Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 14th, 2008, 10:40 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

After reading FOTR a second time, I'm glad Tolkien put that quote in there to remind us how short life is and that we should spend the time wisely we have here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 19th, 2008, 5:13 pm 
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ
Elven Shieldmaiden for Christ

^ A very good point.

I think Tolkiens writing are inspriational and amazing; not only does he write with such great detail that is makes you want to fall out of your chair or that he writes about so many different things that he has created with such a passion that it brings tears to your eyes, but he also writes messages within messages, riddles if you will; just like Gandalf spoke.

Aragorn wrote:
There is one thing that you have Tnot changed. You still speak in riddles.

[color]I think that we definately have a short time here on earth, and that we each stand for a greater purpose than what we even realize now, or for some, will ever realize until it is too late, if they ever realize it at all.

Tolkien and how he is able to write this message and more into the plot of LOTR is amazing as well. He never goes out and fully tells us that this is true in the real world as well, but how he implies it and drops hints is great. I also love how he shows the different struggles of different charactors qith each of there purposes; Frodo and the rRng, Aragorn and his throne, Arwen and her immortality, the Elves and the Grey Havens, among others. He proves that your purpose is not easy, nor will the journey be easy, yet that you can succeed, and you don't always to go it alone.

That is why Tolkien is the best author of all time.

-Tur[/color]

Post subject: 10% what happens to me...
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2008, 12:42 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Turwaithiel Swann wrote:
I think that we definately have a short time here on earth, and that we each stand for a greater purpose than what we even realize now...He proves that your purpose is not easy, nor will the journey be easy, yet that you can succeed, and you don't always to go it alone.

I share your emotion Tur. And because of the difficulty of that purpose and the flaws in our nature, it certainly is a struggle. So life truly is about who you will decide to be and what you will decide to do and not about what happens to us. I can’t help but compare the lives of Tolkien’s protagonist Denethor and his friend CS Lewis. Both were face with a life of unending tragedy but their lives had very different endings. Bad things will happen to all of us. It is all about our choice and our attitude. I love Charles Swindoll’s famous quote:
Swindoll wrote:
The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life.

Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home.

The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.

And so it is with you... we are in charge of our attitudes.

What a challenge Tolkien lays down for us! What will we decide? Will we choose to love? Or will we go down to the tomb in bitterness and despair? The choice is always and only ours.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2008, 4:50 pm 

This is one of my favorite quotes (it's on my sig!). Tolkien makes a lot of profound statements in his books. I've actually gone through my book and high-lighted some! :)
I love how at the end of the movie, Frodo remembers Gandalf's words and pushes off into the river, and you see his broken expression turn into determination. That's so powerful!
This quote has always been pretty straight-forward to me, though. Life is a gift. What will you do with it?