Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Merry in FotR
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 11:39 pm 

What are your impressions of this character as he's first introduced? How does his character develop over the course of FotR? Is he very different than the movie? Have any favorite quotes?

Post subject: Re: Merry in FotR
PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 7:41 am 
Istari
Istari

I love the Merry as he was introduced in Fellowship of the Ring. Enough to say taht until The Two Towers he was my favorite Hobbit in whole bunch.
I much prefer book Merry than the movie Merry, I feel they didn't captured his personality...but its my own feeling.

Last edited by Cara on July 7th, 2011, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 5th, 2011, 4:25 pm 
Istari
Istari

I also think that Merry is not captured the right way in the movie, he's a big hero who does deserve more. But then PJ would have had to make the movie even longer.

"Looking behind"

PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 2:33 am 
Istari
Istari

Merry's book character does have a lot more to him, but if PJ would have everything about every character in the movies it would have been crazy long. (Crazy bad for some people, crazy good for all us obsessive nuts!) And I dont think I could stand havin my younger brothers in my room for that long without doing this: :fish: I love that smiley...anyway, I still like Merry's character in the movie though, and I think the actors did a good job of capturing the strong bond of friendship between Merry and Pippin. There was different sides of Merry's personality shown in the movie version, and I dont think Dom did a bad job playing Merry at all. I really think that considerin the movie time restraints and situations altered for the sake of moving the story along, Dom did a wonderful job. For that matter, I think everyone did a wonderful job. I am disappointed that certain roles that were Merry's in the book were in a way taken from him for the movie. For example, Frodo leaned more on Merry and had a closer friendship with him than he did with Sam in the first book, and Merry certainly helped Frodo get started on his journey.

PostPosted: July 6th, 2011, 9:43 am 
Istari
Istari

Its true, PJ couldn't done everything but I feel somehow that book Merry is the true Merry and movie is false. I see a lot of interesting things in book Merry. I don't see them in the movie version.

But to tell the truth, I am always waaaaay much after book characters, its obvious that they are more complex.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 12:36 am 
Istari
Istari

lol, I just noticed how much the three of us seem to pop up on the same threads! I agree, all the characters in the book have aspects to them that the movie versions didnt, but I still like the movie Merry too. I love it when he takes part in the stealing of the dragon firework in the movie. And how in the book Merry knew about Bilbo's ring, and managed to sneak a glimpse at Bilbo's book, I find that amusing. What about ya'll? Favorite parts?

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 1:01 am 
Istari
Istari

I love when Hobbits are afraid of Ringwriths while they are going with Maggot and they hear the sound of a horse but night reveals Merry instead ;-) Merry seems so "not-in-place"!

(haha, yes, we are talking and talking!)

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 1:30 am 
Istari
Istari

I find that amusing, who's following who to the threads? For this one I seem to be doing the following! What do you think about the part when Merry follows one of the Ringwraiths in Bree? He mentions that he couldn't help himself, that he had to follow it because he felt drawn somehow. What do you think of that, was it just his curiosity that made him follow, or do you think it was a trick of the Wraiths? I think it was the wraiths, but I'm just making sure, I dont remember them doing that in any other part of the book...at least no other part is coming to mind.

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 1:56 am 
Istari
Istari

No, the Ringwraiths were talking with the Bill, they didn't know that Merry is around until they saw him near. I think that Merry was just curious or just wanted to act brave and be useful. Hobbits are just like that ^^

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 11:28 pm 
Istari
Istari

I was thinking it was his own curiosity, because I cant remember another spot in the books where a Wraith draws anyone to them, but I could be wrong about that. Do you think Merry changed during the FotR? To be honest I never paid much attention to if his character changed or not during the first part of the journey, not until the Fellowship was broken, then I noticed a change in him.

PostPosted: July 8th, 2011, 1:25 am 
Istari
Istari

I think not much. He was the same Merry through whole book. Or I didn't notice something. I think his character was very stable and he was difficult to change at all but everything he went through changed him at the end. In TTT he was different, thats for sure.

I remember that Wraith were drawing Frodo muchly but not the other Hobbits. So I assume its only the Ring case and Merry was just curious.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011, 1:03 am 
Istari
Istari

Yeah, I know the Ring probably had somethin to do with it, since it was tryin to be found and everythin. But I didn't notice a change in Merry either, just after he was taken by the orcs at the end. After his orc experience he changed, became more desperate to help his friends and fight in the war against Sauron, and to make a difference in it. But all through the beginning he is mainly just one of the companions, I think. Although he did really help Frodo get started on his quest, and formed that conspiracy among the hobbits, to help Frodo.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011, 3:03 am 
Istari
Istari

Merry is mainly seen through begonning of FotR, when hobbits travel alone or ith Strider. Later on, the rest of the Fellowship took his part ^^ So its difficult to see the change while they travelling through Moria and Lorien and its easier to see it at the end.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2011, 10:58 pm 
Istari
Istari

Yeah, I noticed he sort of faded away when the Fellowship was formed, his character was mentioned here and there but other than that...

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 6:30 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Merry is my fave character in FotR, I agree with Cara that is most seen in this book while in TTT is only mentioned few times. And I also like scene when Merry is taken by Wraith :D The expressions of the hobbits - priceless.

set by skitty

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 2:51 am 
Elf
Elf

Merry in FotR is one of the most important figures! I really liked how close to Frodo he was, how Frodo rely on him. Also, I like the change that was in him through the books. One of my favorite characters.

Elrond banner by Erin.