Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 19th, 2024, 10:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 21st, 2006, 2:32 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

isn't there another book about tom? i'm sure there is, so wouldn't that give more clues as to what goldberry is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 5th, 2006, 12:51 pm 
Rider of Rohan
Rider of Rohan

Tom Bombadil and Goldberry are enigmas in the Middle-earth world, and defy classification according to the mythology. Tolkien himself says this in his letters (book page 174). However a recent theory advanced by some that makes sens to me is that he placed these characters in the story and actually represent the male and female version of the reader themselves.

Why would he do this? Tolkine may have done this for two purposes:

1. To give the reader a haven (the House of Tom Bombadil) from which to follow the story without feeling threatened by the darker or more poignant aprts of the book.

2. To take that theory further. The Hobbit was a childs story. Lord of the Rings is quite different. He may have wanted that safe place for the readers (you and me) to feel reassured. He was very protective of his readers, and he wanted to allow them to be drawn further into the story.

Today's writers are quite different in their approach to consistency, so most of us that write would not be familiar with this technique.

I think it's a good explanation, even if there's no way to be certain.

So, Goldberry and Tom will remain outside the consistency of the realm of Middle-earth, and defy definition as an elf, or Maia, or even God.

Chaleins

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 31st, 2006, 9:25 pm 

That's always bugged me, because she obviously has long life and is beautiful, like an elf. But I've always pictured her, as said, as a Naiad. I guess we'll never know.

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 9th, 2007, 7:36 pm 
Elf
Elf

I like thinking of her as a Naiad. But we really don't know what either of them are and do we need to???

~Extreme Evanescent~

~Claimed Elladan July 03, 2007~ :3

Post subject: The Circles of the World...
PostPosted: June 12th, 2007, 12:24 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I really resonate with what you said Chaleins of Norbury. Mystery that is not totally known is all around us in the realm of our "reality". There is no doubt Goldberrry is an enigma. Tolkien says on 272 in the Letters book that “we are not in ‘fairy-land’ but in real river-lands in autumn. Goldberry represents the actual seasonal changes in such lands.” And he reinforces the importance of that statement by saying that “personally I think that she had far better disappear than make a meaningless appearance.” Even though she is enigmatic, her appearance is meaningful and, I think perhaps, meaningful to each of us in different ways.

What is meaningful to us about the seasonal changes? Aren’t they tied into every part of our lives? The change of seasons is one of the most significant phenomena of the natural world, especially in the temperate regions. Not only do many plants and animals depend on this yearly cycle, but the weather does also and perhaps even our moods. And what do we say about the different "seasons" of life? Plus, the seasonal change is timeless. It is as old as our planet and has had a major role in the lives of humans from the beginning. And as long as there are humans it will remain. (Goldberry must have been as timeless as Tom and maybe even more enmesh with ME than he!)

I have spoken to friends that have moved away from the temperate regions where the seasonal changes are less noticeable and, without exception, they miss them. There is something invigorating, restful, and refreshing about them. It puts us in sync with the timeless circles of our world and our universe.

The hobbits themselves needed some rest and refreshment when they met Goldberry and Tom. And who could do that better than someone who was the embodiment of something that they were so entwined with and knew so intimately from birth. In light of this, I think your thoughts on a restful haven and safe place for the reader fit really well.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 16th, 2007, 6:45 am 
Dwarf
Dwarf

I think she is something like Bombadil ore some of his creations :)

she is not an Elf, men, and definitly not a dwarf....
and i think she is not a maia... because it is told thet there are only Barlogs, wizzards and Sauron is a maia too...

But I think thet should remain mistery couse Tolkien wonted to be like that :)

Profile       WWW            

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2007, 11:33 am 
Elf
Elf

Wow. Very well put Sinbearer.

~Extreme Evanescent~

~Claimed Elladan July 03, 2007~ :3

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2