Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 18th, 2024, 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: First Age RP - who might be interested?
PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 4:29 am 
Elf
Elf

Alrighty folks, bold as this may be, considering delving back into the First Age - specifically the aftermath of the Battle of Unnumbered Tears.

Roles aplenty, given this battle brought together in great cataclysm various races of Middle Earth, Fair and Foul.

My protagonist will be Elora Starsong ( character profile below). Possible reference to other Valar (Oromë, Tulkas and her twin Melkor in chief).

Quote:
Ainur

Name: Elora Starsong

Race: Ainur - not Maia but officially expunged from the annals as Valar

Height: 6 foot

Weight: 165 pounds

Build: Lithe

Hair: Copper curls fall to her hips

Eyes: Green and gold, not unlike a forest glade illuminated by the sun

Occupation: Warrior, wanderer, huntress and some say trickster. Whilst Varda brought the stars, Yavanna the wide forests, Manwe the wind and Ulmo the seas, Elora brought language and song.

Personality: Fiercely independent and inclined to challenge anything she sees fit, including her own kin. Prone to merriness, frequently mischievous and irreverent approach. Elora rarely displays her sorrow and her wrath, when rarely unveiled, is terrifying for its power. Only one is mightier than she, her brother Melkor (Morgoth). Like Melkor, Elora is considered a spirit of fire.

So, who's game?

Post subject: Re: First Age RP - who might be interested?
PostPosted: December 10th, 2017, 11:54 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I will keep an eye on this for sure!

It sounds like a very neat idea, but given my schedule as of late I hate to make promises as I have 5 RPs up and running as it is.

I would have to brush up on the events as well. It has been far too long since I read any of that.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: December 12th, 2017, 4:15 am 
Elf
Elf

Totes understand Jax. Timing of this will be important and I will bear that in mind. Unlikely this will get going until 2018 some time, just to give you an indicative timeframe.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2017, 9:32 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Alrighty, in that case keep me as a possability. By that time who knows how my schedule will look. Lol

PostPosted: December 19th, 2017, 5:26 pm 
Elf
Elf

Deal! Hopefully we can get a few more on board. Aiming for 4 contributors (seems to be the magic number for RP critical mass in my experience).

PostPosted: December 27th, 2017, 12:21 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Yeah, I generally like anywhere from a 2 person up to 4

Much more can get a little much for me.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 5:41 am 
Elf
Elf

Our context will be the aftermath of Nirnaeth Arnoediad.

The following excerpt provides an overview, taken from J. E. A. Tyler's work, "The Complete Tolkien Companion", (2002), 3rd Ed, Pan Books, pp 470 - 471.

Quote:
Nirnaeth Arnoediad 'Tears Unnumbered' (Sind.)

The name given in the lore and traditions of the Eldar to the Fifth Battle of Beleriand, or more properly the fourth day of that great conflict upon the desert Anfauglith, when with great slaughter and terror the armies of the Eldar and their allies, the Edain, were overthrown for ever by Morgoth Bauhglir of Angband, their ancient foe. It also forms the words of the Curse pronounced by the Valar upon the rebelling Sons of Fëanor, and on those who followed them into exile.

A supreme irony lies in the fact that this battle, with all its appalling consequences, actually came about as a result of a renewed (and admirable) determination on the part of the Eldar to lure Morgoth into a conflict from which his forces could never escape. This new confidence and boldness was in turn the product of a string of military successes which the Eldar and the Edain - loosely grouped under the leadership of Maedhros, eldest son of Fëanor - had been winning as the second decade since the Dagor Bragollach wore away and he shock of that defeat likewise diminished.

Yet in the winning of these victories they had alerted Morgoth to their renascent strength, and so he was not unprepared (as seems to have been hoped by the Elf-captains Fingon and Maedhros). Moreover, by the adroit uses of treachery their Enemy learned of all their plans, and so was able to forestall them by a grand design of his own, which proved utterly victorious.

The conflict itself is described in most vivid fashion in existing works, and few will wish for more than a summary. Though there was great heroism, and deeds were done whose consequences outlasted more grievous results of the Nirnaeth, the Eldar and Edain, themselves lured into a gigantic trap, were virtually destroyed. But there was no rout, and Elves and Men - and Dwarves - fought as long as they were able. And because of this some survived: most notably the Elf-Host of Gondolin, led by Turgon, whose retreat was made only possible by the self-sacrifice of the Men of Dor-Lómin, led by Húrin and Huor.

But Azaghâl of the Dwarves was slain, and Fingon High King of the Noldor, and Huor together with all the Men of Dor-Lómin (save Húrin only), and the Men of Brethil died, and the Elves of Nargothrond led by Gwindor son of Guilin were all slain. The realms of the Sons of Fëanor were sewpt away for ever, though the brothers themselves survived. Mithrin was overrun, and Dor-Lómin also. The armies of Morgoth penetrated even to the Falas, where they sacked the Havens of Eglarest and Brithombar.

From here, as from other places now overtaken by disaster, Elves and Men fled to the Havens of Sirion, or here and there as they might. The black tide flowed around Doriath, Nargothrond, and Gondolin. But their days were doomed, and they also fell, in time, and those who survived joined the earlier survivors at the Havens. As the final stroke, they were then assaulted by others of their kin.

After this internecine attack few indeed remained of the proud hosts who once crossed over the Sea to wreak their will upon Morgoth and regain the Simarils. Before the Nirnaeth the Noldor of Middle-Earth were a coherent and potent military force, occupying and ordering many fair realms in north-western Middle-Earth; but after that day they were a fugitive people, dispossess of all they had held dear and bereaved of many of their close kin. The only hope of Elves and Men now lay in the West.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2017, 9:15 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

So after all that when the Noldor were not more than fugitives? Sounds like a neat setting. Would the RP be about the fugitives or the hope in the west and the continued struggles of the elves and men?

PostPosted: December 30th, 2017, 5:49 pm 
Elf
Elf

Our RP will kick off with a group of people seeking safety at the Havens of Sirion - having been unable to secure safety at Gondolin, Nargothrond or Doriath.

The reason for this is that Gondolin must remain hidden as Morgoth is now actively hunting its location. Those of Nargothrond refuse to take in survivors, for all those they send to Nirnaeth have perished and Orodreth has not forgotten the role that the Sons of Fëanor have played in his brother's death. Between that and a fear that Morgoth will pursue these survivors and bring ruin upon Nargothrond, Orodreth sends them on lending only provision and brief respite.

Doriath, who holds a Simaril, refuses to allow any allies of the Sons of Fëanor through their defences (recall, Thingol refused to send forces to Nirnaeth against the counsel of Melian as he is becoming increasingly jealous of his Simaril).

Thus, with no where else to go, they press on for the Havens of Sirion. Of course, they are harried and pursued by Morgoth's creatures and beset at all turns. This draws Elora, now largely hidden, to do what she might to protect these survivors. Such is the nature of the Guardian of Arda. She slips amongst them in the hurly burly, and whilst she cannot fight without revealing herself, she can aid in other ways.

Elora herself, must be careful. If her brother captures her once more, and already weakened by what he did to her when she went to free Húrin, she fears what her brother will do with her powers (she knows he has twisted Maiar into dragons and balrogs and sent them against his foes). But also, she has received a warning from Nienna (who has found a way to contact Elora in her dreams) that even the Havens will not be safe.

Thus, she hopes to not only aid the survivors, but to some how fend off the coming danger...of course, she does not know that it will Maehdros and Maglor, two staunch allies and friends, responsible for it. And she cannot afford to be identified and detained by those she aids.

PostPosted: December 31st, 2017, 12:55 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Sounds quite interesting! :)

Let me know when you get things up and running, I would be interested if I feel able to keep up with another RP.

PostPosted: January 8th, 2018, 11:34 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Well I am intrigued. I've delved into the First Age myself. I would like to participate and since it is 2018 I think its time to get this one rolling ;)

I would like to play two characters, one on either side of the battle. Being particularly fond of those two eldest Feanorians I find myself siding with them, but I've always been a sort of devil's advocate.

Are you adverse to First Age elves having gifts? Ex. Elrond's healing, Fingon's strength, the ability to talk with animals and nature?

PostPosted: January 10th, 2018, 8:27 am 
Elf
Elf

Moryár wrote:
Well I am intrigued. I've delved into the First Age myself. I would like to participate and since it is 2018 I think its time to get this one rolling ;)

I would like to play two characters, one on either side of the battle. Being particularly fond of those two eldest Feanorians I find myself siding with them, but I've always been a sort of devil's advocate.

Are you adverse to First Age elves having gifts? Ex. Elrond's healing, Fingon's strength, the ability to talk with animals and nature?

Yay - that's great to hear. Just a couple of thoughts. :)

This RP will kick off some time after the battle itself - bearing in mind that the survivors are fleeing and already have been turned away by several realms as mentioned earlier. Also worth bearing in mind that there are more than two sides. There are those allied to Morgoth. There are those allied to the survivors. And then there are those allied to realms that have turned the survivors away. Also, interesting, there are those who were once captives of Morgoth but since won their way free/were released...it is within cannon that such folk were outsides, not let back in within the Noldor due to fears that they had somehow been corrupted and turned, willingly or not, to Morgoth's service.

You're more than welcome to take on one or both of the eldest Sons of Fëanor, both of whom are devoted allies with Elora. Friends.

As for gifts...happy to go with cannon on that. The Eldar in the First Age were potent. Powerful. They already had the ability to understand the natural world around them. They were the Smiths of the Eldar and so they bent that world to their will. Howeve, I'd like to keep the Eldar Eldar, so to speak. The Noldor are powerful but in the First Age they are also young as people. Innocent, almost. Not grown into their full power seen in, say the Third Age, where both Rings of Power and centuries of experience amplified some of the Eldar (Galadriel, Círdan etc).

:)