Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Waning Days of King Valacar ~ OOC Commentary
PostPosted: July 27th, 2018, 7:31 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Cool. :D I shall work that in!

Awesome. I will wait until you get your post up Hanasian. I will take some time with Roe-Zunic’s transfer of loyalty. It will be a process that has begun already and morphs over time.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 6:00 pm 
Elf
Elf

Sounds good, Jax.

I've taken the action back to Osgiliath, where Vinyarion is engaged in some character assassination in what he sees as an unfortunate necessity.

In the process, Amarwen has dropped the note, Almara has retrieved it again to come face to face with Farien. Farien very much wants to see that note.

I'd like to get another post in before the betrothal event concludes, from Therald's perspective, if at all possible.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 11:10 pm 
Elf
Elf

Dreaded double post - had to get Therald and the 3 shieldmaidens that had snuck a peek at proceedings in.

PostPosted: July 28th, 2018, 11:58 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

On a walkabout among the interwebz searching for information on Castamir and Umbar, I came across a few fandom writings.
They all made for interesting reading even if I didn't agree with all that was presented (much like PJ's interpretations).
Here are the links as they do provide some insights into the era which we write:

Observations of Umbar

Re-thinking Umbar

History of Umbar

Castamir the Usurper

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: August 1st, 2018, 12:12 am 
Elf
Elf

Hey Jax, I'll wait for you to post before I add anything further. :)

PostPosted: August 3rd, 2018, 7:39 pm 
Elf
Elf

After a few days considering various angles, I've decided that my next post will be timed for late in the evening when Amarwen will be in her chambers alone, preparing (or attempting to) to go to sleep.

PostPosted: August 6th, 2018, 9:47 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Sorry, been out of it for a while. Between a bunch of extra work, getting ready forna goat sale, and being without my phone forma few days and the release of my last book... I’ve been extra occupied!

I will try and get a post up today!

PostPosted: August 6th, 2018, 9:23 pm 
Elf
Elf

No worries - figured you might be preoccupied.

I've taken it up from where you left with an idea for Almara to consider further - possibly dovetailing with Rie's new assignment. I've also pushed the timeline through to the following morning, with Amarwen returning from seeing her father off.

PostPosted: August 9th, 2018, 6:31 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Alrighty sounds good. On my way to read the post now.

PostPosted: August 13th, 2018, 11:15 pm 
Elf
Elf

Hey Jax, it's been madness for me IRL - annual royal state agricultural fair (as I believe they are referred to in your part of the world) is underway.

I've yet to be able to find the goat exhibit but shall do so, just for you.

Read your post, btw. Good one.

PostPosted: August 15th, 2018, 8:14 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

It’s all good! Lol My life has been extra busy as well. There is a local guy who does auctions who has been wanting our help a lot lately. He is preparing for 3 at once!

Haha, awesome. :D

:) Glad you liked it, I often feel my posts are just so so. Most writen on the fly with not but a single quick read-through.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2018, 6:15 pm 
Elf
Elf

Three at once? Oh my glob!

So Amarwen's had a spectacularly bad morning - couldn't see how it would be anything but given the stupendous hangover she'd have from the night before.

Figured Almara might not yet have shown - business to deal with Rie - and wanted to capture both the political realities Amarwen faces and something of the bond between Dol Amroth and Edhellond.

Amarwen would be particularly dismayed by all she has observed of the court (Farien, Girdean, Calimir). And, I thought it likely that her friendship with Halvarin, known to Eldacar for he commented on it to her father, when viewed with her reticence towards to the betrothal give rise to inevitable questions about where her loyalties lay. Eldacar would be particularly vigilant regarding securing any of the 'northern' ports - the prospect of losing Edhellond and with it Dol Amroth would trouble the crown prince and he'd want to explore Amarwen's loyalties carefully.

And I have something of a plan involving Farien & Calimir - the wheeling and dealing is not yet done. Not by a long shot, particularly when Farien is trying to engineer a match between two rival families for the throne. Rather than cast Farien as an out and out villian, I'd like to see her played more nuanced. She will have her own thoughts about who should secede Valacar - purist rather than Line of Kings. However, she has sons to protect should the balance of power shift...as well as herself as wife to a deposed King.

I think it unlikely Farien would be so foolish as to undermine her husband's rule. However, she's a canny politician with considerable reach and power. She'd be using that to assure the future of her most valuable assets - her sons.

PostPosted: August 20th, 2018, 4:10 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Sounds all good to me. :)

As my last post suggests, I figure on bringing Almara into things as a catalyst. She is unaware yet, but the plan is to use her to win the hearts and minds of the people, then try and incite them to make her queen. Not that she would be queen, but would be forced to mary Castamir. (As I think it was he who would sit on the throne?)

PostPosted: August 20th, 2018, 4:51 pm 
Elf
Elf

Intriguing! Me likes. Sooo many twists and turns to take with that....

Castamir's current wife - is she offed to make way for the "new queen"?

Almara - is she being used by the Catamirians.? She could be recognised as royal, but Farien and the court would never bestow "heir" status upon her given the circumstances of her birth (out of wedlock).

Amarwen - is she going to demand Farien release her now that Aldamir has his two heirs...only be disappointed by the above?

So much to be done with this :-D

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 6:41 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Honestly I couldn’t remember if Castamir was married, but I figured either way it could work itself out. The “marriage” would be a cover, naturally. In truth they wouldn’t even have to get married so long as the people thought they did.

The courts and Farien will never recognize Almara, true enough. That is why they will urge her to do things that will win over the people of Gondor, in hopes that the people call for a change in leadership.

As for Amarwen, that’s your call, but it would add a neat detail to the story if she saw it as a way out, then of course another crushing blow when she realizes it will never be allowed. It could, however work (in knowingly) in the favor of the guildsmen. If Amarwen herself used her position to endorse Almara to the public, in hopes that it would free her from her obligations to Aldamir.

Then if Girdean’s plan came to fruition and the people called for the change in leadership, Almara would be faced with resigning herself to the same cage Amarwen now finds herself in, or tearing from Amarwen her one hope of freedom.

*shrugs*

The plan doesn’t even have to work. In fact I figured it would cause a split in the public opinion and lead to civil war at best. But i am easy going, we can take this anywhere you guys like!

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2018, 9:54 pm 
Elf
Elf

Cools...

I've been thinking further and see this has a lot of potential. :thumbs up:

Amarwen, in the end, would find it very difficult to endorse anything that would see the Line of Kings disrupted and Castamir installed as King. She is a loyalist through and through.

Amarwen will definitely support Almara at court once she discovers Almara's parentage. She will push to have Almara recognised as Aldamir's daughter. However, Amarwen will not be released from betrothal for I think it unlikely that the court would agree to make Almara fifth in line to the throne.

As for Girdean and co...I think it likely that they are using Almara. They may tell her all sorts of things but at the end of the day, even if she was recognised as Aldamir's heir, they would never countenance a match to Castimir or his heirs in truth. She carries the same Rhovanion blood Aldamir and Eldacar do and that is the crux of the Kin Strife. Castimir and his ilk are purists.

The interplay between Almara and Amarwen during this time will be interesting...and Almara could come to have a very powerful role indeed as daughter but not heir of a prince - vantage, protection but none of the responsibilities of heirs.

As for Farien, when it becomes clear that Eldacar's reign will fail, she will accelerate her own plans. She's already looking to secure a match between Ornedil and Castimir's daughter. Of course, she will recognise that will not be enough. Once Castimir is installed, it will be quite easy to eradicate any inconvenient heirs to the deposed king.

We know while Ornedil dies, Eldacar and Aldamir manage to escape Castimir's sack of Osgiliath (cannon). Amarwen's father is captured and executed with Ornedil (non cannon). Aldamir and Amarwen do not wed - but why? And why is it that when Osgiliath is beseiged and the Kin Strife breaks out into open war, is Amarwen in Edhellond?

I think I have stumbled upon the answer.

Farien will negotiate, using Amarwen as currency, a means for her sons and grandsons to survive Castamir's taking of the crown. Banish them, keep them under constant guard, but alive if Castimir would secure Amarwen for one of his sons (a pairing of untainted lineage and royal ancestry). Her parents are vehemently opposed to this - they've already knocked him back and it didn't end well.

Eldacar, I think, will discover this and be horrified. He will dispatch Amarwen to the relative safety of Edhellond. He may well be forced to have his wife charged with treason... and this could be used as a trigger for the restive populace...a king tainted by Rhovanion blood who would arrest his own wife.

As for Therald (Amarwen's father who is captured and then executed with Ornedil)...I think he will lead an Edhellond contingent to Osgiliath not only out of loyalty but to protect his daughter who, should Castimir seize the crown and the realm, faces a grim prospect indeed shackled to the son of an Usurper.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 22  Next