Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently March 29th, 2024, 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
 Post subject:
PostPosted: February 20th, 2007, 9:27 pm 
Ent
Ent

Eä wrote:
I read FotR last summer and the thing I remember the best from the chapters from Rivendell is Frodo's mending and the feast. When they open the doors after the banquet and the elves would sing and entertain each other all night at the great fire place. And then the long council where Gandalf sums up the everything-but-cheerful situation, but I always felt more attarcted to Rivendell. I had the impression it's a more lively place, and this might be based more on a feeling than on Tolkien's description.

I agree with you, Eä. I remember reading the chapters about Rivendell, and I could picture everything perfectly in my mind. To me, Rivendell is beautiful, and so is Lothlorien.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 4:04 am 
Movie Extra
Movie Extra

Isn't it interesting that they have to leave such homely, peaceful places in order to protect them? The fellowship could have been tempted easily to remain in Rivendell (or definitely Lothlorien), but as Elrond says, destruction would still find them. Even the Elves couldn't remain there at the end. Why is it that we have to leave home in order to discover our true homes?

~*The road must be trod, but it will be very hard. And neither strength nor wisdom will carry us far upon it. *~ Gandalf the White

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 6:58 am 
Vala
Vala

The Elves left because they had grown weary of the world and desired to finally leave to Valinor. It wasn't as though they were driven out.

However, in answer to your other question, I think it is necessary to leave home, because then we become more personally aware of other places, and whether or not we like them, and how we fit in. Rivendell and Lothlórien are both places that I think anyone of the Free Peoples could love to stay. The same is not true of other places of Middle-earth, or just plain earth. Some of us might feel comfortable in one place, and others in a very different place. The place where we feel most comfortable, and become the most attached to, could be considered 'home'. In some cases, 'home' is exactly the same place you left, but in most, we have to leave our comfort zone in order to find a better one. :)

I hope that made sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 9:25 pm 
Ringwraith
Ringwraith

I love Lothlorien! Such a peaceful elvish place! :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 7th, 2007, 10:05 pm 
Ent
Ent

Inkling wrote:
Isn't it interesting that they have to leave such homely, peaceful places in order to protect them? The fellowship could have been tempted easily to remain in Rivendell (or definitely Lothlorien), but as Elrond says, destruction would still find them. Even the Elves couldn't remain there at the end. Why is it that we have to leave home in order to discover our true homes?

Whoa :surprise:. That's amazing, Inkling. I agree, but still...wow. What a good way to put it.

Aerandir wrote:
The Elves left because they had grown weary of the world and desired to finally leave to Valinor. It wasn't as though they were driven out.

However, in answer to your other question, I think it is necessary to leave home, because then we become more personally aware of other places, and whether or not we like them, and how we fit in. Rivendell and Lothlórien are both places that I think anyone of the Free Peoples could love to stay. The same is not true of other places of Middle-earth, or just plain earth. Some of us might feel comfortable in one place, and others in a very different place. The place where we feel most comfortable, and become the most attached to, could be considered 'home'. In some cases, 'home' is exactly the same place you left, but in most, we have to leave our comfort zone in order to find a better one.

I hope that made sense.

You made perfect sense, Aerandir. I agree with you.

Lady Raine of the Rangers wrote:
I love Lothlorien! Such a peaceful elvish place!

Very straight foward, Lady Raine of the Rangers, but says what I think we all feel :).

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 10:17 am 
Vala
Vala

w00t! I made sense for once. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 8th, 2007, 8:51 pm 
Ent
Ent

Aerandir wrote:
w00t! I made sense for once. :)

You make sense a lot, Aerandir :). Don't worry.

Post subject: Not here...not now...
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 9:45 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

The fullness of Lothlorien, as much as it thrills us, cannot be fully experienced in a land choked in darkness. It is a place that we long for—a place of beauty, fullness, perfect relationship and peace. Occasionally Lorien teases us; appearing allusively in flashes of inspiration and dreams: In a fair moment, a whiff of memory, or a vision nearly found—hovering on the border of our consciousness.

As we lap up the essence of those fleeting pictures of ecstasy, we suddenly realize that we must have it. It is not optional. We must have this life. Resolving to do whatever it takes to get it, we set out on this quest—certain that the perfect life we desire is out there somewhere, just around the corner—waiting for us. We will create our heaven here amid the brokenness and strife of our land.

But both the fortunes of elves and men stand as a warning to the folly of such a course. Lothlorien, as much as we are taken with it, stood in the shadow of an irretrievably ruined land. It was Sauron’s design that the 3 rings should slow that decay and preserve a truly hellish condition which was only a semblance of the elves desire. Even Elrond said, “"It would have been better if the Three had never been."

Yet the Elves in Rivendell and Lórien lingered, not leaving for Valinor, hanging on to imperfect shadows and desires for what might have been. And each passing year became more sorrowful to them. They couldn’t create the life of their dreams here. It was noble for the Elves to heal beauty and nature but in the mean time men and elves were getting killed and most of Middle-earth suffered under the dark shadow. As much as we love the elves, this was terribly misguided of them. And it was certainly not Ilúvatar's plan or solution to the problem.

And what about the nine kings of men? The rings the Dark Lord offered were only a curse to them though they came with the bright promise of fulfilling their desires for power, wealth, happiness and avoiding the "Doom of Men," which was an ultimate death and removal from the Circles of the World. Their quest of the perfect life in this world slowed down time, stretching their existence but it was hardly a blessing and cost them their souls. As men sought to arrange for the life of their dreams, they were unaware that even mortality is a blessing in this land. It is a gift of freedom and is a gift from God.

Yet the wonder and beauty of Lothlorien is not all lost on us. It is a reminder of our true destiny. A wonder of beauty that reminds us of a life and love that is yet to be consummated. There is a place (and I believe Frodo found it) where our yearnings and desires will be fulfilled—a place of beauty, fullness, perfect relationship and peace.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: Not here...not now...
PostPosted: May 30th, 2007, 9:09 pm 
Ent
Ent

Sinbearer wrote:
The fullness of Lothlorien, as much as it thrills us, cannot be fully experienced in a land choked in darkness. It is a place that we long for—a place of beauty, fullness, perfect relationship and peace. Occasionally Lorien teases us; appearing allusively in flashes of inspiration and dreams: In a fair moment, a whiff of memory, or a vision nearly found—hovering on the border of our consciousness.

As we lap up the essence of those fleeting pictures of ecstasy, we suddenly realize that we must have it. It is not optional. We must have this life. Resolving to do whatever it takes to get it, we set out on this quest—certain that the perfect life we desire is out there somewhere, just around the corner—waiting for us. We will create our heaven here amid the brokenness and strife of our land.

But both the fortunes of elves and men stand as a warning to the folly of such a course. Lothlorien, as much as we are taken with it, stood in the shadow of an irretrievably ruined land. It was Sauron’s design that the 3 rings should slow that decay and preserve a truly hellish condition which was only a semblance of the elves desire. Even Elrond said, “"It would have been better if the Three had never been."

Yet the Elves in Rivendell and Lórien lingered, not leaving for Valinor, hanging on to imperfect shadows and desires for what might have been. And each passing year became more sorrowful to them. They couldn’t create the life of their dreams here. It was noble for the Elves to heal beauty and nature but in the mean time men and elves were getting killed and most of Middle-earth suffered under the dark shadow. As much as we love the elves, this was terribly misguided of them. And it was certainly not Ilúvatar's plan or solution to the problem.

And what about the nine kings of men? The rings the Dark Lord offered were only a curse to them though they came with the bright promise of fulfilling their desires for power, wealth, happiness and avoiding the "Doom of Men," which was an ultimate death and removal from the Circles of the World. Their quest of the perfect life in this world slowed down time, stretching their existence but it was hardly a blessing and cost them their souls. As men sought to arrange for the life of their dreams, they were unaware that even mortality is a blessing in this land. It is a gift of freedom and is a gift from God.

Yet the wonder and beauty of Lothlorien is not all lost on us. It is a reminder of our true destiny. A wonder of beauty that reminds us of a life and love that is yet to be consummated. There is a place (and I believe Frodo found it) where our yearnings and desires will be fulfilled—a place of beauty, fullness, perfect relationship and peace.

Oh, wow :jawdrop:, Sinbearer. That was beatiful. You couldn't have described Lothlorien better. That was perfect. Wow. Once, again, you amaze me.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 185 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12