Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 25th, 2024, 5:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 8:08 am 
Istari
Istari

yeah, europe does have heaps of mythology, but it's all specific to one country/small group of countries. what tolkien did was create something that encompasses the entire continent - he didn't just add to european mythology, he brought it all together.

you don't even have to look hard for the parellels. they're all right there, and i think that was the whole point - tolkien wanted to present middle earth as history, and being backed up by other sources in a way gives it more validity; and the prescence of ideas we're already familiar with makes middle earth feel more familiar, as though we already know it.

i strongly disagree with some of your parallels. eru is God, not eros - the only similarity between eru and eros is phonological; and the odin/sauron parallel is not exact as elements of odin are also found in saruman and gandalf (helps set saruman and gandalf up as negative doppelgangers where each represents what the other could have become)

and no, i hadn't forgotten the arthurian tales, but i'd describe them as legends rather myths.

**MY BOOK**

~ proud to be a shieldmaiden for christ ~
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 9:42 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Yeah, I do agree with you Aftenstjerne. For me, reading about Middle Earth was fantastic but realizing that this world never existed and will never exist (we are not doing our best I'm afraid) is kinda sad. I'm not a very idealist person, but when I have a minute for me and I think about it, I feel like...dissappointed. You know, it's a weird sensation, because in the end you know this world was created by a human being, but this world is too close of the world I would like to live in. I studied Tolkien in my first year at Uni and I'm gonna study him now in my third year, and knowing that he wanted to create a mythology for England, made me admire him more and more. It's awesome.

Since I met u, I knew you were special :) thank you for everything Fer ^^
How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand, there's no going back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 1:48 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I know the parallel of Sauron/Gandalf/Odin/Saruman... I was just listing a few ^_^

I agree with you that he brought everything together very well and I'm not knocking his idea at all, I wish it was true :P

I have a whole book of Tolkien's mythological sources and that's where I was reading my examples from. If you want to know what the book says about the eros/eru thing then I can type it out, I just don't have the energy right now :-D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 29th, 2006, 10:02 pm 

@ Darrell: I had no idea he said some of those things, and I find it rather interesting. Of course we do know in our heart of hearts that Middle-Earth is not real. It is a book written for those of us who want to escape the terrible things of our world today. I've found myself wishing every once in a while that it really was real, or that it really did exist in some parallel universe. Alas, it's hard to believe we mere humans can come up with such stunning works of writing that which make us believe we are in a whole new world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2006, 10:40 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Yeah, true, I agree with ya Larael. People who are not into this may think we are kinda crazy or something, thinking about a world that never existed but in our hearts and in Tolkien's mind. But, the point is..it does exist, for us, it's somewhere...that's what I like to think :)

How do you go on when in your heart you begin to understand, there's no going back?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 1st, 2006, 2:23 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I wish it really did exist. *waves 'I believe in fairies flag* If you believe enough it will come true! XD well I can hope can't I?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2006, 9:09 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Sure you can Peredhil Lover, all of us can, there's nothing that prevent us from dreaming so...:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 5th, 2006, 7:54 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Yup, he power of dreams :P

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6th, 2006, 10:39 pm 

Actually, it's more than the power of dreams folks. Yes, I know that we don't have furry-footed hobbits, or gruff dwarves around, but...but...but...
Guess what?
Recently I heard that Middle-Earth, besides being a term TOlkien uses, actually is an old term for the world we live in. Tonight after reading this thread I decided to do a web search. I found this:
Quote:
Middle-earth is an historical term. It is a literal translation of the Old English term middangeard, referring to the real world, the habitable lands of men. Less formally, the term "Middle-earth" often refers to the lands where the stories of J. R. R. Tolkien take place. Tolkien said that his Middle-earth is our Earth, but in a fictional period in the past; estimating the end of the Third Age to about 6,000 years before his own time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_earth

Quote:
In fact Middle-earth, like the variants in other Germanic languages, is simply a reference to this earth, versus the worlds above and below; Middle-earth is the earth in the middle. http://www.greenmanreview.com/book/book ... earth.html

Quote:
Here we should pause to consider what is "middle" about Middle Earth. Heaven and Hell, according to the medieval English lyric, are eating into merry middle-earth—Heaven from above, Hell from below. Middle-earth is not permanent in its present incarnation, neither in Tolkien’s world nor in ours. We can expect, some day, a new heaven and a new earth . . . [quote Galadriel and Fangorn’s conversation about reincarnation]. In fact, Tolkien’s Middle Earth is not three-tiered so much as three-directional. If the West is Heaven (or Paradise), then the East in some sense approaches Hell, even though the symmetry is incomplete, and Middle Earth is middle because betwixt West and East. http://users.bestweb.net/~jfgm/Encyclop ... 0Notes.htm

Interesting, huh, o inhabitants of Middle-Earth?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2006, 8:28 am 
Istari
Istari

i already knew about middle earth being an old term (i mentioned it with reference to "middengeard" in an earlier post) but thanks for the quotes - made a few things a little clearer. and i agree, it is fascinating.

this just shows what i love most about tolkien - his writing may appear to be fantasy at first, but the deeper you go, the more history you find.

**MY BOOK**

~ proud to be a shieldmaiden for christ ~
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2006, 4:01 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Thanks a lot for the interesting quotations! :) And yep, I think it's amazing how, from all the fantasy he seemed to create, we get reality in a way. I really like his literature for these connections he makes with reality :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 9:02 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

The idea that Middle-Earth actually existed once makes me really think... Ya know, it could actually be possible!!! It would be awesome if it was true, and it was a part of history...(boy, yould history class be more exciting!!!) :-D

We will walk in bitter rain
But in dreams
I can still hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there
I will go there
And Back again

Post subject: Re: Middle Earth
PostPosted: February 11th, 2007, 6:38 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Aftenstjerne wrote:
I haven't really tought of that before. I knew that Tolkien wanted to create a mythology for England but I never tought of it that way. I think it's a good teori that when the elves leave, Middle Earth looses it's magic and eventually turning into the world as we know it. But it dosen't feel right to me. I think it's a bit sad if it is that way. I like to think as Arda as an whole other world far from here. It's a hard to believe that Middle Earth should turn into this strange world :confused:

Aftenstjerne :-D

I d think that middle earth was his way of making a real english mythology but what about Eriol/ Aelfwine who was the marinier in The book of lost tales in the house of lost play. I think this was also part of his attempts to make an english mythology lol. Thats what I think anyway
Also th eMiddengard is a Version of th enorse word Midgard meaning th eland of the mortals in norse mythology unless IM mistaken.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2007, 5:49 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

Well, Middle Earth is actually a pretty common term. The Norse myths name their sort of heaven Asgard, the earth where people live Midgard, and the underworld Nifl Heim, or something. I think Middle Earth can be thought of as really in the middle: between the world of the god (or gods in the norse myths for instance) and the world of the dead.

In a way, I like to think of our world as a Middle Earth in the seventh age or so. Unfortunately, that implys no more Elves and Dwarves and the like, at least that are accessible. But then again, I also don't like to think of our world as Middle Earth...

~Iri

by my buddy Emma Jean. Images by Jonathon Earl Bowser

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2007, 12:11 am 

Wow Ivy, thanks for those quotes and links! It's interesting that we can parallel our world to Middle-Earth in such an intimate way. I guess this shows that J.R.R. Tolkien was pretty much writing about our world just not in a very literal sense.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2