Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 16th, 2024, 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 6th, 2007, 9:47 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I really don't agree that the Hobbits are dumb or stupid...for the most part I think they're just very naive and inexperianced in ways other than their own.

In fact, I don't blaim them for not want to travel or adventure that much. Hobbits are quite small compared to most of the other races of Middle Earth and it's probably in their best physical interest that they stay put in the Shire. =]

~(Custom Avatars by Me!)~

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2007, 12:23 am 

What would life be without the common people? What would it be like if every culture was made up entirely of great warriors, noble and powerful lords and ladies, full of adventure and excitement?

Seems to me like it would make the extraordinary... well, ordinary.

And, yes, it's true that the Hobbits take things for granted... and that they're often not the smartest beings. But what would Middle Earth be without them?

To quote Gandalf:

"...I have been deeply concerned about you, and about all these charming, absurd, helpless hobbits. It would be a grievous blow to the world, if the Dark Power overcame the Shire, if all your kind, jolly, stupid Bolgers, Hornblowers, Boffins, Bracegirdles, and the rest, not to mention the ridiculous Bagginses, became enslaved."

Or Frodo, though you might say he's a little biased on the matter ;):

"I should like to save the Shire, if I could – though there have been times when I thought the inhabitants too stupid and dull for words, and have felt that an earthquake or an invasion of dragons might be good for them. But I don't feel like that now. I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again."

But the Hobbits are more than just the common people who, so to speak, keep things in balance. Underneath all the comfortable happiness, lies a toughness and fire. Why else would it be two hobbits, not elves or Dunedain, to complete the quest?

"There is a seed of courage hidden (often deeply, it is true) in the heart of the fattest and most timid hobbit, waiting for some final and desperate danger to make it grow"

How else could the Hobbits have been the ones to rid the Shire of Saruman and all his men?

Anyway, the bottom line is: The common people, the little folk, are the salt of the earth.

Or, to quote Gilbert and Sullivan: "If everybody's somebody, then no-one's anybody!" :yes:

<center>Image
~I am a Shieldmaiden for Christ!~
[?~^:]
Doll base

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2007, 6:04 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

How can i top that ^? i fully agree with Arsarniel. Without hobbits,i don't think Midle Earth would be as special as it is now. They are such important components of Middle Earth because they balance it out. :)

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 12th, 2007, 7:18 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Imlosiel the Lost wrote:
I really don't agree that the Hobbits are dumb or stupid...for the most part I think they're just very naive and inexperianced in ways other than their own.

In fact, I don't blaim them for not want to travel or adventure that much. Hobbits are quite small compared to most of the other races of Middle Earth and it's probably in their best physical interest that they stay put in the Shire. =]

I agree, but not to that extent. Hobbits didn't really want to deal with the world beyond where they were. It was almost as if they were in a bubble and never went out of it. But, they were happy to be in the bubble and the thought never crossed their minds that they would ever desire to leave it (With Biblo as an exception) But, life is no fun with no adventure. It's way too boring if you never take risks.

We will walk in bitter rain
But in dreams
I can still hear your name
And in dreams
We will meet again
When the seas and mountains fall
And we come to end of days
In the dark I hear a call
Calling me there
I will go there
And Back again

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 15th, 2007, 6:26 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I like the shire, it reminds me of where I live.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2