PostPosted: July 26th, 2013, 5:28 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I really like how loyal Sam is.

Post subject: Re: Sam Gamgee in FotR
PostPosted: October 16th, 2016, 12:18 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

I think Sam is one of those characters that doesn't seem that intelligent at first glance, but every once in a while he comes up with something really deep or recites some long piece of poetry or just does the right thing even though it's hard, and then you're really impressed with him and it's so amazing! I love Sam so much I can't even tell you and this is why! He really drives the point home that you should not judge a book by its cover. Again, love Sam! Love him so much! Makes me so happy :) :) :)

PostPosted: October 16th, 2016, 12:31 am 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

I think you are quite right. (And nice to see you onnthe forum, by the way! :) )

I honestly think Sam has the perfect hobbit personality. He lives a simple life and is a simple man. That does not, however, mean he is simple minded like his personality might forst suggest. (As you mentioned)

I love how he seems simple and yet he is quite the intelligent amd tallented sort. He has, what I would call a "simple intelligence" if that makes sense. Like simple solutions that the common person could understand yet they still work.

Visit The Varsian Kingdom!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

PostPosted: October 16th, 2016, 4:07 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Location: In front of Isengard with Merry, Pippin, and the Three Hunters, talking over recent adventures!

Absolutely right in everything Jax! I also think if he had been put to the task, he could have almost easily figured out the password for Moria. As Gandalf said, "Quite simple. Too simple for a learned loremaster in these suspicious days." Sam seems to be good at taking a step back and seeing a simple answer where other people see a tangle of unexplained events and secret motives. He saw the ring that way for sure. He was the clarity for Frodo's craziness.

PostPosted: October 20th, 2016, 2:10 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Location: In a pudle on Naboo with dragon kind and ents and Jedi and wolves living in the Last Homely House!

Agreed as well. lol I think he does have a good talent for that and I honestly think he could have carried the ring just as well as Frodo or I dare say it seems maybe even better. I know it would have "Got to him" but it just seems, as you say, he saw the ring for what it was in a simplistic way that I think would have done the ring bearer wonders.

Frodo was always so "emotional" and... I don't know... just seems like he tended towards those issues even before the ring where as Sam did not.

I also love how Sam stayed focused on the important and simple things through the entire thing like strawberries and Rosie Cotton. The fact that he KNEW that it was the time of year that they would be harvesting strawberries back int he shire shows where his heart was. It shows he was where he was out of duty, not for some grand adventure.

PostPosted: October 21st, 2016, 5:54 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

It's true he totally could have carried the Ring, but then Frodo would have had to fill the Sam role. Somehow I don't think he would have been very good at that because, as you said, he seemed more emotional and less able to handle the servant's role. It would have been very interesting to see him portray that, and it would have stretched him and changed him in a new way.
It really would have broken my heart to see Sam being carried up Mt doom even more than Frodo though. I'm dying inside just thinking about it! :'-( That makes me SO SAD!!

PostPosted: October 28th, 2016, 7:59 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Very true and excellent point... not to bash Frodo too much but I would feel horrible for Sam knowing Frodo would be his "support"

And yes... that would be very sad.... :( I guess "could" and "should" are very differnet, eh? :P

Don't get me wrong, I think Frodo had admirable qualities originally. He was willing to take the ring to Rivendel because he felt he must and he was doing the right thing. The only issue is I don't think he ever would have taken it any further if it were not for the Ring calling to him.

Honestly i don't know that Sam would have either, but Sam seems as though if he did he would have done it for pure reasons, realizing that no one else could carry it safely.

PostPosted: October 29th, 2016, 5:01 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I always thought Sam was a wise hobbit, picking up much from his father, 'Gaffer' Gamgee. He was stoic and loyal, and wasn't going to back down from his commitments. Sam is one of the 'quiet heroes' of the story.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: October 29th, 2016, 9:59 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I've always felt that Sam is the true 'hero' of the trilogy. IMHO he is Tolkien's 'everyman' and represents the men he served in the trenches of WWI. Men who were conscripted into service, with little understanding of the difficulties they would encounter, but who managed against all odds to find an inner strength, they didn't know they possessed, and out-performed expectations.

Sam is the only character who doesn't volunteer for the quest in some way. He is essentially dragooned into service by Gandalf after being caught listening at the window. The other three hobbits all volunteer to go, either because they need to (Frodo), or because they want to (Merry and Pippin who view it as an adventure). Yet he manages: to keep to his promise to Gandalf; to save Frodo from Shelob's lair; and to ensure that the Ring makes the final leg of its journey to the top of Mount Doom, where he again saves Frodo's life.

One of the scenes that stands out for me is when Faramir, after questioning Frodo, asks Sam who he is and he tells him he's Frodo gardener. He's not the Ringbearer like Frodo, he's not an adventurer like Merry and Pippin, and he's not a trained warrior like Aragorn, Legolas or Gimli (or Gandalf for that matter) ... he's just Mr. Frodo's gardener and, ultimately, my hero.

PostPosted: October 30th, 2016, 10:07 pm 
Warden of the Knight
Warden of the Knight

Wholeheartedly agree with both.

WWII would actually make a lot of sense in that context. Never thought of that.

The acene with Sam and Feremir defenitely is one of my favorite scenes!