Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 21st, 2007, 4:07 am 
Queen of Eregion
Queen of Eregion

... I second that, Aerlinn! :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23rd, 2007, 4:28 pm 
Vala
Vala

I think that the Elves were meant to be in Middle-earth at the coming of man, to leave their mark on it and to guide the Younger Children, but while they might have been meant to live in Middle-earth up to and for a little while after that point, I don't believe that they were meant to live in Middle-earth forever.

I think that in the end, they were meant to be in Valinor, where they could live their endless lives in peace, away from death and passing-away, and fulfilling the Sea-longing.

Perhaps it would be better to say that I don't believe the Elves were meant to live in Middle-earth simply because I believe that Men were supposed to live there, and since Men were fated to rise to prominence and the Elves to fade in Middle-earth, it wouldn't make sense for the Elder Children to be 'meant' to live there. It seems more logical that they would be meant to go to Valinor in the end.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 26th, 2007, 7:49 am 
Vala
Vala

Well, Morgoth wasn't included in the Valar's plan, but it was mentioned in the Ainulindale that all of Morgoth's attempts to marr Iluvatar's creation would result in Iluvatar's glory and not Morgoth's--Iluvatar could apparently see the future (I'm pretty sure he could), so I think he knew what Morgoth was going to try to do.

And yes, the Elves were definitely meant to live on Arda, but that's the entire world, not just Middle-earth, so I think that due to the onset of Men, the Elves went to Valinor. Another thing that hints that they are meant to be there is that when they die, that's where they go. When they grow tired of mortal lands, that's where they go. They're immortal, but they all end up going to Valinor in the end, leaving Middle-earth to Men. That's just my opinion, true, but it's the one I've had since I first read The Silmarillion five years ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 27th, 2007, 1:55 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yes, but I still think that they were destined to go to Valinor anyways. I think that they were meant to be there.

But I notice that we're straying off topic. Again. We're really good at doing that. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 7:12 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Ey, please don't mess with the elfs :P They are the race I loves in LOTR ^^,

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 3:41 pm 
Vala
Vala

They're the coolest of the races that Tolkien created. Definitely. They're cooler than the Maiar and Valar, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 31st, 2007, 4:28 pm 
Vala
Vala

Yeah. Exactly...though I viewed the Maiar more as Angels. However, the Valar are 'big', yeah, and the Elves are just AWESOME. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 13th, 2008, 4:15 am 
Hobbit
Hobbit

The elves are one of my favorite Tolkien races, too, right after the Valar and Maiar. As for the question of where they should be, I believe Valinor is the best choice. Men are the more populous of the two races, and, therefore, should live in the larger land body. Also, the elves are closer to the Valar in temperament and power and get along with them better than men would. Thirdly, Ilúvatar gave men the ability to alter the course He had planned for them, and it would be difficult for them to do so under the elves' or Valar's guidance.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2