Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: The Waning Days of King Valacar ~ OOC Commentary
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 3:23 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Going to give this RP idea a go. Jax has expressed interest and has created a thread for The Waning Days of King Valacar Bio Information. and I have started The RP Story Thread here.This thread will be used for the planning and any out of character (OOC) questions and commentary about the RP tale itself, keeping the RP story thread free of out of character posts. I'll be posting the RP Story thread shortly. Anyone wanting to join this RP at any time please express your interest here.

The Waning Days of King Valacar
1428 to 1432 of the Third Age

Background Summary:
(Reference: The Encyclopedia of Arda)

During King Rómendacil's reign as King of Gondor, he developed a strong alliance with the Northmen who lived to the east of Mirkwood during his battles with the Easterlings. To further this close friendship between Gondor and these Northmen, Rómendacil sent his son Valacar as an ambassador to the court of their leader Vidugavia, who styled himself King of Rhovanion (The Northmen would ride to aid Gondor a thousand+ years later under Eorl the Young, and will settle in the lands gifted by Gondor and become know as the Rohirrim)

Rómendacil had intended that his son should learn something of the language and culture of the Men of Rhovanion, but he had not foreseen how strongly Valacar would be drawn to the Northmen. While there, Valacar fell in love with Vidumavi, Princess of Rhovanion, daughter of King Vidugavia. They were wed, and to them a son was born, the heir to the throne of Gondor. This union would be the catalyst that would bring great troubles in the future. It was believed that the pure Númenórean blood of the Royal House would be lost with this mingling with the lesser men of the north and was seen by many as an ill thing. As it turned out, Vidumavi died before Valacar would become King of Gondor, and when he did become king, divisions in Gondor started to form and unrest started to stir. The trouble wasn't so much with Valacar as king, but his heir was a half-breed. Valacar's son was raised with the name Vinitharya while they lived in Rhovanion, but was named Eldacar when when Valacar returned with him to Gondor.

By the last years of Valacar's reign, certain southern provinces of Gondor saw this unrest break out into full rebellion. In 1432, the year Valacar died, this rebellion became a civil war over the succession of the Kingship. Castamir, was the great grandson of King Calmacil. His father Calimehtar was Rómendacil's younger brother, and saw himself as the rightful King of Gondor due to his pure Numenorean bloodline. The next fifteen years were a dark and bloody period in the history of Gondor. Eldacar managed to secure his throne in 1448 when he returned from exile in Rhovanion with an army of Northmen. By this time, Castamir had become known as 'The Usurper' when it was seen he was not a kind king. His only care was with the shipbuilders and sea captains of the southern provinces, where his support remained strong. When Eldacarreturned, he some support from the northern and western provinces, the fighting was brutal. In 1447-1448, Castamir was driven out and took refuge in Umbar, and were from then known as The Black Numenoreans and the Corsairs of Umbar.

The RP starts a couple years before King Valacar's passing and Eldacar's taking up the throne of Gondor. It will be what I call 'loose canon' where the outline of event and major characters, the people are set, but all the people and events unmentioned are for the most part wide open within these boundaries. Characters should be within reason for that area of Middle Earth at the time (no part elf-part maia-part human super warriors with wizard powers, etc.).

Again, if anyone wishes to participate in this RP, show your expression of interest here.

Last edited by Hanasian on May 5th, 2017, 2:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: RP based on the Gondorian 'Kin-strife' ?
PostPosted: January 21st, 2017, 7:36 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I'm still interested in doing this if there is any expression of interest.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: Rp based on the Gondorian 'Kin-strife' ?
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 1:54 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Hey,

I've been out of electricity (and thus internet) for the past seven days, but if you are interested I am always up for a good RP.

As you know my detailed knowledge of Tolkien's writings may be a bit lacking in many areas but I will try my absolute best to keep things cannon accurate. If there is a question I will just PM you and ask or something to that effect if needed.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 8:05 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Good to see ya jAx! Was wondering where you have been. Hope all is well with you.

Basically, the summary I posted above is pretty much all there is in Tolkien's writing. It leaves a lot of space for one to fill in the 'grit' with all the characters who would have been around in that day. I think to keep it manageable, we'll have to do it in 'chapters' or a better term, 'Acts'. I'll try and put more thought into this and get the summary and outline posted, and will get a few character bios posted for a start.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 8:10 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

It's nice to be back! Lol It's all good. My wife missed running water and a refrigerator for the seven days we were out of electricity. I was ok without all that... I just missed my music and my forums! LOL

Alrighty, sounds good. Would it be best for me to have multiple characters or just one?

Also, how long term might you be thinking on the RP? I had an idea for a "side plot" of sorts in my own character's development but it would be a lengthy drawn out ordeal so I didn't want to mess with it unless the RP was going to be a rather long lived one.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 12:32 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I think it will be a long lived one. Not sure how 'fast' it will proceed being that life is what it is, but there will be room for character development. I plan on developing a few along the way.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 2:20 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Cool. Sounds fun. :D

I will probably do a couple characters then, if that is ok.

What are your thoughts about the women of Gondor being involved in the fighting? I know that was not a common thing but just tossing around some ideas.

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 9:54 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

It sounds good! I plan on having a woman character who will hold her own, both in court and in a fight.

I guess I see the kin strife as quite a brutal and unconventional affair, and not all the combatants were conventional soldiers. The kin strife is one of the two events mentioned in the canon timeline that caused Gondor's population to wane. The other was a plague.

Maybe a thread with a 'Kin Strife'title could be created in the characters forum where we can post bios. If you are ready to post one, go ahead and start it, otherwise I will when I get some details firmed up. :)

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 23rd, 2017, 10:06 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

I'm still kicking around a few ideas on the characters. I want to have a general outline for their development prior to writing up the Bio. Hoping I will have time tomorrow, but if not then Wed. I have the evening free (supposedly so far) So I will make sure to at least get to it by then.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2017, 9:18 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Got my characters posted. These two will be my starting two and I may add another one or two later on. Just depends on how my mind progresses their development.

Here is the link.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=23224

PostPosted: January 27th, 2017, 8:37 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I'm framing this out now so should have it going by Sunday hopefully.
Great characters! I have two I'll post, and there will likely be some few NCEs in the mix.
Where do you envision your characters starting out at? Just curious.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: The Kin Strife of Gondor ~ Planning & OOC Commentary
PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 12:53 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Thanks. I am lookong forward to your starter post! I figured they would probably start out near or at Minas Tirith or in a military group where Rie-Zunic would be stationed. Though I had in my mind that "home" would be Minas Tirith.

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 10:00 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I'm thinking Osgiliath will be the start, as it was the seat of government until this time.
Note that five years in to the kin strife, Osgiliath is for the most part destroyed and the Palantir lost in the Anduin. So the fighting in this city had to be really intense. :(

Getting it all sorted but had an interruption thanks to Il Don. Can't talk about it here as it is illegal. I'll just say it has delayed med in getting things done.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 28th, 2017, 8:58 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Osgiliath would work just fine. I remembered the Palantir was there and lost in the Anduin but I had not realized that it was the former seat of power. Sounds like a plan, though. Wherever the King reigned from is Where Rie-Zunic's family would have settled, due to their long held tradition of dedicating their first son to service in his military as well as their local work for the King's causes.

Eh, no worries. I'm no stranger to interruptions. Life happens. (unfortunate sometimes but I get the feeling life doesn't really care if it is unfortunate for us... :P )

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 6:31 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Just to give you a heads up as I write this opener. It will start with Prince Eldacar returning to Osgiliath to mixed fanfare. I'll have my two characters there, with a third as well. Anyway, sorry to keep ya waiting, but I've only been able to give it about an hour or so a night. I'll post the prologue to the tale as well and put links to this thread and the character thread at the beginning.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 31st, 2017, 9:53 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Sounds good.

No worries on the time, I know schedules rarely accommodate RP demands as we desire. (not in my life anyways) Looking forward to it, but by all means, take the time you need to get it the way you want it! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 348 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22  Next