Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: POTC: Old Dog New Tricks
PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 11:11 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(You're very welcome! I've heard a lot about you from my lurking browsing of the old RPs around the site, and your character bio for Vari there was so detailed and impressive!)

(Anyway, here's Felicity's bio. Still working out some rough patches, but hopefully it's a good start!)

Full Name: Felicity Caroline Rey. Occasionally shortened to Lissie or Liss.

Nationality: English and French

Parents: Louis Rey and Anne Benton

Siblings: Natalie Rey Cartwright (elder sister), Philip Cartwright (brother-in-law)

Other Relations: Annabel Cartwright (4-year-old niece)

Appearance: Pale skin, blue-grey eyes, dark wavy strawberry blonde hair that can look more brownish depending on the light. Stands at 5'5".

Actor Inspiration/Actor Image: (or whatever you call it here): Hayley Westenra

Clothing: Generally, her barmaid's uniform: A cream-colored chemise, yellow bodice, and brown skirt.

Personality: Felicity has a taste for adventure and a flair for the dramatic, and has the unfortunate tendency to leap into situations before she truly has time to think about them--and only realizes the consequences later. Loathes being told what to do and is more trusting of people than she probably should be--but once that trust is broken, good luck trying to gain it back.

History: Felicity was born near Port Royal on her family's plantation, the second daughter of an English socialite who married for wealth and a French businessman who came to the Caribbean seeking it. The union was a matter of necessity and greed, nothing more, yet the couple spared no expense on raising their two daughters, who they professed to love dearly and equally. In truth, they favored the elder, Natalie, who was the 'perfect' child in their eyes and never questioned their wishes. Felicity, on the other hand, was reckless and impossible to control, running away on numerous occasions and causing more nursemaids to quit on the family than they could count. She talked back and never listened, and became improperly fascinated with tales of pirates whenever she heard them. After the success of Natalie's marriage to a wealthy landowner, the Reys turned their attention to the often-ignored Felicity, hoping that marrying her off would 'tame' her. Felicity was confident, however, that no suitable match could ever be found for her, and for several years this proved to be the case. However, when a man was found who claimed to not mind getting a 'difficult' wife, Felicity seized her chance and fled to Tortuga, where she has remained for the last year working as a barmaid and tavern singer/dancer in the Red Roger Inn, biding her time until she can afford passage on a ship that can take her far, far away from her old life.

(There we go! Definitely some Mary-Sueish tendencies to get rid of, but hopefully those will be less and less as I get used to working with her!)

Sig set and banner by the amazing Nurr!!

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 9:57 am 
Maia
Maia

Sorry I've been absent.. Lots of work... -.-" Yep, basic bio's are fine- I'm still working on Devina and Thomas' I'm afraid, still not quite sure ;)

Hobbs gave his companion a questioning look as she fidgeted with the pristine wig she had obviously spent time combing out. He had already asked her twice why she had insisted on bringing it, but she had been adamant. She had even left him sitting at the bar with it as she left to sort out their room, muttering something about an old Mexican friend called Martinez who owed her a set of something or other. He had rolled his eyes, but said nothing. He never argued with her. She had saved their lives on Cuba, although she had bought them a few weeks of extremely uncouth travel.
As the dark-haired captain had entered the room, she had stiffened and put her face to her drink. When she lowered the glass, her lips were taught: "Perhaps we should move on."

Hobbs laughed and pulled the wig off her head, leaving her black hair looking disheveled: "You're right, Henry, " Devina gave him a sharp look, but said nothing. The British aristocrat was speaking too excitedly to not be heading towards something slightly off-character: " We'll have to do without your document. Perhaps we should speak to the captain, take to the seas again. Surely he would see the benefit of having us abroad, and we might make a pretty penny taking from the Spanish! We could establish ourselves with real gold to back us up- A pirate's life! Just imagine! The boys would never believe it!"

Devina banged her fist down on the table loudly, making their glasses shudder: "Don't be such a fool!," Hobbs started, having misread her mood. She continued in a harsh whisper that he had to lean forward to hear "We have no money left. Only battered letters securing free passage to Port Royal. Without money there will be no new life here, because there will be nothing to invest," she downed the rest of her drink and moved it out of the way, "I know that man, Thomas. An idiot and a pirate. You do not want to know him. I wish I did not. Now stay here and hold your piece." she stood up violently as if to push the table over, but simply stepped out of the space between it and the table and made her way over to the other end of the pub, dodging a drunk and several thrown objects as she did so.

Thomas frowned angrily as she went, unhappy that the decisions were being made for him. He swilled his port for a moment, listening to the conversation two of the barmaids were having. No, he thought, watching the blond stalk towards the back, I can't bear it either. Henry- Devina, whoever she was, had decided to come to Tortuga instead of heading straight to Port Royal. He had no idea who she really was, or what she was like. She had lived a lie for six years; she told him nothing. She had a plan, she said, knew how they would get at the money they had lost to the Spanish.
He finished his drink and stretched, flopping the wig onto the table. It was time to take matters into his own hands.

He caught up with the barmaid, whose name he had gathered was Felicity, just as she opened the door on 'Captain Jack Sparrow' and his companions.

She had recognised Jack Sparrow the moment he had entered the establishment, like many of the women in Tortuga (and a fair few he had take abroad the Pearl) she had once found herself in his arms. And like many of the women he had known she had needed a fairly long time to recover from the affair and even longer to convince herself that he was not worth her affections. Theft and betrayal are not traits women like to see in a man.
It had been a contributing factor for her leaving the Caribbean six years ago- Another had been the convincing offer of a formar 'business' associate. She had left quite happily, arriving back in London as one illustrious Herny B. Avery, a governor's son and wealthy heir. The induction into the British aristocracy had suited her and she had happily forgotten her previous inditement s. Life had worked well for her, she had busied herself and created a character who was always welcome for dinner.

Hector Barbossa extracted himself from the arms of the young wench who had just seated herself on his lap and stood up with a flourish of his hat and a smirk.
Devina raised an eyebrow:"Don't expect that sort of greeting."
He gave a sinister smile "Now then, why would I ever expect such a thing from such a respectful young gentleman?"
She offered him her hand and he shook it firmly:" It's good to see you back in paradise, Mister…?"
"Avery," Devina answered smoothly "And don't worry yourself, dear, I'm not out for blood."
The pirate shrugged his shoulders "I wasn't offering, love. If ye' be wantin' blood ye' know where to find Jack. I dare say his entrance was rather," he paused a while "Engagin'."
Devina cocked her head and gave a nod: "He never changes."

They sat down and looked at each other for a while, gauging one another. The pub grew ever louder as the evening drew on, and it was well known how raucous the Red Rodger could get at night. People sang and argued and fought seemingly as loud as they could, spilling beer, rum and a number of other unidentifiable beverages.

"So," Hector said after a moment. He gestured to her tied back hair: "Yer' a man now."
Devina didn't blink at his deadpan tone: "I saw Vari is back with Sparrow,"
"Aye," the pirate offered with a wink "My eyes were a'seeing ye' with someone yourself."
"We're passing through. And you need to comb out your beard. It's filthy."
Barbossa leant back in his chair and fingered it lovingly "That's pirates for ye', love, filthly, ungodly creatures. Not unlike yerself, I seem to recall."
Devina gave a little smile "What has Jack found? Or should I be asking you why you are seated out here," she gestured to the drunks "when all the action is going on in the back?"
The pirate gave a little shrug "A man knows when he's beat'n nowadays. Jack's changed these past few weeks. Had a little run in with a certain Martinez Ferdii, became a little," he rolled his eyes "Odder than usual."

Devina felt herself raise her head in a manner that had always indicated her annoyance. She had spent the evening waiting for a man who quite clearly wasn't going to turn up. So the maps he had been due to give her were out of her reach. Her heart plummeted. She was stuck in Tortuga with a man who believed the romantic stories of pirates and ladies were true. Hobbs had not been privvy to her plan- She had not wanted to return to the Caribbean at all. Martinez had offered to find her the maps on Cuba and they had agreed to meet here for the exchange.

"How terrible for darling Jack," she said with a smile, raising herself to her feet. "Do give him my regards. If you'll excuse me, Hector, my companion have a boat to catch. have a pleasant time."
Barbossa leant back forwards and shook his head with a smirk: "Ye' always were a lover of luxury, Jones, but it seems yer' companion craves the salty unwashed life of the ocean."
Devina twisted her head to catch a glimpse of the corner by the bar that she had occupied a while ago. It was only occupied by the wig she had worn waiting for Martinez, now sopping wet and lying in a puddle by the candle. She swore.

"Drink?" the pirate offered with a smile.

. O r b i s N o n S u f f i c i t .

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 2:49 pm 
Maia
Maia

Guin and Cairbre, along with Vari, had followed their captain into the back room, ready to settle down to listen to what Jack had to say, or offer opinions if they were required. It was cozy and secluded in the back, sheltering their small group from the roistering drunkards of Tortuga – although Jack had declared to the entire tavern that anyone would be very welcome to join them. But then, folk were far easier to recruit when drunk rather than sober.

On the round wooden table there was arranged a decanter of fine port and several goblets. She poured a drink for each of them. When it came to Jack at least, thinking was best carried out with a mind addled with alcohol – not forgetting a touch of insanity. But that was what Sparrow was like. You couldn’t rely on him to be a normal man; he carried himself through life on a wave of adrenaline and luck. It was the luck they all needed, and assiduously hoped he would keep hold of.

A ship is a business, and every man and woman has a part to play in that business. With this in mind, Jack’s enterprise was important to them because it could shape their fortunes, not just his. If this plan came right, then they’d all be sitting pretty on a king’s ransom worth of riches for the rest of their lives. That was the idea, at least. Both Guin and Cairbre had been involved in piracy for a long enough time to know that the best, greediest intentions of a captain didn’t always fall through. Promises of untold fortune were the very basis of piracy, and yet they couldn’t always be kept. Cairbre and Guin were cynical, reasonable – but like any other buccaneer they cared about their wealth.

Guin took a sip of port and sat down at the table. Cairbre remained standing and leant against one of the paneled walls in a position of repose, his arms folded loosely. They were all waiting. Jack had not yet spoken up or launched into a long, rambling yet oddly inspiring speech; perhaps he was waiting too, for people to join them, for eager new employees to indoctrinate with dreams of gold. Guin found a smile was tugging up the corners of her lips as she leant back against the padded backrest of her chair, tasting and judging the port.

It was only a few moments before the door opened itself, revealing a young woman, one of the barmaids in fact; a girl with strawberry blonde hair and delicate features that instantly revealed her to Guin as someone who had been born to far greater things than could be afforded her in Tortuga. She could sniff them out, these girls who had escaped and hoped for a more bearable existence – because she had been one of them; although technically, Guin herself had been expelled from high society rather than making the choice herself.

“It seems we have our first volunteer,” Guin observed to the room in general, her smile resting easily on her features. However, this was no clear indication of her mood. Guin was good at smiling. Smiles hid and concealed whatever you might be feeling, made you safe and confident. On this occasion, though, she felt perfectly at ease – although very slightly impatient for the future to begin. This could only be a good thing. The next time they embarked on the high seas, she wanted them to be in pursuit of something with a clear purpose. In short, she wanted them to have something to aim for. It was an itch for adventure all pirates acquired. Staying still in one place simply wasn’t an option for people like them.

There was a young man standing behind Felicity, she now noticed, who’d joined the company hanging onto the girl’s coattails, it seemed. Guin raised an eyebrow. He hadn’t spoken as yet.

She glanced over towards Cairbre, to see what he made of the two newcomers. His expression remained impassive and unreadable, until he caught her glance, and he gave her a small smile. He unfolded his arms and left his spot, joining the others at the table and picking up a glass of port. It was for Jack to welcome the newcomers, and to judge their potential and worth as a crewmate; could they hold onto their stomachs during a storm? Could they keep their nerve, doing their job whilst knowing full well that if things went wrong, they could all end up on the end of a rope the next day? Cairbre wondered if Jack still cared about these credentials, or if he was desperate enough to recruit any boy, any girl.

Cairbre stood by Guin’s chair, not taking a single sip of port. His arm curled idly around the back of her chair; he hardly knew he was doing it. He was aware of Guin setting down her own glass as she watched the people in the doorway steadily.

She was so good at captivating him when he was supposed to be paying attention to work matters. She had no idea of this particular talent of hers. She was blissfully oblivious, curling a red lock of hair about her finger and resting one hand against her green corset. Had she even noticed he was there? Yes, she was looking up now and smiling at him; a natural smile instead of the expression she used on those she didn’t know.

He smiled back at her. “Looks like events are moving.” He spoke so softly that his words were audible only to her. She gave a small nod, before looking away. For a moment he thought she might not reply, before he heard her whisper.

“The wheel of fortune turns.”

An ancient philosophical concept, referring to the unpredictable nature of destiny.

~~Siggy by Lembas~~

PostPosted: November 18th, 2011, 4:09 pm 
Maia
Maia

[Good intros everyone! Now, I only hope that I can do the same with mine!]

It had been a long time. A really long time since Portia had been with Jack and his crew. The memories of being there seemed to be swept away in the past and never really remembered. Ever since she and Jack vowed to never see each other. It was a hard night for her, when they decided that. She and Jack had something back then and now she knew that it was absolutely nothing at all. Just a fling. But, how could one just forget a man such as Captain Jack Sparrow?

No one.

It took countless bottles of rum and lots of running to get him off of her mind. She had gone off the chart for a while, calming her pirating life down but she knew that she had to go back. Not even going back to her homeland of Spain made her think any different. The sea was calling to her. So, she made her way to Tortuga... The land of drunkards and wenches. Her home. Stepping onto the docks in her worn leather boots, Portia let her emerald eyes scan her surroundings. Nothing had changed since all those years ago. Especially when she looked further into town. Walking forward, all of her past started rushing back to her. She hadn't fully paid attention to everything in the area, or else she would've seen the Black Pearl docked behind her.

Making her way to her favorite old pub, she swung the door open and stared ahead. Her eyes widened as she saw Jack there standing on top of a table, trying to gather more crew for his ship. She quickly put on her cape's hood to hide her curly and fiery red hair and face. She walked inside and then looked down, trying to figure out if she should even be considering joining his crew again. It had been so long.

Swallowing hard, she made her way to the back room with her chin up, grabbing a stein of rum from off of the counter. She stood in the doorway and saw a girl talking to Jack, but remained silent. Leaning against the wall, she took a drink of her rum casually and kept her head down. She didn't want him seeing her... Yet. She looked over the rim of her cup and took a deep breath, feeling quite unfulfilled as of late. Maybe joining Jack's crew would do her some good. She needed a little more adventure in her life, before she got too old. Before the age of the pirates ended; which she hoped wasn't anytime soon.

There were pirates being killed daily, because they were careless and didn't pay attention. That's what made Portia different than the rest. She was: sly, cunning, sneaky and a bit on the untrusting side. But, when she made a friend, she was as loyal as a dog to its master. Smiling at the thought, she shook her head and looked up to the girl talking to Jack. It's weird ta know that some people don't know who Jack is... She thought to herself and shrugged.

In due time, everyone would know who he was.

Siggy set made by the amazing Lembas!

PostPosted: December 18th, 2011, 8:59 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(If there is still room I would like to snag Gibbs and Barbossa and maybe throw in my OC christine geddes)

Set 1: Nurr | Set 2: Me

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 12:49 am 
Swashbuckler
Swashbuckler

“Indeed I am, lass, come in,” Jack waved his hand for Felicity to join the growing number of potential sailors. There were some drunkards, Tortuga’s “finest” no less, but they were bound to lose a few people to the raging tides or as human sacrifices for the ancient gods of Tenochtitlan. Whichever would befall them first. He would not admit – at least not during a meeting of this nature – that his luck had seemed to wear off, or at least flicker out for the time being. Ever since these cursed dreams had started, Jack had found himself just that: cursed.

The notorious captain took a seat at the head of the scratched wooden table, hardly taking notice to the side conversations and strange glances he was receiving from those standing about the room. It was difficult to focus on anything else but these things that currently plagued his mind. Things which made him waken in the middle of the night to a cold sweat and even some physical illness.

“Ladies, gentlemen,” he began, all playfulness lost from his voice, “let us cut straight to the chase. There are things – mysterious things – that have plagued my mind as of late. I cannot put a finger on it, but I can tell you that I believe such things are in fact messages. Now you may be wondering what sort of messages I’m speaking of. I assure you they are signs from the ancient gods themselves. More specifically the Aztec gods; Tlaloc, Quetzalcoatl, Xipe Totec, and what have you.” He was rambling now, probably making himself appear even crazier than usual. “The point is… treasure. And lots of it.” With that, Jack produced the creased, folded map from his vest pocket and laid it out on the table for all to see. It certainly was old, one could gather that, and contained strange symbols and pictures of ancient temples surrounded by stone statues.

As Jack spoke, Varianna glanced about the room, silently wondering how many of the other women in this tavern had fallen prey to the man’s charming words and seductive ways. For the two of them, it had been a drunken night of freed inhibitions and too much physical contact; more than Vari had ever intended. The next morning brought with it the sobering realization of what they’d done, and Vari had been ashamed of herself to say the least. Even ten years later, she sometimes felt a bit awkward in his presence.

Yet unlike most of the other women Jack had seduced, Vari could not bring herself to place all of the blame upon him. It had been a mistake, but one they eventually had been able to overcome. Besides, there were advantages to being on Jack Sparrow’s good side. The pirate, regardless of his oddities, had always seemed to come out on top. Or close to it at least. Perhaps their friendship would serve her well on this venture and make royalty of them all.

Vámonos, Sparrow. We aren’t getting any younger here,” she pointed out, feet resting atop the table and chair tilted back at a comfortable angle. Even the most inept person could not miss both the mug of rum in her hand and the glass of port sitting before her.

He shot Vari a look as if to say he wasn’t in the mood for this sort of thing, but hurried along anyway. Details could always be filled in later, after he’d gotten enough willing souls aboard the Pearl. “This is where I intend to take us,” he said, one rough ringed finger extending out to point at a large black drawing on the map. “The tomb of Teixiptla. That is where, with any sort of good fortune, we will find treasures that even the most avaricious pirate himself could not dream of.” He sat back and allowed them to ponder over his words and the parchment before him.

++++++++++++++

[[DO IT MAETH!!!! <3 We could add Chrack if you’d like :hug: ]]

PostPosted: December 19th, 2011, 1:21 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(Lol. We should totes do it! I would love to be able to delve deeper into the darker pirating side and how Chrissy has adjusted to it. Also, friendship progression would be a super interesting thing to explore for Chrack. But I think Hector's already been claimed as he's in a post. Woops. But I still want me a Gibbs!)

PostPosted: December 21st, 2011, 5:06 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

(I think I'll just put in a starting post...because I am an impatient little pirate...hehe ;) )

Tortuga was a veritable trove of unsavory folk. Pirates, wenches, thieves, assassins, anyone who did for a bad turn could be found somewhere lurking in the shadows. There were very few good people in Tortuga, mostly because they tended to be lily livered and good for nothing but dying - so thought Gibbs as a general rule. But, when he disembarked the Pearl he made a hard line for what was, he was fairly certain, the last good person on the god forsaken spit of land. He would even break his superstition of keeping women aboard the ship, although that had well been turned sideways as Jack had a penchant for hiring any pretty faced girl who though turning pirate was a good idea. He was also fairly certain that they would be needing more than just able bodies, but a decent medic to give them a fix and he knew the lass had studied under an apothecary of sorts in New Orleans and could sew a person up as well as any doctor, if not better.

Unfortunately, the woman was hardly in any mind to join a crew at all and Gibbs was trying his best to sway her. He had explained the situation, appealed to greed - there was enough treasure involved to get any pirate going. Chrissy was not a pirate and she was not a typical dockside girl - though that was how she earned a living. She was not greedy, and would rather safety over a promise of gold.

"Oh, c'mon, lass. It'll be good fer ya, get out of here, see the world a bit more. The crew, would love to have ya back, Eagle's there and Vari and that Elliot lass, you all got on before."

Christine sighed and set down the stocking she had been mending, sending as hard a glare to the man as she could, which really only got as far as a mother's scolding.

"Joshamee, you know how I feel about this whole venture. Do you and Jack and all the rest of them learn nothing from the past? What happened to Barbossa! It could be the same here." The redhead said decidedly, and she would not be part in watching her friends damn themselves for eternity, and she frankly thought it not fair of them to ask her. Once again her blue eyes fixed firmly on her stocking.

Gibbs sighed and leaned against the door, scratching at his mutton chopped covered cheek. He looked down at the small, wisp of a girl in front of him, he could see the wear of Tortuga on her, bruises and a sickly pallor on her skin that most of the girls had from poor diet and he might as well told her he wanted her out for her own sake, but that would hardly work either. She'd tell him that it was just as dangerous out there as here. Well, if greed and self-preservation did not get her out then guilt would.

"Chrissy, we need us a medical type something awful. Who'll watch us when we get into trouble? And Jack, something's wrong with him, lass. I don't rightly know what, but someone's got to watch for him, I can't do it alone." The man gave her his best pleading look and watched her lips narrow as she considered it. She looked at Gibbs once more and sighed, rubbing a hand over her eye as if she suddenly got a headache.

"Fine. Fine, just let me change, yes?" She asked as the man grinned triumphantly as Chrissy pulled out a long coat, boots, vest and other accouterments that Gibbs had a feeling she snatched from some of her less than polite clientele.

She stepped out with Gibbs, a broad brimmed had in hand and followed him out into the street, weaving through and finding the tavern. They had made it just in time to watch Jack make his grand announcement, and though he swaggered and flailed as much as usual, she could see it - what Gibbs spoke of. Something not quite right in the man's manner. Chrissy had known him long and loved him dearly enough, but she was wary with the captain (as she was not with Gibbs who she knew was more than willing to take up for her). She did not fancy herself ever in love with him, but when she (and he for that matter) was young and stupid he had taught her the first rule of pirating very well and when she fell back he left her to bleed. They mended the relationship as best they could, and while Chrissy would still go out of the way for he and Gibbs - she had never been much for revenge - she always kept in mind that he would not do the same for her.

Gibbs led the redhead to the side, near the rest of the crew and smiled at her as she sat near Cairbre and Guin who she'd always found to be pleasant as they came from similar situations. While they seemed amused by the other people coming up Chrissy felt herself frowning and wondering just how many were expected to be expendable.

PostPosted: January 11th, 2012, 7:23 am 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

This looks fun. May I join? x

Profile       WWW