Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 7th, 2005, 7:40 pm 
Ent
Ent

I understand it, if that makes you feel better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2005, 12:17 pm 

Merenwen wrote:
Were the Noldor exiled, or they chose to leave? Beacuse, that's how I remember it from Simarillion. Guess I'll just have to read it again. I have forgotten too much. But I do remember i thought it kind of 'not very nice' of the Valar to just ignore the Men and other races, and only invite the Elves to live with them.

Honestly, I'm not sure either Merenwen. It's been a while since I read it... But I'm sure it had something to do with the kinslaying in Alqualondë and the Oath of Feanor...
And yes about the Valar only letting the elves in... I thought about it too... why that is... but after all Men goes to the Halls of Mandos... maybe that's as good.... or maybe not...?

Quote:
apparently he turned up that age as an istari and left middle earth looking just the same.somebody in the tolkein society had a theory that he is mandos in discuise.

That's interesting noldor, do you know what that somebody based it on? :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 8th, 2005, 11:35 pm 

^That is really interesting noldor! I'd love to know more about who said that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2005, 1:01 pm 
Ent
Ent

Mhmm, me, too!!

Quote:
Merenwen wrote:
Were the Noldor exiled, or they chose to leave? Beacuse, that's how I remember it from Simarillion. Guess I'll just have to read it again. I have forgotten too much. But I do remember i thought it kind of 'not very nice' of the Valar to just ignore the Men and other races, and only invite the Elves to live with them.

Honestly, I'm not sure either Merenwen. It's been a while since I read it... But I'm sure it had something to do with the kinslaying in Alqualondë and the Oath of Feanor...
And yes about the Valar only letting the elves in... I thought about it too... why that is... but after all Men goes to the Halls of Mandos... maybe that's as good.... or maybe not...?

If I remeber correctly, the Valar made the Elves first, so maybe they had a special place with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 9th, 2005, 7:17 pm 
Elf
Elf

Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:
If I remeber correctly, the Valar made the Elves first, so maybe they had a special place with them.

Both Elves and Men were part of Heru's original plan. The Valar just liked the Elves better. And since they are sort of angels, I thought they shouldn't make the difference.(I guess this is my Christian upbringing talking)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2005, 4:07 pm 
Ent
Ent

Merenwen wrote:
Elwing_Star_Spray wrote:

Both Elves and Men were part of Heru's original plan. The Valar just liked the Elves better. And since they are sort of angels, I thought they shouldn't make the difference.(I guess this is my Christian upbringing talking)

Didn't quite get the last sentence. But I get everything else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2005, 5:27 am 

Elf Girl wrote:
Unless someone killed him ... But that would be too scary

If someone would kill him, his spirit would go straight back to the lands of Vala. Maia and Vala are immortal.

Sorry I just had to say that.

Also I think that in the undieng lands all of the few mortals, who venture there are given immortal life. Well..or if not, then they shall party in Mandoses halls anyways..and thats in the undieng lands aswel.. 8)

About Gandalfs age..I think the old guy is as old as Arda itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2005, 11:28 am 

Just a minor correction: Ilúvatar made elves and men. The Valar weren't granted the gift of creating on their own. ;-)

This is something back from page two, but I think I asked whether a Maia's spirit ever was destroyed. Yes, Gandalf defeated the Balrog in the Mines of Moria.... and later which someone pointed out, Sauron's spirit was destroyed along with the ring. :angel:

Banner credit: Shadowcat & Nurrantiel Mashiara

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2005, 5:29 pm 
Vala
Vala

Ea, that is a really interesting point. If Sauron's spirit can be destroyed, can Gandalf's spirit also be destroyed, therfore rendering hm as dead? *shudders of horror run up spine as the thought of gandalf dying registers in brain*
What kept his spirit from being destroyed when he fought the balrog?
Wow. i will ponder that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2005, 6:41 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Don't worry, Morgoth's Ring says that fëar (spirits) cannot be destroyed, only cast out of hroar (bodies). That goes along with what Tolkien said about what happened to Sauron after the Ring was destroyed:
Quote:
"If [the Ring] is destroyed, then [Sauron] will fall; and his fall will be so low that none can foresee his arising ever again. For he will lose the best part of the strength that was native to him in his beginning, and all that was made or begun with that power will crumble, and he will be maimed for ever, becoming a mere spirit of malice that gnaws itself in the shadows, but cannot again grow or take shape. And so a great evil of this world will be removed." The Return of the King; Chapter IX: The Last Debate

I suppose a similar thing happened to Saruman.

Last edited by Tyrhael on December 15th, 2005, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 14th, 2005, 4:01 pm 
Ent
Ent

Location: location of what??well...my bed is in my room, the sofa is down stairs...odd question

Well spoken Tyrhael

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2005, 12:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

btw, when was Gandalf born? :confused2:

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 15th, 2005, 6:04 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Gandalf, along with the other Ainur, was never 'born'; he was called into existence along with the others.

Quote:
In the beginning Eru, the One, who in the Elvish tongue is named Ilúvatar, made the Ainur of his thought; and they made a great Music before him [...] The Great among those spirits the Elves name the Valar, the Powers of Arda [...] With the Valar came other spirits whose being also began before the World, of the same order as the Valar but as less degree. These are the Maiar, the People of the Valar and their servants and helpers. Their number is not known to the Elves, and few have names in any of the tongues of the Children of Ilúvatar; for though it is otherwise in Aman, in Middle-earth the Maiar have seldom appeared in forms visible to Elves and Men [...] Wisest of the Maiar was Olórin. He too dwelt in Lórien, but his ways took him often to the house of Nienna, and of her he learned pity and patience. [...] Of Olórin that tale [the Quenta Silmarillion] does not speak; for though he loved the Elves, he walked among them unseen, or in forms as one of them, and they did not know whence came the fair visions or the promptings of wisdom that he put into their hearts. In later days he was the friend of all the Children of Ilúvatar, and took pity on their sorrows; and those who listened to him awoke from despair and put away the imaginations of darkness. - The Silmarillion

Quote:
"It was these records that brought the Grey Pilgrim to us. I first saw him when I was a child, and he has been twice or thrice since then."
"The Grey Pilgrim?" said Frodo. "Had he a name?"
"Mithrandir we called him in elf-fashion," said Faramir, "and he was content. Many are my names in many countries, he said. Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Dwarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not."
The Two Towers: "The Window on the West," p. 278-79

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 22nd, 2005, 5:16 pm 
Ent
Ent

i think you can find out in the ependix..

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2006, 1:04 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

[quote="Larael Greenleaf"][quote="Naurdil Rochnur"]
Maybe I'm wrong, but didn't gandalf go across the sea, and to the pretty place where people live forever? Or do people die there too?[/quote]

Yes, Gandalf went over the Sea to Valinor, or the Undying Lands. He went with Frodo, Bilbo, Galadriel, Celeborn, Cirdan, and Elrond. No one dies in the Undying Lands, hence the name.[/quote]

Actually, people DO die in the Undying Lands. The name means that the land itself can never "die" of age. It will always look the same as it did at the beginning of time. I remember reading this in ROTK. :D

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 14th, 2006, 11:15 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Sure people can die there. Even Elves can die there even if they are not killed. Miriel, mother of Feanor did.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next