Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: .:Bilbo's Party!:.
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 1:08 pm 

So, if you were granted a golden inked invitation to Bilbo's one hundreth and eleventh birthday party....what would it be like? Would you attend as an Elven guest of honor , a Dwarf who aided in making the party gifts, or another shire folk who came to eat, drink, and dance the night away? What did you imagine the party like when You read that chapter? Fill us in on your thoughts! :)

I loved this chapter, perhaps it was a bit frivolous to some, but to me it was soo colorful and fun loving, a great contrast to the final chapters of the story. It showed the happy go lucky attitude of the hobbits, before they headed out on their journey, I also think it would have been a great memory to have for them along the way, remembering safer, happier timies. I could only imagine what it was like to have so much food, drink, dancing, music and so on...let alone to GET gifts for someone else's birthday?! What a fun and happy night! Now it's your turn, what did You think?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 5:15 pm 
Istari
Istari

whoa...i really thought it to be very joyful, and vivid...of course i imagined the food....and the whole town there....wondering about bilbo and frodo (the sencond time i read it) i dont think i would opt to take my nazgul form for such a party...but perhaps a calm sorcerer who had met bilbo long ago.....*wonders about icon*

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 7:02 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I imagined it colorful, noisy, lots of little tents filled with food and hobbits....
I would be an elf. Not a guest of honor, just a friend or something.
HOw they portrayed it in the movie was well done I believe. I imagined it a bit like that, just a little less dark

Well, :-D :annoyed: :blink: maybe not...

[& = ! $ ?]

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 10:30 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Hobbits being what they are, you probably wouldn't have as much fun, unless you were a Hobbit. From all I've read about them, they're probably not all that trusting of any other race, even the dwarfs. They are suspicious of Bilbo and his dealings with the other races, and later to Frodo as well (but to a lesser degree). I'd just as soon be a Hobbit at the party, eating and drinking.

Translation of the blade.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 1st, 2006, 11:58 pm 
Vala
Vala

Location: somewhere sympathy is more than just a way of leaving

Bilbo's party always provided for me, as you said, a strong contrast to the end of the story. The people attending the party, the overall feel of the book, and even the Shire itself have all changed dramatically in the end from what they were in this scene.
All the same, I would have loved to be there. Hobbits know how to party! I loved watching Frodo dance (alright that was in the movie). That was my favorite part of the whole party scene. And of course Merry and Pippin. I love those mischievous hobbits! It would have been nice to see some of Gandalf's infamous fireworks too!
I don't remember there being Elves or Dwarves there. :confused: I thought it was just the hobbits and Gandalf. Still, if there were, I'd like to go as a hobbit to the party because I'd have the most fun, but be an Elf afterwards, because I've always wanted to be an Elf.
I've alwasy found it rather curious that hobbits give other people presents on there birthday. Quite nice though, as you'd get many more presents a year that way! And old Bilbo gave out some pretty nice ones it says.
That's about all I can think of to say about this topic at the moment, but I liked this thread. Very creative idea tin!
~T.T

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2006, 12:14 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tinuviel's Tears wrote:
Bilbo's party always provided for me, as you said, a strong contrast to the end of the story. The people attending the party, the overall feel of the book, and even the Shire itself have all changed dramatically in the end from what they were in this scene.
All the same, I would have loved to be there. Hobbits know how to party! I loved watching Frodo dance (alright that was in the movie). That was my favorite part of the whole party scene. And of course Merry and Pippin. I love those mischievous hobbits! It would have been nice to see some of Gandalf's infamous fireworks too!
I don't remember there being Elves or Dwarves there. :confused: I thought it was just the hobbits and Gandalf. Still, if there were, I'd like to go as a hobbit to the party because I'd have the most fun, but be an Elf afterwards, because I've always wanted to be an Elf.
I've alwasy found it rather curious that hobbits give other people presents on there birthday. Quite nice though, as you'd get many more presents a year that way! And old Bilbo gave out some pretty nice ones it says.
That's about all I can think of to say about this topic at the moment, but I liked this thread. Very creative idea tin!
~T.T

Dwarfs were ther during the party, but only to help, not to partake. At least in the book, that is.

Translation of the blade.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2006, 8:27 am 

Thank you everyone for your replies, and feel free to keep discussing it. Yes, I know the book doesn't mention elves there nor dwarves directly beyond planning the party, ...but it was just creativity on my part to get our thoughts going. :) I loved all your descriptions, like Mornie Utulie's comment it would be vivid, White Lady's comment it would be noisy...imagine all the laughter and congratulations being thrown around, Dumanyu- I think you'd have all the food and drink one could want there as a hobbit :) and Tinuviel's Tears, thank you for your comments too...Hobbits certainly did know how to party in that scene!

(and, side note, Mornie Utulie, my icon is for a club here in A-U, for people who are of age to vote, hope that helps!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 2nd, 2006, 3:41 pm 

Ah, the party scene, one of my favourite parts of the entirety of the trilogy. The whole prospect of the party fills you with excitement and wonder at all the hubbub going on. Bilbo just wants to get some peace and quiet, and the Shire just wants a good party. [Or rather, a chance to get gifts and drink ale!] :P Ya know, I wonder if the hobbits always throw big parties such as that for Bilbo every year? It'd be an awesome task, with definite rewards at the end!

The party also gives you a good look at all the different kinds of people Bilbo knows. Dwarves, Elves, galore! Not to mention a Wizard! Sometime's it seems that the Hobbits lives revolve around this special event, as they are all so eager to pitch in and help. But I guess there's also the fact that not every Hobbit lives to be a hundred and eleven years old! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 10:18 am 
Vala
Vala

^ I think it was mainly that elaborate because it was his 111th. Also, Bilbo knew he was going away, and he wanted to go out with a bang. A big bang. Sly old hobbit. :P And he did go out with the bang too.
You're right about it filling you up with a lot of wondrous excitement. Some people complain about the beginning of FOTR being dull, but I thought it was engrossing fright fomr the first. I was so interested to see what this party was going to be like that I dived right into the book, and before I knew it I was off on adventures...........
The party scene definitely gets youexcited and gets you engaged in the beginning of the story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 6:12 pm 

Haha... yes, he was a sly old hobbit for tricking everyone like that. I wonder how everyone felt afterwards. Seeing how Hobbits don't like anything queer or odd, do you think they might have become suspicious? Or do you think they would have dismissed it as a really good joke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 8:36 pm 
Vala
Vala

^ I think most of them were so drunk that they didn't really care, or dismissed it as a side effect of too much ale. :)
I think Frodo was probably the only one who was suspicious. He knew the most about Bilbo and was probably one of the least drunk, so he probably had more suspicions about what Bilbo was up to than the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 8:48 pm 

And let us not forget about the ever watchful Gandalf. He was present too, and probably the first one to realise what had happened. We saw how quickly he got back to Bag End.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 11:43 pm 
Vala
Vala

Indeed, Gandalf does seem to be all knowing. He knew what Bilbo was up to before Frodo did. But I believe that's because Bilbo had told Gandalf what he was going to do, whereas Frodo was only a very good guesser since he knew Bilbo so well. Gandalf was certainly sharp though. He knew Bilbo would not be able to leave the Ring on his own. He went to help Bilbo do that. I must say, Gandalf was quite as sly as old Bilbo just then, if not a good deal more sly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 11:52 pm 
Istari
Istari

yeah, i think its established that gandalf knew it all....weeeell....not really, but he at least knew something about the ring *vaguely*

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2006, 11:56 pm 
Vala
Vala

He knew that Bilbo was going to try and leave. He had suspicions about the Ring. He knew it was too dangerously powerful for Bilbo to take it with him safely at least. I think he must have gone because he knew Bilbo to be in danger if he took the Ring with him, even if he didn't know it was the One Ring just then. Gandalf was sharo and very shrewd. He always knew more then he let on he knew.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2006, 1:48 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

Oh, I always loved this part in the book, and the movie :P It seemed to be the carefree side of the shire and our main characters, which we don't get to see a whole lot of. Plus, during most of the trilogy, we find how dark, dangerous and epic Middle Earth. In Bilbo's party, though, everything is simple and fun, feasting and dancing, gifts and ale.

I like the line "Half the Shire's been invited. And the rest of them are turning up anyway." Truly a picture of Hobbit nature! Always nosy and fun-loving!

"You said: I know that this will hurt, but if I don't break your heart then things will just get worse..."

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next