Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ~ Fracturing Of Arnor ~ OOC and Commentary
PostPosted: March 2nd, 2017, 9:51 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I'm transferring the Fracturing of Arnor RP on Council of Elrond over here due to my having continual tech issues with the site. It's a biit epic in scale, so if anyone see's an opportunity to join with a character, welcome. I'll have the RP transferred sometime today here.

==================================

The Fracturing of Arnor ~ OOC

This RP is an attempt at a Tolkien historical RP beginning in the City of Annuminas in its waning days before the Kingdom of Arnor was divided into three smaller kingdom states of Rhuadur, Cardolan, and Arthedain. The year this RP takes place is 775 of the Third Age. The City of Annuminas was the grand city of Elendil which he built upon the shore of Lake Evendim, but several centuries on, is falling into disrepair. It is still the seat of the Throne of Arnor, for Elendur, the reigning King of Arnor, had commenced an ambitious construction project planned by his father King Valandur. Having seen the need of a fortified stronghold city for the defence of the Kingdom, the City of Fornost had been planned. Valandur gave his son Elendur charge to oversee its construction. He had hoped to see its completion, but the lack of resources and manpower had caused delays in its finishing, and now, with King Elendur knowing his life was reaching his last years, charged his son Prince Eärendur with oversight of Fornost's completion.

Prince Eärendur would assume the crown in two years (777). The City of Annúminas has been declining over the years with less and less population living there. The trend was for the younger families to go to Fornost to live and work, and the Kingdom of Arnor as a whole was slowly shifting its core there as the new city neared completion.

To the south at the tip of the Weather Hills, the great watchtower of Amon Sûl was intact and was a center of power of Arnor with it's Palantir. Other places to note would be Bree, at this time inhabited by men as hobbits weren't mentioned as settling in Bree until 300 years later in the year 1050, and Tharbad to the south, a major point of commerce with its bridge and sea-going river boats. Earendur's eldest son is Amliath, and for this tale, the younger sons will be twins, named Cäontar and Daúremir, born in 740 making them 35 years of age.

This tale will be mostly court intrigue and strife and such between the factions of Arnor and Eärendur's sons. There would be the early Rhuadur/Cardolan/Arthedain fractures beginning to show along with the sibling rivalry between the younger twins and their older brother Amliach, heir to the throne of Arnor. There also would be friction between the twins, and each of them had their area of military responsibility (Daúremir in East/Rhuadur, & Cäontar in the South/Cardolan). Any characters outside the men of Arnor would likely be Elven diplomats from Rivendell and the western ports, men from Gondor, and men from Rhovanion.

This RP would be kept within the confines of Middle Earth canon but allow some leeway for artistic license and I'm hoping there would be enough interest in such an RP in this historical setting. If you would be interested, post your expression of interest and/or character profiles here, and/or you can PM me.

Some Background:

• King Elendur - He will pass away in the year 777. This RP begins in 775.
  • Eärendur - Elendur's son and heir apparent. In this tale he has been overseeing the building of Fornost Erain.
  • Amlaith (canon) – Eldest son of Eärendur (named by Tolkien and is currently 49 years of age (HoME XII))
  • Bettina (non-canon) - a daughter born in 733 making her 42 years of age. (fictional - with few exceptions, Tolkien never named the women born into the royal line in the third age)
  • Cäontar and Daúremir (non-canon), Younger twins sons born in 740 making them 35 years of age at the time of this tale. (canon has two younger sons of Eärendur as their rivalry with their older brother led to the division of Arnor in the year 863 of the Third Age)

For the most part the three brothers don't get along, especially the twins with Amlaith of which whom they are jealous of his birthright as the eldest son.

Bettina for the most part remains aloof of her brothers' bickering and battles, but she has thoughts of possibly becoming queen after her brothers kill each other. To this end she has dedicated herself to studies of the lore of Numenor, and when she has the ear of her father and he is lamenting his sons attitude toward each other, will subtly remind him that there were queens in Numenor.

Cäontar is serving in the Royal Army of Arnor as a lieutenant commander, and is assigned to the southern watch (Cardolan).

Daúremir is serving in the Royal Army of Arnor as a lieutenant commander, and is assigned to the eastern watch (Rhuadur).

The grandsons as is their duty do their part in the army and are quite skilled in tactics and military strategy, but in secret have been gathering loyalties to themselves among the rank and file soldiers, in effect creating their own internal networks within the ranks of the King's army. Of course all loyalties are to King Elendur, and to Prince Eärendur, but these sub-loyalties to each of the grandsons would flow under the surface, with granddaughter Bettina manipulating things to her advantage.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Re: ~ Fracturing Of Arnor ~ OOC and Commentary
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 3:53 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Thanks, Hanasían, I will post my character descriptions this weekend. They may be subject to change as the story proceeds, but I'm guessing that's okay. :-D

PostPosted: March 3rd, 2017, 5:11 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Yes that's fine. Mine will too :)
Start a thread in the characters forum and we can post them there!

And now that this is here, I seem to have regained my muse for this RP.
I actually started to reconstruct my post that I lost last week on CoE.
Hope to have it up this weekend sometime.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 2nd, 2018, 7:22 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

This RP has been an aborted one on two other sites, and I think the scope is way too big t get any traction. I like the era and the concept, but think it's too court-political and macro to get into the day to day collaborative RP. Think this will have to go into the fanfic story column.

~ ~ ~

- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 3rd, 2018, 1:08 am 
Elf
Elf

Sure thing

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 11:28 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I'm still interested in continuing, would some time lapses work?

PostPosted: January 9th, 2018, 3:59 pm 
Elf
Elf

Given that the fracturing of Arnor occured over several generations, I think that the scope is indeed too vast.

We'd be constantly developing up characters...and that would reduce plot momentum to an awkward lumbering pace.

PostPosted: December 15th, 2023, 8:53 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Spambump

Last bumped by Hanasian on December 15th, 2023, 8:53 pm.

Profile       WWW