was-"

"I know," Almara interrupted Rie-Zunic's emotionally charged protest. "You were married to your king... To your country. Not to a women."

"You know I hate it when you make it sound like I was married to-"

"I know," Almara interrupted again.

"So, what?" Rie-Zunic asked. "You want to try again? You know the political trouble brewing!" He tried to keep his voice down, but there was no doubt close ears could hear. One such set of ears was very interested in the conversation. "I will be demanded of by my king now more than when we first were in love," Rie-Zunic continued. "It will be harder, not easier."

"Were in love?" Almara asked, a single tear sliding down her cheek.

Rie-Zunic sighed, reaching up and wiping the tear from her cheek. "I never stopped loving you," he whispered. "I just couldn't change who I was, just so you could stand to live with me."

"And you shouldn't have to," Almara admitted. "I realize that now. Rie... I'm so sorry..."

Rie-Zunic had no words... Not that he could force out anyways. He leaned forward and kissed her lips softly. He pulled her close against him, so her eyes could not see the tears swelling in his own. Then, they danced in silent nostalgia.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 6:27 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Halvarin and Farien both saw Vinyarion forego his dance with Almara, having a fine soldier of Gondor take his place. Farien gave a smile to Halvarin and said,

”Now quick, lead us to my grandson before he takes his eyes off that lovely women in black. I have spent too little time with the son of my younger boy.”

Halvarin knew what she wanted him to do. Within a note of the music, Halvarin turned and surprised Vinyarion as he stepped them over and Fariel took her grandson in arm. Halvarin turned to look for Amarwen, hoping he could have a dance, but she was nowhere to be seen. Prince Aldamir was standing near the high table talking to his brother, Prince Ornendil. Halvarin swallowed as he had no partner on the dance floor. He walked off and decided to go outside for some air.

The moon seemed bright on its rise over the shadowy mountains in the east. It cast its silvery light over the Palace Gardens and the slight breath of the wind in the trees caused shadows to dance. Halvarin stood by the railing overlooking the gardens, and he breathed in the floral scent of the herbs that grew nearby. His thoughts turned to Amarwen, and the way her dress clung to her body accentuating her flawless curves. He caught himself and blinked when he heard something far away in the garden. He stepped down the few steps and quietly walked down the path, trying to hear where the sound was coming from. Voices whispering! Halvarin froze and listened as best he could.

Arrests? Brawling? Fines? Who is Rhinnin? Halvarin could not quite make out much that was said, only the emphasis of these words. The word ‘Arrested’ echoed in his head, for the voice sounded like Amarwen. But what would she be doing out here? He stepped down the step and rounded the hedge, but there was nobody there, and all was silent. Halvarin sat down on a stone bench and thought of Amarwen, and if she was out here, what was she thinking. He had thought that more than once in the past when they had been together. He looked over at the hedge that was ruffled by a breeze even as a cloud obscured the moon for a moment. When the moon emerged again, Halvarin thought he saw something. He stood up and went over to the hedge where it looked more ruffled than the rest. He saw where it had been parted, and he found something caught in one of its branches. The pearl earring was neatly hung on a broken end of a branch. Halvarin put it in his pocket and pushed himself through the hedge. He looked over the grass as it curved away, and thought he saw a shadow of two people disappear over the moonlit horizon.

Part of him wanted to follow them, but part of him called him back to the banquet. He went back, and finding Vinyarion and Ornendil still talking, he grabbed three glasses of wine from a tray of a passing waitress and joined the princes. Handing each a glass, he sipped his own before saying,

”My lords, pardon my insolence in stepping into a conversation between brothers. But I have something to ask Prince Aldamir.”

He didn’t wait for Ornendil to excuse himself, but immediately turned to Aldamir and asked,

”Where did Lady Amarwen go, for I am an old friend from childhood, and would very much like to speak with her.”

Ornendil looked to his brother, and Aldamir looked to the doorway that she went through. He said,

”She wasn’t feeling well and went to the gardens for some fresh night air.”

Halvarin nodded as he thought. He looked up at Ornendil and Aldamir and smiled slightly, lifting his glass. He said,

”To Gondor!”

The brothers saluted and sipped their glasses and said together,

”To Gondor!”

Halvarin drained his glass and turned and walked over to Vinyarion soon after the song ended and he had escorted his grandmother back to the high table.

”My friend, I need your advice. If you had a friend you knew much of your life, and you think they are unsuspectingly getting into something well and truly sinister, but you can’t prove it, and you want to look out for them…”

“Where has Lady Amarwen gone?”

Vinyarion said as he looked about the room. He looked back at Halvarin and said,

”Come with me.”

They walked out into the foyer, and as they went outside, he pointed at two guards

”You two, with me!”

They snapped to attention and walked over, with their seconds taking their place.

”Follow us”

Vinyarion commanded, and the four set off down the street.

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 24  Next