Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2017, 9:56 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian was silent as he and Mariel walked back to the inn. He wasn’t too sure what all he experienced, and was first to admit he didn’t know what all wizardry there was in the world. But it appeared Mariel had some hidden sense and power. Maybe she could explain it all to him sometime.

”I’m not sure what to think of it m’lady. The place was creepy and I was glad to leave it. But it appeared the old glazier and you had some connection there. Could you tell me what you experienced?”

As the approached the inn, Durian paused at the edge of the wood across the road. He said,

”I think I’m going to wait here for a while and watch. You can go on to the inn if you wish, but I need to keep watch, for something is not as it seems.”

He looked warily about, and then found a log in some scrub where he could sit well hidden. He was sure the Rangers had moved on, but they would have left someone to watch. He said,

”Maybe you could go in and see who all is in there, and let me know later if any of the Dunedain remain. I will be right here.”

He gave Mariel a concerned look, then went back to watching down the road.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 4th, 2017, 8:20 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel furrowed her brows in confusion, then shook her head, but before she spoke her immediate reaction, which was 'no', she looked at his profile and wondered.
What wasn't he telling her? What didn't seem right about the inn?
As she studied the intensity in his face, she sighed and spoke softly.
"Durian, I do not want to be left in the dark. Please, tell me what it is you sense about this Inn."

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 8:20 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian sighed as he thought. He said,

”You remember the Dunedain Rangers that had stopped here when we were leaving. I was fortunate that Indrean did not recognize me, nor any of the others.”

He looked at the road and the recently ridden horse that was out front. He then told her,

”That was his horse. He is there. And I suspect there is another there as well.”

He looked up at Mariel and said,

”And there is something lurking… What it is I do not know. I was going to watch for a time just to make sure.”

He held her eyes in his as she had many questions she wanted to ask, but his gaze softened and he said,

”If you wish not to go in and see who is there for me, then stay here with me for a while if you wish...”

As he said that, his gaze left her eyes and looked over her shoulder into the far distance.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 5th, 2017, 8:50 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel's breath caught in her throat as he held her gaze; she could see the deep concern in his eyes, and knew that if he was going to stay out here and keep watch, then obviously something was amiss.
But could she trust him to come after her if her husband approached?
Her eyes squinted slightly as she studied the lines in his face, then after a moment, she took a breath and made her decision.
"I will go in for a few hours and see if I can't get any information back to you tonight."
As she spoke, she pulled out the band of leather holding her hair together, causing her loose golden curls to fall over her shoulder and down her back. Then she pinched her cheeks and loosened her dress so that the shoulders of the dress would drape off of them.
She then turned to Durian straight on and was suddenly struck by how handsome he was. Her heart skipped a beat before she made him promise something.
"As a soldier of the King, it is your duty to protect all law-abiding citizens, yes? Can I count on you to protect me?"

PostPosted: November 6th, 2017, 5:38 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian watched her as she adjusted her look.

”Yes, m’lady, I will be there should you need me. You do know that do you not, Mariel?"

She still looked unsure, and Durian stood and said,

”Fear not m’lady. All will be well. This is only a taste of what is to come for you and I.”

He said as he touched her shoulder. He looked at the inn then back at her. Taking her hands into his, he looked her in the eyes and said,

You need not stay in there too long unless you think it necessary to do so. I just need to know if there are any other Dunedain Rangers there. Once you know, you can either sit at that window there, or if you can, come out the front door and stand on the porch. Either way, stretch your arms up over your head and hold your fingers up to give me a count. I will arrive at the door shortly thereafter.”

He gave her hands a squeeze and he smiled slightly as she looked back at him. He gave her a nod, knowing she could do this.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 8th, 2017, 11:16 pm 
Elf
Elf

Freja leaned on her pommel and eyed the Inn sceptically. If this one only served wine or that watery swill they had the hide to call ale up here, she would not be accountable for what followed next. A creak of leather, from her saddle and armour both, turned her attention next to the stables. Odds were, she thought to herself, that any belongings she left there would be stolen at some point. Though, any fool bandit who thought her horse was a good idea was going to learn the hard way that a Shieldmaiden's horse was not to be tampered with. A wicked grin flickered as her decision was swiftly made and she gently urged her steed forwards.

She swung down from the saddle with smooth ease, flicked the reins forward and made for the open stable doors. A youth soon appeared, his sandy hair unkempt but his expression eager. Freja narrowed her eyes at him for he had the look of Rohan but also Dunland and she was not sure which was which. For his part, the youth had the sense to swallow and duck his head before her scrutiny.

"I can stable your horse, mistress," he said, tone hopeful.

Freja shifted, tossing back several braids that had come forward. Their metal torcs clinked as the braids settled back into place.

"This horse will eat your face, boy, if you are not careful," she warned.

He looked up at that, warm brown eyes meeting her own blue ones, "Oh, I'll be careful. Promise."

"What's your name?"
Freja asked.

"Lochared," he answered readily, looking up at her properly again.

The lad had the sort of stature that, if properly fed, spoke of a significant reach and power upon the battlefield. Of course, she could tell just from the way he held himself that no one had even shown him which end of the spear was the pointy one. A waif, she concluded swiftly, and likely one in need of a decent meal. Did he work here, though, or was he stealing from the stables.

"Very well, Lochared," Freja said with a shrug, "I'll unsaddle him but you can brush him down and feed him. He could do with a wash too, if you've a mind. Have you ever handled a warhorse before?"

Lochared swallowed at the question but nodded, "Yes."

From his response, Freja thought it likely his previous encounter had not ended so well. Wisdom and knowledge never came easily though, and so she started forward to led her steed into the stables proper.

Lochared danced aside, for the ebony stallion was even larger than he had first seemed. The beast eyed him coldly and his ears flicked, as intimidating as the Shieldmaiden that led him. That was what she was, he thought, and not just any Shieldmaiden but a master. All seven braids, and torcs of rank too. What she was doing here, he could not say, but he could see that she did not arrive fully armed. Her plate was strapped to her horse along with her shield and spears and only a sword hung from her belt, swinging with her long rolling gait. In truth, he had thought that one such as she would dismiss him out of hand. His father's people had never been particularly charitable to those of mixed heritage. Certainly, from the way she had looked at him, she could discern his Dunlending descent. But for all of that, she had agreed to his tending her steed. A Shieldmaiden's steed. How much coin, he wondered, might be in that? And also, would her steed eat his face for it? He hoped not, for it was the only face he had.

As his thoughts ran, the Shieldmaiden had already set to unsaddling her horse. She moved with such efficient speed that he could only gape and soon enough she was done and approaching him again. Those eyes, he thought, were a ridiculous shade of blue and when coupled with the fiery hair, she was striking. She looked like she laughed, a lot, but there was also a grimness to her. She had known death and battle and if she was a master Shieldmaiden then she could visit no small degree of rebuke if he was overly bold.

"Are you listening to me, boy?" she asked, her tone impatient as she dug around for some coin.

Lochared blinked and realised his mouth was slightly open, "Ah, yes, Mistress."

"Five coppers for the night,"
she said, frowning as she fetched them out, "Another four if you wash him and he stays in his stall until I claim him."

Nine coppers?! Nine whole coppers? Lochared knew he was gaping again and did not care at all.

"Y-yes, Mistress. Of course!"

She sniffed at that and then pressed the five coins into his outstretched hand. Lochared blinked at them, scarcely believing his fortune and then she was moving past him with a shake of her head. Over one shoulder she had tied her plate and slung her shield, both of which looked rather heavy, and under that arm she bore not one but three war spears.

"Do you want some help with that?" he called after her, at which she spun about on one booted heel and stared at him.

Then she began to laugh, the rich sound uproarious. She shook her head, laughter bubbling out of her, turned back and continued onto the inn. Lochared rubbed a hand over his chin and turned around to face her gigantic ebony stallion. It was staring at him again. He closed his fist and edged towards it.

"You want a bath? I hope you like baths. I don't, but I can't stave someone's skull in with a kick when I'm grumpy," he muttered as he did so.

Freja was still chortling to herself as she pushed open the door of the inn with one foot. Such an entrance was necessary for she'd have to duck to get her spears through. The door swung wide and bounced off the door but she was already moving and she kicked it shut again behind her as she straightened. It was unusually quiet and two people, a man and a women, both peered at her in mild dismay. Perhaps the spears had something to do with that too. Freja smiled at both in greeting and then set to leaning the weapons against the wall by the door. Advancing on a bar whilst bearing a spear was something they frowned upon up here. Like a good many other things. When she turned around again, that dismay had not faded. These Northerners were so stern, she thought to herself and forced her cheer to remain evident as she made for the bar.

"Lodgings, food, and what's the ale like," she said upon arrival.

"You can't leave those there," said the woman behind the bar, pointing over to her spears.

"I don't intend to. That's why I want lodgings," Freja returned, smiling her best smile at the inn-keeper.

Movement behind her suggested one of the men had stood, chair scraping over the floorboards. The Shieldmaiden drummed her fingers on the bartop, not really inclined at this point to a wrestling contest. Perhaps later, after she'd washed off the dust of the road and had something in her belly.

The inn-keeper drew herself up and lifted her chin, "That will be ten silver talons."

Ten! At this rate, she was going to have to hire herself out to one of these grumpy Northeners.

"The ale had best be spectacular," Freja growled as she set the required priced down.

The inn-keeper swept the coins off the counter swiftly and turned away. As she did this, Freja peered into her coin purse. Aside from five coppers, four of which she'd promised to the Dunlending outside, it was empty. She pushed out an unhappy curse at this in growled Rohirric and then looked up as a tankard was set onto the counter along with a key. Freja collected both, pocketing the key and sniffing at the foam. Then, with half a shrug, she turned about to study the commonr room, sipped at her ale and then sipped again.

"That's actually tolerable," she said, her doubt fading into a relieved smile that she threw over her shoulder to the inn-keeper, "Well done. You should be proud."

With that Freja strode forward to select a chair, sank into it and propped her dusty boots onto another. It felt beyond good to stretch her legs after a long day in the saddle. Meanwhile, back behind the counter, the inn-keeper looked over to the small armoury newly established by the door. She looked back to the Shieldmaiden, who looked very much to be settled in and without any immediate intention of disturbing herself to relocate said weaponry. The Shieldmaiden noticed her regard and lifted her tankard at her.

"Proud!" she called, nodding generously at her and even winking.

What was happening to this place?

PostPosted: November 9th, 2017, 10:56 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Outside the inn a stranger hobbled up the path. He was young, strong, and some may even say handsome. His strength betrayed him, however, as he limped heavily. His youth seemed n on-consequential as he breathed heavily along his way. His looks... They were not but a mere mask to hide his true self.

Slowly he pulled himself through the doorway, his left foot dragging and his right arm tucked close to his chest. He looked around the inn, making his way to the front counter where drinks were served.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 12:03 am 
Ent
Ent

Mariel heart raced and butterflies filled her stomach as Durian gently touched her bare shoulder, but when he looked into her eyes, she felt hopeless-as if he had cast a spell over her-but safe. Although he was a mere stranger to her, she felt drawn to him, and indeed, if she looked further into her heart and past the sorrow and doubt, she knew that he was the one she wanted to love.
A red color rose to her cheeks and she let out a nervous breath, then smiled and winked at him.
"I will do as you say, sir Durian...and who knows, perhaps I can get some information from the sisters, hm?"
As she said this, she raised a brow then gave his hands a squeeze before turning on her heel and walking back into the tavern.
Once she stepped foot inside, she was surprised to see weapons by the front door, followed by a woman...or rather, shieldmaiden calling out a word and winking at the barmaid. Mariel noticed her hair and wondered suddenly about why a shieldmaiden would be here at the same time as the Rangers...had her husband sent this woman to...arrest her?
Her stomach dropped at this thought, but she decided to push it away for the moment-for now, she was on a mission. Mariel heard someone crying out in pain- but it was coming from the back room.
As she walked through the common room, she noticed that most of the Rangers had left, all save for three.
Two of them-one she recognized as the captain-were sitting in a table in the corner, speaking in hushed tones to one another. Where the other one was-her observations were disrupted as another cry of pain followed by shushing came from one of the rooms in the back. Unable to bear the sound, Mariel ran back to the furthest room and knocked on the door.
Indrean, the younger Ranger who had nearly recognized her as her brothers' sister earlier on, answered the door. His hands were bloodied and he wore a worried expression on his face.
"I...I'm sorry to disturb you, I ...I just heard crying and..."
Mariel was cut off as Indrean went back to the boys' bedside and assisted a woman as she cleaned and healed his wounds. From the look of them, they were severe and were not wounds that could be taken care of without proper care....so she must have been a healer.
The healer looked at Mariel and shook her head.
"My Lady, I don't know who you are, but I need you to come here and press down on his wound while I go fetch some supplies I need from the barmaid. Please, it is only a matter of time!"
Hearing the intensity and severity in her voice, Mariel quickly went around him and placed her hands on the boys wound and pressed down, trying hard to ignore the desire to relieve herself.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Healer had left the two strangers and ran back into the common room, glancing at the newcomer, then doing a double take as she saw a young, and very handsome man hobble in. Her mind was in such a hurry that she barely even noticed the mans' injuries, but as she grabbed her bag, she stopped beside him as she ran back to the back room.
"Sir? Are you injured?" Her gaze shifted between this man and the back room.
"Forgive me, sir, but I have a young boy who I need to care for first. But if you are able to stay, please sit down and I will attend to you in a few minutes."

PostPosted: November 12th, 2017, 10:25 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

The young man looked at the healer, almost as if startled. He nodded, then. "Thank you."

He ordered himself a drink, only water. A lot of water. He found himself a seat and drank several cups of water. Then, as his thirst was quenched, he began to wash his left foot and right arm. Underneath the dirt were burns. Odd looking burns, but bad burns. He winced as he touched his injuries, paying no heed to the looks he might gain from the other patrons.

PostPosted: November 15th, 2017, 9:38 pm 
Ent
Ent

"Excuse me, sir." The Healer took a small bottle and a long piece of wood with an armful of fresh bandages then left, but not before quickly inspecting the mans' wounds. Her brows furrowed. They looked bad. But, she had seen worse.
It was going to be one long day.

Blood gushed from the boys' wounds as the Healer came back and looked under the already drenched cloth Mariel had held. She looked sternly at the two of them, then gave a kind, caring look at the boy.
"It's alright to be frightened...but you don't need to worry. I will save your leg and you will recover. But...first, I...I will need to set your bone straight, then I will wrap a splint around it. Now...I'm sorry, but...this will hurt. Here is a tonic for the pain and a piece of leather to bite down on."
The boy looked as white as a ghost, which was an expression that Mariel knew all to well. But she mustered up the courage and willpower and gripped the boys hand and pressed his shoulder lightly down onto the mat. Indrean followed likewise.
They both shared a knowing glance...and it was in this moment that she thought she saw recognition flash in his eyes. But he obviously couldn't talk about it.
"Ready?" The Healer looked at the boy, then shared a glance between Mariel and Indrean.
The boy nodded hesitantly then the Healer counted down from 3.
Soon, the boy arched his back and gripped her hand hard. His face was contorted in pain and tears dripped down his face. Mariel gasped and looked away from the boy, but she couldn't....it was...it was like she was being shown her brother's death for the second time. Once was enough....Mariel shook her head and shut her eyes, waiting for the Healer to finish.

PostPosted: November 16th, 2017, 6:57 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hilferin had thought the time at this inn was relaxing, not having to ride off here or there. He had eaten a fair amount, and made eyes at the serving wench named Dawn. He also noted the blonde who had come in and went to work with Indrean and the healer woman. But it was the shieldmaiden of Rohan that he paid attention to. He was sure she was the one who led the fierce shieldmaidens of Rohan during the war. His friend Dahias even married one of them… Vorda was her name. And Berendil was quite fond of this lady. Hilferen wondered where he was now. He looked over at Caila who seemed concerned with the armed woman, so he got up and went over to the bar. He leaned toward Caila and said,

”Be not too worried about this woman. Her skills in a fight is second to none, and I have an itching sensation that her skills may be of use should trouble find its way here.”

He wasn’t sure of his words gave Caila any comfort, but he gave her a nod and ordered another ale. He looked over at the shieldmaiden and when her eyes turned to meet this, he lifted his flagon in a salute to her. Would she recognize him as one of the rangers in Dunharrow? Maybe not. He didn’t go running off to watch the shieldmaidens train like Hanasian, Darhias, and Berendil. The fact she was here now, and in full battle dress, intrigued him. Did he dare to go talk to her?

~ ~ ~

Caila seemed stressed. The place had gotten busy, and it seemed she was running a healin g ward along with an inn. As much as she wanted to make this inn work, she missed her sister Caira. But with so many here, she worked to please and fulfil the demand of her customers, no matter what state they were in. But her help seemed to have gotten lazy. She called out,

”Dawn! I need table service! Lwelyn! I need some fresh water!”

Caila looked about, where was her hired help?

~ ~ ~

Durian watched as Mariel got to the front door of the inn, and as she looked back, he gave her a nod before she walked in the door. He sat back and thought about those he knew was inside and the two who had recently entered. Maybe it was why Caira and the men with her had not continued on to the Inn? He did not tell Mariel of them, for he did not want her to get cold feet and not venture into the inn alone. He needed her to do this alone. He needed her to be able to work independently from him, and this was the time to see it done. Durian could sense others watching nearby, but he did not know who. Did he miscalculate this move? Maybe. Right now, he was not sure, but he was willing to trust in Mariel, even if it seemed she was ready to sell him out to the rangers when they arrived earlier.

Durian backed away into the wood and started to work his way around behind where he suspected they were. He hoped he had enough time before Mariel came either to the window or outside, for he did not want to leave her hanging out to dry. He needed to nurture her trust in him if they were to have a good working relationship. He was somewhat sure that she would be safe in there or he would not have her go in alone. Durian paused at a thought that he could not be sure who all arrived while they were gone. But it was a chance they had to take.

As he heard feint voices, he slowly moved closer, getting near enough to be able to hear what they were saying. One man, who Durian would call the watcher, said,

“I know there are rangers in there. One went to Bree and brought back someone, a healer I believe.”

“How do you know that?”

Another man who looked like a Dunlanding asked.

“Because she fixed me up after that accident where I lost this finger, that’s how I know!”

He held up his left hand that was missing an index finger. He went on to say,

“And before you ask, I know there are others in there too. I been watching here a long time, since you two left the inn.”

A third man who stood by Caila said,

“So, tell us what all you saw since we left the inn.”

The watcher said,

“There was a company of rangers that came. Of those, most left, but I think two, maybe three, are still there. Later that day, two other men arrived from the direction of Bree. This was well after the old man left with the blonde woman, and a couple others. There was a young boy who seemed to work near the stables, and later a wounded boy was brought in. And just recently, this fierce looking Shieldmaiden came in, and another man looking like he was in a bad way walked in. Most recently, the blonde returned.”

Caira took notice of this. She said,

“She returned? Alone?”

The watcher nodded. Caira looked puzzled and said,

“When I was there, she went to bed with the man who said he was a ranger, but he acted a bit to strange. If he was a ranger, I doubt he is still in their service.”

Caira thought a moment as the man standing next to her asked,

”Maybe we could recruit this man to help us?”

Caira shook her head at this, saying,

”Maybe. Not sure how though. That blonde bint seemed rather fond of him, and as they left together. I don’t know why she would return without him. I suspect he is here, the question is where?”

Durian hardly breathed as he lay in the bushes listening. He worked his knife out and was ready in case they started to look for him. But they seemed to remain calm. Caira asked the watcher,

“The two men you said arrived while they were gone. What did they look like?”

The watcher described the sallow faced one who looked Dunlanding, and the other was tall with dark hair, and appeared that he was likely a Gondorian soldier.

“Ah yes, Wul… something, and Falhalas, a couple men I met in Bree at the Prancing Pony. I shouldered up between them as they talked at the bar. One was a bounty hunter looking for a woman who killed a guy at the inn, and the other appeared to be a soldier who said he was looking for his wife. They both looked useful, so for the price of a pint of ale, I offered up what I knew. They asked questions and I described both of the women that showed up when the inn opened. It turned out they were likely the ones they were looking for. They at least suspected enough to spend two days to ride out here and back. They wanted to charge off right away, but I convinced them of a more subtle approach. They agreed with me, especially when I mentioned there probably rangers here. I think they both preferred the stealthy way. Did they go in the front door?”

Caira looked to watcher who immediately said,

“No, they went around back. Couldn’t see them after that.”

Caira smiled and nodded and said,

“Good. They were wise. But if the one man saw his wife go in just now, no telling what he’ll do. Come on, let’s change positions. Don’t want to stay in one place too long.”

Durian pressed himself into the ground as they moved. One almost stepped on him and if that happened, he would be forced to act. But they passed and after some time, Durian arose. He was going to have to go to the inn, for Mariel was in danger of getting caught by her husband if what Caira said was true.

He went towards the place Mariel had left him, but he found Caila and her man were already there. The other two were nowhere to be seen. He would have to back track and go down the road a ways to cross in case Caira’s watcher was observing. He seemed to be good at it. He hoped he could get across and work his way back up the gully of the small stream that ran behind the inn down the hill. He suspected these two men would be there, but could not be sure. No matter, he had little time, and he had left Mariel hanging on her own inside the inn.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 16th, 2017, 2:05 pm 
Ent
Ent

Finally, the Healer had finished tying up the wooden board around the boys' leg then she glanced up at Mariel and arched a brow, knowing that look all to well.
"Miss? All is well...you can sit down now and relax." Then she looked at Indrean and nodded her head, then continued her work and within a few minutes, she had the boy cleaned up, her hands were cleaned and all of the soiled instruments and cloths were in a small pile in a large bowl by her feet.
She looked at the boy, who had slipped into unconsciousness, and looked up at the other two, who sat on the far wall. The woman looked as pale as a ghost, and the Ranger who sat by her looked only slightly distraught. The healer then walked out, carrying the bowl on her hip, then handed it to the barmaid and asked for a fresh bowl. When it was delivered, the healer walked over to the man with the burns and cleared her throat.
"Excuse me, sir. I can tend to your wounds if you'd like. "

PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 6:11 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

The burnt man looked up at the healer as she spoke. "I-I have no money," he told her. "I t-think..." He paused and seemed as though he were thinking hard. "Time," he finally said. "Time heals all wounds."

He looked away, back to his table. He fully expected the women would turn and walk away at his response but as the moments passed he heard no footsteps leaving.

He looked back and squinted, almost an empty gaze in his eyes.

PostPosted: November 17th, 2017, 8:54 pm 
Ent
Ent

The Healer was troubled somewhat by the man's empty eyes as they gazed into hers. Something had happened to him. The corner of her mouth lifted into a small smile and she shook her head.
"M'lord, you are injured and in the middle of nowhere....I'm not just going to leave you here unattended while I stay here and check up on the young boy back there." She pushed a stray piece of hair behind her ear and knelt down next to the injured man.
"Can you tell me what happened?"
She looked quizzically up at him after inspecting the burn wounds.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 12:21 am 
Elf
Elf

Why was that Ranger staring at her, Freja wondered as she inspected the bottom of her tankard. His manner was familiar in a way she had learned was not customary with such folk. And then there was the burned man. He had no coin, something Freja could certainly sympathise with, and an empty, bleak manner that she understood too well. Certainly she'd seen plenty of that herself, staring back at her from the mirror, in the aftermath of the Pelennor. A strange sense of kinship pushed at her and Freja debated whether she'd speak to the man further. Perhaps after that Healer was done with him and then Freja shuddered as she remembered the Healers of Minas Tirith.

The dark intrusion of memory unsettled her and so she shook her head to free her thoughts. Her brow furrowed momentarily as she considered the company she was keeping in this place. What she wouldn't give for some of her sisters now, she mused to herself. She missed their company but that was to be expected. She couldn't remember a time she'd been alone, before now. Before that thrice cursed Elf.

Were they here now they'd tell her she was a fool for what she was doing. Not that she needed to hear that from them. She'd known this was doomed from the outset. An elaborate way to die, if she was honest with herself, but better this than slowly wilting in Edoras. Shieldmaidens were not made to sit still and grow old. They were like flames, bright and brief and then gone. Such was their lot. So many of the faces she found herself missing now in this indulgent moment of maudlin were fallen. She should never have survived the Pelennor. Not when so many of her sisters had not. Not when their King had not. And she should certainly not be sitting here, staring at her ale, and feeling sorry for herself. She lifted the tankard and drained the last of it and then searched out the inn-keeper.

Judging from the harried expression on the woman's face, table service seemed out of the question and so Freja rolled to her feet. In any case, before she could get herself properly drunk she would need coin and that Ranger, he was still smiling at her. She adjusted the belt slung over her hips and approached him directly, nodding to the nervous woman that had just arrived at the inn. There seemed to be a lot of nervous women up here in the north. She'd yet to work out why that was. Perhaps she'd sit down with this one and find out. Maybe they had good reason to be nervous.

"Your name?" she asked of the Ranger without delay and watched him blink at being addressed so.

"Hilferin. And you?"

Freja answered in a low voice but the damned man leaned forward and asked her to repeat herself.

"Freja," she said succinctly, "Freja Fireborn."

"You led the Shieldmaidens at the Pelennor,"
Hilferin observed and Freja grimaced as she slapped down the dagger she'd fetched from her belt.

Hilferin's eyes widened at its appearance, noting the wickedly sharp edge gleaming at him, "That is good Rohirric steel, Hilferin. Worth a pretty sum."

When he realised she did not intend to use on him, Hilferin noticeably relaxed and his eyes returned to hers, "I do not doubt it, Shieldmaiden."

"Twenty coins,"
she said, nodding as he realised she meant to sell it, "It's worth a good deal more, mind you, but-"

Before she could finish the Ranger produced a knife of his own. This one was quite different to Freja's in style but there was something about the overall design that reminded her of a sword, a beautiful sword wielded by a terrible-

"Noldorin," he said quietly, breaking through her memories, "I have no need of better...and, if I might be so bold, I would be troubled indeed to take the dagger of Freja Fireborn for so paltry a sum."

Freja slapped her empty tankard on the bar as she watched the inn-keeper search out her absent staff. At this rate, she might as well tend tables...actually, that was not so silly. She'd been in enough inns to know how they worked. Tending tables couldn't be so difficult. The patrons would not be handsy with her, at least not for long (not if they wanted their hands attached to their arms), and she could work hard, learn fast and was strong. The pay would not be much, of course, but she wasn't going to get far with what coin she had remaining.

"Is it true what they say?" Hilferin asked as her thoughts rolled on.

"Depends," she answered, distracted.

"I have heard it said that you faced Naiore Dannan upon the battlefield-" Freja whipped about at this, ice shivering down her spine at the mention of that name but before she could say anything she saw the lad she had paid to tend her horse run past the inn windows.

Lochared's arms were waving, panicked. Freja's brow furrowed at that and then, when she saw him run back in the other direction pursued by a very large ebony steed, she swore in thick Rohirric. The Shieldmaiden made for the door with increasing speed, pushed through it and began to shout.

At the bar, Hilferin was left with her dagger and empty tankard.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2017, 6:34 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

The man looked at the healer, his empty gaze seeming to fill only slightly with question, then a brief flicker of sorrow before he shut off his emotions with a blink.

"I..." He looked as she brushed a stray hair behind her ear and knelt beside him. "I, uh... Got in a fight," he admitted. "I-I didn't want..." He shook his head, as if shaking off the memory. "I didn't want to, but they left me no choice."

His mannerisms seemed to normalize, finally. He looked the healer in the eyes and said, "I would be most grateful for whatever help you could offer."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 30  Next