Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 24th, 2024, 12:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Boromir, Brave or Weak?
PostPosted: January 1st, 2006, 8:32 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

I personally think that boromir is a very brave and noble person and I think many people mistake him for some power hungry prince when infact he is noble and had been through alot.

afew factors that are important to note

1. boromir is involved in the ongoing fighting holding saurons forces at bay. he has had to help his father protecting other lands aswell as his own. it must have been hard for him and his father to not feel at least somewhat hard done by and abandoned by the other races of middle earth.

2. I dont think boromir understands completly why the ring cant be used to help his people and as a wepon to defeat sauron. without a reason it must have been dificult to watch while the fellowship destroy a valuable wepon.

3. boromir fights bravly for those weaker than him. he has long fought for his people and dies protecting the hobbits from the oncomming forces.

in the same way boromirs father is also misunderstood, also because of the way he is portraid in the film, in the book we see more of the good side to his father. I think its a shame that Boromir and his father are so misunderstood, well at least i think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2006, 9:18 pm 
Balrog
Balrog

I think I agree with what you are saying. I think he is brave because he gave up so much for a cause he didn't totally believe in. Boromir even gave up his life so that Frodo could destroy the very thing he believed could save his people. That, in itself, shows that he has qualities beyond what is portrayed on the surface.

"You said: I know that this will hurt, but if I don't break your heart then things will just get worse..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2006, 9:34 pm 
Istari
Istari

I think that Boromir was very brave. Falling under the power of the Ring definately does not mean that he is weak. Who can't fall under it??? He was very strong in helping the Fellowship, and he fought valiantly against all of those orcs. That part makes me so sad.... but it's also one of my favorite parts because of Boromir's bravery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 6:56 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

mine too, infact i would have to say that it is on par with the end of ROTK, emotionally. i thought his ending in the film was done very well

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 7:06 am 
Half-elf
Half-elf

I think he was very brave. He died trying to protect Merry and Pippin, even though the odds are totally stacked against him. Even after he was shot by the arrow he kept fighting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 9:00 am 
Vala
Vala

Boromir was valiant and noble, but he was weak when it came to resisting the temptation of the Ring. Normally he would not have been like that, but the Ring corrupted him. So I think that while strong in body, he was weak in mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 2:37 pm 

I think everybody has weaknesses, including Boromir, but that does not mean I condemn him for how he thought about the Ring. If you read the ending chapters of FotR, you find that Boromir was really influenced by evil--he was power-hungry. Yes, he believed he wanted the Ring to help his people, but in reality, he only wanted the Ring for selfish reasons--so that everyone would follow him and that he would be a great leader.
Even in the beginning of the film, mankind is said to desire power above all else--and especially in Tolkien's view, that was what characterised evil.
The great thing about Boromir is that in the end, he realises what he did and what he wanted was wrong. Instead of focusing on the present world and power--he sacrifices his life--throws it away, for the sake of others. That's what saves Boromir in the end--he gives his life up out of love for others. Boromir is one of the noblest characters in the book. It's probably the reason that he is my favourite character.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2006, 3:56 pm 

Boromir was not weak because he was tempted by the Ring. The Ring was very powerful, and even Galadriel [who is also very powerful was tempted by it] But, in the end Boromir realized he had done wrong, and that the Ring would do him or his kingdom no good. He was very brave to have given up his life for such a cause and so he did not die in vain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 3:52 pm 

It was definately a battle for Boromir. Was he going to end up giving in, and be weak, or was he going to be brave and win the battle within himself.
He began by being very weak, scheming how to get the ring, plotting, pretending he had lots of inner strength to handle it, and then trying to take the ring by force from a creature much smaller than himself. If that's not weakness, I don't know what is.

However, he ended by being brave and strong. He was knocked to his sences, so to speak, and redeemed himself by not only not going after Frodo, but defending Frodo's fellow hobbits, sacrificing his own life for theirs and the Quest. Aragorn himself said, as Boromir was dying in the books, that Boromir had conquored when Boromir said he'd failed. So both are true, but bravery won the day.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 6:46 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Many things above mentioned are very true and i can only say that they are good arguments. Like I said to some before, Boromir must be interpreted as a normal man fighting for his people and that amongst all the bravery and strength he has a weakness like any other and he admited it.

Almost everybody was tempted by the ring in some way like Larael said, even the elf lords. And now people sue Boromir that he had a lust for power. Well, maybe he had in a certain way (all had..),but honestly, its not a very lovely site to wake up in the morning and look out of the window and see darkness brewing over in Mordor day by day. Not to mention that Gondor was on the front line and here the fights were like a everyday routine. You would do anything to get rid of it and mostly people become blind by their desire be it for good or bad.

Without any doubts he is my favorite Character in the book and in the film becouse he is shown with a mistake, and openly confessed he made that mistake. And giving your life away for the cause of good is something that not many people would do... its a mighty and noble deed. He deserved my respect and frankly i see him as an idol in a certain way.

"They will watch Him from the White Tower, but they will not see him coming..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 7:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

He's a man, thus is inflicted, whether anyone likes or understands it or not, with man's gifts; strengths and weaknesses. So it's innevitable that it's a weaknesses that he lusts for the ring, because men lust for power, and the rings design, it's origins, were born out of lust for power. But he is noble, and in his last breaths, his nobility is shown, which makes up for his weakness.

However, I understand where your coming from, and though the movie perchance had to exagerate a few things(to get people to like it, to put it blatantly), people eventually do get the wrong assumptions. He was a valiant man, doing only what he thinks is right for his people. I'm sure most of us would do whatever we may for the ones we love.^^

http://www.arwen-undomiel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7521

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 7:35 pm 

Eruve Ivreniel wrote:
Aragorn himself said, as Boromir was dying in the books, that Boromir had conquored when Boromir said he'd failed. So both are true, but bravery won the day.

The quote you speak of is definately one of my favourites:

"'Farewell Aragorn! Go to Minas Tirith and save my people! I have failed.'
' No!' said Aragorn, taking his hand and kissing his brow. 'You have conquered. Few have gained such a victory. Be at peace! Minas Tirith shall not fall!'"

Yay for Boromir! He is an example of how people are--we have weaknesses, but we can all conquer them, and that's the greatest victory we can ever win.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 7:49 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

vikingmaiden wrote:
He is an example of how people are--we have weaknesses, but we can all conquer them, and that's the greatest victory we can ever win.

True to the very last word!

Unfortunetly, todays people lost a pretty big amount of the noble part in their lives. They notice their mistakes perhaps, but they do not admit they made them....its easier to blame someone else.

Sometimes, even half-stereotyped characters from fantasy books can set a pretty good example of how we should be in life in order to have success in it

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2006, 8:30 pm 
Istari
Istari

Very true... I don't think that Boromir was power hungry, he just was convinced that the Ring would help him to save Minas Tirith. Minas Tirith was his home, and he wanted to do anything he could to protect the city and his people. If he thought he could do this with the Ring, then he would probably try to get it by any means. Maybe Boromir's real problem isn't that he's power hungry, but that he's stubborn, because he won't listen to people like Aragorn telling him that he can't weild it. He's just detirmined to save Minas Tirith, and thinks he can do so through the Ring. (Plus, the Ring is very powerful and tempts even elves like Galadriel.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 8:29 am 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Aemornion wrote:
vikingmaiden wrote:
He is an example of how people are--we have weaknesses, but we can all conquer them, and that's the greatest victory we can ever win.

True to the very last word!

Unfortunetly, todays people lost a pretty big amount of the noble part in their lives. They notice their mistakes perhaps, but they do not admit they made them....its easier to blame someone else.

Sometimes, even half-stereotyped characters from fantasy books can set a pretty good example of how we should be in life in order to have success in it

it cirtainly is a sad truth. in todays society we seldom see this willingness to live up to our mistakes, we seldom see nobility and courage in the westen society anyway. when ppl suffer unfortunatly they dont put up with it they sue or blame others for their pain and dont think about the things they have done. this is why such stories bring a tear to my eye, because i hope one day to show or to see the same courage and nobility as in tales and stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2006, 10:33 am 

Rain-maker wrote:
in todays society we seldom see this willingness to live up to our mistakes, we seldom see nobility and courage in the westen society anyway. when ppl suffer unfortunatly they dont put up with it they sue or blame others for their pain and dont think about the things they have done.

Aye, there's just no responsibility for actions anymore. People often blame their parents for the wrong choices they've made, or blame 'society' or whatever. Sure, there's an element of how the environment shapes a person, but ultimately, we are responsible for our choices.

As with Boromir, he could have just blamed the Ring for twisting his mind, but he realised his choice was wrong. He took responsibility for his actions, and although he died in the end, he had a peace of mind about it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 130 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next