Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Elrond's Family
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 11:54 pm 

Elrond. Arwen. Elladan and Elrohir. Discuss them here!

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 13th, 2009, 7:47 pm 

Elrond, I feel, is one of the most intriguing characters in the entire trilogy. We do not tend to match Elves and suffering, however, Elrond has suffered quite a bit in his long life. I can hardly imagine the devastation he must have felt when Arwen chose to stay with Aragorn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 20th, 2009, 4:56 pm 
Ent
Ent

You know, if you think about it though, you have to let go eventually. I mean, like, human parents see their kids grow up and move away. I don't think all of the Eldar simply sit around and accompany their parents forever, and Arwen kind of made it apparent she was, you know, in love and all that. Elrond got married...or whatever they call it...to Celebrian and set up his home in Rivendell and had kids, so it's not like he's foreign to the whole idea of it. And his condition "You shall marry no less than the king of both Gondor and Arnor" was met, so he couldn't make much of an excuse anymore. I don't know...he was headed to Valinor so one would hope that he would be all right.

I wonder what happened to Elladan and Elrohir? Did they go over with the last ships, or what?

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 3rd, 2009, 1:34 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Aerwyn Telcontar wrote:
You know, if you think about it though, you have to let go eventually. I mean, like, human parents see their kids grow up and move away. I don't think all of the Eldar simply sit around and accompany their parents forever, and Arwen kind of made it apparent she was, you know, in love and all that. Elrond got married...or whatever they call it...to Celebrian and set up his home in Rivendell and had kids, so it's not like he's foreign to the whole idea of it.

True...but having your kids grow up and move away is quite a bit different than the situation with Elrond and Arwen. Once Elrond left Middle-earth, they would never see each other again. They couldn't go for a visit, send messages back and forth, anything. They didn't even have the small comfort of knowing they'd see each other when they died. They were essentially separated for eternity, I think...

Regarding Elladan and Elrohir, we don't know what they chose. All Tolkien said was that they delayed their choice for a time. I hope, though, that they both chose to go West. Just because it would be too sad for Elrond/Celebrian to lose all their children, and I hate the idea of the twins splitting up. They seemed so close.

If you want to know my thoughts on Arwen, you can read my essay in the fanfiction section. :-D

Post subject: Re: Elrond's Family
PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 3:44 pm 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I was going to say you missed Celebrian out, even though she was not mention (i think, long time since i read it). You have to admit, leaving her husband like was kind of cruel? I know Celeborn stayed with his grandsons, then missed his wife so sailed over sea, but there decisions were never known! Maybe he died before he could write it! Arwen just did what her heart told her too, she did what would make her happy, and Elrond just suffered in quietness. :)
and i just check out a site for what happen to Elronds sons, and it is not known, not even in my Lord Of the rings encyclopedia

PostPosted: April 1st, 2011, 4:00 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Elrond certainly had a lot of heartbreak in his life, didn't he? Lost his brother and daughter to mortality (and possibly sons, though we'll never know), lost his wife for 500 years...

I feel like I have to defend Celebrian, though. The appendices say she was captured and tortured by orcs, rescued by her sons, healed in body by Elrond, but lost all joy in Middle-earth and sailed over sea for healing. A tragic decision, but I think a necessary one. There's no point in staying as a shadow of your former self, and perhaps they decided the hope of healing and reunion in Valinor was better than remaining in fear and despair. I wonder if Celebrian's actions influenced Arwen at all after Aragorn's death (in leaving her children to die in Lorien.)

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 1:05 am 
Istari
Istari

Elrond is my favorite elf; he is mysterious and very very wise and lived long enough to see the all atrocities of the world. He took part in battle on the fields of Gladden and had a hard life all in all.

I love how he rules in Rivendell, the last friendly home. I think he is one of the best rules out there,

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 7:54 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Elladan and Elrohir were top elf-blokes as they hung out with the Dunedain Rangers a lot through the years. Also, being elven twins was a rarity.
I believe the only other elf twins were the two youngest sons of Feanor, Amrod and Amras.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW