Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 12:35 am 
Maia
Maia

Amelia listened with sharp ears and a terrified heart. What if her brother had crossed the Zulu's, or worse, been killed by an animal. Her face tense and pale, she walked over to Richard Braddock. "Sir, if I may ask." she spoke up not giving him time to answer the previous womans question. "My brother and his friend had been last seen here in Africa. Not ahving been seen for a number of years. I came to find them. Please, be true with me, is there a chance."

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 12:51 pm 
Elf
Elf

Richard, who at this time was about ready to give Katalina an utterly tactless answer out of sheer annoyance, was stopped dead when a brown-haired woman hurried to the front of the ill-tempered gaggle and asked if there was a chance at all her missing brother could be found.

Braddock sighed wearily. Such women were common in Africa, looking for missing family or lovers. Most, if not all, went home empty-handed. Still, Richard never left a man behind if he could help it, and at least finding some trace, even a corpse, would grant closure. "There is a chance, madam. What was his name?" He asked gently.

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 2:40 pm 
Maia
Maia

Amelia looked at him. She could tell he teling a half truth. Sher wanted them alive, but she would have to take the half truth. "His name is Robert Connery. His friends name is Erik Williams. do those name ring any bells of familiarity?" She asked searching his face for an answer. "Or am I here on a fools errand."

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 6:52 pm 
Elf
Elf

Richard stood with his had bowed in thought, wracking his brain for some memory. "There was a Connery who passed by here a few years by, now that I think on it. He paid a ludicrous fee and went on safari with, oh who was it? He was killed by a leopard a month ago. Willemsen, that was it! A Boer. He had a local helper who survived, A Xhosa named Uuka. We shall ask him if he remembers anything?" He asked, guaging the woman's reaction.

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 10:22 pm 
Maia
Maia

Amelia smiled in relief. "Thank you." she turned to the other woman. "I alpogize for jumping in as I did. but I had to know to be sure." she spoke with a small smiled.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 19th, 2010, 10:52 pm 
Elf
Elf

Braddock shook his head dismissively. "It is no trouble. If you would prefer, we could discuss this better once we settle in."

"If there are no other concerns," he called loudly, "then we shall depart. I have quarters made out northwest of the city, and we should leave now if we want to arrive before sundown. The wildlife will be most active around then, and the last thing I need is an uninvited guest spoiling the party. Now," he said snappily as he pulled off his coat and slung it over his arm, "get your baggage together. I have men who will take your load. And keep up!" He called over his shoulder, already moving.

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2010, 4:24 am 
Travelling Shieldmaiden
Travelling Shieldmaiden

"Oh, it's no problem at all," Katalina remarked somewhat coolly as she glanced at Amelia. She was used to be being brushed aside. The only time she received any attention had been at the brothel and that was of the unwanted kind. "Well it looks like the lord has spoken," she remarked as Richard commanded them to keep up. Picking up her bag that she had set at her feet, she picked up her pace after him. After hearing Amelia's story, a part of her did pity the woman. But she had grown up without anyone to care about her and that fact alone made her a hard woman. Mercy was something she had little of and even less compassion. Yet behind her cold remarks and her apparent heart of stone, lurked a lonely girl who only wanted a friend.

Darius and Calista had said nothing as Amelia spoke of her plight. Both pitied the woman but they did not see how they could be of any use to her on her search. Carrying the bulk of his and his wife's bags, Darius followed after Richard without another word. With her single bag in hand, Calista paused for a second as she faced the dark haired woman. "I pray you find them safe," she told Amelia softly. "If I can help in any way, let me know," she added wanting to be of some use though she highly doubted it was possible. As it was, she was already nervous of her new life on this strange yet exotic continent. Without waiting for a reply, she turned from Amelia and hurried after her husband.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 20th, 2010, 11:08 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

The Mason's gave their baggage over to Richard's men and started off with the rest of the group. Annebell started after them, but hesiated when she saw Amelia. Having no siblings, she had no idea how the girl must feel, but she sympathized anyway.

"Ms. Langly," Jim called. "do keep up!"

Annebell gave a small nod to Amelia then hurried up to the Mason's. Mrs. Mason could be a pain sometimes, but Mr. Mason really wasn't that bad. As long as she remember her place, he treated her with civility. He was quick to repremand if she ever stepped over his line, but he was still a good man at heart. Atleast in her eyes.

"Really, dear, you must be very careful out here," Elizabeth was telling her husband. She had been talking ever since they had started to move. "I am beginning to think that it was not a good idea for us to come out here. Couldn't you hunt for your game in England or some more civilized country?"

"Just give it some time, my dear. You will grow to like it. I know. And, it is Africa after all. It is wild and unexplored. This is why I allowed you to bring your maid. She will help take care of you," Jim said trying to reasure his wife. It was hard when his mind wasn't on her though. He was already thinking about the Lions, Elephants, and other such animals which he would be hunting. To him, this was a very exciting adventure.

"Well we shall see how long the girl is with us. The way our guide made it sound, she could die any moment!" Elizabeth didn't care that Annebell was in ear shot of that comment.

Yes, I'm sure that would be such a tragedy to you. Annebell thought. She kicked a rock in anger, but remained silent as she walked.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 21st, 2010, 1:44 am 
Maia
Maia

Amelia followed the group carrying her own bags. She wasstubborn and didn't like making people carry more then they had too. she always carried her own weight where ever she went. Grunting she shifted her bags and offered to carry one of the bags that the men carried. Amelia may have seemed it, but she acted like a tomboy at times. She even carried a couple pairs of mens slacks if a dress was troublesome. She looked at Katalina, and offered a helping hand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 1:39 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

The Mason's and Annebell followed the group as they made their way to the camping sight. Away from the sea, the air was hotter and drier. The ground also gave off a very unpleasent heat. It was quite different then the English town all three of them were use to.

"Excuse me, Mr. Braddock," Jim Mason called coming up behind Richard. "How far is it to our quarters? I hope not too far in this heat."

While Jim was speaking to Braddock, Annebell slowed her pace till she was beside Amelia. "I am sorry to hear about your brother," she said speaking quitely. "I hope you find him alive and well. She is lucky to have such a caring sister."

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 25th, 2010, 5:05 am 
Travelling Shieldmaiden
Travelling Shieldmaiden

Katalina turned to glance at Amelia in shock when the woman offered to help her. "I'm f-fine. Thank you," she stammered a bit taken aback by this stranger's kindness. Forget it, Katalina she told herself. Don't let down your guard, that's the first way to get into a world of trouble. She had been on her own for so long that she had learned to depend upon herself to survive, using wits or false charm to get what she wanted. Almost no trick was beneath her and as cold as that was, it was how she managed to get here. Though I am sure I could have chosen a more pleasant destination, she thought bitterly. If this heat didn't drive her mad, she was certain that the people in the company probably would.
------------------------------------------------
Darius and Calista remained silent as they followed after Richard. Hearing Sir Mason inquire about their quarters, Calista hoped that it would not be too much further. This heat was oppressive-far worse than anything she had experienced in England. The air seemed drier and warmer now that they were away from the sea and the ground itself seemed to trap the heat and reflect it back at her. Pausing for a moment to wipe the beads of sweat from her pale forehead with the back of her free hand, she closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath.
"Are you alright?" Darius asked her, stopping for a moment to study her.
Opening her eyes, Calista gave him a small smile and nodded before walking at his side again. "This heat is rather charming, wouldn't you agree?" she asked him then, trying to make light of her discomfort. Darius merely smiled thinly at her words. He did not like this heat either, but their trip thus far had to be much more than she bargained for when she decided to follow him-and their journey was just beginning. "Almost makes me want to search for a river," she remarked with a light chuckle.
"Almost?" Darius asked her.
"Well, sharing the river with some wild beast isn't exactly high on my list of pastimes," she added with a small smirk.
Darius chuckled at her words, appreciative at how she was trying to make the most of an environment that was both foreign and trying on her.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 8:25 pm 
Elf
Elf

Lor En Estel wrote:
The Mason's and Annebell followed the group as they made their way to the camping sight. Away from the sea, the air was hotter and drier. The ground also gave off a very unpleasent heat. It was quite different then the English town all three of them were use to.

"Excuse me, Mr. Braddock," Jim Mason called coming up behind Richard. "How far is it to our quarters? I hope not too far in this heat."

While Jim was speaking to Braddock, Annebell slowed her pace till she was beside Amelia. "I am sorry to hear about your brother," she said speaking quitely. "I hope you find him alive and well. She is lucky to have such a caring sister."

((Lord, I'm sorry. School's out now, so I'll likely to be on more regularly.))

Richard laughed at Mason's complaints. "Not long now. Only three miles once we leave the city. If you have a sidearm, I would suggest you load it and keep it ready. The hyenas will be active soon." He called to the group at large, sliding two .557 cartridges into his own double-barreled pistol. "We will be safe once we reach the homestead, worry not about that." That was a lie, and Braddock knew it. The packs would be active all night, not to mention the leopards. His skin crawled at the very thought of the big cats, but he kept walking and ckecked his pocketwatch. 3 o'clock. They had time.

Son of Bellatrix

Banner by Pandora

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 8:59 pm 
Maia
Maia

Amelia nodded at both women. She knew it was foolish, they each had there own agenda. And hers would take her on a dangerous path she was sure. She saw Richard take out his guna nd load it as he explained the dangers. And for once Amelia was glad she knew how to shoot. Unfortuatly she didn't have a spare had to shoot with, so she walked as fast as she could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 11:26 pm 
Half-elf
Half-elf

"That is a good idea. Stick close, my dear," Jim told his wife as he drew out his own pistol. He saw Annebell talking to a young lady behind them. "That goes for you too Ms. Langly."

Annebell wasn't quite sure what a hyena was, but by the reaction of the others she guessed it wasn't something she wanted to meet. It seemed Mrs. Mason knew what they were. For once she was quite, but Annebell could see her eyes moving all around. She must have been looking for some sort of wildlife. Annebell paused and looked around also. Realizing she was lagging behind the Masons again, she hurried up to be right behind them.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 28th, 2010, 11:52 pm 
Travelling Shieldmaiden
Travelling Shieldmaiden

Setting down their baggage for a brief moment, Darius wordlessly drew out his pistol and swiftly loaded it. Picking up the bags again, he kept the pistol within easy reach of his free hand. Calista watched him silently as he loaded his weapon. He did it with an ease that eased her fears somewhat though she was hoping that they would not run into such beasts. Catching the nervousness in her blue eyes, Darius gave her a reassuring smile. "Stay close to me," he whispered to her. "I'll protect you." Calista gave him a weak smile then.
"It's a pity my parents never deemed it necessary to teach me how to shoot," she said softly.
Darius smirked slightly at her comment. "Then you will just have to trust me now," he teased her.
"Haven't I done that from the start?" she replied as she glanced up at him. Darius could only nod at that. She had trusted him far more than he would have expected and now he could only hope that didn't lead her to disaster.
--------------------------------------------
"So these hyenas," Katalina remarked as she quickened her pace to keep up with the group. "How long are they active?" she asked. All she knew about these animals was that she was hoping that she never ran into one. "I should have bought myself a gun when I had the chance," she muttered to herself. Sure she had no idea how to use the weapon, but did not doubt that she could learn how to use one if it would help to keep her safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 29th, 2010, 2:01 am 
Maia
Maia

Amelia thought for a moment, they needed guns.She could have kicked herself. Her gun was a tiny two shot. "Mister Braddock, Is there a place where one could perchase a gun or two. Although I am looking for my brother, I have heard stories of Africa's dangers. And I fear my small gun isn't enough."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next