Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Do you like/dislike the chapter, The Council of Elrond?
like 75%  75%  [ 71 ]
dislike 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
can't decide 17%  17%  [ 16 ]
I've never read it (Tsk......tsk......) 4%  4%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 95
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 9:27 am 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Ha Ha bowandarrow. I didnt mean to double post lol. If there is a moderator about, can peopel on a thread vote more than once if they change their minds?

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 10:20 am 
Vala
Vala

Location: somewhere sympathy is more than just a way of leaving

I'm no mod, but I think that the voteing section comes up as already voted for if you voted already, sp people can't vote again. However, if it's not showing up as already voted, I think you coul probably vote as many times as you want. That could be totally wrong, but that's what I thought it was.
So, what have you guys changed your minds about that youw ish to change your vote?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 3:28 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

Yeah it's phpbb programming... I'm pretty sure that they have to keep it like that. I don't know though, if it's anything like invision powerboards then it's the same hehe

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 3:51 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Could you please repeat that. Only this time in English????????

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 6:11 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

It's a program. See down the bottom it says phpbb? You upload that to your URL and it's rather automatic. There's a free one you can get www.invisionpowerboard.com or something.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2006, 6:31 pm 
Istari
Istari

Ok then I will take ur word for it Peredhil Lover. *backs away slowly*

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2006, 10:33 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

i like it... it's very informative.. to me it's not boring at all.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2006, 10:55 am 
Istari
Istari

Informative, but i wrote thata while ago and it confuzled me. I get it a bit now. Thanx 4 explaining it to me predhil lover!

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2006, 10:58 am 
Vala
Vala

^ I don't think Lorien (nice name by the way) was talking about Peredhil Lover's post about the vote board. I think she was talking about the chapter of the Council of Elrond. Just a thought. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2006, 10:59 am 
Istari
Istari

Oh. (caught in a misunderstanding) right c ya lol!!!!! *runs away swiftly*

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 19th, 2006, 11:52 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tinuviel's Tears wrote:
^ I don't think Lorien (nice name by the way) was talking about Peredhil Lover's post about the vote board. I think she was talking about the chapter of the Council of Elrond. Just a thought. ;)

thanks!
youre right :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2006, 10:59 am 

I was very surprised to see a thread like this, and a poll. I wish to give a different perspective on The Professor's writing.

The Council of Elrond is truly the beginning of the Quest of Mount Doom. We learn that the Ring is not just a problem for Frodo and his friends, being pursued by the Enemy who made it. The Dwarf-realm of Erebor and the Men of Dale are also drawn into the conflict. The Elves are threatened from the finding of the One. Gondor is under siege. And we learn that Saruman, the supposed leader of the White Council, is a traitor in their midst.

If you look at the chapter as a detective story or a mystery, you find that the Council is examining the clues, and drawing their conclusions. Tolkien was meticulous in every detail, and that included examining every fact available.

We learn more of the depth of the people of Middle-earth, as well. The Dwarf-lords wish to be left to their realms, but they remember the alliances of old. The Elves will never submit or surrender to the East. Gondor has its pride and honor, as shown by Boromir's stance - and his reluctant acceptance of Aragorn's claim.

Already, we see the fissures opening - Boromir does not trust Aragorn, who would take his right to the lordship of Gondor; old quarrels flare between Elf and Dwarf; the Elves of the Havens do not trust in Men to defend the West. But, it is Elrond, in his wisdom, who steers the Council on its course, the only course possible - the forming of the Fellowship and the Quest. It lays the foundation for all that follows.

In our age today, we look at life going by at 65 MPH out our car windows, or spinning by our eyes at DSL speed. Our attention span can be measured in sound-bites. The LOTR was written in a time before the Internet, when radio and TV were new, and even in America were still places only reached by horse. Do as I have done, and take the time to read the epic at the pace it was meant to be. You will be glad you did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2006, 6:11 pm 
Dunadan
Dunadan

I like it, but I hate it. There is alot of talking, but without it no one would understand. So it all really works out.

Welcome to My World.
It is close to Narnia.

Thanks for your support. You know who you are.
</center>

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 20th, 2006, 8:45 pm 
Vala
Vala

I agree with your post Halrohir. Most of it was well thought out and well said. It's true. You don't realize it, but there are so many little details that are opened up in that chapter. you named a few in Boromir's opinion of Aragorn and the quarrel between Elves and Dwarves. Those become major plot points in the story later on, and if you missed them in this chapter, you might be confused.
The chapter explains a lot of things that have already happened as well, such as why gandalf enever came to meet Frodo and Gollum's escape. Those are only teo of the major tings that are explained. The chapter held my interest for those reasons at least, that they finally told me a few of the things I had been craving to know.
A lot of people are scared away by the size of the chapter and all the dialogue, but I think it can be one of the more interesting chapters if you look at it closely.
Just in passing, what you said about the world needing everything at lightning speed, you're very right. However, there are a lot of people here who have taken the time to enjoy Tolkien at the right pace and analyze it accordingly. That's how we came to have all these pages of discussions. ;)

EonwesBestMate: :D Don't worry about it. It happens to everyone.
Lorien: You're welcome. It was really nothing. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21st, 2006, 9:36 am 

But, you said, "Most of it was well thought out and well said". What was wrong??? :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 21st, 2006, 7:52 pm 
Vala
Vala

I'm assuming you're wondering what I meant by "most" as in not all of it. If that's what you're talking about, I said most because I agreed with your thoughts overall, but I thought it was a bit presumptuous of you to assume that you were the only one who had taken the time to read it through carefully and slowly. That was all. Your statements were very true and nicely said.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next