Rules      FAQ       Register        Login
It is currently April 18th, 2024, 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: A Defense of Character: Boromir
PostPosted: January 21st, 2007, 7:56 pm 
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor
Dunedain Ranger of Arnor

Lady Rinoa wrote:
... "Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Anduril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn.

'Loud and clear it sounds in the valleys of the hills,' he said, 'and then let all the foes of Gondor flee!' Putting it to his lips he blew a blast, and the echoes leapt from rock to rock, and all that heard that voice in Rivendell sprang to their feet.

'Slow should you be to wind that horn again, Boromir,' said Elrond, 'until you stand once more on the borders of your land, and dire need is on you.'

'Maybe,' said Boromir. 'But always I have let my horn cry at setting forth, and though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night.'" (FOTR, pg.272)

This wonderful passage shows us how the determined Boromir always wears his pride. Even to Elrond of Rivendell Boromir does not apologize for winding his horn, for it is a custom that he holds dear. His honesty also shines in the line “I will not go forth as a thief in the night.” No matter the danger of the journey ahead, Boromir stuck to his customs.

Throughout the journey, Boromir's skills prove useful and beneficial to the whole of the Fellowship. In fact, without Boromir's strength and courage the Fellowship may not have made it back down Caradhras in the early stages of the quest. He is the one who suggested bringing as much wood as they could up the mountain to make fire. Without Boromir’s help in this quest, half of the Hobbits most likely would have fallen, and the Fellowship would have suffered a great loss in the area of battle. The character of Boromir is up there with his brother Faramir and even with Aragorn in valor, strength, and sacrifice. He was an honorable warrior who cared tremendously for those he swore to protect. Minas Tirith itself would have fallen if not for the valiant efforts of Boromir prior to his leaving for Rivendell. He rode solitarily to Imladris to seek an answer to a dream and attend the Council of Elrond- a journey that took one hundred and ten long days. Boromir proved on many occasions that he was indeed a noble and knowledgeable man worthy of the utmost of remembrance. Without the help he provided to Gondor and to the quest, who knows what would have went astray.

Quite true what you say. In the books, Boromir's character was never in question. It was his inability to stand against the calling of the Ring that led to his momentary lapse. His character was strong and true, and where Boromir stood out as the stronger, older brother, and more like his father and favored by him, Faramir, more reserved and more like his mother, stood out in the end as the wiser. This isn't a character flaw, just differences in the brothers personalities.

The Free Company of Arnor
~ ~ ~

Durian: Dúnedain Ranger of the North: Rhudaurian Lineage
- - - -
Roleplay Repository

Profile       WWW            

Post subject: Not too late....
PostPosted: February 1st, 2007, 2:21 am 
Gondorian
Gondorian

I like what you said Hanasían. Just like in the biblical story of Jacob and Esau, the brothers were so different. Each in good ways. And just like in the biblical story their father acted in a counterproductive way. If a father can treat his children with selfless love and respect, encouraging each according to their temperaments, it can make such a difference in the children. The biblical Isaac botched it royal with desasterous effects and so did Denethor. It is so sad but we should take note--especially us guys--because for many of us, it is not too late to do it right.

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject: Re: A Defense of Character: Boromir
PostPosted: February 4th, 2007, 6:44 pm 
Istari
Istari

Location: From the north I have come, need has driven me and I have passed the doors to the path of the M6

Hanasían wrote:
Lady Rinoa wrote:
... "Boromir had a long sword, in fashion like Anduril but of less lineage, and he bore also a shield and his war-horn.

'Loud and clear it sounds in the valleys of the hills,' he said, 'and then let all the foes of Gondor flee!' Putting it to his lips he blew a blast, and the echoes leapt from rock to rock, and all that heard that voice in Rivendell sprang to their feet.

'Slow should you be to wind that horn again, Boromir,' said Elrond, 'until you stand once more on the borders of your land, and dire need is on you.'

'Maybe,' said Boromir. 'But always I have let my horn cry at setting forth, and though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night.'" (FOTR, pg.272)

This wonderful passage shows us how the determined Boromir always wears his pride. Even to Elrond of Rivendell Boromir does not apologize for winding his horn, for it is a custom that he holds dear. His honesty also shines in the line “I will not go forth as a thief in the night.” No matter the danger of the journey ahead, Boromir stuck to his customs.

Throughout the journey, Boromir's skills prove useful and beneficial to the whole of the Fellowship. In fact, without Boromir's strength and courage the Fellowship may not have made it back down Caradhras in the early stages of the quest. He is the one who suggested bringing as much wood as they could up the mountain to make fire. Without Boromir’s help in this quest, half of the Hobbits most likely would have fallen, and the Fellowship would have suffered a great loss in the area of battle. The character of Boromir is up there with his brother Faramir and even with Aragorn in valor, strength, and sacrifice. He was an honorable warrior who cared tremendously for those he swore to protect. Minas Tirith itself would have fallen if not for the valiant efforts of Boromir prior to his leaving for Rivendell. He rode solitarily to Imladris to seek an answer to a dream and attend the Council of Elrond- a journey that took one hundred and ten long days. Boromir proved on many occasions that he was indeed a noble and knowledgeable man worthy of the utmost of remembrance. Without the help he provided to Gondor and to the quest, who knows what would have went astray.

Quite true what you say. In the books, Boromir's character was never in question. It was his inability to stand against the calling of the Ring that led to his momentary lapse. His character was strong and true, and where Boromir stood out as the stronger, older brother, and more like his father and favored by him, Faramir, more reserved and more like his mother, stood out in the end as the wiser. This isn't a character flaw, just differences in the brothers personalities.

I think that Lady Rinoas and this are both gr8 explanations. I thik taht Boromir just wanted to defend Gondor.Men like Isildur,a true numenorean had faltered before so I think its unfair to single out Boromir. At least Boromir had tried to redeem homself by dying to protect frodo and had fought very valiently.Him and faramir were liek a double team, one with superiro leadership characteristics and another with knowledge and skill on a tactical level. Also u meantioned th epride. This si like Boromir has to maintain th eGondorian way maybe to keep th edays of Strength an dvalour alive .Boromir was a skillful man and one momentary lapse and most judge him harshly for it. I think that he was a good man, with inherent human flaws,and a great desire to preserve his people, his culture taht blinded him to the evil of the ring.

"This is the hour of the Shire-folk, when they arise from their quiet fields to shake the towers and counsels of the Great. Who of all the Wise could have foreseen it? Or, if they are wise, why should they expect to know it, until the hour has struck? "

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2007, 11:11 pm 

@ Sinbearer: I really liked your parallel to the story of Jacob and Esau! It really puts things into a different perspective concerning the two brothers. It really is amazing the way a father can have such an effect on his sons. Denethor completely spited Faramir and spoiled Boromir, yet look how they turned out. I do not believe Faramir could really be considered "better" than Boromir, I just think that Boromir might have been a bit more proud and boastful in his ways [which was not completely his fault].

Post subject: Again and again!
PostPosted: May 28th, 2007, 9:30 pm 
Gondorian
Gondorian

Yes Larael. It is easy to make distictions based on how well we perceive they lived their lives. But it truly isn't all over till it is done. It is all about how we finish. Boromir and Faramir both finished well and we thrill at each life at different points but the wonder is no less there in either case.

Certainly there are descriptions of each son in the story that I love to go back and read. Again and again! I really do!

Profile       WWW     YIM        

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2007, 10:46 pm 
Elf
Elf

That's really good, Rinoa...

*At a loss for words*

~Extreme Evanescent~

~Claimed Elladan July 03, 2007~ :3

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2