Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Supreme Being?
PostPosted: March 5th, 2007, 5:38 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

There is always a Supreme Being in our lives that helps us to live life. Something that we look up to because we are such lowly people. We have God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit. In the Chronicles of Narnia they have Aslan. What do the beings of Middle Earth have?

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5th, 2007, 6:03 pm 

Eru Ilúvatar was the Supreme Being who created the Universe and the Valar, Middle-earth and its inhabitants. However, as Ellies says, Ilúvatar is not worshipped, as common people probably don't know of him. I don't know if the races besides the Elves and the Númenoreans would know about the Valar (angelic, powerful beings). At least it seems they don't know much of the powers of the Istari (wizards), who are Maiar (lesser Valar).
The elves call on the Stars of Elbereth and Galadriel gives Frodo the Light of Eárendil, their most beloved star.

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 6:12 am 
Vala
Vala

Yeah, as Eä said, the people of Middle-earth don't tend to be as 'religious' in their daily lives, because all elves and dwarves [should] know of the Ainur (Valar and Maiar) and Ilúvatar. The humans and hobbits are the ones in doubt--some of the greater humans would know about Ilúvatar and the Ainur, but most likely the average peasant wouldn't know.

Active worship is not something you see in any of the books, though--you only read of them calling out to the Valar. They do make vows on Ilúvatar sometimes, though. However, since He doesn't take an extremely active and visible role (I think He sort of moves behind the scenes), the Elves most commonly call on the Valar. The dwarves are most closely attached to Aulë (a Vala), who made them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 6:20 am 
Istari
Istari

tolkien once said that he wanted his works to be abut religion rather than talk about religion. he hated how obvious the christian message was in c.s. lewis' books, and he didn't want to fall into that trap himself - i think he wanted to let his readers find God/religion/spiritual stuff for themselves in his books, rather than ramming them down their throats. personally, i prefer tolkien's subtlety to lewis' sledgehammer approach.

**MY BOOK**

~ proud to be a shieldmaiden for christ ~
</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 6:23 am 
Vala
Vala

Ditto to that, eowyn. I was reading in The Silmarillion the other day, and I don't know if this is in all editions or not, but mine has a letter from him to...somebody (I forget who), and he explained that bit about the religion.

I definitely prefer it to Lewis' style.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 6:38 am 
Istari
Istari

yeah, that letter's in my edition too. that must be where i read it, although it's been a while.

have we disagreed on anything yet? lol

**MY BOOK**

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 6:40 am 
Vala
Vala

I don't think we've disagreed on anything yet, no. :) We just have the best opinions. :P

Maybe the letter is in all the editions--I only have one, so I don't know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 7:50 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

By the way the Chronicles of Narnia are children's books after all so Lewis had no mind of hiding the message. In my opinion it is a story that tells the story of the bible in some other form but that's also what I like about it. I think the two books aren't really comparable.
LotR is however much deeper and complex of course. If you think of the time Tolkien put into it...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 10:14 am 
Vala
Vala

Haha--yeah. 14 years writing LotR alone, let alone the years he spent taking notes on the Elder days, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 1:01 pm 
Istari
Istari

Eruhin wrote:
By the way the Chronicles of Narnia are children's books after all so Lewis had no mind of hiding the message. In my opinion it is a story that tells the story of the bible in some other form but that's also what I like about it. I think the two books aren't really comparable.
LotR is however much deeper and complex of course. If you think of the time Tolkien put into it...

i see your point about the chronicles being kids' books, but i don't think that's the reason lewis is more obvious about it - he's just as obvious in his books for adults, and tolkien was just as subtle in the hobbit, which is obviousy a children's book. when it comes down to it, the two men simply favoured different styles and had completely different philosophies towards writing - it's that rather than the audience that makes the difference.

**MY BOOK**

</center>

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 3:24 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

True. But-if you want I'll say it a hundred times :) -the Hobbit is NO children's book though often considered one...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 4:34 pm 
Vala
Vala

It wasn't necessarily intended to be a children's book, but that is what it has generally turned out to be--it's more popular with younger readers. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 5:31 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I know Tolkien's style of writing and that he prefers to have his books be about religion and not talk about religion and that worship is not present in any of the books. As for C.S. Lewis, well, he's one of my favorite authers and i don't believe that he hammers the Christian message down anybodys throats in his books. Thanks for the part about Eru, i don't really know anything about him, but this will force me to do my homework on the matter. :-D

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 6th, 2007, 5:39 pm 
Vala
Vala

Lol, no problem Aylan.

I didn't mean for it to sound as though Lewis 'forced' Christianity into the books. His style is fine, but I prefer Tolkien's more subtle way of doing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 11:04 am 
Dunadan
Dunadan

But sometimes I prefer the rather simple way of Lewis though :P
Depends on my mood...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 2:58 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

If there is a true god to be workshipped in Middle Earth it should be Eru Iluvatar or the Valar, but those aren't really workshipped, because although the Elves know them (and the Dwarves probably too as they were created by one of the Valar) they don't really workship them as you would normally do with a god.
That however doesn't mean that no one is workshipped, though it is doubtfull if you can call them gods. Sauron convinced the Numenoreans at one point to bring Human sacrifices to honour Morgoth and Sauron himself was probably workshipped by some of his followers. That doesn't make them gods, there are only people who believe them to be gods and as Sauron was real and the results of his actions clearly visible, it is easy to workship him.
Who, but the Elves and Dwarves have ever seen one of the Valar?

In the sheltering shade of the forest
Calling, calming silence
Accompanied only by the full moon
The howling of the Night Wolf
And the path under my bare feet...
...the Elvenpath

Profile       WWW            

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next