Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: ~ The Inn By The Side Of The Road ~
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 6:35 am 
Elf
Elf

Freja eyed the man she'd dragged in and shook her head, "Don't thank me yet, Ranger. I've yet to locate that healer I had in mind for you. Swear I saw one here before."

Even as she spoke those words, Durian's eyes rolled and his knees buckled. Were it not for Hilferin, he would have toppled to the floor. She moved to support Durian's sagging weight, a decision clear in her mind.

"Table," she grunted, nodding to the nearest, "This can't wait. My horse is half soaked in his blood."

"You can't just sew him up here in the open,"
Caila objected, aghast and Freja eyed Hilferin for a moment.

"It's that or he bleeds out all over your floors, inn-keep," Freja replied and with Hilferin dragged Durian to the nearby table.

They set him atop it, face down and without delay, Freja tore apart the bloodsoaked corner of his shoulder. The cloth gave easily, wet as it was.

"You done this before, Shieldmaid?" Hilferin asked.

Freja lifted a shoulder and fished into one of the pouches she kept on her belt. Out of this she brought a skein of twine that, on closer inspection, revealed itself to be thinly stretched gut. To that she added a curved needle. On an untended table stood a half full glass of dark wine. She nodded to it and Hilferin fetched it across. Freja sniffed it, scowled with distaste, and then poured some over the needle she held. The rest she dumped onto Durian's shoulder, at which the Ranger flinched but did not otherwise stir.

"I think we should wait for the healer," Hilferin said as Freja applied pressure.

"I've done this more than once, Ranger. Why, it's a Shieldmaiden's needlework," she answered, offering him a fierce and sudden grin, "Hold him still. Sooner I close it, sooner his bleeding stops."

There was silence for a spell, Freja's concentration as sharp as the shade of her eyes or the dagger she had left with Hilferin.

"That's not bad," Hilferin said after a time, surprised, "But why do you cut it off after each stitch? It takes so long that way."

Freja paused before answering, knotting the latest stitch and severing the fine gut to start the next.

"Ever pull a thread?" she asked and Hilferin frowned before she added, "Better to pull one stitch than all of them."

"Clever,"
Hilferin observed and Freja grunted softly, "Not really. I can show you more than a few scars before I managed to unravel that simple lesson."

Another pause and it was done. Freja straightened just into time to see Caila standing with fists on her hips, "Just look at the mess you've made. Bloody men on my tables, wine all over my floors and that pile by the door that I told you not to leave there! I've good a mind to toss you out and keep your coin, Shieldmaiden!"

Well, she'd been tossed out of worse places than this. Better too, for that matter, and let no good deed go unpunished. Freja rolled her shoulders and threw back her hair. Torcs clattered as her braids fell into place. She eyed the inn-keeper for good measure, lifted her chin and then pushed out a sigh.

"Won't be the last time this happens, I suppose," she observed and with that made to collect up her gear by the door.

She looked back the once to where Hilferin stood by Durian's insensate form, "Ranger."

And with that she was through the door and outside again. Dusk was approaching fast. She'd need to find somewhere suitable to bed down...or she could keep warm by tracking that bounty hunter. Shouldering her shield, Freja stepped off the front steps of the inn and made for where she had left Béma.

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 9:55 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn had looked and saw Whisper in the pasture with some other horses. They seemed content, and she smiled when Whisper looked over at her. She then fought with the rope on the bucket as it plunged into the well. Pulling it up, she looked around for Lwelin so she could give this job back to him. Her hands were not used to the strain of pulling a rope that held a pail of water. She nearly let it drop before she figured out how to hold it with her leg while she gave her hands a stretch. She finally got it to the top, and found it only filled the bucket half way. She had to do it again. When the second pail was retrieved, she was sweaty and her hands were red. Why did she agree to work? She was not used to work. She was used to baths and a servant and having an easy life. But that had to end, it had to. The thought of her life before, despite the ease of labor was terrifying. At least here she was free, and making her own way. She lifted the bucket and started to walk to the back door, and tried not to splash too much over the side or on to her. Getting back into the kitchen, Caila pointed.and said,
“Go help that man to his room. I’m sure you know which one.”
Dawn looked over and recognised the man as Durian, the one who had been there when she arrived. She took a breath and took some of the water over to the ranger that lay on the table. She didn’t cringe too much from the blood, as it seemed there was a lot of it here at this inn. She sat the water bucket down and asked the other ranger that was with him,
“Sir, could you help him up so I can get him to his room?”
He nodded and the man on the table seemed to be awake and managed to get to his feet. Dawn gave Hilferin a nod as Durian held on to her. They walked slow across the room, and though Durian was wobbly on his feet, she managed to get him to his room. She now had to go down and clean up the mess.

― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 10:30 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hilferin didn't wait for the door to close before he pushed it open again. He called out,

"Hey, thank you for stitching up Durian. Do you know you have an ale on the bar getting warm! Should I give it to Durian? And your blade, I sold it. You want the money?"

He turned around and let the door close, not knowing if she heard him or would come back in. He went to see how Durian was doing when the serving maid came up with some water. Hilferin helped Durian up and off he want with her. Durian was married he thought, and wondered why he wasn’t back with his wife. Maybe the beating he took has something to do with it. Hilferin shrugged, surprised the maid didn’t ask about the knife again. He may have just bought himself a knife he didn’t need. He went back to the bar and said to Caila,

”My pardon my lady, but it seems my friends have made a mess of the place. The woman only did what was needed to be done.”

As she had yet to come back, Hilferin debated on drinking the ale. He also had a knife, wax, and will be ahead if that maid Dawn comes back and he gets her to buy his knife.

~ ~ ~

Durian knew the woman that brought him in had fixed his wound in a battlefield manner. She was good. He felt bad for bleeding all over Caila’s inn, but the maid was nice and gentle as she helped him to a room. Apparently he had rented it. Durian tried to clear his head as he lay down.

”Thank you miss. I seemed to of made a mess of the place. Do you know me? You seem familiar.”

The maid turned and looked at him as she stood at the door.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 6:21 pm 
Elf
Elf

Lochared peered through the stable doors fearfully for the Shieldmaiden was outside, all of her gear with her. Gear he'd not tended. Gear that included a number of items she could use very well indeed to his considerable discomfort if she were so minded. The shieldmaiden stood there, looking about. Her eyes, a shocking blue, raked over everything in their path from left to right to left again. His knees were shaking. Should he make a run for it? Was that what she was waiting for? Judging from the weight of that shield she carried as if she had been born with it on her arm, she could crack his skull like it was an egg with it.

"Who is she?" said a voice from behind him and Lochared yelped softly and then elbowed his sister as she shoved past him for a better look, "Loch? Who is she?"

"Trouble,"
Lochared answered, scowling at Rin, "Where have you been?"

"About,"
Rin shrugged, attention on the Shieldmaiden, "She looks...cross."

Loch rolled his eyes at Rin's understatement and then frowned when she sighed and straightened, pushing her pale hair back. Rin shuffled out of the way, no longer interested, and so Loch peered back through the doors. Sure enough, the Shieldmaiden had turned back. He remained there, watching, but she did not come out again. He sat back on his heels, puzzled for a moment, and turned to his younger sister.

"How much did you make today?" he asked and Rin shrugged once more.

"The rooms what weren't empty had nothing of value," she answered but she didn't look too perturbed so Loch guessed she'd found something - most likely cheese from the inn's kitchens.

He fished out the little hide pouch he kept on a string around his neck and emptied it's contents into his palms. Rin's eyes, a blue so stormy that they looked grey right now, grew wide with appreciation.

"How'd do that, Loch," she asked, her voice breathless with excitement.

Warm pride curled in Loch's belly at the question and he jerked a thumb over his shoulder, "That Shieldmaiden."

All of a sudden Rin's excitement shrivelled up, "She was your mark? Loch, give it back!"

"No! I nearly had my face eaten for my troubles today, Rin. I'm keeping them. They're mine."

"Ours."

"Mine! And I'm not spending none of 'em on cheese, Rin. Not a one!"

This was how two children, one roughly twelve summers old and the other ten, came to be scuffling about in the stables.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Did she want the money? What sort of fool question was that, Freja wondered as she shouldered back through the door. And what was this wax? She had wax. The best wax there was. Her re-entry saw her spears catch the doorframe and so it took some doing to return. There was a woman there with a bucket and mop, cleaning up the wine and the blood on the floor. Probably just as well, for Freja loathed the smell of wine. At the bar, Hilferin waggled a tankard at her. Warm ale? Before Freja could deposit her gear, the inn-keeper bailed her up.

"Room! Put it in your room! Not here!" Caila declared, surprisingly fierce for a woman that barely stood higher than Freja's chest.

She lifted a brow at her and then eyed the Ranger at the bar, "You'd better be there when I get back."

With that cocky smile of his, Hilferin saluted her and Freja turned away to locate her room. Getting down the hall without scraping the roof with her spears proved challenging, but she located the correct one and stowed her equipment and before long she was stalking back out to the common-room. Hilferin was indeed still at the bar and so she prowled towards him. Without a word he pushed a small mound of silver coins towards her.

"You owe me five coppers though, for the wax," he said at which Freja's eyes bounced up from the coins to Hilferin.

"That's my wax," she said as he waggled the container about.

"No, it's my wax. I purchased it."

"Not from me, you didn't,"
she returned and then frowned, "Who sold it to you?"

Hilferin grinned at her, "Who do you think, Shieldmaid?"

At the question, Lochared's face floated across her mind's eye. Freja growled a curse and swung away to locate the wretch and teach him a lesson he'd not soon forget but Hilferin caught her arm.

"Your ale," he said as he swung her back towards the bar.

"It's warm. I don't want it. What I do want is to take that thief's ears and-"

Again Freja was swung back towards the bar and she snatched her arm back to scowl at Hilferin, "What's it to you anyway, Ranger?"

"He saw an opportunity and he took it. Sound...familiar, Freja? Sound like something you might do?"

She sniffed at that and rubbed at her elbow, "You don't know the first thing about me."

"I know how you got that horse of yours,"
Hilferin returned, "Vorda told me herself, she did."

At that Freja sighed and then leaned on the bar, "That's not fair."

"It's true, though,"
he said and flagged Caila, "Another tankard, if you please. This one has gone warm."

Freja considered the marks and scratches on the wood until Hilferin pushed the wax towards her, "Tell you what, Freja. Sit here for a while, lift a tankard with me, and you can forget all about those five coppers."

"Fine,"
she sighed as a fresh tankard was set down, and pushed a silver coin across to Caila, "But I should warn you, Hilferin, it we're sitting here for a while then you'll need more than one tankard to fill the time."

Caila pocketed the silver quickly and eyed the pile on the bar, "Why, you've just purchased ten tankards at least with that one coin."

Ten?! The price of ale in Arnor was ridiculous but still, Freja shot Hilferin a devious grin, "Sure you want to do this?"

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 8:21 pm 
Ent
Ent

(Yeah...that was my mistake....I completely forgot that I had named her before. Oh well. I like Lyiana a bit better, so, we'll stick with that. :) )

Lyiana tried to ignore her racing heart beat as he began to unbutton his tunic, but she didn't need to anymore; for his scars on his abdomen caused her stomach to drop. She took in a breath and reminded herself what she was doing. She was checking for a broken-or cracked-rib. As she lifted her hands, she couldn't help but notice all of deep wounds he'd sustained in the past. Most of them seemed quickly stitched up, and she couldn't help but wonder if he was the one to sew them.
She took in a breath again and as she exhaled, she gently pressed her fingers into his ribs, until she noticed him flinch. It was then that she let her hands fall back into her lap and she dared to look into his eyes.
"You were right." Her eyes danced in his as she tried to refrain from asking him about his scars. "It's just a cracked rib, nothing more. All that I can give you is some herbal tea and suggest that you get some rest for a few days. Is...is there anything else I could help you with?"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mariel's heart raced as she glanced behind her shoulder to see her husband gaining ground behind her. Her gaze shifted back in front of her and she kicked her pony, spurring it onwards; but she quickly realized that this animal was not meant for riding long distances, especially when going up against a war horse.
She gasped in fright as her husbands voice called out, not far behind her.
"No! I will never stop running from you, you lying wretch!"

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 9:09 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn paused at the door and looked at Durian. She took off her apron and came over and tied it around his head. The shieldmaiden stitched up his arrow wound well, but his head still was bleeding some.
“That should help a little sir. I will return with proper means of care shortly. I need to get back to work.”
Dawn turned to go, but paused when Durian touched her hand.
“Thank you lady…”
“De… just call me Dawn.”
She quickly turned away and went out the door to the common room, to clean up the mess.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 22nd, 2017, 10:21 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kayden couldn’t help but notice that Lyiana seemed rather... distracted. He wondered, but he dare not assume. As she touched his ribs he closed his eyes and lay his head back, seeming to block out the situations. He hoped Lyiana couldnt feel his rappid heartbeat, but realistically she could probably hear it in the silence.

As Kayden sat his mind had drifted to his past but a pain from his cracked rib brought him back. He flinched, his hand reaching for a knife on his side. He stopped inches from the knife, his eyes gazing intently into Lyiana’s. His eyes, initially seeping out agression, glazed over with a sincere sadness as he realized his unnecessary reaction. The awkward moment was broken as the women spoke.

“Uh...” Kayden looked around, almost as if trying to think of something else he needed. “I think I’ll be good for now. If I could... I-I need to sleep.” He looked almost regretful at his own words. “Could you return to help change my bandages when they need it?” He requested quickly.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 7:57 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Hilferin looked at Caila and said,

"Ten? How much for the rest of that firkin"

"I'll sell it to you for two more silvers."

Hilferin sighed and looked at Freja. He smiled slightly and said,

"Let's do it."

Hilferin walked around the bar and gave Caila two more silvers and then hoisted the firkin up on to his shoulder. It was maybe a gallon down from full. Caila set the cradle at the end of the bar by the door, and Hilferin set the firkin down. They wouldn't be needing to bother anyone now. They can refill their own. As they had two full ones, Hilferin clashed his flagon to Freja's and said,

"Skoal shieldmaiden.'

~ ~ ~

"Mariel, that is harsh."

Fahalas said as he gained on her.

"We could have been rich had you just not run off."

He saw her look back, and remembered she was always quite fiesty. Mariel turned the pony and Fahalas rode past her. But turning, it would only prolong the inevitable.

~ ~ ~

Durian blinked as Dawn left. He lay back and stared at the ceiling. Some things seemed really familiar, yet it all was jumbled and didn't make sense. The war and all was clear. It was the recent memory he was having trouble with. But it was all starting to clear. Maybe some rest will help clear his head.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 8:18 am 
Elf
Elf

"Skoal?' Freja asked, incredulous as her riotous and utterly inappropriate grin spread further, "SKOAL!"

She cried, her voice throaty and fulsome, crashed her tankard back against Hilferin's and then tipped it down her throat. Her head fell back as she drank and it felt good, so very good. Tankard empty, Freja wiped the foam from her lips with her forearm and laughed at Hilferin's shocked expression.

"Well?" she asked, laughter bubbling up from deep within her still, "Second thoughts, Ranger?"

By way of response, Hilferin drained his own tankard in several gulps. Of ale and air both. Freja had already tapped another by the time he lowered his own and passed her tankard to him as she collected his empty one.

"Never mind," she generously told him as she filled the empty tankard, "Takes time to master the skill."

Sipping on the ale he had in hand, Hilferin choked on the statement and so Freja helpfully thumped him on the back several times as she offered, "Can teach you, if you wish."

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2017, 10:36 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mariel had nearly forgotten just how much she disliked her husband; for the past few days, she had been with Durian, and it was as if she was not married to Fahalas anymore. Unfortunately, for her, none of that was true. She was married to this foul creature, and now he was trying to get her to slow down and talk with him?
"No, you would have been rich! All you've ever thought about is yourself!" She shouted as she pulled up on the ponies reigns and turned him back towards the Inn. Fahalas sped by and as he did, she kicked the pony in the side, causing him to speed back to the spot where she left Durian.
"I'm coming back for you..." She muttered as she finally approached the place where he had watched the Inn from. But what she saw made her stomach sink in fear.
She couldn't find him.
"Duri-" She began to say, before she looked behind her shoulder to see that her husband was quickly approaching. Her eyes widened and she looked around in a panic. What was she going to do? Her eyes caught the line of trees not far ahead and an idea popped into her mind.
Kicking the pony in the sides again, she took off in the direction of the trees in the hopes that she could loose him in the forest.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lyiana tensed as Kayden reached for his dagger, but she quickly realized by the tears in his eyes that he had not meant it.
This sight broke her heart, and she opened her mouth to console him when his request brought her back to her responsibility.
"Of...of course, I would be glad to come back." She stood and hid a rising blush as she realized what she said, then quickly turned and made to leave.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 3:30 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Scrubbing the table with a brush, Dawn used some of the water to wash the soap and blood off onto the floor, and then used the mop to try and soak it all up. She had to make a few trips to the well for more water, and ended up on her hands and knees scrubbing the floor. When she finally was done and had mopped the whole floor, she went out back and dumped the dirty water and refilled with clean. By now Dawn was quite good at bringing the water up from the well. Her hands were red and swollen, but she did not feel the sting any longer. Coming in with the clean water, she set it in the kitchen and took a small pitcher of it to the common room to offer some to the patrons. The ranger Hilferin was busy drinking with the shieldmaiden, and Caila was talking intensely with her sister who had returned. She saw a strange man sitting by the stairs to the upper rooms, and she offered him some water He silently nodded as he watched her. Dawn felt creepy knowing his eyes were constantly upon her, but she ignored him. She took the last of the water up to Durian’s room. Coming in quietly, she could see he was asleep. She sat down on the edge of the bed and looked around for something to use for a rag. With the sleeve of her blouse torn from all the work, she pulled the rest of it off and dipped it in the water, and gently started to dab Durian’s head wound. He jumped awake and grabbed her wrists, looking at her with eyes of fire. Dawn at first pulled away from him, but then relaxed.
“It is ok sir. I am here to help you.”
Durian let out his deep breaths and relaxed his grip, laying back down.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 8:16 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Fahalas tired of the chase with Mariel, and when she started to run for the woods, he decided to hold up. He called out to her as she ran,

”I’m tired and thirsty. I’m going back to that inn for some food and drink. You can run to Bree if you wish, but I think Khorghar will be there by now. Should you come to your senses woman, return to the inn, I’ll be waiting.”

Fahalas turned and started to ride back to the inn. Chances were that Khorghar was in Bree. He himself preferred he find Mariel than himself, for he held them both accountable for the debt owed to him. If he catches her, his debt is paid. Anyway, she thought no matter what he said was a lie anyway. Hearing her words in his ears, he remembered why he made that deal with Khorghar in the first place.

~ ~ ~

Hilferin realized after the third flagon that he would be hard pressed to beat this shieldmaiden. He looked around and didn’t see Indrean anywhere, and shrugged as he didn’t have his back in whatever he was doing. He took a breath and looked Freja in the eye and they lifted their flagons and started to schoon. The empties hit the bar at the same time. Hilferin said,

”You seem to be slowing down shieldmaiden.”

He let out a loud belch after saying that as Freja started tapping herself another.

~ ~ ~

Dawn had awoken Durian from a deep dream and he scared her with his actions. He didn’t want to scare the lady. He just had a bad headache. He remembered her now. She had come to the inn and had problems with sobriety. She was in a panic about what had happened in Bree. He was sure he comforted her before heading off with an old guy and a blonde somewhere. He said as he looked up at the ceiling,

”I think I’m remembering things. You had blood on you when I first saw you. I hope you are well”

She tended his head wound and looked at his stitched shoulder, washing it gently. She nodded and even smiled slightly. Durian closed his eyes and thought. He asked without opening his eyes,

”There was a blonde woman, very friendly. Do you now her? Is she here? I think if I see her, I’ll remember more.”

Dawn didn’t say anything and kept cleaning his wound, and all expression had left her face.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 8:45 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Dawn swallowed when Durian asked about Mariel. Maybe it was a feeling of jealousy that flowed through her? Mariel was always very nice to her, helping her and even giving her a dress. Yet here, now it was she who tended Durian. Mariel had left the inn and had not returned. Dawn said,
“Yes, Mariel. You got to know her well in a short time. No, she left the inn not long ago. I don’t think she is back, at least not since I finished cleaning the common room.”
She had cleaned his head wound and tore off a strip from the hem of her skirt and gently tied it around his head. She said as she forced a smile,
“I’m sure she will come to see you when she can. Until then, how may I see to your needs sir Durian?”
Dawn blushed as she realized how forward she was being. Her dark hair fell down around her face as she tried to hide. She turned her head and started to stand up.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 9:38 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Durian looked at Dawn, and though she was about to stand, he took her hand and said,

"Miss Dawn, know that I am indebted to you for all you have done for me. You have helped me remember, and I wish to do what I can for you. I am at your service m'lady."

He let his grip relax on her hand, and smiled when she looked up at him.

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 9:42 am 
Ent
Ent

Mariel slowed the pony down as she heard that other wretched man's name: Khorghar. A shiver ran down her spine as she thought of the consequences that would arise if he caught her in Bree. That was something she did not want to make a reality, but what was she going to do?
If she went back to the Inn, she risked getting into her husbands' grasp, but she couldn't just stay out here...or could she? Wait her husband out?
She let out a breath and turned the pony around, urging him back to the Inn.
Her decision was made....she would go back to the Inn and find Durian and talk with her husband.
The path to the Inn did not take very long, and soon, she was dismounting and leading the pony back to the stables. After the pony was was brushed and fed, Mariel slowly walked back to the Inn, through the back door.
As she closed the door however, she thought she heard Durians voice coming from one of the rooms; relief washed over her-he was safe.
"Durian...?" She asked as she knocked on the door.

PostPosted: November 24th, 2017, 10:58 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Kayden sighed as Lyiana stood to leave. "Thank you," he said sincerely as she promised to return. He caught an awkward glance before she turned to leave. Given the way her statement could have been taken, he guessed he knew why.

"Liyana," he called after her, just as the door was closing. "I... Know you said money was not important.... But yours is the first kindness I have received in many years. I would be a foolish to leave that kind of a debt unpaid." He adjusted himself painfully in his chair and looked to the floor for a moment. "I,uh, don't have money. I will repay you, though. In whatever form you have need of. I'll just need time to heal."

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 469 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 30  Next