Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 15th, 2009, 9:21 am 
Elf
Elf

[@ Eruraina: It's alright, don't worry about it. :)
@ Will: Have fun. :D We'll wait up for you. =]
The new shoes thing... I get that a lot. It's a little odd because I plot for characters so much I should have very little difficultly with it, but still. I'm weird. :P]

The abrupt exit of Adrianna was slightly disheartening for Cameron. Now there was a piece missing from the view and the light seemed fractionally darker. Banter between them rose and fell according to mood and situation; but usually the joking atmosphere around the house - when Cameron was home, at least - made for cheery conversation. He'd never thought to ask what it was like when he wasn't there, but now he thought of it, when he was away and Adrianna was working, the house would've stood cold and empty. Thinking back to the warm reception he'd received upon arrival, the reason for his little sister's surprise was obvious. Without him pulling at her, she had little reason to socialize further than those she met on business, although evidence seemed to say that she saw Garnet every so often. Adrianna saw Garnet as a sister, no matter what her manner seemed to say.

The fading footsteps of Adrianna's had long since faded, now, and Cameron was left smiling vaguely, searching for something to say that didn't sound forced or awkward. He'd give plenty for words to come willingly and let him banish this dreadful silence.
Looking to her face, he saw Garnet's expression of relief and it sparked questions. At first, he thought it something to do with Adrianna's disappearance. The thought induced a bitter feeling he suppressed with guilt. Unable to find a plausible reason for his friend's emotion from his speculation, he resigned himself to either never knowing or finding out in the very, very distant future. Would she even remember him ten years from now?
Cameron was now all to conscious of how alone they were. In a way, he felt like a child: he was helpless, and in need of someone to push him in the right direction - he knew he'd end up saying something stupid eventually. Hopefully he'd be able to delay that scenario for as long as possible.

A pity about Adrianna. Yes, she was right. His sister's formality and organization had risen dramatically in the last year; he'd seen her grown up in a way he hadn't thought possible. Ninety percent of the time she displayed more maturity than he - though, he chuckled inwardly, he was hardly a difficult target to beat - and most others he knew. She was destined for a world too high above his station for him to see. If he looked up too long, he'd be blinded by the lights that acted as effectively as the invisible, perhaps mythical, sun.

"She is," he agreed. More than most, he'd heard the complaints Adrianna had voiced about the Governors, in general, when she'd first taken the job. As much as she did grumble about them, he thought she enjoyed the strict structure of the work; it gave her some stability is what was probably an unbalanced life, however slightly. More often than not, she was alone, and then only when she wasn't running around after a document, form or other such manner of paperwork.
"It took her a while to... settle down... into this new post." Governor's aide. From experience he knew is sounded a lot more flashy than it was, but he also knew that Garnet was clever enough not to take things at face value. Adrianna herself, for example. The two were good friends and had been for years, despite the elder's constant onrush of work and the other's job demanding a hermit-like lifestyle. Trust ran deep between the three, and he was glad for it.

Cameron sat down, sideways, on a chair - the only other chair in the room apart from the one behind the desk - and considered how to approach speech. Sure his words would trip over one another should he attempt to convey his affection for his childhood friend, Cameron thought it appropriate to try another tact. That was, until Garnet managed to find words before him.
I missed you. The words lifted him like nothing else could, and he grinned at her. "I swear I don't know how you survive this. I would've been driven crazy already." He looked at her with his head tilted slightly to one side. "You amaze me sometimes."
Those words would probably be the truest thing he said aloud tonight, he realised.
From the sound of it, Garnet's professional life was in need of help. Immediately he knew there was very little he could do to help that, but the idea of helping her escape was exciting, like the childish adventures they'd revelled in so long ago. The grin he wore widened.
"I suppose if they keep you here much longer I could always accidentally knock part of the building down." The innocence was back in place. Cameron was almost positive she'd note this with amusement.
"Let them try and make you work when the buildings in pieces."

<center>-</center>

Out of breath, Adrianna arrived at the bridge. Chance had lead her to approach it from the opposite side; she'd detoured to avoid several Wardens who appeared to be on patrol. She knew she had nothing to fear from them except insubordination, but her higher rank didn't stop them making things unpleasant and problematic for her.
Streets were empty, and the only lights were the ones by the sides of doors or streaming through windows. The city was both an eerie and peaceful place at night - it had none of the hurriedness of the daytime, and was usually when people were calmer.

With every step she took, Adrianna wondered what on earth she was to do with the mess she'd been left in. Ignoring it was not an option; procrastination would not help when she had a perfect opportunity to ambush the doctor when he wasn't expecting it, and if she didn't stop thinking about this soon she was sure she'd explode.

The silver-handed watch she kept with her, always, told her it was midnight already. With luck, she'd turn up and he'd be there before her - the prospect of being able to see him before he could see her was heartening, she felt as though something was going her way at last - even if it didn't last long.

The bridge was not the largest structure in the city, but it was a landmark, of sorts. Adrianna's first view of it quietened her marginally heightened spirits, for the whole structure was littered with floodlights that threw shadows over the metal framework. There was no was she could advance without being seen.

So much for subtlety, she mused.
Her 'uniform' shoes tapped on the paved roadway of the bridge, probably alerting those around to her quiet approach. Instead of attempting to stay undetected, Adrianna had decided to do the opposite: she'd make her arrival as obvious as possible, hoping that the act would convey confidence and purpose. It may be evident after a few minutes taking to her that she wasn't who he thought, but she could have him arrested in seconds. The thought made her shudder.

The edge of the bridge was in her sights, now. To the best of her knowledge, the square was a little further ahead, down a narrow alley that opened up to the moderately-sized market - a well-lit place, at least in the daytime.
It seemed her sources had been misinformed. It was small, compared to some of the open spaces she'd seen in her time, and surrounded by a dreary collection of buildings that seemed abandoned and, in some places, in varying states of disrepair. What had been, in the beginning, a proud city of survivors was being poisoned from the inside - Adrianna could see it happening, and longed to close her eyes, to shield herself from the inevitable fate that surely awaited them.
Regaining her calm composure would take a few minutes after such a thought, but her tenacious façade was already in place. Her expression was cool and untroubled, but it hid an uneasy, fragile confidence that could be shattered easily, she was sure.

In the center of the square, there was a fountain. The edge of the pool was carved intricately with a pattern of diamond shapes and small squares. As she stood waiting, listening intently for the least sound of movement, she ran a finger along the raised pattern, tracing its meandering path slowly. The tension of waiting would get to her eventually, but for now her steady breathing would calm her.
"Hurry up, doctor..." she murmured. The person that spoke did not sound like her; it was harsher, colder and decidedly more sinister. A voice in the back of her head asked Adrianna a question: hows long did she think she could deny the darker side to herself?

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 15th, 2009, 10:37 am 
Maia
Maia

(Don't worry Will, we won't go too far into the RP without you :) )

Garnet leaned against her desk, careful not to tip it over so that the books would spill over the edge, and then she’d have a whole new ton of work on her hands. She listened to Cameron more intently than she showed; her eyes were downcast. “Oh, I can imagine it,” she said, as he talked about Adrianna, pauses between his words. Adrianna had changed a lot since she had been appointed to her position working for one of the Governors. She watched as Cameron sat down, finally lifting her gaze from the floor. A small pause stretched out and she glanced away slightly, hoping she had not sounded stupid in admitting that she had missed him – but it was only the truth. He would never know how much she missed him when he was gone.
Then he spoke. You amaze me sometimes.
Her head turned. Her expression was lit up with a kind of dawning hope; fragile, but ready to blossom forth like a new spring flower. A tiny smile tugged up the corners of her mouth, and she looked at him as if his words were the very key that could save her from this, as if she held them dear. Finally her features formed a wider smile, and she shook her head with a tiny laugh.
“Who says I haven’t been driven crazy already?” she mused, but her tone was full to the brim with her familiar sense of humour. She gazed a little ahead of her, her expression sobered for one moment. “No. I survive like anyone does. Hanging from a thread. It’s been two years since I started this job, and I never want to get used to it, though I probably have.” She looked at him. “Who would want to be used to this?” One of her hands skimmed the air before her, gesturing to her surroundings.
Then the moment passed and that tiny smile graced her lips again, as if she had remembered a small joke, the punch line to a story that immediately made the world seem a little brighter. He did not know it, but she was remembering that he was here, he was back, for now at least, and there was something to be glad about.
“Yes. If you knock down the walls that’ll really please them. You’re forgetting you’re an architect – they’ll just make you build a new library, bigger and better this time.” Her smile gleamed at him. “But I wish you would. I absolutely despise these walls.”
She hopped down from the desk. She looked as if she was thinking hard about something. Her blue-grey eyes scanned the room before coming back to rest on him. “Have you ever thought about really leaving this place?” she said softly. “I mean, really leaving. Going up there.” He would know what she meant. Garnet, perhaps more than anyone, supported the mystical rebel movement that everyone was careful not to speak of, an idea that was too dangerous to signal to.
“I know it sounds idiotic. But sometimes I feel like I’m dying here – dramatic, I know. But it’s draining the life out of me.” She walked a little closer to him. “Only when I see Adrianna… or you. Especially you,” she said, “I remember that I’m a normal person who hasn’t forgotten how to laugh. Who remembers how to smile.” Her voice was very quiet, but so much was conveyed into those words. “This is the first time in several weeks I’ve had a proper conversation with anyone. Apart from…” she paused.
“If you don’t count the guardians of the library. They’re…” she struggled for words, “they’re rather…” She sighed and finally said, bluntly, “they come to blows when they don’t get their way. I don’t count them, not at all. I feel like… I just want to get out of here.”
She turned slightly, as if to shake off the intensity of her words, the desperation of this situation. She didn’t want to scare Cameron off. “Maybe you think I’m being stupid.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 25th, 2009, 12:39 pm 

Dylan watched how a young woman crossed the bridge and entered the square. She could not be there by chance. Not a single soul would only think of wandering down the streets at this time of day. 'Okay' he smirked, correcting himself. 'A few might.'

The young man remained where he was for the moment. Although many would consider him, by making this little trip, a fool; Dylan was everything but stupid. With piercing eyes he tried to detect every little detail of this woman who'd stepped into the pool of neonlight. Her long dark curles, her pale complexion, her fragile figure. She was very pretty.. but possibly very dangerous as well.

Would this woman be sent by the writer of his note? It happened that different persons were to deliver this package. But never a woman. Could this be a trap?

There was just one way to find out.

A reckless smile appeared on Dylan's face and he shuddered as he felt the adrenaline race through his body. The thought of making this choice which could have so many complications didn't frighten him, as usual, at all. After all the things that had happened to him, he didn't even care.

With a casual step he started to approach the young woman. His coat was open and a soft breeze blew across his face. Dylan strolled over to Adrianna but halted a few feet away. "Lovely night" he remarked, as if he was just making an evening stroll. "Who are you?"

The words were friendly but spoken with force and left no room for no answer. Standing only a few feet away Dylan noticed that her eyes were green and he looked deep into these green pools as to look at her soul. Who was she?

O children, lift up your voice, lift up your voice,
Children, rejoice, rejoice..

It doesn't matter you don't believe in God, He believes in you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 4:00 pm 

[ Bump :erm: ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 4:01 pm 
Maia
Maia

(Don't worry, Will, this RP is still firmly in full swing :-D Meldy was locked from the forum for a while because she changed her email address O_o)

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 4:13 pm 

[ Aaah! I'm glad to hear that! The RPG section seemed to have died last week so I'm eager to get things started again :) ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2009, 4:31 pm 
Elf
Elf

[Yep, I'm still definitely here and I'm adamant that this shall not die. I'm working my way through the RPs I've gotta post on, I'd missed more than I'd thought.
Anyways, I'm back now. :teehee:]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2009, 11:23 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(I'll post for this soon, I promise)

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2009, 12:32 pm 
Elf
Elf

((Here, at last. Sorry it's taken ages, I've had no time. D: ))

The night air was cold, and Adrianna had to stop herself shivering, sure that such an action would give her away and she'd be left standing for hours, waiting for a man who wouldn't turn up. It wasn't an obvious move to make, showing herself clearly and boldly; but she hoped it portrayed confidence in a believable light - she could even work with arrogance, if it came to that. She was by no means an expert at turning every situation to her advantage, but she'd been around enough politicians to pick up a few things and become practiced at it, at least.

A brief pause in her fast-paced thoughts allowed her to breathe deeply for a moment, exhaling her nerves and hopefully inhaling something that would get her through the night without being screamed at, injured or carried off to some dark torture chamber in the bowels of the underworld...
Having an overactive imagination was a curse, sometimes.

The note she'd snatched was in her jacket pocket, clenched tightly inside a stationary fist and probably crushed. It was probably the only evidence against him, and even then it didn't stand up to much. It could mean anything, even something stupidly innocuous, but that meant it was dangerous. It could be used to both this doctor's innocence and guilt - and she knew which side the government would take, and how much they'd bend the law in their favour. That time, she did shiver.

Minutes more to herself made room for panic, and she began to see the holes in the plan she'd have to try and hold together. It was highly doubtful that she looked the part. It was painfully obvious that she didn't know the least about what had been going on prior to tonight's interference, and otherwise she had no experience in this kind of issue, and none of that would matter if the sender of the note - if it wasn't in fact the Governor - showed up and asked what the hell she was doing here.
There wasn't a word for how stupid she felt.
Unbeknownst to her, her face didn't show her fear. It was a cool mask that would've been pleasant enough had she smiled; as it was it rested expressionless, staring into the water without seeing. Her eyes never lingered in one place for so much as a second, before darting off to the next place that caught her attention - something in her head, rather than the image before her.

Neon light exaggerated contrast between Adrianna's dark hair and pale skin, though showing her face clearly was not the only way it might've hindered her. Only now did she realize that she would be able to hide nothing under the bright glare of the lights - and she knew he would face the same disadvantage. At least there was one upside to this situation.

Oblivious to her surroundings and concentrating on her thoughts, Adrianna didn't realize she had company until he spoke to her. The forceful tone used tossed asside her current trail of thought and demanded attention immediately; the doctor sounded sure and confident, and looked, if possible, even more so. The sweet smile came as she summoned it, searching for any holes that would help her wriggle out of this mess.
"It's peaceful, cool, and quite undisturbed," she said softly, "what more could anyone want?"
There was a pause as she considered turning on the spot and walking away. Heaving a sigh of despair masked with impatience, Adrianna met his eyes properly, guessing that she'd have no opportunity to leave without giving a satisfying - and plausible - answer.
"I suppose, that depends entirely on who you are, and why you're here."
She was avoiding the question, but to be too open would surely be a mistake.

There was no chance that Dr Whittaker was getting what it was he wanted tonight. This was either going to end up going her way, or it was going to end up with him being dragged off by the nearest Warden and incarcerated in the nearest cell. Absolutely nothing could go wrong for her, tonight.
The voice in her head asked: Is that really what you think?

<center>- - -</center>

Innocuous conversation about fleeting travialities was boring, there was no other word for it. Conversation was slowing to a difficult pace; Cameron could think of little left to say. When it came to talking with others, usually he spat out whatever he needed to say and got it over with, for he was not ashamed of his opinions. Where Garnet was concerned, however, he felt a little more... sensitive.
"Who says I haven't been driven crazy already?" she mused aloud.

Cameron shrugged with a familliar smile. "Sanity is overrated. I like to think we're all a little odd."
Cold, hard reality seemed to hit her for a minute, so, keeping quiet, he watched in case there was any assistance he could lend. Before he opened his mouth to speak, her face brightened again, and the world was sunny, if there was such a thing. If he could only know what made her smile like that, he'd make sure it lasted forever.
When she replied, he shrugged again.
"I could always build some secret passage underneath the new place. They wouldn't find out unless someone who knew where to look told them, and you'd have free access to fresh air whenever you get sick of this.
"Or I could just brick up the doorways that lead to the guardians' common room." he suggested in the off-hand way that meant he would seriously consider it if she said yes.

There was very little he could do to comfort her about the surroundings she found herself in, he could promise to whisk her away, but then they'd come looking for her. He could promise to hide her somewhere, but someone'd find out, eventually, and it'd be no use if she traded a life imprisonment (for, evidently, that was what it was) for a life riddled with secrecy.

A few moments later, he found the question 'Go up where?' arriving on his tongue, but halted it as realization dawned. Up. The surface.
Come to think of it, he had contemplated the notion vaguely, in the moments when he was close to sleep or so far past the city's borders that darkness enshrouded everything and it crushed down upon you so hard it almost felt like being unconscious. There wasn't really anything he could do but wonder, as there was no way upwards, not immediately: the mine shafts that were first used as an escape route so many years ago were high up, and there wasn't any kind of structure that went that far up. It was impossible, but it never stopped him wondering - nor did it stop Garnet, apparently.

"It's weird here," he agreed quietly. "Almost like you're being strangled, not getting enough air, but can't quite feel it. Everything's so close, so strange, but I've never known anything else."
The serious notion almost ended there, and he nearly forgot about it as she continued. Garnet liked people, he knew. Had she been given the chance, and the right community, she would've collected people as some children liked to collect butterflies. Maybe it was just him, but there was something about her that drew people close, made them feel at ease. It was comfortable here, even if the walls were a dreary grey and there wasn't enough room to swing a cat in, as some might say.

"No," he started, trying to find the correct way to arrange his words."I don't think you're stupid." There was nearly nothing left to say, and he found himself stranded in a wordless desert. It was typical that the moment he needed to say something helpful, something reassuring, his tongue decided to attach itself to the roof of his mouth and refused to become unstuck. A frown creased his brow and his eyes looked dissatisfied, the only traces off annoyance he showed as he tried and failed to find a way out, a way to rescue Garnet from a life she'd been born into and amost likely would never escape. Adrianna was a different case, she'd caught the eye of someone high up, that Governor'd had her followed, investigated and interrogated until he practically had her life on record for study. When her parents had vanished, Garnet had been left alone except for Cameron and his sister. It wouldn't have mattered if she'd been taken in by another family, sent into some manner of care or left to fend for herself; from that day on, she'd be of no interest to anyone. If you had no family, you had no-one to stand with you. The spirit of one alone is so easy to crush.
Maybe he'd make it two.

"D'you think it'd be possible,going up there?" He was asking the question aloud because someone had to voice what everyone thought but no-one asked. "And if it was, would you come with me?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2009, 1:07 pm 
Maia
Maia

“Sanity is overrated. I like to think we’re all a little odd.”
Garnet gave a tiny laugh. Whether it was filled with mirth or sadness was not quite clear. Her emotions could flicker changed like the switch on an electric light; not in frailty of feeling, but more the strength of it that she felt. Spending so much time alone meant that Garnet got little chance to express herself. Maybe in another life she might have painted beautiful pictures like the ones in the books she patched together; maybe she might have written. There was something deep inside her that yearned to be given an outlet.
She listened as he made suggestions. In truth, she would like him to build some secret passageway or brick up the guardian’s common room. If only she could seriously ask him to do so. She said nothing more yet; not ignoring him, only listening. She finally looked up as his thoughts connected along the line of hers.
Go up to the surface, of course. The words hung between them, almost tangible in the hope that they held, the desperation, the need to get away. Garnet stepped further away from her desk, closer towards him, pitching her voice low in almost a whisper. She didn’t want to speak too loudly of this.
“I know,” she said. “I know. I know just what you mean. It’s like trying to breathe when fog is thick in the air. We’re alive, but what kind of life is it? This is all we’ve ever known, yes, but there’s something else… something better, somewhere.”
Her gaze was very steady as she looked at him. She could almost see him thinking.
“Someone could find a way up to the surface. I’m sure someone could. I don’t know what kind of effort it would take or what it would cost. It would be difficult. But…” she paused. Words escaped her, though she wanted to say more, wanted to tell him just how much she wanted to escape. And then he voiced his second question.
Would she come with him?
Would she? If there was a chance of escape?
Of course she would. To her, it wasn’t even a question. For a moment she felt she couldn’t speak; she felt choked, but not in the way she had described beforehand. When she breathed out it was as if a rush of new air filled her lungs.
“Yes,” she replied. “Yes. I would.”
She reached out, very slowly. Her long, slim fingers threaded through his. Holding his hand, she smiled.
Since her parents’ absence, Garnet had felt alone, apart from when she was with Cameron. She was with him now, and he had just asked her something that was so amazingly important to her. She imagined leaving this prison, with him; the thought of life on the surface suddenly seemed so bright, and so near.
“I know it would be dangerous, but I can’t help hoping for it. I want to leave. Another day here seems too much. But I couldn’t do it without you,” she said simply. “I would go if you came with me.”

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 4:50 pm 

Dylan's feeling of distrust was strengthened by the woman's cautious answer. But what had worried him the most that she did not use some code words in order to gain his confidence. Was this a set-up?

His piercing dark eyes took in the woman's appearance. Her smile seemed too sweet to be genuine.. and did he read some doubt in those green eyes? Or was it just him being paranoid again? Although many said that it was one of his annoying characteristics, Dylan actually thought that he possessed a healthy dose of paranoia, which proved to be quite useful at times like these.

In a matter of seconds Dylan decided what to do. His instincts had almost never been wrong and he wouldn't be messed around with. He grabbed the girl by the upper arm and pulled her closer to him. His grip was tight but not forceful and his voice was calm. "I don't think you realise that you're not in the position of asking questions or avoiding answers."

His smile had not left his face but something in his dark eyes betrayed that he was not the man who would be playing games.

"I ask you one last time: who are you?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2009, 5:51 pm 

[ Bump :) ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2009, 9:26 am 
Elf
Elf

Silence grew steadily longer as both Adrianna and the doctor stared one another in the eye. What she felt wasn't fear exactly, it was a growing anxiety that pulled at her thoughts every so often, just reminding her that everything could go wrong tonight. It was the first time she'd realized just how much she didn't want to be in this situation - and how much she had to endure it. It annoyed part of her that she'd been forced into this, but it annoyed her more that she'd allowed herself to be backed into a corner.

That was why, when the doctor pulled her closer to voice his subtle threat, she raised an eyebrow and watched him with an inquiring expression. She gave no answer to that, partially because it was very likely that she'd dig a deeper hole, and partially because her pride refused to acknowledge it with such an answer.

The doctor's calm irritated her. She wasn't in control of anything here, and that was... concerning. If this were to go her way, she figured she'd either have to have him arrested - something she'd try to avoid, because persecuted criminals met the most undesriable fates and he couldn't exactly terrorize the city with stolen medical supplies... - or make him run. Yes, the mused to herself. Let me just go find a nice, big scary monster and make the big grown man run away in fright. That was sure to work.
“I ask you one last time: who are you?” he said, still perfectly calm. His expression was serious, and Adrianna knew she was rapidly losing escape routes.

With her free hand, she pulled the crinkled paper note from her pocket and held it up so it was clearly visible.
“Someone knowledgeable,” she said quietly and almost coldly, making quite the effort to keep her voice plain and steady.

Curiosity overtook her now, as was evident in her face. “Did you think you'd never get caught? Their eyes are everywhere, you can't hide anymore...”

[[Cameron's part'll be here in a minute. :teehee:]]

Last edited by Darkheart on July 12th, 2010, 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2009, 10:47 am 

Dylan's mind was racing at full speed. So they had followed him and searched his house? Obviously they had found the note..But was it proof? He had always realised the consequences of being caught but it had never meant anything to him. His life so it seemed had been empty in many ways.

Dylan's dark eyes stared for a few moments at the note and then back at Adrianna's face. A mole, a spy she was.. It didn't surprise him. It had been long ago that people were still willing to fight for freedom or justice, just because it was the right thing to do. But now, there were many who sold everything they believed in just for the something relative like safety.

"You found a note." Dylan stated, raising his eyebrows as if he was not impressed. "I do not know of any law that restricts the civilians of this city to meet at public property -yet-. For all you know I could buy some cookies for my sick mother.."

A teasing grin had appeared on his face. But he didn't let go of Adrianna's arm. Curiosity was written on the woman's face when she said: “Did you think you'd never get caught? Their eyes are everywhere, you can't hide anymore...”
Dylan's face remained emotionless as Adrianna spoke. The woman seemed confident of her case but Dylan believed that there was hesistation and doubt behind that mask of security.

"I know that your government makes it every day more difficult for people to go about their daily lives." His voice had now dropped to a whisper. "But if you want to accuse me.. go ahead and accuse me."

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2009, 3:22 pm 
Elf
Elf

Many thought processes seemed to take place in a very small length of time. In so few words, Adrianna had declared openly that she was by no means here to help him, and she couldn't change that anymore. It seemed that she'd made her allegiance plainly known. Her blood ran cold.

As the doctor's gaze switched from her face to the paper she held and back again, she knew he was piecing everything together, and soon the puzzle would be complete. Should she regret being quite s honest about who she was?
Would it have changed anything if she had been?

The doctor's simple, unfeeling answer had been what she'd expected. “Oh, if that's all then I'm sure they'll just leave you alone.” her tone dripped with sarcasm. “This,” she lifted the note a little higher then let her arm fall to her side, “is enough for them to try you for theft and then sentence you to life-long incarceration.”

Angry now that he was openly disregarding her words, she attempted to pull her arm out of his grasp, then moved closer of her own accord she she needn't speak in any louder tone than the low hiss she employed now.
“It isn't my government,” Adrianna shot back, “and this goes so far beyond just me - it's nothing to do with what I want.”
Impatience was now mixed with her anger, that driving anger born of uncertainty and confusion. Her brow was furrowed ever so slightly as she stared at him, likely revealing more of her thoughts than she'd ever admit.

“You can't stay here and face this head-on without being called anything but a fool,” she muttered with forced conviction, trying and failing to push away the doubt that curled in tendrils around her mind and every thought. Under other circumstances she might have called this performance courageous, but recently her thought pattern had changed; the people she'd been around most often had rubbed off on her and what once appeared noble was now vaguely idiotic. He seemed to have no inclination to protect himself, and that worried her for a reason she was unable to define.
“Staying here is ridiculous,” she told him, quieter than before. “I... why--”
Breaking off abruptly, she shook her head slightly, as if to rid herself of her confusion. Needless to say, this attempt did not prove to be even the slightest bit useful.

Staying here was ridiculous. Intentionally folding your arms in front of your, for lack of a better word, enemy and simply saying "do what you want" was stupid. He couldn't fight them, and she thought he knew that - but that made his actions even more difficult to read. Intentional sacrifice was, to her, senseless, insane and...

“Why aren't you running?” she murmured with a subtle, genuine urgency that was barely detectable.

...Selfless.

<center>- - -</center>

There was so much in Garnet that struggled to be free, something that needed space. Some might've called it her soul, others might've said it was her deep sense of creativity. Cameron thought it was something deeper, a need or wish for the bright, openness of the world she dreamed of. It was nothing to do with imagination, or pushing boundaries: Garnet was confined here, and outside was so different, and so close. The grass always looks greener.

She listened so well. He was almost certain that should he wish to talk about nothing for hours she would sit and smile and listen as she always had, because there was a kind of friendship that ran so deep that words just aren't necessary anymore. Words filled the silence, but they conveyed so little of any kind of emotion is was almost pathetic.
The only reason he had kept talking, beyond wanting to prolong the time he spent in her company - thought it was night-time, and he'd have to leave soon - was to brighten her mood. Isolation lead a person to dark places, he knew, and even worse company. A soul confined within themselves met a worse fate than death.

For a moment he paused, to catch his breath. It didn't seem as though he'd been talking long - and he probably hadn't - but it was long enough that his trail of thought had run out, and his attention had been diverted elsewhere.

“I know,” Garnet whispered softly. “I know. I know just what you mean. It’s like trying to breathe when fog is thick in the air. We’re alive, but what kind of life is it? This is all we’ve ever known, yes, but there’s something else… something better, somewhere.”

The words provoked him into silent contemplation. He supposed it would be possible to get to the surface - after all, recycled air didn't last for long and they would've suffocated long ago had there been nothing to sustain them. Maybe there was a tunnel, a cave, a mine shaft somewhere that would allow them access, escape... freedom.

Someone could find their way up to the surface, Garnet continued. He was listening, but she suddenly seemed so far away. This tiny glimpse of an idea held almost all of his focus. What would it take for him to be the one to lead everyone that would come out of this hole in the ground and into the air where they could breathe?
He'd need others. People, citywide, to help. He'd need Garnet. Adrianna might be of use, but putting her under such pressure right under the nose of a Governor was a risk...
He'd need a plan. It'd have to be a good one.
Was it optimism or arrogance that made him think he could do this? Cameron wasn't sure. It might just have been sleep deprivation messing with his head.
However, Garnet believed in this as much as he did. That seemed to increase his chances of success slightly - the knowledge that someone would be there, to help and to guide. But would she come with him...?

“Yes.” came the simple answer. She reached out for him, and he smiled at her as he very subtly let out the breath he'd been holding hostage for the past minute as he waited for her answer. Now that she'd answered with the affirmative, things felt different: alone, he knew he couldn't hope to stand against the government's corruption. When one grew to two, the idea was not so easy to crush. Two might easily become three. Three could become four.
Maybe the revolution had already begun.

After a minute, Cameron laughed. “You know, there isn't a chance I'd go without you.
And even if you left without me, I'd probably follow you until you were sick of the sight of me.” he added jokingly as he held her hand.

Unknowingly, he had a tendency to think about something and be extremely accurate with his assumptions and educated guesswork. If he'd read in Garnet's words more, he might have detected a faint echo of his own thoughts and feelings. As it was, he remained ignorant. He was not blind, and yet he could not see. A tragic irony that was doomed to repeat itself for far too long, perhaps.
Garnet must have possessed a similar quality, otherwise she too would have realized and spoken out. Adrianna had seen this, but knew that a single word from her could fracture the friendship irreparably. She had also abstained because - to be perfectly honest - without Cameron she would be almost entirely alone. Garnet's friendship was the only other she cherished, and resentment would slowly begin to grow and poison that feeling.
Cameron should have noticed this, but his eyes would not see that in front of him.
How could a man who sees so much be blind?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2009, 5:32 pm 
Maia
Maia

“You know, there isn't a chance I'd go without you. And even if you left without me, I'd probably follow you until you were sick of the sight of me.”
Garnet listened to those words intently, on the brink of laughing, or perhaps crying, though she was in no way sorrowful. Was there a word for feeling so happy you might just break into pieces? She couldn’t find one. Reflected in her grey-blue eyes was utter joy; her features were lit up with a new inspiration, a new reason to continue living every day. Dramatic though it sounded, Garnet did not think she could go another day living like this. Entrapped within a library, a place, if she had not worked there, she otherwise might have quite liked. But she didn’t seem to stand in her own room now; her concentration was entirely given to the words Cameron had just said.
She still held his hand, smiling at him, her face softened. “I would never get sick of the sight of you, Cameron. You know that,” she said, a laugh brightening her voice, giving his hand a small squeeze. Pausing, the thoughts ran through her head like a flowing river. “This will be difficult. I know it will. Yet… I know I’ve never spoken of it, but this has always been something I’ve wanted. Even before my parents died, really.” Her voice broke a little as she mentioned her mother and father. “I always knew that we were trapped. And when mum and dad taught me, taught all the children in my class, about the world on the surface, the grass, the clouds up in the sky, the sun… the stars at night – I knew that I had to get up there. We all did.”
A little pause stretched out, not uncomfortable, but tinged with a painful memory. Her parents had been teachers, and they had taught beautiful lessons that had touched Garnet’s very soul. For educating beyond the limits of the government, they had been killed.
“I’m so glad,” she said finally, quietly. “I would never have dared imagine escaping possible, without you.” As she looked at him, it appeared that she might have continued further. Her words hung in the air, like a suspense, and she couldn’t quite bring what was left unsaid to life. She wanted, desperately, to articulate that most powerful yet most infinitely delicate of emotions; but remembering that the voicing of such feelings could break her friendship with Cameron, which she cherished above everything.
As time stretched on, on an instinct she leaned forward slightly, looking almost nervous, before a shrill ringing filled the room. The sound was ear-shattering, and she darted over to the other side of the room to shut up the alarm clock.
“That sounds every night when it’s time for me to go,” she explained. She took her jacket off a hook on the wall and slipped it over her slim shoulders. Crossing the room, she hesitated.
“Would you like to walk home with me?” she offered. “It’s very strict schedules here, I’m afraid. We can’t really stay any longer.” She looked disappointed, as she would’ve liked to have spoken at greater length with Cameron. A tiny pause. “I do mean it, you know. I will leave with you, if we have a chance.” She smiled up at him.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 167 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11  Next