Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 12:09 am 
Vala
Vala

Tomos laid in the dark musty cart for what seemed an eternity. He had managed to shake the burlap bag off his head, but it did little to illuminate the windowless chamber. Sweaty, aching, and bound hand and foot, Tomos was at a loss. How could he escape from this? He couldn't, that was the answer. But he kept searching for a way, his muddled mind scrambling for a solution that just didn't exist. Even when the cart stopped and he was roughly pulled out he struggled, trying to jerk his way free. He earned himself another blow to the stomach that left him gasping for air.

Tomos was dragged underground to what could only be a prison. The dank moldy odor was no better than the cart, and much more chilly. Rough dark stone dominated the prison, punctuated by harsh iron bars and a couple weakly flickering torches. The prison was completely silent save the shuffling footfalls of the guards and him. From behind the bars prisoners stared at him with large sunken eyes. Their shriveled faces were gaunt, hopeless. They were beaten men, broken in spirit and body. Nothing more than empty shells. Tomos shook in fear of the long painful torture that would slowly suck away his soul and leave him dry and empty.

He stumbled, caught up in dread, but was violently pushed forward into an open cell. The prison bars swung shut behind him with an ominous clank. Tomos stumbled to his feet, glancing around his cell. It seemed to be empty, at first glance, but the prison was badly lit and his eyes still adjusting to the dark. There! Deep in the corner, hidden by shadow, was a hunched figure. Tomos shuffled forward to get a better look, and then gasped in surprise. It was Keith!

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 18th, 2010, 4:31 pm 

Keith lay curled up in a dark corner of his cell. He hardly seemed to move except for the laboured heaving of his chest. He was plagued by his stinging wounds and feverish dreams. Vague visions and faint voices kept him from sleeping. He hardly registered how the door if his cell opened and another man was thrown in. Upon hearing the sound of footsteps he opened his eyes, disoriented. A dark figure hovered above him, a man.
"No.." he murmured, his voice filled with some panic as he suspected the man to be a guard. "I told you whatever I knew, I swear.."

----------------

Absent-mindedly Waverly got up from her seat and started to pace through the room. Rose's news had shocked her and the familiar feeling of fear welled up in her stomach. For a moment she panicked, as she thought of all men and women, who'd been at the meeting. Their fates remained unknown. She stared out of the window and let all those thoughts rage through her mind, but then suddenly she turned and looked at Lilith.
"We have to go now.." she said determined. "We cannot change anything that happened this afternoon," she continued to explain herself, attempting to keep her voice from trembling. "Whatever happened, happened. Haven and all the others are grown men and they can take care of themselves."
She glanced from Lilith to Rose. "We must leave, this moment they will expect us the least.."

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 2:09 pm 
Vala
Vala

Tomos quickly dropped to his knees beside Keith, a wince on his face. Keith's plea, full of fear and panic, struck Tomos to the heart and left him feeling ill. "Keith, its okay" he replied, "Its me, Tomos." What had they done, to make a man like Keith so broken and fearful? In this dim light, Tomos could only barely make out Keith's face, but what he did see scared him. His eyes were sunken and hollow. He seemed thinner, not only in flesh but also in spirit. He looked so much older, so gaunt, like the face of an old man that has seen too much. He couldn't help but stare at what had become of Keith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 19th, 2010, 6:07 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

(We can. That might be better than you playing Waverly and Keith all things concidering...)

Rose could barely stay still in her seat as she watched Waverly pace. Then something she said froze the redhead in her spot.

"Wait, what?" she said, standing, surprise written on her face. "Go where? What are you going to do?"

Something in Waverly's voice and demenour told Rose that she had been planning something. And after a moment it became obviouse what it was and understanding dawned on the young adult's face.

"You're going to go and try to save Keith, aren't you? Behind Haven's back? But we were planning a way to break him out," she said, slightly confused why Waverly would go behind her cousin's back like that...

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 22nd, 2010, 9:46 am 

[ Okidokie.. I'll send you a pm with some ideas I had considering their rescue plan ;) ]

It's okay.. It's me Tomos.. That name sounded so familiar. As if he'd heard it before in a dream or a faint memory.. Then suddenly it dawned to him. "Tomos?" Keith repeated, disbelief audible in his voice. With a grimace he tried to sit up, cluthcing his arm against his chest.
"How did you get here?" he asked with a hoarse voice. The horrible thought occured to him that the King's men had found the Shadin, because of him. He had talked.. betrayed them..
"The others.. are they..?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 26th, 2010, 8:35 pm 
Vala
Vala

Tomos swore harshly under his breath as Keith struggled to sit up, weakly clutching his chest.
"The others..are they..?" the question came out hoarse and choked. Tomos grimaced, replying
"I..I don't know." What had happened? The fight seemed to be a blur in his memory. He remembered pulling out his knife, trying to fend off a guard...Rose and Anne slipping through a hole in the barn wall...yelling, Haven shouting "Scatter!" Had anyone else been taken, or, dare he wonder, killed? The flashes of memory were vague. He was certainly the only one in the cart, but in the rush between the sudden attack and the burlap bag being thrust over his head, he couldn't recollect the state of the Shadin.
"We had moved into the city" he continued, after failing to sort through the jumbled memories of the fight. "We were planning to rescue you, and plan a move on the king. We were taken in by various people who were for our cause. That left us scattered around the city, I guess, and closer to the enemy. But we were right under his nose. At a meeting we were having, to discuss our plans, we were ambushed. The king's guards came. I fought, or tried to. Not even a single guard scratched, and they took me alive. The rest escaped, I think." He glanced at Keith from the corner of his eyes, trying to gauge he reaction. Some rescue party this was. "I'm sorry" he murmured.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 7:49 am 

Keith listened to Tomos' words, fear stirring in his stomach. Guilt welled up and seemed to spread through his body like poison. He wanted to ask for Waverly, whether she'd been present at that meeting, if she had escaped, but he could not speak those words. He could not suppose that something had happened to her. The absence of news, bad news, had been his source of strength for the past time. As long as he did not hear anything he supposed that the Shadin had been hidden and safe. Now Tomos was here, his hope had been crushed. Now that the King knew the Shadin had been residing in town he would hunt them down, one by one...
For a moment he closed his eyes and let his head rest against the cold stones. I'm sorry.. the man next to him said.
Keith opened his eyes, and a grimace appeared on his face. "No.." he said, "it's my fault.." His voice cracked. "I talked.. I didn't want to.. I couldn't.. the pain.." His voice died away and there was silence. Only at the thought of his questioning, the pain of his wounds seemed to increase. Keith looked away from Tomos; embarrassed. He had failed them all.. He had lost his honour..

[I will add Haven and Anne later ;) ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2010, 11:33 pm 
Vala
Vala

For a moment Tomos was silent, his jaws clenced shut with emotion. Whether that emotion was fear, anger, or sadness, or all three at once, he could not tell. "Its not your fault, Keith." he finally managed to whisper. His voice, though soft, was thick and husky. He was silent again, trying to collect his buzzing thoughts and form them into words. "We should have rescued you. Its our fault, for leaving you in this cell, to be...to be tortured." He spat out those last words like a poison, feelings of shame and guilt welling up inside him. The rescue plan for Keith had only been a nagging concern back in the city, something that was planned at meetings but never really finished, an idea that kept popping up but never with much urgency. He had been forgotten, a mess swept under a rug. But now, sitting next to the man in the cold damp cell, seeing the pitiful man Keith had become under torture and the Shadin's neglect...Tomos couldn't look him in the eye. "We should have listened to Waverly" he murmured, his shame pushing the words out before he could stop them. For a split second he was quiet, wishing he could take the statement back. Explaining it would only further make his guilt stronger. But the words dangled, begging an explanation. Tomos continued. "She wanted to rescue you as soon as we got to the city. It was all she ever talked about.. We should have listened..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 6:41 pm 

[ Perhaps it's an idea to let Haven run into Ronin? If Mae is still around? :) ]

How long Anne had sat in the barn with only the dead as company, she could not recall later. Her head spinned with emotions and it seemed to have drained all the energy from her. It was not until a good hour later that she realised that she could not stay there forever. Somehow noone had entered the barn just yet, but when that happened she would have some explaining to do, as both there had both the Shadin and the Royal Guards had left their casualities.
She had to leave; now. Where? As she got up and left the barn, Anne tried to think clearly what options remained. There were hardly any aqcuintances whom she knew, that could have another mouth to feed. Anne wandered down the streets, while rain staretd to pour down from the sky, slowly drenching her completely. But Anne couldn't care; she wandered around aimlessly, without purpose, lost in her own emotions.

------

As the sky darkened and the clouds emptied themselves over the city, Haven Maverick was also making up his mind on what to do. The attack had come as a shock, their secrecy had been broken and members had been killed or taken. It had been a great blow to Haven personally as his leadership had failed. His pride had been bruised. And somehow, when he walked through the pouring rain, he couldn't shake off the odd feeling that that girl, Anne, had something to do with it.
Rage welled up inside him as he thought of the possibility that they had been betrayed. Whoever was responsible for this he vowed, would pay. They would pay dearly for this.
Pulling the hood of his cloak further over his dark hair, Haven tried to form a new plan. He could not go back to the barn, for it surely would be guarded. He needed to check on his cousin, whom he loved so dearly. He could never forgive himself if anything had happened to her.
He turned around the corner with a swift pace, but then bumped into a tall person. A familiar person. Haven looked up in surprise: "Ronin?"

--------

A small smile appeared on Keith's face as Tomos mentioned Waverly's name. So she had discarded Haven's order to forget about him. Perhaps she still had feelings for him. He could picture her clearly when they had lived in LaKirem in better days. Her golden hair, scarlet cloak, her stunning green eyes..
"Waverly.." Keith murmured softly and he looked back at Tomos, surpressing a shiver, attempting to hide how dreadful he actually he felt himself. With a half smile still on his lips he asked: "But how are you, Tomos?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 30th, 2010, 11:41 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

Waverly stopped in midstride, and turned to look down on Rose. Her words had felt like a knife to the heart, and she felt tears, but pushed them back. The younger girl couldn't possibly understand her strife. Her longing for the man she had grown close to. She pursed her lips stubbornly, eyes almost critically looking down at Rose.
"Yes. Do you want to know why?" she asked, and answered without a response. "Because for all my brother's talk, I saw little action. All those meetings, and a rescue was only an after thought. Because of my cousin's lack of action it could already be..." too late. She couldn't say the words, tears starting to brim on her eyes. But she turned away so no one could see them.

Rose sat in her chair, shock making her body unable to move. So much had happened this day. And it was only noon. Her hand went to her lips, and she closed her eyes, strands of red hair falling over her dirtied face.
"I... I'm sorry," she whispered.

Waverly didn't turn back, but instead straightened herself, and willed the tears away. Her voice was shaky, but held that air of strength.
"Rose, I must save Keith. I already have a plan set out. Lilith and I will sneak in as servants, giving the guards wine with sleeping powder. Either you help us some way, though we do not have any servant cloths for you, or you stay away. Just please, don't try to stop me."

Rose looked back up at Waverly, and in that looming figure, saw the courage and stubornness that marked her the cousin of the leader of the Shadin. The woman who she had held in high regards for as long as she had known her. But she could see now, the thorn that was wedging between the cousins.
"I'm sorry Waverly," she said again, and stood, shaking her head. "I can't... but I won't stop you. Nothing I do will, I can see."
She made her way to the door, her heart still beating fast. She stopped with her hand on the handle and spoke over her shoulder.
"But whatever you do, don't stay here. Guards will come and no plan of yours will help. I..." she trailed off and seemed like she was going to say more, but she slipped out the door.

I have to know what happened to the others she thought, her thought going to Tomos, and the last she had seen of him he was struggling in the barn with the guards. Rose started walking through the streets, looking to see if she could find another member of the Shadin to find out what had happened...

~~~~~~
(time to bring back a character who has been in only one post so far!)

The red clad figure had watched all that had happened from his tower window. He watched things unfold with intruige. He could only guess the plans going through all the heads now. Well, most he already knew.

Like that of the king's. Vincent had been the one to offer the attack of the Shadin's meeting. It had been one of his spies who had found the Shadin and their homes. It wasn't hard, quite the contrary, it had been too easy. Vincent had been disapointed in Haven.

But it was also one of Vincent's men who sold the girl the servant garb, and another who sold her the wine, and a third to sell her the herbs. To the druid, things were mostly working according to plan. Mostly. The problem with people, is that they were unpredictable. No one can predict every man's moves, which is what intruiged the druid. He wanted to see what would happen next.

Vincent turned away from the window and started the descent to a lower level of his tower. For the moment there was nothing he could do but wait. Watch and wait for the rest to be played out...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2010, 1:04 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(Hey guys, I'm still here! I'll post soon I swear)

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2010, 3:14 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Lillith listened to the women speak. It was obvious that they were doing this for their loves and families, and she supposed that she was doing the same now. Ronin might be in danger. She and Ronin fought little and were always close. There wasn't much that escaped his notice and the thought that her figurative other half had been kidnapped for the sake of this city might just break her.

For the longest time she knew that they were fighting for the freedom of this city. Now that she was in it she wondered why. Lillith had been a true believer in this cause, but now that she lived here again she had begun to wonder if the city could be saved, if those in it had just been taken over by the tyranny and started responding to it with cruelty. Just whenever she was giving up something happens to make it personal, not just an idea. Now, there was nothing that would keep her away from her family. They would find Keith and Haven and Ronin.

"Right," she said quietly as Rose exited her home. "We should leave. Ronin is not exactly a paramount of quietude, this will doubtless be a target within hours." She turned to Waverly, her own posture set though worry lined her face.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ronin felt a person slam into his back. Immediately he turned to face his supposed attacker, luckily he had the foresight not to swing his upraised arm. There, right in front of him, was Haven Maverick.

"Thank the Gods," he said under his breath, lowering his fist. "What was that back there?" He questioned. It was very rare that Ronin was serious, but when he was it made the situation overbearing, and he himself was even more terrifying considering he looked like he did have half a mind to use his considerable size against you. The lack of his normal spirit seemed to underline how desperate their situation was.

The black haired man looked around before dragging Haven into the nearest shop - whose door gave way with a sharp kick and was fixed by a well placed chair. They would be safe for a few moments. Most guards would check their houses thinking they would be getting their families. Ronin winced as he thought about Lillith. He needed to get to her, but there was no way to do so if the guards beat him to it and he was thrown into jail.

No, they needed to keep there heads cleared.

"We need to do something fast Haven," he said, although it was clearly obvious. "We cannae go home though. They'll be waitin' fer us. And if they find us they'll probably kill Lillith and Waverly. No sense in keeping them alive if they won't serve as bai, yeah?" The man was clearly thinking aloud, but his logic was sound. He hated that most, his hands fisted and he grabbed the nearest breakable object and promptly smashed it against the wall.

"Haven..." he tried to keep his voice from wavering. "If they have Lillith..." he didn't finish his sentence because he honestly could not put into words the amount of pain he'd inflict on anyone who touched his sister. "We need to do sommat'," was what finished his tirade instead.

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 4th, 2010, 8:25 pm 
Vala
Vala

A chuckle almost escaped Tomos' lips as Keith questioned him about how he was doing. How was he doing? Tomos should be asking Keith that question, not the other way around. This wasn't a game of "catch up on your friend's life." This was serious, no time for idle chat, Tomos thought at first. But then he glanced at Keith again, in pain, gaunt, sad. He needed something to take his mind off this dark cold prison.
"Well, apart from being captured, I'm okay." Tomos said with a forced chuckle. "A bit bruised too, but I'll heal." He was unsure if he wanted to tell Keith about his doings before being captured. Would it be a welcome relief of the stale prison, or would it just be taunting him with a freedom he'd been deprived of for far too long?

((Hey everybody! I'm going on vacation tomorrow for the entire week, so I probably won't be able to post. I'll catch up when I get back, promise!))

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7th, 2010, 6:21 pm 

"You don't know what it means to me to see a familiar face again." Keith said with a hoarce voice. He was silent for a moment, lost in thought and his own contemplations. The dark-haired man sat still, sometimes surpressing a shiver and said no more. The appearance of Tomos had filled him with guilt, doubt but also a tiny bit of hope. With the two of them, they might be able to work out a plan, a plan of escape. But this exciting idea was swiftly crumbled by Keith's own sense of reality. He was a wreck. The unhealed burns on his arms and back and the fever had bereft him of all his strength. He could never escape.. but he could give Tomos a chance..
"Listen, Tomos" he rasped, finally turning to his friend again. "I will not make it. But there is a chance that you can escape. I can help you with that.."

-----------------------------

Haven, quite relieved to see his loyal friend unharmed, quickly scanned his surrounding to see if anyone could hear him before answering. "It was a trap, a set-up by a spy." He threw Ronin a meaningful look as his hand went through his dark hair. "We have been framed and I swear to God, Ronin, that I will not rest before I sent them to their graves."

He followed Ronin into a shop on the corner of the street, and tried to blend in with the ordinairy folk as best as he could, but it was hard for him not to show his anger. When they had reached a quiet corner in the shop he listened to the sensible words of his friend. He nodded quietly in approval to his words. "You're right, we cannot go back. They surely expect us to do that."

Nausea overwhelmed him for a moment at the thought of his fair cousin and Lillith, at the hands of those brutal guards. Waverly, so young and fair, whom he had always tried to keep save.. What would they do with her? And Lillith, the sweet woman, whom had always adviced him well and meant more to him than he would dare to express.. How could he just leave them to their fates?

He looked up in shock when Ronin had taken a costly item from the shelf and smashed it against the wall. "Not here idiot.." he hissed under his breath and he quickly he grabbed the arm of his friends, dragging him out of the store.

Outside, the rain had stopped and the air was cool and smelled fresh. Haven decided to start walking, for their presence would be noticed if they stayed in one place for too long.
"Ronin.." he started after a difficult pause. "You know how much I care about your sister and Waverly but we cannot return. You must trust me.. I think that Waverly's absence on the meeting was remarkable. She might not have been at the house during the attack.."

He looked at his friend, who was torn between the love and devotion for his sister and reason. He placed both hands on his friend's broad shoulders and looked in straight in the eye. "Have faith, Ronin. I will do everything in my power to save them."

Suddenly, Haven was distracted by the flash of a familiar face. He looked up and ran after the girl who'd just passed them in the street.
"Hey you!"

Anne felt that a strong hand locked around her arm, and bracing herself for his anger, she turned to Haven, her dark eyes looking up at him in fear.

"Traitor.." The word came from his mouth in a soft hiss, full menace and intense hate. Overwhelmed by rage, Haven had to surpress the urge to hit the girl. "Tell me," he spit angerly. "Tell me that you had nothing to do with it, right in my face.."

Tears seemed to well up in Anne's eyes, affraid of this man's anger and hate. Helplessly she looked around for help, but the street seemed abandoned, save for Haven's friend. His tight grip on her arm was painful and his question inescapable. "I had to.." she finally sobbed. "They were going to kill my brother.."

Her trembling voice sounded frail in the night but Haven was not affected by it. Her confession seemed to inflame his anger even more.
He lifted his handto strike her in order to relief his anger as he silently vowed that he would kill her.. he would kill her if any harm was done to Lillith and Waverly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 9:45 pm 
Lady of Strife
Lady of Strife

(I would post ic but my comp is dead, my moms comp wont let me sign on, & my dads comp wont let me stay logged on enough to post. So I'm posting with my PSP and have a character limit. So can someone let me email them so they can post IC for me?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2010, 8:29 pm 
Vala
Vala

"No, don't say that. You will be fine." Tomos blurted in an gruff whisper. He glared at Keith, half in anger and half in sadness. He had spat out the first contradiction that came to his tongue, desperate to believe it. He grasped onto his words, trying to hold the beliefe in his mind. If he clung to it tightly enough, and shut out any other thought, maybe it would come true. Fr a split second, he believed his own words. But try as he might, the truth slowly slipped into his head, swarming his mind. There was a chance--a great chance--that Keith wouldn't make it. He was weak, sick. He wouldn't be able to fight. Could he even stand? Tomos turned his gaze to the stony ground, clenching his jaw until it hurt. Escaping from this prison just by himself would be nearly impossible. How could he even dream of accomplishing that with Keith? Tomos risked a glance at Keith, looked last the lump of ratty clothes and matted hair, to the man he remembered.

"I don't care what you say" Tomos muttered finally. "If I have to drag you out of here, I will." After all Keith had been through, Tomos knew he had to at least try. The was the least he deserved.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 747 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47  Next