Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 28th, 2024, 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Barrow-Downs
PostPosted: September 11th, 2009, 11:55 pm 

What importance do you attribute the sequence in the barrow-downs? How well-written or uninteresting do you find it? Etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 6th, 2009, 10:34 pm 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

I don't know if I can analyze that sequence in any contextual way or what have you, only in a more visual way as that scene has always been rather vivid to me. The dark, wet, hot-yet-cold fogginess; the sense of panic; even the downs themselves w/ the stones poking through the ground like rotten teeth all seem to stick in my brain--almost like I've been to or seen some place like the downs....it's all very eerie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 8:23 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

I've always found it one of my favorite chapters in the fellowship of the ring. It was so... Creepy I guess is the best word for it and thats where the hobbits get there swords so it is sort of key. yes I think it was very well written

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 9:42 pm 
Istari
Istari

Personally, I think the sequence gave a couple of different glimpses into Middle-Earth's past. The Barrows were old tombs from days long past, from the first time Sauron and the nazgul wreaked havoc on the land. So any weapons gotton from those tombs and used against Sauron's forces would be a blow to his pride. Actually, the blade that Merry uses to stab the Witch King in the Return of the King is the blade from the old tombs. It may have had a special signifigace... and I'm rambling now...

Also... the tombs were just plain creepy and I don't read that part late at night if I can help it...

The Seemingly Nice But Actually Really Nasty Nazgul
School ate my life. *sigh*

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2009, 4:29 pm 
Hobbit
Hobbit

Holly Short wrote:
Personally, I think the sequence gave a couple of different glimpses into Middle-Earth's past. The Barrows were old tombs from days long past, from the first time Sauron and the nazgul wreaked havoc on the land. So any weapons gotton from those tombs and used against Sauron's forces would be a blow to his pride. Actually, the blade that Merry uses to stab the Witch King in the Return of the King is the blade from the old tombs. It may have had a special signifigace... and I'm rambling now...

Also... the tombs were just plain creepy and I don't read that part late at night if I can help it...
Exactly, it was very significant to the history of middle-earth. I agree with you completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 1st, 2010, 12:36 am 
Elf
Elf

i agree as well. but i always have rouble imagining for myself what it looked like. i mean it was discribed pretty well, but it took me three times to picture what was going on, but ifelt bad for the hobbits because they have been chased by black riders, caught in the eerie old forrest, attacked by a tree, then after the relief of being saved, get lost and caught in a creepy tomb!

although i think visiting the Barrows would be very interesting, i'd just make sure Tom bombadil was close around....

Hannon Le,everyone for the banners! :)
Married Khamûl on January the 26th, 2007:bones:

Profile           YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 9th, 2011, 3:36 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

glorfindil3 wrote:
I've always found it one of my favorite chapters in the fellowship of the ring. It was so... Creepy I guess is the best word for it and thats where the hobbits get there swords so it is sort of key. yes I think it was very well written

Agreed. It's full of atmosphere!

Post subject: Re: The Barrow-Downs
PostPosted: March 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm 
The A-U Matriarch
The A-U Matriarch

I agree as well, definitely one of my favorite chapters in the Fellowship of the Ring. It's creepy, it's atmospheric and it's down-right cool. The Barrow-wights reminds me a lot of Swedish Folklore where we have something called "De Underjordiska" (The Underworldly), creatures who dwell in the ground, ready to pull their prey down into their realm.

.*+I'VE MET ANTIGONE, MONTANABOHEMIAN, RAIVYNN PHOENIX, BERIADANWEN & PIRATEOFTHERINGS+*.

(¯`•¸·´¯`·._.·[TRUE VAMPIRES DON'T SPARKLE]·._.·´¯`·¸•´¯)

PostPosted: July 7th, 2011, 3:58 am 
Istari
Istari

Its very atmospheric, I always gets the creeps while reading it. Maybe not my favorite chapter of all (way too much liking Council of Elrond...) but one of my favorites. I like how Frodo acts in the whole dangerous scene.

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 6:26 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

One of my fave chapters! I am not really scared by it but I love reading about hobbits having this adventure while drinking hot chocolate. :D

set by skitty

PostPosted: June 24th, 2012, 6:44 am 
Istari
Istari

I was re-reading this chapter that way! :p

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2013, 2:49 am 
Elf
Elf

One of my favorite and most creeping me out chapters! I loved the tension and was scared when I was reading it first time, which is a good thing :)

Elrond banner by Erin.

PostPosted: October 18th, 2013, 8:37 am 

Besides it being one of the more creepy of FotR, I also really liked how the Hobbits are suddenly reminded of the extended history of Middle Earth (and the readers along with it, of course). They have lived their entire life in the Shire, not thinking about what has happened in their own land before they arrived in it, and thinking even less about what happened or happens outside the borders of the Shire. Of course they know the stories and tales about Elves and kings of old, but this is the first time they actually encounter remnants of that ancient history.

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 3:19 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

I saw the Barrow Downs as a beautiful glimpse into the vastness of Middle Earth history when I first read the books.
It was one of the driving frces that led me to delve deeper into the history of the tale through the years.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

PostPosted: January 29th, 2018, 4:20 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: I've been where Aragorn hasn't, but I now live in a cross between Hobbiton and Rivendell.

Yes, an early glimpse of there being some very much not-to-go-to places very close to the Shire (I mean, the Old Forest is also not really a place one would choose for a relaxing stroll). The Nazgûl in the Shire did get a sense of menace in fairly early, too – originally the (first Black) Rider was supposed to have been Gandalf! Shippey may have commented that had the Nazgûl pressed home their attacks a bit more (thinking also of Bree, and Weathertop later), they could have saved themselves (and Sauron) a lot of problems.
I like to think of the Shire a bit along the lines of what Sam said about the Elves of Lothlórien: “Whether they’ve made the land, or the land’s made them, it’s hard to say, if you take my meaning.” We’re talking 1418 years of settlement of the Hobbits in the Shire, and they are perhaps closer to the earth than any except a few Elves. Except for Lothlórien and Imladris, the Nazgûl could not have been in any land more natively hostile to them. No wonder they were having a bad time of it (and some Elves of Rivendell dropping by in the Shire certainly didn’t help things).
The Necromancer in the Hobbit was a far-away and indistinct concept, Smaug still quite conventional for conventional Fairy-Tales, Beorn injected a bit more of archaic savagery into the Hobbit, and the Elven-King (only much later identified as Thranduil) and his minions did a bit to get rid of the Tinkerbell impression of the Elves of Rivendeel earlier.
I remember too little of HoME volumes VI to IX covering the development of LoTR to guess at how much of this early darkness in the story of “Fellowship” was original, and how much may have been rewriting backwards after JRRT had finally originally gotten to the end of RoTK, to get rid of inconsistencies in the early writing with the later. He did manage to resist some instincts towards “soft-heartedness” which Shippey felt that critics had unrightly felt to have detected in LoTR. Had JRRT NOT resisted such instincts of his, then the book would have been much lessened, and some of the (moron) critics would accidentally have been right.

PostPosted: February 1st, 2018, 6:00 am 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

:yawn:
Back to the topic of The Barrow Downs...
The first barrow.... of men who were moving west in the first age who would eventually come to Beleriand.
Later ones go into the history of Cardolan.. An interesting place. And how the day seemed to be affected when the hobbits wandered there. A grand place in Middle Earth.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW