Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Waning Days of King Valacar
PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 8:13 am 
Elf
Elf

It had all gone perfectly, Amarwen reflected. She had gathered herself, flounced into the watch house, well aware of the effect she would have on those who kept the watch. Rather than take pity, she had pressed her advantage. A guard, overwhelmed by her arrival. Her long, ebony hair flying because of the way she tossed it. The smooth, pale skin of her shoulders and neck. The way she smiled, a certain twinkle to her eye. Amarwen, eyes bright, reached for her ears but her fingers closed only on the one earring. The one pearl. And he saw it in an instant. The hesitation. It showed in the guard’s smile, so much so that Rhinnin stepped forward and grasped Amarwen’s shoulder.

”Go on, my Lady,” said the guard, grinning, ”What do you offer?”

”It’s not worth it,” Rhinnin muttered, voice low and Amarwen closed her eyes.

She had given her word that she would win Helda’s release and what was she if she could not keep her word? Slowly, Amarwen opened her eyes and considered the head guard.

”Might we have a word,” she asked mildly, ”In private.”

The guard’s grin widened, if that was possible, and he gestured at a room that opened behind him. Amarwen pulled herself out of Rhinnin’s firm grip and passed the guard without a backward glance. It would not do to display her doubts.

”I am the daughter and heir of the Lady of Edhellond,” she informed him and the guard nodded. His smirk, however, told her otherwise and he closed the door after them she saw others had arrived. Halvarin’s face as the door closed was the last she saw.

”My Lady Amarwen!”

The voice that called her name was not Halvarin but such was the crack of command that it stopped the guard from closing the door entirely. He pushed it out and she saw not just Halvarin but Prince Vinyarion and two guards of Gondor. So did the guard and he hastened out again, spurred on by the presence of so many onlookers.

”Fancy finding you here,” Prince Vinyarion exclaimed as Amarwen followed the guard.

”Your Highness,” Amarwen replied, eyeing Halvarin and then Rhinnin in turn.

”What brings you here?” Vinyarion inquired as Amarwen approached.

”A small matter,” Amarwen answered as Rhinnin’s eyes met the toes of her boots.

At that, Halvarin pressed something into Amarwen’s hand and once she closed her fingers around the object she realised what it was. She shot Halvarin a bright, sincere smile for an instant before she returned her attention to Prince Vinyarion.

”A matter easily settled,” she said with renewed assurance.

”And what possible business could call you here, my Lady,” Vinyarion inquired, winking at Halvarin.

Amarwen turned back to face the guard and offered him not one but two pearl earrings, ”I trust this is sufficient to see Prince Aldamir’s Shieldmaiden released?”

The guard surveyed the provided surety and then Prince Vinyarion. A heartbeat passed before he issued the signal. Amarwen released her pent breath and turned to face Halvarin and Vinyarion, her expression aglow with victory.

”Thank you,” she said, her gratitude heartfelt.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

”And there they are,” Therald observed as his daughter, Prince Vinyarion and Halvarin returned to the feast. Despite their efforts to slip back unnoted, Therald saw his daughter kiss first Prince Vinyarion and then Halvarin on the cheek not long after their return.

”I’m sure there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for this,” Therald continued as he turned back to Princess Farien.

”Youth,” Princess Farien remarked and Therald flushed.

”My daughter is young, yes, but wise beyond her years.”

“Time shall tell, my Lord,”
Princess Farien replied.

When Therald looked for his daughter again, he found her smiling at her ease with Halvarin and Vinyarion both. But something caught his eye and it took him some time to realise was it was. She had arrived with her mother’s pearl earrings but now her earlobes were bare. And he would never have noted that were it not for the way Prince Vinyarion leaned in to whisper in his daughter’s ear. As she threw her head back to laugh, she reached for Halvarin’s hand and her gaze was for him and him alone. Therald pushed out a heavy sigh but Princess Farian had already left when he thought of what to say next.

Last edited by Elora Starsong on February 15th, 2018, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: January 30th, 2018, 12:58 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

As Almara and Rie-Zunic danced Girdaen also danced, close by as it would happen. Their conversation made it clear they were close, but had a falling out. The guard was.true to his king, a noble thing. The woman, however, seemed less so. True to her.country none the less.

Then a shift.in conversation caught his interest.

"You mentioned the political trouble,"Almara's eyes looked back to Rie-Zunic. "Rie... Have you ever wondered... If maybe the guildsman are right? I've been amongst them and though they can be underhanded, they truly seek what they feel is best.for Gondor."

Now Rie-Zunic looked at Almara with renewed concern. "You can't be serious. The prince.is the son of the King. He.is the rightful heor to the.throne and it.is my job to do the King's bidding. I will not question it."

"I know... I just thought.. maybe there is a way to settle this diplomatically."

As the conversation lingered it became clear to Girdaen that Almara had sympathy towards the cause of the guildsman. Rie-Zunic was a typical, loyal, soldier.

"Perhaps this can be used," Girdean told Calamir, after taking his leave of the dancing. "And I think I have found a way to win the woman over fully. Everything she has ever earned as a mercenary she always gives half of it to the orphanage she grew up in. An orphanage full of underprivileged Gondorian children. If we promise to support the orphanage we could win her favor and perhaps even the hearts of many locals."

Last edited by Jax Nova on February 20th, 2018, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 31st, 2018, 6:21 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

(Cough signatures off? Cough)

Calimir nodded, seeing the wisdom in Girdean’s words. He looked over to the two, and the soldier seemed to admire her very much. It was going to be the common Gondorian soldier that decides their fate. Calimir looked around the room, and his eye caught Lady Farien looking at him. Calimir gave her a rare smile before turning back to Girdean. A young guard came to Girdean and whispered something in his ear, and they had a low but serious conversation. Calimir looked again to the high table to see Lady Farien formally excusing herself to Eldacar. He watched heras she walked away, then turned back to Girdean who had finished talking to the guard. He leaned to Calimir,

”Sir, some news. Apparently some Rhovanion women went out and got drunk, and one was arrested by the City Guard.”

“Yes, we all know the heathens are disorderly. Why is this news?”

Girdean looked around, and he spotted Vinyarion with Lady Amarwen and Calimir’s son Halvarin. He said quietly,

”Both your son along with the daughter of Lord Thereld and the great grandson of the King have been reported going into the watch-house with a Rhovanion shieldmaiden! They had two of the City Guards with them. It is the samewatch-house where a drunken shieldmaiden was detained!”

”It is easily explained. Halvarin is friends with Prince Vinyarion from his schooling in Pelargir, and he has known Lady Amarwen since they both were children. They accompanied the Prince to free his father’s shieldmaiden from custody. I assume they are still there?”

Calimir said, looking thoughtful before his eyes turned to Lord Thereld talking to Eldacar. The sound of merriment near the doorway answered his question. The three had procured wine glasses and stood there with two Gondorian guards. They relieved the two door guards inside, and Calimir looked at them closely. He had seen them before, when he arrived in East Osgiliath. Two fit young men who liked alike. To see them appear with the other three, had him curious. He leaned to Girdean and said,

”Go and speak to those two guards. Get their names and unit and tell them that I would like to speak with them. As they are likely on duty, I will come to them by the door in a short time.’

Girdean nodded and said,

”Yes sir.”

Meanwhile, Halvarin toasted with Vinyarion and Amarwen, and with a song starting, Halvarin set his glass down and turned to Amarwen,

”M’lady, may I have this dance?”

~ ~ ~

Back at the watch house, Berian lay on the cot in his cell. He had a good time at the tournament and made good money selling his wares. He should not have drank so much. He awoke when the voices came in to free the shieldmaiden that had been thrown in the cell. Not wanting to draw attention to himself, he lay there and did not talk to her, and when these people came in, he remained still, watching and listening. Some high-ranking people had come for her! A Guildsman, a lady in high standing, and a man wearing the emblem of the royal family. Berian saw the earrings the lady used for the bail, and saw the guard put them in his pocket. More of note to him, he could tell the guard was nervous having someone of the royal family questioning him, and when the shieldmaiden was released, he saw her look briefly at him, catching his eye slightly open. Helda gave him a wink and pulled the door closed with a clank. But the back of her boot stopped the door from engaging the lock. Berian remained still and feigned being asleep. All he had to do was wait.

It was a couple hours when he realised he had dozed off. He looked to the guard and heard an awful sound. He was snoring! His head was on his arms, neatly folded on his desk. Now was his chance. He had to get the door open quietly. He gave it a slight tug and it held. He looked at the latch, and it had not engaged, so he gave it a harder tug and it scraped open with a ringing. Berian stood motionless as the guard stirred. He only turned his head away! Berian couldn’t believe his luck. He pulled the door shut, and the latch engaged with a loud click, echoing the iron. The guard did not stir. Collecting his satchel and belt, Berian silently stepped toward the door. Then he remembered the ear rings. He used his skill to extract them from the sleeping guard’s pocket. He heard voices, so he ducked down. After they passed, he slipped out the door. He was walking near the palace where the gaiety was still going on, he paused near a wall torch and examined the ear rings. As much as he wanted to sell them for the money, he knew they would be noticed. No, he would return them to the lady, and if it be in her, he may get some sort of reward. He did not want to run afoul of the royal family or the Guild, for they were his best customers. How would he find her, and get word to her? Did anyone say her name at the watch house? He stood in a shadow and watched the front doors of the Royal Palace…

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 5:42 am 
Elf
Elf

”Of course,” Amarwen breathed as Halvarin’s hand closed around hers.

They had eyes only for each other and so missed the way Vinyarion rolled his eyes at their delighted expressions. As he shook his head at them, Halvarin led Amarwen towards the dancers and it was not long before they were lost within the ebbing flow.

Halvarin’s arm tightened around her until all Amarwen could see were his sea-borne eyes of blue and grey. She could drown in them, happily. She marvelled at how swiftly life could change. Only that morning he was so far afield in Pelargir and she had been doomed to an unhappy marriage to a man old enough to be her father. Tonight, she was freed of that fate and Halvarin's arms were around her. Amarwen sighed as Halvarin swept her about and settled into Halvarin's sure embrace. He offered her a quiet, private grin that made her heart skip. It always had and she suspected he knew it well. Neither saw Prince Aldamir close on his son.

”Enjoying yourself,” Aldamir inquired and Vinyarion turned from his study of the dance floor to mark his presence.

A bonhomie grin bloomed as he took his father in, ”Oh yes, Father, as are your Shieldmaidens!”

Aldamir’s dark brows lifted at his and he drew closer to learn of his only son’s tale. As Vinyarion described the night’s adventures in vivid detail, another father was on the move.

Halvarin had only just told Amarwen that he had brought with him books he’d retrieved from the Guild library in Pelargir just for her. Books that she could collect for herself if she just stopped by his rooms…tonight. A thrill shot through her, from scalp to heels, but before she could seize the opportunity Halvarin had laid out before her, so tantalisingly close, she felt Halvarin withdraw. She had not seen her father's arrival but Halvarin was presented with the mightily displeased mien of Lord Therald. He looked fit to be tied.

”If you please,” Lord Therald intoned and Amarwen did not need to see her father’s face to know his frame of mind. Halvarin released Amarwen and stepped back.

”Naturally, Lord Therald,” Halvarin replied, the picture of courtly discernment but it was not enough to placate her father.

Therald slid a hand under his daughter’s elbow to keep her in place and he eyed Halvarin as he discreetly edged away, ”With me, young man.”

Faced with the ostensible command of a senior Guild Officer, Halvarin had little recourse but to fall into step slightly behind Amarwen and her father. For the third time that evening, Amarwen found herself out in the garden again.

”What,” Therald demanded, his manner icy and remote, ”Were you thinking?”

“I do not understand,”
Amarwen replied, her eyes meeting with Halvain’s as she spoke. She saw he was as confused as she and her father deemed they had gone far enough at a rapid clip to not be overheard. He released Amarwen's elbow and swung about to face Halvarin and her. Her father was fuming and she had never seen him so irate as this. Not once, no matter how she might have vexed her parents over the years.

”Your mother’s earrings, Amarwen,” he growled, "She entrusted them to you for this trip!"

Amarwen swallowed thickly and her hands bunched in the deep folds of her skirts. Her stomach twisted miserably for what her father said was true. But, they were just earrings, were they not? Mother had many such trinkets and jewels, Amarwen well knew, for she had delighted to play in them as a child. Never her mother's royal circlet, though. That was forbidden. That was irreplaceable. The rest, as her mother had told her more than once, meant nothing when held against the value their people, of a human life no matter how humble that person might be.

"They are just earrings, Father, and in my place Mother would have done as I have this night," she answered, drawing on that counsel now but before she could finish what she was going to say she took an involuntary step backwards.

'Your mother would be disgusted in your conduct. Sneaking away like a common footpad, insolence and indifference to the crown," Amarwen shook her head at her father's assessment and beside her Halvarin bestirred himself to speak. In the end, it was not Halvarin to interject but Prince Aldamir himself.

”Lord Therald, I have been looking for you. Ah, Lady Amarwen as well! Good, I have found you both!” Prince Aldamir called.

Amarwen watched her father freeze and Halvarin’s eyes grew rounder at this interjection. Her father drew a deep breath and bowed, ”Your Highness.”

“I will take your leave,”
Halvarin swiftly muttered but Prince Aldamir held up a hand.

”I believe this involves you as well, young Master Halvarin,” he said and so Halvarin squared his shoulders and clasped his hands behind his back.

He glanced sideways to Amarwen, who in turn glanced over to her father. When she looked back to Prince Aldamir, she saw Vinyarion lingering just behind his father’s shoulders. He wore a broad smirk, the awkwardness evidently amusing to him. When he saw her watching, he lifted a hand to his brow and saluted her gaily, well pleased.

”My son has a most fascinating account of intercessions made this eve, on behalf of one of my Shieldmaidens.”

Amarwen hesitated, unsure of how best to answer, ”I...did as I thought best, your Highness."

Aldarion then turned to Vinyarion who now behaved himself perfectly, ”I am told you paid a fine to secure her release. A set of pearl earrings, no less.”

Amarwen lowered her head and looked to where Halvarin stood. He’d yet to relax his proper stance. Beside her, she could almost hear her father's teeth grind.

”I had no coin with me, your Highness,” she replied, "The matter seemed to warrant immediate attention.”

”An astute assessment, my Lady”
Aldamir observed, ”I will naturally see them returned as soon as I may, with a measure of my gratitude for your prompt intercession. For now, though, this needs must serve until I can make good on the debt owed.”

The Prince came forward to take up Amarwen’s hand. He bowed over it and pressed his lips to her knuckles in a kiss that was both gentle, reverent and lingering. Her eyes widened, scarcely crediting what was unfolding. Beside her, Halvarin uneasily shifted his weight.

When the Prince straightened, the moon illuminated a warm smile that he turned next upon her father, ”How proud you must be.”

Therald nodded stiffly and joined Prince Aldamir on his return to the hall. Amarwen and Halvarin were both perplexed, though for different reasons, as they watched the two men draw away. Vinyarion, though was still in his usual high spirits. He sidled up and nudged both her and Halvarin.

"You've impressed my father, Lady Amarwen, a rare feat I can tell you," he chuckled ruefully but then tilted his head to one side as he apprised her, "Though, mayhaps I might find the going easier if I had a gown such as yours. It is very pleasing."

”Your father is only being courteous,"
Amarwen returned, scraping together what composure she could muster, "Something you might consider yourself, Prince Vinyarion."

At that, Vinyarion laughed outright and winked outrageously at Halvarin.

"What do they put in the waters at Edhellond, eh Hal?" Vinyarion mused, "You are quite the firebrand, my Lady."

Amarwen's spine stiffened immediately and Halvarin winced instinctively but before she could tell him of his insufferable smugness, Vinyarion's name was hailed from the main hall.

"Duty calls," he said, well aware of what he was escaping, and he jogged through the gardens for the hall without further delay.

And then, finally, Halvarin and Amarwen were alone...

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 12:15 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Girdean promptly went to converse with the two twin guardsman as he and Calamir finished up. The two seemed questioning towards Girdean but they nodded when he informed them that Calamir would be over to speak with them when able.

Rie-Zunic and Almara danced on through the night. They didn't even realize the passage of time.

PostPosted: February 4th, 2018, 7:35 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

The garden got quiet after Vinyarion went inside. Halvarin stood there looking at Amarwen, and he turned to stand beside her and said,

"Would you like to walk with me m'lady? I have missed seeing you in Edhellond, and you being here was an unexpected surprise."

They set off down the path slowly, enjoying the chance to be together again. He looked at the side of her face and said,

"We need to try and get those ear rings back somehow. Do you think Aldamir can do that?"

Not far away, Berian sat just inside the hedge where the slight gap was. He looked at one of the ear-rings and sighed. He froze where he sat when he heard voices slowly approaching.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 5th, 2018, 3:36 am 
Elf
Elf

What should she tell Halvarin of Aldamir, Amarwen wondered to herself. Surely he only asked her what she thought the prince might be able to accomplish because he had noted something, but what? If she told him of the now defunct arrangement, would he take that to mean that he had no place in her future? If she did not tell him, would he one day come to wonder at why she had concealed that from him and resent her for it? Frankly, walking at his side with their elbows brushing, she wanted nothing more than to soak in this wonderful opportunity.

"I do not know what the Prince is capable of," she said, looking up at him briefly before she continued, "I scarcely know him at all."

"Is that so?"
Halvarin remarked, thoughtful and this spurred Amarwen on.

"Rarely does Edhellond dabble in the royal court, Hal," she answered and then Halvarin slowed.

He set a hand on her arm to stay her and he leaned in to whisper, "There is someone ahead, watching."

Amarwen pressed out a sigh, not least because what she wanted was a quiet moment with Halvarin. She had missed him so these past few months and she had so much to tell him. For one, she had built a model ship and she wanted to test it against his own as soon as they could.

"There is always someone watching," she muttered but Halvarin did not release her arm.

He angled in front of her and called out, "If you be not a brigand or ne'er-do-well, show yourself this instant!"

Amarwen rose on her toes for a better view past Halvarin in time to see a darker shape jump down onto the path they had been following.

"Rhinnin? Helda?" Amarawen called, unable to discern very much at all.

"Who might they be?" the shadow inquired, voice distinctly masculine.

Amarwen drew back at that and wondered whether she could shout loud enough to raise the alarm.

PostPosted: February 6th, 2018, 11:18 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

While the festivities went on through the night Girdean took his leave quietly. He had a visit to pay to a local orphanage. He walked through the town, quite as it seemed. Near the edge, where the poor people lived, there was a ramshackle old building. Kids ran everywhere and few adults seemed present to supervise. The older children played as much the parent role as anyone.

Girdean looked to the older, yet still young, woman. "Excuse me, miss. Can you tell me who runs this orphanage?"

The young women was taken aback by his fancy clothing and richly attitude, but she pointed him indoors. "The older woman, sir." She bowed low. "She has gray hair done up in a bun and wears a brown dress. Not fancy mind you." She glanced at Girdean's attire once more. "Just a simple brown dress."

"Thank you," Girdean said with a smile. He walked past the young woman, eyeing her as he went. She seemed not more than seventeen, but every bit an adult as any woman. He walked in the door and there he saw the older women who had been described. Her clothing was tattered and torn. She bent low to the floor and hands and knees, mopping up a mess that the younger children had made. She sighed and wiped the sweat away as he walked up to her and addressed her directly. "Ma'am, do you run this orphanage?"

She looked up with tired yes, annoyance being hid, though poorly. "I do. Who's asking?" She too looked at his clothes, but scoffed to herself under her breath.

"My names is Girdean, and I am with the Guildsman of Pelegirim. A young woman you know has recently taken up association with us. She has been performing quite well, and we know this orphanage means a great deal to her. Her names is Almara. In honor of her success, we would like to offer you a substantial donation, to help care for the children here. It is a good work you do, caring for Gondorian children. This donation should cover a years costs." He dropped a rather large money sack that clanked as gold hit gold inside the leather pouch.

The older woman gazed up in amazement. "This... for the children?" she asked. "Why?"

Girdean smiled. "Let me just put it this way... Almara has done well with us, but I want to give her extra incentive to be assured that we are right home for her. I know she bounces from job to job, we would certainly hate to lose her. We think this may help foster some comradery and loyalty to our cause."

"And what is your cause?" the old woman asked, standing to her feet.

"We seek only what is best for Gondor," Girdean said with a sincere voice and a bow of the head. With that, he turned to leave.

Last edited by Jax Nova on February 20th, 2018, 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 8:43 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Eldacar watched as his grandson gave his presentation, and he sighed. The young man was a bit of a player of the women, and there was something about him that seemed like he had some knowledge of the future and it didn’t involve him in any way. He looked over at Ornendil who was flirting about with a Gondorian commoner serving maid, and again he sighed. Would the heir apparent of Gondor present a *beep* birthed by a serving maid conceived on this night be the future of Gondor? Eldacar looked at the near empty glass of wine, and shook his head when a serving maid, likely rooming with the one who his elder son was wooing, offered him more. He knew he would get sloppy if he had more. This wasn’t Rhovanion, nor the court of Vidugavia, where this sort of behaviour was commonplace. He looked over to the guildsmen standing to his left by the great arch of the ballroom. They despised him, and only tolerated his father because he was full Gondorian. He turned his head and looked to his father Valacar, who was clearly enjoying himself. Gondor was crumbling, and he could see it here, in this room. Yet, it was up him to try and hold it all together. He understood why his wife Lady Farien had retired. Eldacar felt like he had betrayed his Rhovanions by not inviting them to this banquet. It was a concession he had given in to his father. He looked again to his father, and he could see the strain of kingship upon him it seemed he turned grey before his eyes. His fathers rule was waning, and his would be contentious. He stopped the maid who walked back with one last wine glass on her tray. She looked to Eldacar, and he smiled at her as he took the lone glass. He gave her a nod before he sipped the glass and sat back.

~ ~ ~

Halvarin wondered the same thing, who were Rhinnin and Helda? It didn’t matter now though, he said,

”Show yourself!”

Berian stood slowly, his hands up.

”I mean no harm. I am seeking you m’lady, for I have something of yours you may have… left behind somewhere.”

Amarwen approached and stood just behind and to one side of him. Halvarin took the briefest of moments to consider her pressing herself into his back, but his eyes did not waver.

”Who are you, and how do you know the lady? Speak!”

Berian walked slowly forward. He said,

“I am Berian, a leathersmith. I saw what this lady gave up for someone locked up, and I procured them to return to you.”

He held up Amarwen’s earrings. Halvarin felt Amarwen’s hand close on his arm. He said,

”Then come forth slowly and give them to her leathersmith.”

Berian continued forth, looking at Amarwen. Halvarin looked him over and he could see no visible weapons. Amarwen’s hand went out and Berian dropped the earrings into her hand. Halvarin looked him in the eyes and said,

”I will not ask how they came into your possession. Rest assured they have value more than can be counted. What is it you want for your benevolence?”

Halvarin looked over to Amarwen, and Berian said,

”It was enough to see the Lady again. If you should need, or know someone who needs any leatherwork done, I can be found in the market square on most days.”

He turned and headed back to the hedge gap, seeing if he would be stopped. Halvarin turned to Amarwen who was putting her ear rings on and they both started to laugh.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 9th, 2018, 8:35 pm 
Elf
Elf

The feast was winding down and the dancers on the floor had dwindled. Guests had steadily departed and it would not be long before the minstrels ceased playing, or so Therald thought to himself. King Valacar looked weary and once the royal family departed, the evening would come to a swift conclusion. Eldacar was restless and his wife, Lady Farien, had already departed. The Crown Prince had lost his earlier conviviality and looked…pensive as he studied the hall. His expression shifted to one of relief as a chime rang out. The royal family was preparing to withdraw.

This propelled Therald to locate Amarwen and so he hastened back out into the gardens. There was the faint sound of voices in the night and he followed them to find Amarwen seated on the stone edge of a wide pool. She’d pulled up her skirts and set her shoes beside her to dabble her feet in the water with Halvarin. Halvarin’s boots lay on the grass behind him and the two were deep in conversation with each other.

”And I modified the keel. Wait until you see it, Hal.”

“You can’t modify keels.”

“And what would a navigator know?”
Amarwen teased playfully, ”I added wings to mine.”

“Wings? Ships are not made to fly, Ami!”
Halvarin teased back and Therald watched as his daughter rose to the implicit challenge. She rarely could resist a challenge.

”I will prove you wrong when next you come to Edhellond.”

“This is why they do not permit women to study at the Guild,”
Halvarin shook his head slowly from side to side and Amarwen gave him a firm nudge with her elbow.

Therald knew it was best that he interject now, ”Amarwen! It is time to go.”

He watched her jump at the sound of her name and then scramble to extract herself from the pool. In doing so, she knocked her shoes onto the grass and would have fallen backwards in the tangle of her heavy skirts had Halvarin not reached to steady her. Less hasty, Halvarin then busied himself with rolling down his pants and pulling his boots back onto his feet.

Just why Amarwen had reacted as if stung puzzled Therald. Then he noticed the luminescence that swung from her ears as she hastily stuffed her damp feet into her velvet slippers.

”Did Aldamir locate the earrings already?” he inquired and Amarwen looked across to Halvarin before meeting Therald’s gaze.

”Halvarin got them back for me,” she said as she straightened.

Halvarin shook his head as he worked on his other boot, ”Not really, Lord Therald.”

“Oh, don’t listen to Hal, Adda. He did. A man intruded into the gardens with them and Halvarin made him give them back! It was most gallant.”

“What man,”
Therald said sharply, glancing about with concern now.

”A leathersmith, my Lord,” Halvarin, self-conscious at being described as gallant, ”Who soon left as soon as his good deed was accomplished.”

“Good deed?”
Amarwen rolled her eyes, ”Was not to him the surety was paid, Hal. How did he come by them, eh?”

“How indeed,”
Therald rumbled, troubled, as he came towards Amarwen.

Both his daughter and Halvarin were in high spirits indeed and it would not do to return to the hall in such a state, ”Come, Amarwen, the royal family will soon depart and we must take their leave before they do.”

Amarwen sighed at this, put upon as if this was a chore, but smoothed her hair all the same.

”Oh very well,” she grumbled and then winked outrageously at Halvarin.

Therald shook his head for these two, when left in each other’s company for too long, invariably got up to mischief of one kind or another.

”That will be enough of that, young lady,” he declared as Amarwen straightened her shoulders and then canted her head at him quizzically.

”It must be terribly dull to be a father, I think,” she declared as Therald slid his hand under her elbow.

”Perhaps,” Therald dryly replied, ”One day, it will be.”

Halvarin cleared his throat and Therald saw the quiet smile on the young man’s face as he fell into step with them.

”Will you be staying with your father, Halvarin?” Therald inquired and Amarwen’s head picked up at the question.

”Yes, where are you staying, Hal? Where must I go for these books of yours?”

Halvarin’s smile froze at the question and Therald was sure he saw the young man wince.

”Ah…the library…I shall bring them to the library,” Halvarin said and looked aside to find Therald was watching him.

”Oh, well that’s simple enough I suppose,” Amarwen continued, unaware of the exchange between her father and Halvarin.

”Yes,” Therald intoned, ”Most suitable.”

Nothing further was said until they regained the hall and once there, Halvarin took his leave. His relaxed demeanour had been replaced with all the reserve of a Guild officer in training. He bowed to Amarwen and was not drawn by the way in which she poked her tongue out at him and then he saluted Therald before striding off to locate his father.

”I am so happy he is here,” Amarwen sighed beside Therald and he re-focussed her thoughts on the more pressing task before them: a dignified, civilised departure.

”I would be happier still if you took your leave of the royal family properly.”

“Well of course I shall, Adda. I am not a barbarian!”
his daughter replied and soon proved herself in deed as well as words.

A far cry from the manner of their arrival, Amarwen was charming and delightful in their departure. She chatted pleasantly with Prince Aldamir on the way to the door before turning back to wave at either Vinyarion or Halvarin. It was difficult to say for the two companions stood in close proximity.

Once safely back in their carriage, Amarwen sat back with a happy sigh, a smile playing over her face as she watched the street roll by beyond. She began to hum the melody of one of the songs that had played that night.

”I take it you enjoyed yourself,” Therald inquired and watched his daughter nod, contented.

”Oh yes, Adda, despite all indications to the contrary,” her eyes shifted from the window to him, ”Are you disappointed at the outcome?”

“Oh no,”
Therald replied, ”Rather, I am relieved at this change of heart.”

Amarwen’s smile, then, was the one with which she had captured his heart when she was but an infant staring up at him from his arms.

”As am I,” she said and then, stood to transfer herself to sit beside him.

Therald felt his daughter bow her head to rest against his shoulder. He had expected the evening to close in tears and arguments but instead Amarwen floated along, happy as a summer cloud. She bade him a good evening with a kiss to his whiskered cheek and skipped up the stairs. He remained where he was for a moment, reflecting on this turn of events, and then set off to write to his wife at Edhellond. Alenna would be, he thought, as pleased and relieved as he was that the match they had worked so hard to accomplish was likely to succeed.

PostPosted: February 11th, 2018, 10:37 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

"You know I can't make any promises," Rie-Zunic said.

Almara nodded, then leaned closer as if to kiss his lips. Last second she moved aside and her lips landed in his cheek. "It's more than I deserve," she said in a humbled tone. "Thank you."

"It seems things are coming to an end," Rie-Zunic observed.

"Yes, it would seem so," Almara agreed. "I suppose I should take my leave." She looked at him with sorrow in her eyes, but at his nod she kissed his cheek one last time and walked away.

After Almara had taken her proper leave, Rie-Zunic waited as a guard on duty. He would return home once the festivities were fully ended.

Last edited by Jax Nova on February 20th, 2018, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 3:05 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Halvarin and Vinyarion had taken their leave and were out of the palace shortly thereafter. Vinyarion asked Halvarin,

”Where are you staying tonight?”

“I haven’t really given it much thought. Likely find my father’s quarters and bunk somewhere there.”

Vinyarion nodded slightly. He said,

”Let us go have a night cap. I know a place in the north quarter.”

Halvarin was tired, but a chance to drink and partake in the life Vinyarion knew here could not be missed. He said,

”Sure, let us go!”

The walk through the street was quiet, and Vinyarion was taking advantage of not having his guards following him watching his every move. They came to the tavern he thought dearly of, and from the outside, it didn’t look like much. The two went inside, and as if he had never been away in Pelargir for nearly a year, a dark haired young woman took his arm as soon as he set foot inside. She waved at a friend and another was on Halvarin’s arm. When the four got tankards of ale and sat at a small table, Vinyarion said,

”Not a bad place hey?”

Halvarin looked about at the patrons, and though appearing sort of rough, he could see it was a place for lower command officers and the unit leaders. He nodded his head in agreement before tasting the amber ale. Vinyarion leaned over to Halvarin and said,

”Despite all that went on with us this night, did you notice who left early and nearly the same time? Of course you didn’t. You only noticed Lady Amarwen. Well, I’ll tell you… your father and my grandmother, that’s who. Let that creep you out for a bit.”

Halvarin blinked as he shifted the woman from his thigh to a nearby chair. He said,

”Seriously? No… although that would explain….”

“Explain?”

Vinyarion asked as Halvarin paused. Halvarin looked over to Vinyarion and lifted his tankard for a drink. It paused just before his lips when he lowered it again. He said,

”Before I headed off to board at the Guild of Ships cadet school, I found a letter my father had received. I didn’t read it, but I could see that it was from Lady Farien. I suspect they have been having an affair for quite some time now. It would also explain why my father took up the Guilds Crown Representative position here in Osgiliath.”

Halvarin took that drink of his ale, and Vinyarion followed suit. Vinyarion then said,

”Both my father and my uncle has known about it. Apparently it’s the most widely kept unsecret in the city. I’m sure my grandfather knows about it, and why his young Rhovanion chambermaid is never too far away.”

Halvarin nodded as he thought of all his years with his father. His mother had died when he was five from an illness that had afflicted her. Calimir never really spent much time with women after his mourning, but remembered when Lady Farien was in Pelargir, he was hardly ever seen. It made sense now. Halvarin was brought out of his thoughts when Vinyarion said,

”Grandmother married grandfather as part of an arrangement that great grandfather made to reinforce the Numenorean bloodlines in all of us offspring. Does it matter though to some? There are those who will always see Eldacar as a half-breed and will see us as tainted. I am so glad I am not of the elder line. If only uncle Ornendil would get married…”
They went silent until they each picked up their tankards and pounded them together.

”To Gondor!”

They both said in unison, and there was agreement around the tables as more clanking of mugs could be heard. Then Vinyarion and Halvarin turned their attention to the two women that sat with them.

It was late morning when Halvarin arrived at his father’s quarters. His father was fast asleep and didn’ wake, so Halvarin removed his boots and lay down on the soft carpet and fell asleep. But sleep would not be long for Halvarin, for Calimir awoke at sunrise and woke up Halvarin with the aroma of tea. Sleepily he came to sit with his father, though few words were traded between them. It was typical of their relationship. Halvarin sipped at his tea, and thought of the day before. He had some books to bring to Lady Amarwen...

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 14th, 2018, 6:59 pm 
Elf
Elf

Helda heaved a sigh as she seated herself on a low wall. At this rate, she was never going to locate Amarwen's earrings. Vilmaith was already fit to be tied, and when she reported back empty handed, so too would Aldamir be. She just knew it. Just why this was her mess to clean up was beyond her too, for that matter. She had not started the fight. She had not sought out the young noblewoman and she had not handed over a set of priceless pearl earrings to secure her release.

As the Shieldmaiden pondered the unjustness of her predicament, her boots kicked against the wall she had perched upon and she studied the street in front of her. It was just another day in Osgiliath. The tourney was over now and already the city had started to return to normalcy. There were still a few nobles and knights staying on but the departures had begun just after dawn. A steady trickle of people returning home by road and river both.

Above the palace they had started to take down the standards of those who had quit Osgiliath. Helda peered to it now and saw that the golden standard of the stag remained aloft. Just as well, she mused, for if Edhellond's Lord departed Osgiliath without those earrings returned...

Just why had his daughter parted with them in the first place, Helda mused. She'd been perfectly content to bide her time in that cell. Wasn't the first, nor the worst, cell she seen. With a shake of her head, she unhooked her water skin, uncorked it and took a long draught. It was time to get back to the search - perhaps she'd track down that man. He'd been a leathersmith, if she was not mistaken, and that meant she needed to make for the tanners' quarters. Her nose crinkled in anticipation of the stench that was to come.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Amarwen peered at the fountain. A gentle music of water softly falling was soothing, but not enough to quell her restlessness. Despite her efforts to the contrary and the pride she took in being able to keep herself occupied, Amawen was most thoroughly bored. She diverted her attention from the fountain to the wide blue sky overhead. From the position of the sun, she was reasonably certain that it was midday and yet she had not seen Halvarin.

Had he not said he'd bring the books to the Great Library? Perhaps she had misheard. Perhaps he had been called away. Fidgeting with the end of one dark braid, Amarwen considered the courtyard of the Great Library. It was not large but it was carefully maintained and quite lovely. Ordinarily, if she had a choice between neatly trimmed hedges and rows upon rows of books, she'd be amongst the shelves but today she could not seem to settle her thoughts.

Again her study fell to the fountain. Dark lily pads spread across the surface and the fountain was set into the earth itself. Beneath their broad spread flashed scales and fins of silver and amber. She watched the fish gracefully move about, nudging the lilies and utterly unconcerned by the falling water at the fountain's centre. She moved closer to the edge until the linen hem of her blue gown fell over the edge. Her arrival made the fish scatter but it was not long before they returned.

Carefully, Amarwen crouched and again the fish scattered. They did not go so far this time, accustomed to her presence. She wondered whether the fish would permit themselves to be stroked if she dangled her fingers in the water. Her braids were likely to fall into the water if she was not careful and that would never do. She pushed them back, delicate of the pins used to keep them coiled at her ears in the current fashion of the court, and then bent forward with fingers outstretched.

"Careful, my lady, lest you fall in," came a voice from behind her.

So intent was Amarwen on her pursuit that she was momentarily startled.

"Oh!" she exclaimed, very nearly overbalancing and soon she was being guided to her feet.

"Those fish are ravenous creatures," said Prince Aldamir, standing very close now.

"Truly?" she asked, astonished until his smile revealed that he jested with her.

Her cheeks flushed at her gullible question and she tried to regain her composure with a more intelligent query, "How did the fish come to be there, your Highness?"

"Why they flew in, of course,"
he replied, enjoying himself.

"Of course," Amarwen echoed as she looked to the fountain.

Was this another jest? It had to be. She looked back to the prince and found his expression difficult to read. He studied her in return for a moment, his eyes wandering to her ears. She wondered if he found the coiled braids foolish and then wondered why she cared.

"You look particularly lovely this day, my lady," he remarked as he drew his gaze to her own, "I see your earrings have been returned to you."

"Oh, yes, last night in point of fact,"
Amarwen said as she remembered Aldamir's undertaking to locate them, "Should I have mentioned that to you earlier? I do hope I've not caused any inconvenience."

Aldamir shook his head and smiled again, "Helda can do with a goose chase every now and again. Keeps her out of mischief."

He turned away from her to consider the Great Library, "And what do you make of this place."

"It is quite wonderful,"
Amarwen honestly replied, "The Dome of Stars particularly so."

"And yet, you are out here playing in the fountain."

"I was a little restless,"
Amarwen admitted and Aldamir turned back to her with a smile.

"I think I have just the thing for that, my Lady. If you will?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Try as he might, Aldamir found it difficult to keep his eyes on the way ahead. It was too early by far to allow Amarwen to catch his eyes upon her, no matter that she looked as fresh as the summer sky. His boots rang on the marble underfoot as he led her up the wide, shallow stairs to the fourth level. By contrast, Amarwen's slippers were a whisper hidden within her skirts. He peeked at her and found her peering at the shelves they now walked through. Her expression was one of interest, confirming for him that the young woman at his side shared her father's love of ships. Or so he hoped for if he was mistaken, what he had planned would not at all do.

"Where are we going," she asked and Aldamir looked away before she caught him looking at her.

"Just a little further," he answered, his fingers playing with a key in his pocket.

True to his words, they soon reached the door he had in mind. He unlocked it and the thick oak swung on reluctant hinges at his push. A chamber was revealed and he stepped aside so that she could see into it. Amarwen drew in a sharp gasp at what she found within.

"You may go in, if you would like," he said as she hovered on the threshold.

She flashed him a smile as bright as sunlight and then she was in the chamber. Aldamir watched her take in the intricate model of a ship. It stood in the centre of the chamber, painstakingly constructed over the course of a decade. He remembered well the moment he had seen it unveiled for the first time and he saw that same joy, wonder and delight now in Amarwen.

"Is…is it…" she whispered in hushed, reverent tones, eyes wide as she took in the details of the model.

"Elendil's ship, as near as we can manage from the extant sources," Aldamir confirmed and Amarwen nodded.

"Just look at its draught" she remarked, crouching to get a better perspective.

She was entranced, he saw, utterly transfixed and Aldamir felt a deep sense of satisfaction. That was not all he felt but he steeled himself against the urge to pull her to him. The timing was not right. Tempting as she was, he was not his elder brother and she was not a member of the household staff. Aldamir pulled his gaze away from Amarwen and concentrated on this. Despite his efforts, he was not unaware that his resolve was not as steadfast as he would like. His blood stirred in a way it had not for decades now. The long, lonely years were being peeled inexorably away by the young woman before him.

"Father! Father?" Vinyarion's voice echoed, bouncing off the marble floors and stone walls of the library and reaching Aldamir where he stood grappling with himself, "Are you here, Father?"

Aldamir drew in a slow breath as he mastered himself and found Amarwen looking to him, uncertain now. She clearly was not ready to quit the chamber and so he drew out the key and held it towards her.

"Stay as long as you wish, my lady," he said, careful to keep his fingers from brushing her own as she reached for the iron key, "Return this to the Head Librarian when you are ready."

"Thank you, your Highness,"
Amarwen replied and sank into a curtsy before him.

Aldamir peered down at her bowed head, distracted until his son called again.

"The pleasure is mine, Amarwen," he said softly and turned away before he did or said anything rash.

Intemperate as his son was, Vinyarion's arrival had been timely. Though, there had best be a sound reason for his shouting in the Great Library as if he were on the docks. Despite the disapproval Aldamir wore, his son smiled at him.

"There you are!" he exclaimed, untroubled.

"And the reason for this scene?" Aldamir pressed, not so readily charmed by his son's easy manner.

"Why, it is past midday and we've yet to eat," Vinyarion said.

Aldamir's eyes narrowed, "I take it that you have again lost your coin gambling cannot afford to settle your debts."

Vinyarion's smile did not so much as flicker, "Father! You wound me."

"You will have to settle your own wagers, Vinyarion. We have discussed this before,"
Aldamir pressed.

Vinyarion sighed at that and nodded, "I know, Father, and I will. I promise it. Still, what about lunch?"

With a shake of his head, Aldamir nodded to the wide doors of the library and Vinyarion brightened immediately.

"I know of just the place," he said and as Aldamir followed his son from the Library he peered behind him, up to the fourth floor. When he would see Amarwen again he could not know, but he hoped he would be able to do so at least one more time before she and her father departed Osgiliath.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As he led his father out of the Great Library, Vinyarion winked rakishly at a certain someone with an armful of books he'd removed from one library to bring to another. Baffling as Vinyarion found that, he could guess at what Halvarin was about. Despite their charming company last night, Halvarin had scarcely paid attention to their companions. Not that Vinyarion objected, for the two young women were delightful and more for him was exactly that. More. It was a shame his fortunes last night did not extend to the wagering.

Whilst Vinyarion could understand why his friend was preoccupied with a certain raven haired firebrand, he did worry...for it was not often that the aristocracy married outside of the nobility, his great-grandfather an excellent example of why that was. And just look at what had happened there, Vinyarion mused. His grandfather had been matched to a noble in a bid to undo or reverse that lapse. Lord Therald was no Rhovanion, but nor had he been a noble when he had pursued Lady Amarwen's mother. Quite the scandal that had caused, requiring the intercession and support of the Prince of Dol Amroth. Lady Amarwen's parents would be eager to ensure such an upset did not continue, he thought, much as his great grandfather had been. When it came to arranging their daughter's marriage, surely something that would occur soon if it had not already begun, they would look to secure her a husband within the aristocracy.

Vinyarion was certain of it...and worse, he feared something else...for Lady Amarwen's name had been mentioned more than once in his hearing since his arrival in Osgiliath. What would happen, he wondered, if she was matched to him? They were both of age...and whilst Vinyarion found Lady Amarwen appealing in so many ways, he did not find the prospect of what that would do to his friendship with Halvarin in the least appealing. Perhaps they really were just friends, he thought to himself. Perhaps it was merely coincidence his family were discussing the young heir to Edhellond. Perhaps...And in any case, he had more immediate things to concern himself with: like how he was going to pay his gambling debt now. Halvarin had not the coin, he well knew, his father had the coin but not the inclination to lend it to him...and that left the youngest prince of the realm in an unfortunate predicament.

PostPosted: February 19th, 2018, 5:53 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Halvarin managed to get through the doors of the library with the volumes in arm. He wanted to visit the Great Library of Osgiliath and was hoping to find Amarwen there. He was late as he had to gather the books and getting up late after the hard night with Vinyarion. He was surprised to see both Vinyarion and Aldamir leaving the library as he approached, he was hardly able to acknowledge them. Once he was inside, the door closed and latched, and his footsteps echoed through the dome.

”Lady Amarwen? Are you here?”

His words echoed off into silence. Halvarin looked around the library and thought it would be his chance to study their star charts. The Dome of the Stars was a wonder of the city that had no match, and even in daylight the shafts of light would map star patterns on the floor. Halvarin set the books he brought on a bench and started to track the shafts of light and smiled. A giggle from afar brought him out of his star mapping and he looked up to a balcony.

“Lady Amarwen! I brought you the books! Yes, I’m late… ”

Amarwen disappeared from the balcony, but her shuffling feet echoing through the main hall told Halvarin that she was coming down the stairs. It wasn’t long before she appeared walking toward him. She paused to look at the books Halvarin brought.

”Dear Halvarin, these must be some books. Here I … we are in the library of Osgiliath, together, alone, with such a store of knowledge around us. What do thee book hold that I will not find here in this place?”

Halvarin stood before Amarwen and looked into her eyes. At that moment, he had no idea what was so special about the books he brought. He blinked and broke his gaze that had been captivated by her shimmering grey eyes.

”I know there is much into them on navigation and sea currents and such. Accounts of mariners of old. If these volumes are indeed in this beautiful library, then a reading copy would be welcome. My father’s library holds much, and I peruse it at will. But I would prefer to see the knowledge be open to all who desires to seek the knowledge.”

Halvarin realised he was babbling on. He turned his head and looked around. He said,

”What do you think this place has on its shelves of the constellations, m’lady? The Dome of the Stars resides here and has for many years. Surely there are volumes of the stars and their movements. Lady Varda I have found is filled with mystery.”

Some clouds obscured the sun, and the brightness under the dome faded into a shimmering grey. He turned to Amarwen, and asked,

”What is it, m’lady, that you would see here in this place?”

He didn’t realise he was holding both her hands.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 12:16 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Girdean walked into the mercenary tents and located Almara's. He stepped inside without so much as an announcement.

Almara jumped, reaching for her sword. She stopped when she saw who it was. Her fleeting look of fear from being startled gave way to a look of contempt for the rude entrance. "I've killed men for entering my bed chamber unannounced," she warned, a droll tone to her voice.

"Indeed?" Girdean quiried. "Is that a problem you have often? Or perhaps only with a certain Gondorian guardsman?"

Almara's face wavered but for a second. She slid her sword back in it's sheath and turned back to braids. She was in the midst of fixing her hair for the day. "I fail to see why my romantic interest are any concern of yours. You pay me to fight, and that's exactly what I do. I've placed well. If it we're a distraction it may merit concern, but-"

"I'm afraid you misjudge my intentions," Girdean told her. He lay a letter down beside her. "This is my letter of recommendation, for you. You fight for money. This is your chance to fight for more than money. This is your chance to fight for Gondor."

Almara opened the letter and skimmed over it. Her heart wrenched when she read the promise at the end. A promise from Girdean to support the orphanage where she was raised. He would personally see to their expenses.

"Why would you offer me this?" She asked, eyes failing in strength as tears of her past threatened to resurface.

"Because you are loyal to Gondorian," Girdean answered, his tone simplistic and to the point. "Far too many pure Gondorian children scrape by on the streets while the prince brings blood from outside our own people and lavishes them with wealth. I want to see our people cared for!" Girdean spoke with passion in his voice for the first time. "Not see our riches shared.nor squandered on lesser nation's. If you join our ranks as a member, I will promise continued aid to the orphanage."

"And..." Almara sensed there was yet one u spoken requirement.

"And your man," Girdean spoke in a calmer tone now. "It is the common people and the soldiers who will ultimately decide the fate of this country. Speak with your lover. Win him to our side. Let him see the reasoning behind our logic. If we can gain influence amount the military ranks, perhaps bloodshed can be avoided. Besides... You wouldn't want him on the opposite side when we win this war, would you?"

Almara sat silent for a moment. She finished her hair then stood. "I've spoken with him in brief towards such an end." Her eyes settled on her feet.for a moment before she looked back up at Girdean. "I am loyal to the king... but I do not agree with the mixing of blood. The prince has stepped beyond his bounds and all Gondorian will suffer for it. I will speak to Rie-Zunic again. With time, I believe he will come to see reason."

"Good," Girdean said. He smiled, dipped his head, then took his leave.

PostPosted: February 20th, 2018, 4:04 am 
Elf
Elf

Great Library of Osgiliath

What indeed did she want to see with this man? The Dome of Stars…the model ship - for she still had the keys. Any of it, none of it. It was his company she desired about all else and well, she thought, did he know it. The rest of the day stretched before them, full of promise. Amarwen squeezed Halvarin's fingers as she smiled into his face.

"Come with me, Master Halvarin," she said, arching her brows at him and then gently slipping her fingers from his hands.

She took a step, peered over her shoulder back at him and winked, "Are you going to stand there all day?"

Halvarin hastened after them and they started up the wide, shallow stairs of the library together. For a time, they kept pace but Halvarin lengthened his stride to push ahead. The race was on and they gained the uppermost levels short of breath, cheeks flushed and both brimming with amusement. Then Halvarin looked up, took in the majesty of the Dome, and stilled. Amarwen followed suit, craning her head back to mark the position of the constellation.

"I wager," she said quietly, "You cannot name them all!"

Halvarin laughed at this and set out to prove her wrong. So passed the afternoon with the two friends weaving around each other until, at last, they settled in. The pair sat, legs dangling over the edge of the uppermost balcony between the marble columns supporting the balustrade.

"And where did you change over?" Halvarin inquired, having learned that Amarwen and her father had switched from an ocean going to river vessel for the final leg of their journey to Osgiliath.

"Minas Anor," Amarwen said and laughed as she shook her head, "Adda insisted on taking our ship as far as the river would permit. He will not contemplate setting foot in Pelargir."

"Why is that?"
Halvarin asked and Amarwen shrugged, dangling her legs slowly back and forth.

"He and Amme both say it is a wild place, perilous," she answered, watching the sunlight fall in thick shafts that slanted across the library - tiny silver motes dancing within each.

"That is not how I think of it at all," Halvarin remarked with a slow sideways grin, "I suspect it is their daughter and not Pelargir that gives your parents pause."

Amarwen smiled at the statement and sighed happily. Together they sat in companionable silence, listening to the library around them.

"When do you think you will next be able to come to Edhellond?" she asked and beside her Halvarin made a noncommittal sound.

"I wish I knew," he sighed and then confided, "There is a strangeness between our fathers. Have you noticed it?"

Amarwen paused at the question for as far as she was concerned, the oddness lay entirely with Calimir. He had been abrasive and rude to her for no reason she could discern and some of the suggestions he had made were scandalous to say the least. Treasonous, very nearly…but she could hardly say to that Halvarin.

"Yes," she instead said and looked to where Halvarin sat , "Perhaps they have a great deal on their minds."

"Perhaps,"
Halvarin agreed and then looked to her, "Whatever it is, I hope they put it aside soon."

"As do I,"
Amarwen answered and then smiled, "For the sake of their friendship if nothing else. But, then, what would the Guild be without its politics?"

The afternoon breeze teased a dark tendril of hair from Amarwen's coiled braids and she turned her face away into it, leaving Halvarin to study her profile for a moment longer.

"When will you quit Osgiliath?" he asked and Amarwen tucked the tendril away before she turned her face back to his.

"Whenever Adda has concluded his business…though what business is unfinished I am not certain," she replied, for the business that had brought them all this way had been concluded last night. The betrothal was off and that was that.

"What of you?"

"I have a fortnight before my studies resume."

"Will you spend it here?"
Amarwen asked, ideas already popping into her head until Halvarin shook his own.

"I'll return to wild, dangerous Pelargir and see what deck experience I can gain. Every little helps," he said and she saw something light his eyes, "I mean to graduate with a commission, Ami, if I can."

"I think you can, Hal,"
Amarwen replied, squeezing his forearm, "I know you will!"

The smile he gave her was boyish, full of gratitude and appreciation and it made her heart melt. The sea was his mistress, her parents said, and she knew this to be true. Nothing made Halvarin's eyes light like the sea could…but why could it not be her mistress too? Why did he have to leave her ashore? Erendis' decision need not be her own.

"A sovereign for your thoughts," Halvarin said and Amarwen grinned at him.

"You go flashing sovereigns about and a certain Princeling of the realm will snatch it from you in a thrice! How is it possible to lose so much so quickly?"

"I do not know,"
answered Halvarin with a shake of his head, "And I was there…although…I suspect Vinyarion may have been distracted by his companions."

"This is the first I have heard of these companions,"
Amarwen teased, prompted by the grin on Halvarin's face, "Just why were they so distracting, Halvarin?"

"I was not distracted,"
he protested, his knowing smile saying otherwise.

"You will have to do better than that," Amarwen sniffed playfully.

"I must do no such thing," Halvarin maintained and Amarwen arched a brow at him.

She inquired loftily, "Are you so certain about that?"

"Yes,"
Halvarin said emphatically, "They were Vin's companions, not mine."

"Well,"
Amarwen relented, "That sounds about right. Vinyarion would flirt with anything with a pulse, I think."

Halvarin looked aside to Amarwen, "And if they were my companions, what would you think?"

Oh, that was a provocative question and well did Halvarin know it, Amarwen thought to herself.

"I'd be so very…disappointed, Halvarin."

His astonished reaction was immediate and Amarwen's levity vanished. Had she meant that, she wondered, and why did Halvarin look so surprised? Silence fell between them again, but it was not as quiet as the last one for both Halvarin and Amarwen's thoughts were busy. When their eyes met again, they shared a shy smile before Halvarin shook his head and considered the angle of the sun.

"Twilight will soon come," he observed and Amarwen sighed for this was true, "I will walk you back."

Amarwen readily agreed for it meant a little longer in his company and she did not know when next their paths would cross. Perhaps tomorrow, perhaps months from now.

"I wish I could study as you do," Amarwen sighed and beside her, Halvarin smiled fondly.

"You'd find it very dull," he said.

"Duller, say, than transcribing trade negotiations or reviewing a contract of sale," Amarwen inquired, "Or, taking inventory of the larder and calculating how many sacks of oats and flour will be needed for the next season? Or-"

"Enough!"
Halvarin laughed and affected a yawn, "You're putting me to sleep as I walk."

Amarwen swatted at Halvarin as he affected another yawn, "You'd not be nearly so tired if you observed decent hours, Hal."

"But where is the fun to be had in that, Ami?"
he returned and then, after a few steps, "You know, I think things would be a lot more interesting if you came to study at the Guild. You could smuggle your own books out of the library, for one, and pay the fines when they are not returned on time for another."

"I promise to have these books back to you on time. Why, I'll probably have read them all by the time we have docked at Edhellon."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Osgiliath - Mariner's Guild Halls

"Therald! Not often are you are seen Guild Halls of late," Calimir called, hailing him just as he gained the corner.

He was impatient, for he'd left Amarwen on her own and there was no telling just what she might be up to. Particularly with Calimir's son in town.

Therald turned back to find Calimir hastening towards him, "You look quite recovered, I must say, after a late night."

"The tide waits for no man,"
Therald replied, "And my evening was not as late as some."

He'd already heard talk that young Prince Vinyarion had been out and about in the city well after the feast had concluded, with Calimir's son in tow. And then there was the question about how Calimir had passed his night. Over the years the rumours on that front had not abated.

"I am eager to return to my daughter," Therald said.

"I imagine so. It is said she had quite the eventful night!"

The last thing Therald needed was the rumour mills of the court churning over scandal concerning Amarwen. Slipping away from the feast with a Shieldmaiden and then returning, laughing, with Halvarin and Vinyarion had been noted.

He pointedly observed, "Events your son was up to his ears in!"

Calimir smiled at that, "Is that any surprise, Therald? He is a young man, after all, and your daughter all but throws herself at him at every opportunity."

Therald pushed towards Calimir with a growl that prompted the other man to throw his hands up to placate him.

"Halvarin is no fool. Of that I can assure you! His studies are too precious to him to imperil over a…" Calimir coughed discretely and adjusted his wording, "Over any man's daughter, no matter how comely."

"You would do well to quash any unseemly rumours concerning your son,"
Therald said stiffly, still angry, and again Calimir smiled.

"I will look to my son," he answered archly, "And leave you to look to your daughter."

Therald's fists closed as he watched the other man stroll away. Calimir would do better to consider his own conduct before commenting on the business of others. To cuckhold a crown prince was one thing. A king was quite another and Valacar was not long for this world. Of that, Therald was certain given how weary and aged the old king had appeared last night.

The sooner, therefore, that Amarwen's betrothal to Aldamir was confirmed the better for once the king passed, other matters would overtake the throne and he did not want his daughter's betrothal shifted to Aldamir's elder brother. Ornedil was a good man, Therald supposed, but he did not want Amarwen married to him. He was too likely to tire of whomever he took to wife and Therald did not want his daughter to bear the inevitable humiliation that would follow.

He passed a hand over his face and set off once more, determined to locate his daughter and do what he could to speed this courtship along whilst they remained in Osgiliath. Once they had quit the city, it would be more difficult still… unless he could arrange something…

~ ~ ~

Last edited by Elora Starsong on March 13th, 2018, 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 384 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 24  Next