Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Arabian Nights [STARTING]
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 6:09 pm 

This is loosely based on the series The Rose of the Prophet
----------------------------------------------------

For centuries, the gods worked together to keep the lands under their control prosperous and happy. They were rewarded for their efforts with the devotion of their people, and as long as they were loved and prayed to, they remained strong. Of course, being numerous and each with their own temperament, they had small disagreements. These were soon smoothed over, and life continued. More recently, the jinn noticed the gods became shorter and shorter with each other. Minor squabbles became full fledged arguments, with gods facing off against one another. Their attention turned from their duties, and their worshipers grew angry. As the humans turned from the gods, the gods' powers diminished. Only a few managed to hold on to their people, and, inconceivably, seemed to grow stronger. Little heed was paid to warnings by the god of the Sumbasi. Instead, the fighting grew fiercer. Torn by battles on two fronts, that with the other immortals and that between their followers, the gods sent the immortal jinn to bring the humans back to their faith.

Some of the jinn succeeded, but some (perhaps with a hidden agenda) caused the humans to break faith not only with their god, but with each other. War broke out across the land. It is now reaching the mountain cities of the Jazarat, a southern country bordered on the south and east by a large desert. Inhabited only by the Sumbasi nomads and their horses and goats, the two lands have never been exactly friendly. When word comes of war, Ar'Ulach, leader of the Jazarat, plans to gather an army. The high priest is visited the same night by a jinn from their god, containing a most unusual message.

Characters to play:
The gods: They are mainly involved with planning and instruction - they interact with each other and the jinn, but rarely with the common people.
------------ (Syneva)

The jinn: immortals who interact with the gods and the humans. They make mischief or help.
Kaliq - Nurrantiel
Cardea - Mae
------- Meldawen
Maysah - Nauriel

The Sumbasi (desert nomads): followers of El'shatar, god of the wilderness. Live in tents. Horse breeders and goat herders.
Anat - Lor En Estel
Najib Farraj - Mae
Zaafirah - Mae
Samarah Farraj - Will
Hanan Inas - Siara
Kalif Umar Amjah - Nauriel

The Jazarat (mountain dwellers): followers of Mor'oak, god of mountains. Live in cities. They range from farmers to city merchants.
High Priest Nasir a'Din - Nurrantiel
Malq Ar'Ulach - Nurrantiel
Da'ud - Nurrantiel
Ehmed Chander - Mae
Mayyadah Hadeel - Siara
Jrumba Histan - Siara

Members of the northern army: while not an important role right now, will grow.

-----------
RULES:
--No godmodding
--No one sentence posts
--Not everyone can be a jinn, and not everyone can be a human. Diversity.
--There are two races: humans and immortals. The immortals can take any shape or form (they're like genies) but they aren't elves.
--Magic is NOT done by anyone besides the immortals, and it is a limited sort. Not the gods', but they really only use their power against each other. ETA: Magic carpets exist, but are very rare.
--A note on the Sumbasi: they live in tribes, traveling as close knit groups. They distrust most people outside of these groups, even other tribes. They are a very patriarchal people. So females do not have power, except those the wife of the tribal chief may have. The Jazarat are not this extreme.
BIO
Name:
Allegiance: (only required if human)
Appearance:
History:
--Post "Dragonseeker" at the end of your post showing you've read all the rules.

Last edited by Nurrantiel Mashiara on June 4th, 2009, 12:44 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 6:36 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This sounds really fun, Nurshie. I'm so in! I'll have my bios up later. Do you have a limit on how many people you can play? And are the Sumbasi kinda like old school arabic countries with harems and stuff?

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Last edited by Maethoriel on May 27th, 2009, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 6:54 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

Oo, this sounds cool! I would like to take a human Sumbasi is you don't mind, Nurrantiel. I've never read or heard of The Rose of the Prophet though. Will that be a problem? Oh, and Dragonseeker. :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 7:27 pm 

Mae: No limit, just what you think you can handle and do well. And yeah, basically the whole thing is kind of old school arabic, with the Jazarat being the huge cities and the Sumbasi being the nomads.

LorEE: Awesome! No, it won't be a problem. It's basically just where I got the background info from. You should check them out though, they're awesome books. :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 8:39 pm 
Tolkien Scholar
Tolkien Scholar

I'll join, Nurr :) I don't know what I'll be playing yet - I think I'll wait and see what everyone else does and if you have too few of a certain race/type I'll do that. The jinn sound pretty cool, though, and I do already have an idea for one, so we'll see.

Dragonseeker.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 8:47 pm 
Vala
Vala

Sounds pretty sweet! Do you mind if I take one Jinn and one human?

Also, can you give us a bit of a description on the Jinn?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 9:27 pm 
Maia
Maia

I'd like to join! It sounds fun :D I think I'll wait a little bit, too, and see if we need more of a certain character before I join. Dragonseeker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 10:38 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

Location: In my library, unconvering dark and mysterious secrets...

I'll join, if I may? May I also be two characters?

Dragonseeker

Thanks Nurratiel, *Ennostiel*, PD, and Githoniel

Last edited by Lasbelingur on May 29th, 2009, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 10:46 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I'm gonna take a Sumbasi, a Jinn and a Jazarat. ^_^

Dragonseeker

Last edited by Maethoriel on May 27th, 2009, 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 10:51 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This looks amazing ^_^ I would love to join, with permission of course Nurr ;)

I'll grab a Sumbasi and a Jazarat. Try to have bios up by friday evening.

And all will turn to silver glass...

By Goldstrike

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 27th, 2009, 11:28 pm 

Make sure you read all the rules guys. ;) I'd love to have you all.

Naur: the jinn are immortal beings who have more power and magical abilities than humans, but are less than gods. They're like angels, for comparison's sake, but they have very distinct personalities. A lot of them like to cause mischief.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 2:43 am 

I think I would like to join ;) I think I'll take two Sumbasi's :)

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 28th, 2009, 4:04 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(I added a character. Hope that these are alright.)

Name: Najib Farraj
Race: Human
Allegiance: Sumbasi
Appearance: Tall, dark skinned, black beard and eyes. Has a very commanding presence like the rest of his family. He does not wear a traditional turban, but instead uses a soft cap to cover his head. He wears either bright clothes (normally saved for special occasions) or cream to offset the sunlight. Najib does not normally wear shirts, but just a vest as the youngest of a fairly large wealthy family he is forced to work outside the most, but this has often gained his father's favor.
History: He was born to one of his father's four wives by the name of Adila. Najib is the youngest of the five boys, and is often insecure feeling the need to lash out at others to prove his strength. He fears the gods more than anything as his mother told him stories of those who did not obey them. Najib is constantly trying to please his father and often goes about it in his violent way. His father does not always approve of his methods, but he admits that his son gets the job done and because of this he has rewarded him with two wives and several concubines (daughters taken from conquered tribes).

Name: Zaafirah
Race: Human
Appearance: Black hair, nut brown skin, and large black eyes that are a trademark of her family the Mussarats (now disbanded). Tends to wear bright articles of clothing given to her by Najib when he is pleased. She has a nose ring and one earing, this combination signifies that she is a concubine, the fact that they are connected by a long gold chain tells that she is a captive from another tribe, and the small black stone shows that she is a Mussarrat.
History: Zaafirah's family was not as large as that of the Farrajs, but it was wealthy for they had good relations with the Jazarat and traded silks and camel milk with them. The Farraj were always a threat, and there had been many skirmishes before between the two tribes. Both sides were greedy for more money and power in the desert. The fights ended one night when the Faraj surrounded the camp and the watchmen were switching. They killed almost all the men, selling the younger ones to other tribes and keeping or selling the women. They stripped them of their tribe name so as to further estrange them from one another. Faazirah rarely sees her older sister who was given to another tribe leader as a gift, and fears that her brothers have long since been killed.

-----------

Name: Ehmed Chander
Race: human
Allegiance: Jazarat
Appearance: Tall, lanky with brown hair and brown eyes. He wears sensible brown pants and a light shirt with tall boots.
History: He has lived in the mountain cities since he was born, and has never known anything else, but he is not completely clueless to the outside world as he and his father go to market to sell their vegetables every week. Lane does not find too much wrong with the Sumbasi, they are a bit rougher to him. But all in all he is fine so long as they do not cause him any trouble.

-----------------------

Name: Cardea
Race: jinn
Allegiance: no one - very much the trouble maker
Appearance: whatever she wants, although she is fond of taken the shape of a tall blond woman with green eyes, finding that women have more interesting features than men. She also enjoys the shape of fire and earth, but even here she tries to make it into more human features for most people do not listen to the earth any longer.
History: Was first enlisted to help Mor' oak, but quickly fell from grace when she found that bending the minds of the humans to be so easy.

Last edited by Maethoriel on May 30th, 2009, 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 5:01 am 

Name: Samarah (meaning: soft light) Farraj
Race Human
Appearance: Dark skinned, raven hair and green eyes. Her usual garb is ruby colored and sometimes she has to wear a veil to cover her face. She usually wears large earrings but also a beautiful bracelet which was a gift of Najib at their wedding.
Picture: http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b9/williemijnie/ruby-veil.jpg
History: Samarah's father made her marry Najib Farraj at fifteen. Still a child, Samarah was now wife of a powerful man. At her seventeenth Samarah was already pregnant and was full hope that her child would be a son. It turned outwise: Samarah gave birth to a girl whom she named Lana (tender). Her husband was heavily disappointed and first even refused to look at his newborn daughter. To many it was no surprise that Samarah soon again was pregnant. To the horror of Najib his wife had a miscarriage. Samarah fell in status as she could not produce a male heir and Najib soon married another and shared his bed with many other women.
Samarah still sees Najib frequently as she still is his first wife but only when it pleases him.

[ I said I would be in with 2 charries but I have no inspiration yet for another so I might make it up along the way ;) ]

[ Oh and Dragonseeker]

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 12:45 pm 

Great bios guys. Just to let everyone know, I'll be taking the High Priest and his pupil (bios to come), and Ar'Ulach for now.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 29th, 2009, 12:56 pm 

[ I can't wait to start this :-D ]